Times when teams should have cashed in?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
But those players gave them 4-5 years worth of top 4 finishes and excellent CL runs. I think that is worth a lot more than making a short term profit on them and taking a risk with their replacements who may or may not come good.

I agree with you that there is a right time for teams like Spurs to sell players, but it is conditional on have upcoming replacements already within the ranks who can take over in a couple of seasons. So you have a revolving door of small transfers every few seasons and don't go looking for a replacement when you lose a key player. And Levy seems to be the kind of person who never buys new players until he is low on numbers or a player turns into absolute shit.
It’s just something I felt at the time, especially when it came to Rose and Dier. The two CBs were the right age to sell and making sounds about sitting out contracts, as was Eriksen.

Their ability can be debated, but I felt the timing was pretty obvious, even then. They ended up bungling Eriksen and missing the boat to sell Alderweireld.

I always felt like Poch had them fighting above their true ability and I also think most squads benefit from a refresh after that long. I think Levy would have been best served backing the manager and rejuvenating the squad, rather than backing those players and underselling how well Poch did with them.

Supports
England
It’s just something I felt at the time, especially when it came to Rose and Dier. The two CBs were the right age to sell and making sounds about sitting out contracts, as was Eriksen.

Their ability can be debated, but I felt the timing was pretty obvious, even then. They ended up bungling Eriksen and missing the boat to sell Alderweireld.

I always felt like Poch had them fighting above their true ability and I also think most squads benefit from a refresh after that long. I think Levy would have been best served backing the manager and rejuvenating the squad, rather than backing those players and underselling how well Poch did with them.
If Levy had actually done this, he would've been regarded as a total fecking madman. With hindsight, it clearly would've been the right decision. Maybe it would've even been the right decision at the time. But you would've needed balls of steel to accept that level of risk vs reward. I get the impression that Levy is shrewd and smart but also risk-averse and not prone to big gambles.

It's a shame, because better management of transfers during those peak few years could've seen Spurs win silverware. (Shame in the sense that they could've blocked other clubs that most neutrals and Utd fans dislike a lot more than Spurs. And also because basic empathy drives a lot of people to feel that some of those Spurs players, e.g. Kane, deserve a trophy in their careers for their loyalty and talent.)

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative

I'm with you on Rose. It's was pretty obvious the guy was playing at a good level on the back of a good team set up by a competent coach. The time to sell him was in 2018 when Mou desperately wanted to sign him and Rose's value was at it's peak. Ed isn't thanked enough for not biting at that idea!

As to the Belgian defenders and Eriksen, all of them were good quality and Spurs should've kept them, since replacing them at a reasonable cost would have been difficult. But once Spurs knew they weren't going to sign an extension, possibly they should have been more open to listening offers for them. I suppose Levy's tendency to play hard ball came in the way here, which doesn't quite cut it when Spurs have poor leverage over keeping the player. But you could also say that they were gambling running their contracts into the last 12 months - Alderweireld ended up re-signing but Eriksen was sold cheaply.

Absolutely, it is abundantly clear now that Poch's left and we see the drop in levels of some of their erstwhile quality players. Club's not rejunevating their squad's regularly (a la SAF) is a recurrent theme and the stagnancy in personnel always seem to bite a manager in the arse. As another poster said Levy is quite risk averse and we couldn't expect him to try to fix something which wasn't broken. Although if they had consistently refreshed their squad previously, they might have still had Poch at the helm and needn't spend heavily this summer after Covid.

Reactions: Penna

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
After winning the league Feyenoord turned down a bid of 17 million (I think by Newcastle) for Nikolai Jorgensen. He is still with us and I doubt anyone would pay over a tenner to employ the perpetually injured and rubbish guy now.

17 million for us is like 170 million for a club like United, mind.
Haha yeah that seems to be the latest Dutch example... Mentioned this one as well earlier this thread:

Good example in The Netherlands is that a couple summers ago Newcastle were in for Nicolai Jorgensen and willing to pay almost 20 million euro's (crazy money for a Dutch club at that time)... They rejected and he has been only shit ór injured since then....

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I still half expect him to become sort of good again. It's like he simply forgot how to play football entirely.
He has the luck that he has all the time in the world to regain some form, as it appears Advocaat has zero confidence in the only alternative Bozenik... He only needs to stay fit for a while and we'll see how he develops..

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He has the luck that he has all the time in the world to regain some form, as it appears Advocaat has zero confidence in the only alternative Bozenik... He only needs to stay fit for a while and we'll see how he develops..
Bozenik is one of the worst professional football players I've ever seen. It's almost like that fraud in England a few years back. Ali Dia or something?