Times: Finding buyers for the dead wood is Manchester United’s biggest challenge this window

Lemansky

The last time we actually managed to ship off plenty of players was Van gaal second season where he let go Nani, Chicharito, Rafael, Janujaz etc. Ironically the only time we actually managed to ship off players was the kind of players we could have done without selling.
You kind of answered your own question there :lol:

The main reason it’s difficult is their high wages combined with underperforming and injuries.

Phil Jones has been poor while playing, injured a lot and has a very big weekly wage packet. It’s pretty self explanatory that he is difficult to shift. We have plenty of players in the high wages while underperforming bracket. Add injury prone on top and you have the answer.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

The main reason it’s difficult is their high wages combined with underperforming and injuries.

Phil Jones has been poor while playing, injured a lot and has a very big weekly wage packet. It’s pretty self explanatory that he is difficult to shift. We have plenty of players in the high wages while underperforming bracket. Add injury prone on top and you have the answer.
You need to blame our negotiations team (I believe Matt Judge is in charge of this) for offering high wages to mediocre players.
Even if we offered £5k per week to Phil Jones, he'd probably still stay, because he knows that no other club would pay him a wage. I think some clubs would step forward for him, on a pay as you play contract, though.

-Supreme-

Time to release Lingard and Andreas.

Mata will be next when we bought Sancho :drool:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think we'll manage to sell or loan Romero, Smalling, Jones, Pereira, Mata and Rojo. Lingard will stay as depth for the attack since I don't think we'll bring anyone in there. Kind of funny that we have 7 CB in the squad as of right now, so obviously 3 need to leave asap.

Josep Dowling

I’m sure it’s been said before but the club knew all this before his contract renewal last year. We were also looking to shift a couple of CBs. So why on earth did they offer him a 4 year plus 1 contract? Whoever did that needs the sack.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
With Smalling going, if we can manage to get rid of 2 or 3 out of Rojo, Jones, Romero (regrettably - good keeper) & Pereira the squad will look and feel a hell of a lot leaner.

Cant see us getting Mata out of a £160k contract, and im not convinced that Ole is done with Lingard just yet.

We are getting there though. Sanchez was the big one and thats thankfully sorted.

davidmichael

Looks like Smalling is off so with Henderson coming back making Romero available we’re looking at Romero, Jones, Rojo, Pereira and Mata as well as fringe players in the under 23’s.

I think Lingard will stay simply because he’d accept a back up role in the squad and he’s probably on form the best of the three between himself, Mata and Pereira so looking at the deadwood we should bring in around £40-£45 million not to mention about £500K a week in wages as well.

croadyman

Looks like Smalling is off so with Henderson coming back making Romero available we’re looking at Romero, Jones, Rojo, Pereira and Mata as well as fringe players in the under 23’s.

I think Lingard will stay simply because he’d accept a back up role in the squad and he’s probably on form the best of the three between himself, Mata and Pereira so looking at the deadwood we should bring in around £40-£45 million not to mention about £500K a week in wages as well.
Yeah we may keep Lingard because get the impression that we are getting more for Smalling that mant predicted

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We are getting there though. Sanchez was the big one and thats thankfully sorted.
Agreed Sanchez was the main one to get rid of and that's been done, I'm sure Smalling will go (and it's looking like he will now) and likewise unfortunately Romero. It was always going to be hard to shift Lingard, Andreas and Jones though

Lingard is on what? 100k+ as week? Who's going to match that for a player who almost went 2 years without a league goal or assist? Jones who's never fit? Andreas who's just very very poor. I'm sure Rojo will go but might be another loan

Craig Ward

Surprised there hasnt been movement with Smalling - seems a straightforward one to get done.

Bar Romero - i havent noticed any credible links to outgoings from us, which is a bit of a concern as we probably need to shift 5 or 6 this window.

Why did Lingard go with Riola if he wasnt angling for a move away?
Whats going on with Rojo? Is he still burning toast in Argentina?
I suspect Dalot/Periera would be easy to shift abroad and we just need to bite the bullet and let Jones go for free.

Garner/Levitt need loans as well.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surprised there hasnt been movement with Smalling - seems a straightforward one to get done.

Bar Romero - i havent noticed any credible links to outgoings from us, which is a bit of a concern as we probably need to shift 5 or 6 this window.

Why did Lingard go with Riola if he wasnt angling for a move away?
Whats going on with Rojo? Is he still burning toast in Argentina?
I suspect Dalot/Periera would be easy to shift abroad and we just need to bite the bullet and let Jones go for free.

Garner/Levitt need loans as well.
Can't remember where but I saw Newcastle were linked.

Al-T

Personally, if we're not bringing in a new CB, I'd be keeping Smalling. He at least offers a decent defensive option and appears to have resolved his injury issues.

With Jones and Rojo, it's gone beyond whether they are any good. They're never fit. Whatever your opinion of Lindelof/Maguire they have, at least, been physically robust. If we let Smalling go, we're screwed if one or both are out for any length of time.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Personally, if we're not bringing in a new CB, I'd be keeping Smalling. He at least offers a decent defensive option and appears to have resolved his injury issues.

With Jones and Rojo, it's gone beyond whether they are any good. They're never fit. Whatever your opinion of Lindelof/Maguire they have, at least, been physically robust. If we let Smalling go, we're screwed if one or both are out for any length of time.
Smalling is better anyway

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
So where are our outgoings
Very good question. If we haven't shipped out some unneeded players by the time the season starts you gotta start worrying.

Lets face it, the players that need shifting have needed shifting for some time. They didn't go last year and I'm not that optimistic we'll get them out this year either.

Banana Republic

Time to release Lingard and Andreas.

Mata will be next when we bought Sancho :drool:
....Cant see us getting Mata out of a £160k contract, and im not convinced that Ole is done with Lingard just yet....
Mata has one year left on his contract, after which he’ll likely be released on a free.
I can’t see him being released this year and I doubt we could get much for him anyway, so I think it’s worth keeping him as a back up.
Lots of experience and he might come in useful in the domestic cups, if we’re going to ration first choice player’s appearances in those competitions.

croadyman

Yeah I am coming round to that way of thinking now as well because Ole has to be concerned about how fit Axel & Eric can stay throughout the season

Green_Red

When did we start to think that we would get money for Lingard? Seriously?
Its a good thing he has that clothing range and knows how to stitch a seam because he has no clue how to thread a pass...

croadyman

Yeah the outgoings seem far too quiet at the moment which is worrying

RuudTom83

Whilst Ole & Woody seem to be getting to grips with in the incomings, something they really need to stop doing is handing out silly extensions.

They must be aware by now that the squad players are on higher salaries than most other team starting elevens.

Yeah the outgoings seem far too quiet at the moment which is worrying
I think it’s very difficult for every club. Looks to me like there is a correction in how much clubs are paying players, as a result it’s going to be harder to move on those who are paid more than they are worth.

wolvored

We should let Jones go on a free. no one will pay good money for a player who is injured virtually all the time. Someone might take him on a pay as you play. We should at least take the shirt off him and give the No 4 to someone more deserving.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We should let Jones go on a free. no one will pay good money for a player who is injured virtually all the time. Someone might take him on a pay as you play. We should at least take the shirt off him and give the No 4 to someone more deserving.
Contracts work both ways!

M16Red

Need to sell some players or release them.

Phil Jones is a waste of space.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Who in their right minds gave Phil a contract up to 2023
Apparently it was to protect his resale value. Problem is.....nobody will buy him because a) he's always injured b) his wages are too high c) Because he's Phil Jones

flappyjay

Apparently it was to protect his resale value. Problem is.....nobody will buy him because a) he's always injured b) his wages are too high c) Because he's Phil Jones
I swear whoever is in charge of that aspect of things is out of touch with reality. Same goes for Rojo his contract should have been allowed to expire.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Perhaps his new contract was a reduction from his previous one. He likely knows he won't get anything close to what we've paid him over the years anywhere else, so extending for less would still make sense financially.

Strelok

I swear whoever is in charge of that aspect of things is out of touch with reality. Same goes for Rojo his contract should have been allowed to expire.
They were just clueless. None of our board had any experience in football. You put a bunch of football amateurs in charge and this is what you get. They gave Rojo and Jones big contracts to 'protect their assets' but decided to offer Herrera a new contract only after he had agreed terms with PSG. In his last fecking year. And we paid £40m for Herrera, £18m for Jones and £16m for Rojo. Protect my arse.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Remember all the posters earlier in summer saying we'll get 20m for him, 15m for him, 10m for him etc........

Have we actually sold anyone yet? Sanchez has gone but i don't think paying somebody off £6m is quite what people had in their heads is it?

Fosu-Mens

Remember all the posters earlier in summer saying we'll get 20m for him, 15m for him, 10m for him etc........

Have we actually sold anyone yet? Sanchez has gone but i don't think paying somebody off £6m is quite what people had in their heads is it?
Well, actually, around what I expected for Sanchez.

The rest of the players are not going for much either: Played poorly in an underperforming team for years, injuries, stupid wages, in general subpar players... Why would we get payed for them?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Jones and Rojo have to be Free transfers, its the only way you'll get either off the books, but then, those players have been awarded new contracts, and they have no desire to leave when they are getting paid tens of thousands each week for doing absolutely nothing.

Godfather

This has been the most dissapointing factor of our transfer window so far. Really thought we would get rid of some of the deadwood. Jones is stealing a living here. Lingard, Mata and Pereira are also stealing squad places.

crossy1686

career ending
This has been the most dissapointing factor of our transfer window so far. Really thought we would get rid of some of the deadwood. Jones is stealing a living here. Lingard, Mata and Pereira are also stealing squad places.
The problem is that they're no one's first choice are they? Big salaries, twilight years, injury prone, failed at a big club. Who wants to take that on? We'll see them move late in the window when teams start panic buying after missing out on their primary targets.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The problem is that they're no one's first choice are they? Big salaries, twilight years, injury prone, failed at a big club. Who wants to take that on? We'll see them move late in the window when teams start panic buying after missing out on their primary targets.
I hope so but I'm not sure we will see that. I think COVID19 has hit a lot of clubs' finances harder than any of us realise. Even in a normal summer we might struggle to get shot of them, we have in the past. This summer hardly any money has been spent besides by Chelsea. If we keep holding out for decent money I would not be surprised if a lot of players we'd like to move on end up staying.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We've got Sanchez off the books, which didn't seem likely at all at the start of the window. I'm confident Smalling and Mata will go and have a feeling Lingard might too with the agent change. I think we're probably stuck with Pereira though.