Times when teams should have cashed in?

SambaBoy

Was speaking to a friend the other day, and he mentioned that United should've cashed in on De Gea when we had the chance. I'm not sure what the fee was when Madrid came in for him, but it was a decent offer plus Navas. I don't completely agree as he was still quality for 1-2 seasons.

It did get us talking about other times when clubs should've cashed in. I'm thinking Spurs in the last 5 years probably should've cashed in on Alli and Rose. Rose is struggling to find a club now when at one point, there was talks of £40-50m bids. I'm not sure Rose carried on his form after that and started picking up injuries. Same with Alli, after them two great season, he was linked with United/Madrid etc for £60-80m. Doesn't seem to be much interest in him now and will struggle to get back in the Spurs squad.

So when has a club kept a player despite strong interest from elsewhere only for the players form to plummet?

Nickelodeon

Arsenal-Ozil

They could've let him go for 10-15 million in the same January when they sold Sanchez. Now he's their Sanchez.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
With no CV-19 I think we would have sold Pogba to Juventus for ~£90m this summer and funded Sancho and possibly a centre back too.

padzilla

Hipster
I still think AC Milan building a side made up of players in their late 30s, despite them all being brilliant, was short sighted. The next generation was not coming through at all. We could have cashed in on Rooney when he wanted to leave under Moyes and it wouldn't have made any difference to our results over the next few years.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Sure Palace have had massive bids for Zaha they should maybe have taken.

Bobade

Thats on us not them. They set a price and a deadline to allow them time to get a replacement and we fecked it up.
That is nothing to do with it though. He's saying they should have cashed in, at whatever they could get for him. Spending power of clubs may not be the same next summer, and maybe no one will be in for him. Maybe he will have an underwhelming season and have less interest.

PINGUtd

In a retroperspective we should have shipped Januzay for these claimed 50Mio to PSG.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I still think AC Milan building a side made up of players in their late 30s, despite them all being brilliant, was short sighted. The next generation was not coming through at all. We could have cashed in on Rooney when he wanted to leave under Moyes and it wouldn't have made any difference to our results over the next few years.
Wasn't there discontent between Rooney and Fergie around the time Fergie retired? I vaguely remember Chelsea being linked with him one summer,and a lot of the talk at the time was surrounding Rooney supposed frosty relationship with Fergie.

On the subject though, who was that West Brom striker that Spurs bid £25-30m for years ago, who was desperate to leave, but all bids were rejected. Forgot his name, but I think West Brom would bite Spurs' arm off now if they could go back in time. .

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It happens a lot at smaller clubs, too often to mention really. Player has a sudden upturn in form, attracts interest from big club, selling club wants ridiculous fee, big club pulls out, player is upset and disillusioned, experiences downturn in form, is sold to another smaller club for a fraction of the fee they wanted from the big club 1 or 2 years later.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wasn't there discontent between Rooney and Fergie around the time Fergie retired? I vaguely remember Chelsea being linked with him one summer,and a lot of the talk at the time was surrounding Rooney supposed frosty relationship with Fergie.

On the subject though, who was that West Brom striker that Spurs bid £25-30m for years ago, who was desperate to leave, but all bids were rejected. Forgot his name, but I think West Brom would bite Spurs' arm off now if they could go back in time. .
Saido Berahino?

Deery

Dreary
Unpopular opinion but we should have cashed in on Rooney and went for Aguero..

jackal&hyde

Sancho it's the most obvious one. Football finances are not improving for at least another year so i'd be surprised if they get more the 70 mil for him.

saivet

Chelsea when they were getting big bids from Barca for Willian.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Us not selling Tuanzebe after that promotion season with Villa. High demand with the CV to back it that summer.

Time will tell on this one but I genuinely think Dean Henderson this summer gone could have fetched a very strong fee. Not that I doubt his ability, I just feel we’re stuck with De Gea for the foreseeable.

Palace - Wilfried Zaha
Newcastle - Sean Longstaff
Chelsea - Willian
Stoke - Jack Butland

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Saido Berahino?
That's it.

Just looking him up, he was sold to Stoke for half the price Spurs were offering, who then released him 2 years after that. He's now on loan from one random Belgian club to another random Belgian club.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That's it.

Just looking him up, he was sold to Stoke for half the price Spurs were offering, who then released him 2 years after that. He's now on loan from one random Belgian club to another random Belgian club.
How the mighty have fallen :houllier:
Strange really considering the buzz around him at the time.

Caesar2290

Ronaldinho at Barca. I think it was 2006 or 2007 when Inter were offering something crazy like 100 million.

Barca turned it down. The next season Dinho's drinking problem went out of control. He was sold to A.C. Milan for 22 milion euros 2 years later.

Rojo to Everton in 2019.

Pogba to Real is another one that I thnik will come back to bite us in the ass.

RashyForPM

Was speaking to a friend the other day, and he mentioned that United should've cashed in on De Gea when we had the chance. I'm not sure what the fee was when Madrid came in for him, but it was a decent offer plus Navas. I don't completely agree as he was still quality for 1-2 seasons.

It did get us talking about other times when clubs should've cashed in. I'm thinking Spurs in the last 5 years probably should've cashed in on Alli and Rose. Rose is struggling to find a club now when at one point, there was talks of £40-50m bids. I'm not sure Rose carried on his form after that and started picking up injuries. Same with Alli, after them two great season, he was linked with United/Madrid etc for £60-80m. Doesn't seem to be much interest in him now and will struggle to get back in the Spurs squad.

So when has a club kept a player despite strong interest from elsewhere only for the players form to plummet?
Your mate’s De Gea opinion is...slightly weird :eek: After that fax machine fiasco, De Gea gave us three and a half best in the world seasons until that record-breaking Spurs game, which imo was his best ever for us. With Navas, we wouldn’t have won a thing over that time period.

Anyway, not to derail the thread, us with Pogba this summer just gone, replaced with Grealish. His heart is just not in it anymore. Romero too, just because it was a nasty thing to keep him as third choice against his wishes. It’s angered the dressing room too.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Rooney circa 2012/13 is the obvious one for us.

(and Pogba the last couple years)

Last edited:

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Rose, Eriksen, Koulibaly, Bellotti and Zaha the easy ones.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Longstaff to Utd 2019 - £35m, held out for 50, would be lucky to get 10 now

Michu to Arsenal 2013 - £30m rejected, left for free 2 years later

Eriksen to Madrid 2019 - left for far less than offered 6 months later

Rooney to Chelsea 2013 - I can’t remember the fee but would have been sizeable. Was past it

Berahino to Spurs 2014 - big fee rejected, left for far less a year later & fell off a cliff

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Spurs and Dele Alli - pretty sure there were £80m+ numbers being touted around him a few years ago

Us and Rooney during the Moyes season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Unpopular opinion but we should have cashed in on Rooney and went for Aguero..
Whether or not Aguero would have come here, we should have cashed in on Rooney instead of giving him that 5 year 250K a week contract at, what was it, 28 years old? That probably set the tone for further wage increases to the average players who take home 80-120K a week for doing feck all. And Rooney was already in decline at that stage, though few predicted how steep that would be.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Clubs need to learn to sell abs not hold on for the biggest possible offer. Greedy and costs them in the long run. Always sell.

Robertd0803

Dortmund-Sancho.
Palace-Zaha.
Spurs-75% of the team at various points in the last 5 years.
Us-where do I start?

Deery

Dreary
Whether or not Aguero would have come here, we should have cashed in on Rooney instead of giving him that 5 year 250K a week contract at, what was it, 28 years old? That probably set the tone for further wage increases to the average players who take home 80-120K a week for doing feck all. And Rooney was already in decline at that stage, though few predicted how steep that would be.
Can’t remember what age he was but these 5 years contracts are killing us remember when players would get 3 years contracts as normal.