Times when teams should have cashed in?

Bogga

West brom and Peter Odemwingie... hell, he was even in the parking at QPR :D

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Can’t remember what age he was but these 5 years contracts are killing us remember when players would get 3 years contracts as normal.
Yeah. There is no incentive to earn a new deal. Then we see Shaw play well for a couple of weeks and get a bumper new deal. And Lindelof linked with Barca (great agent work) and he gets a bumper new deal too, without going into the new deals for the players no one else wants...

Sure Palace have had massive bids for Zaha they should maybe have taken.
a lot of people mentioning Zaha. But if he was the difference in keeping them in the league for 2 years, then he’s been worth keeping hold of.

It will apply to a lot of youngsters.

a big one will be Dele Alli. A couple of years ago, he might have been a £100m transfer.

King Andow

Lingard right after the 2018 WC, I remember posting here saying we could still get 20m or so, useless board.

Oo0AahCantona

I get the point but this is just a hindsight thread. A thread predicting who should be sold at the next window then tracking form/future fees etc would be more interesting.

Castia

Longstaff at Newcastle

Wasnt we linked for about £30m? I don’t think he even gets a game these days.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Good example in The Netherlands is that a couple summers ago Newcastle were in for Nicolai Jorgensen and willing to pay almost 20 million euro's (crazy money for a Dutch club at that time)... They rejected and he has been only shit ór injured since then....

Oo0AahCantona

Should change the thread to predict players that should be sold in the next window then track their decline or rise in value.

diarm

I think Barcelona will end up regretting not cashing in on Messi this summer.

I get the point but this is just a hindsight thread. A thread predicting who should be sold at the next window then tracking form/future fees etc would be more interesting.
agreed. My first one will be Sancho. Would have been a £100m player this summer, when he’s eventually sold, don’t think it will be anything close to that figure.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Bayer Leverkusen Leon Bailey, he was hot stuff a couple of seasons ago. Now he's gone off the boil, for whatever reason.

Wittmann45

Inter probably regret not selling Wesley Sneijder to United

I haven't heard much about Iker Muniain, but at one point (around the time Biesla was manager and Bilboa destroyed United in the Europa League), he was one of the biggest talents in Europe. Additionally, there were some rumors about United being interested in Inaki Williams a few years ago. A pretty high transfer fee was thrown around but I don't know if he has yet to reach the heights that would have justified such a fee

I also think Roma may have some regret about not selling Strootman, although that has a lot to do with injuries. Ditto Florenzi.

I am sure there is regret with both of the Bender twins

Barcelona probably regret not selling Umtiti

Milan probably could have cashed in on El Shaarawy sooner

Last edited:

Dominos

Still can't work out who was more silly, us for bidding or you for rejecting.
There's surely a lot hindsight in this.

Rooney had scored 35 goals in a season 11/12. 12/13 we had bought RVP so Rooney got pushed out and fell out with SAF.

At the end of that season Chelsea had just re-appointed Mourinho and were desperate for a striker so it would have been madness for us to strengthen a title rival with a striker that could potentially net them 30+ goals. Our position was we'd happily sell abroad but not to a top 4 English club.

You ended up playing Torres/Eto'o for the season and was not far off winning the league, you may have won it had you signed Rooney and got a solid season out of him. He was considered our best outfield player in the Moyes season from what I can recall which isn't saying much given how bad we were, but in a functioning side competing for the league I think he probably had a good season or two left in him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There's surely a lot hindsight in this.

Rooney had scored 35 goals in a season 11/12. 12/13 we had bought RVP so Rooney got pushed out and fell out with SAF.

At the end of that season Chelsea had just re-appointed Mourinho and were desperate for a striker so it would have been madness for us to strengthen a title rival with a striker that could potentially net them 30+ goals. Our position was we'd happily sell abroad but not to a top 4 English club.

You ended up playing Torres/Eto'o for the season and was not far off winning the league, you may have won it had you signed Rooney and got a solid season out of him. He was considered our best outfield player in the Moyes season from what I can recall which isn't saying much given how bad we were, but in a functioning side competing for the league I think he definitely had a good season or two left in him.
I remember seeing you in that 12/13 and while you were running away with the league I thought there was something missing certainly in comparison to prime Rooney. The explosiveness especially wasn't there anymore whenever I saw him while his first touch was starting to seriously desert him so that combined with his early start in football made me seriously worry he was bottoming out early, which were ultimately realised. Granted his goal record was still pretty decent but if you look at Lampard's goal record between 11-13 you'd say he was still close to his prime but you would know by watching us at that point he wasn't close to it.

I was a massive fan of prime Rooney but in my opinion he was gone by that point, 09/10 was his absolute prime (really enjoyed watching him that year even if his performances were single handedly stopping us walsing the league) with 11/12 being a last horrah, I felt from Fergie's last season onwards he was very inconsistent at best (although granted I wouldn't have seen him as often as you did so maybe I got it all wrong).

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Peak Pochettino Spurs.

He had them playing well above their ability as a well coached team, and at one stage there were murmurings of massive bids for Dier, Rose, Alli, Alderweireld, Vertonghan and Eriksen.

It looks like a joke now, but there was a time when those 6 could have brought in 250 million+ and a chance to rebuild and strengthen the team with better players.

Levy understated the managers effect on the team and missed out on the chance to cash in and evolve.

Those players are now worth very little and they are in the middle of a very expensive rebuild that should have been done years earlier at potentially little cost.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
After winning the league Feyenoord turned down a bid of 17 million (I think by Newcastle) for Nikolai Jorgensen. He is still with us and I doubt anyone would pay over a tenner to employ the perpetually injured and rubbish guy now.

17 million for us is like 170 million for a club like United, mind.

Varun1

Rojo to Everton and Januzaj to PSG, if rumours are to be believed.

For me, the point of this thread is players that should have been sold where the writing was on the wall and there was an offer on the table - Januzaj probably shouldn't be on the list based on this since he was very promising at the time.

Maybe Tarkowski, 28 this year, Burnley turned down 30-40m bid for him.

@Sandikan even the BBC reported that Everton were interested in Rojo.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ronaldinho at Barca. I think it was 2006 or 2007 when Inter were offering something crazy like 100 million.

Barca turned it down. The next season Dinho's drinking problem went out of control. He was sold to A.C. Milan for 22 milion euros 2 years later.

Rojo to Everton in 2019.

Pogba to Real is another one that I thnik will come back to bite us in the ass.
We didn't turn down that 30m for Rojo that the media made up, we'd have snapped their whole body off for it!
And celebrated it as the most insane bit of business ever.

TheRedHearted

I think Dortmund will certainly regret not cashing in on Sancho.
Not so sure. With Suarez gone and supposedly Messi will eventually leave I could see Barcelona going in for Salah and Liverpool in for Sancho.

I’ve had that weird feeling for some time that he would make sense there.
I wonder if many would want us to to steer clear of Salah considering we have Traore and Pellistri for the future and could rotate with him.

Welbeckham

1. us with De Gea
2. us with Rooney
3. Most overhyped English internationals, likes of Eric Dier and Ross Barkley, when their value was at its peak.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Stoke probably should've cashed in on Jack Butland around 2017 when he was still peforming o.k at prem level and regular in England squads.

Now he's next to useless and Stoke can't get rid of him to anyone.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Stoke probably should've cashed in on Jack Butland around 2017 when he was still peforming o.k at prem level and regular in England squads.

Now he's next to useless and Stoke can't get rid of him to anyone.
I remember him being linked with United as a potential De Gea replacement. Staggering decline.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rojo to Everton and Januzaj to PSG, if rumours are to be believed.

For me, the point of this thread is players that should have been sold where the writing was on the wall and there was an offer on the table - Januzaj probably shouldn't be on the list based on this since he was very promising at the time.

Maybe Tarkowski, 28 this year, Burnley turned down 30-40m bid for him.

@Sandikan even the BBC reported that Everton were interested in Rojo.
We wanted £30m Everton only wanted a loan. We would have ripped their arm off if they offered £30m

Supports
England
How the mighty have fallen :houllier:
Strange really considering the buzz around him at the time.
That's one of those names that I saw and thought "oh yeah, he was a guy that existed!". It's weird. I watched him play with the England youth teams quite a bit. He was coming through around the same time as Kane. He even looked like a decent player.

I sometimes wonder, when a player falls from grace like that, how much of the gap between expectation and reality is the player finding their true level at a much lower point than initially thought and how much is a self-fulfilling prophecy, whereby they don't immediately reach their potential so they never get the chance to. Could Saido now be a solid XI starter for Spurs if they'd bought him?

Kane could've so easily been playing for a Championship club right now. I'd like to think that his immense talent would've been recognised eventually, regardless of the level he'd fallen to by then, but who knows? Most people in most areas of life rise or sink to the level of those around them, given sufficient time. If it had taken several more years to spot Kane's true potential, especially as an already-late developer, would he have been able to make up the gap to the top 6 star that he is now? Would he have physically been capable of it?

It's incredible how big of a difference such fine margins can make in football. It's true in many aspects of life but football is a hyper-exaggerated microcosm.

Tarrou

West brom and Peter Odemwingie... hell, he was even in the parking at QPR :D
thats what cost him the transfer according to Harry

Harry told him to go wait in a hotel in case they agreed a deal so he'd be close-by, and instead he drove to the stadium and was on SSN :lol:

Supports
England
Peak Pochettino Spurs.

He had them playing well above their ability as a well coached team, and at one stage there were murmurings of massive bids for Dier, Rose, Alli, Alderweireld, Vertonghan and Eriksen.

It looks like a joke now, but there was a time when those 6 could have brought in 250 million+ and a chance to rebuild and strengthen the team with better players.

Levy understated the managers effect on the team and missed out on the chance to cash in and evolve.

Those players are now worth very little and they are in the middle of a very expensive rebuild that should have been done years earlier at potentially little cost.
100% this. It's what I thought of as soon as I saw the title. There was a time when that Poch first XI would've been valued at close to a billion, when only a few of them would've been worth their fees.

The problem is that everyone, fairly reasonably, I reckon, actually believed they were that good. I certainly got suckered in. And regardless of how good they actually were, they were made into perennial top 4/title competitors while together, which would've made it crazy from a footballing perspective for Spurs to sell up and risk upsetting the balance.

To be honest, their results may almost have made it worthwhile for Spurs -- well, they certainly would've done if they'd actually won something, which was a gamble the club had to take. Nonetheless, several years of top 4 and a CL final nets you a tidy sum in its own right.

The perfect allegory for "hindsight is 20/20", given that, in the same situation, most people would probably do exactly what Spurs did again.

archiebald

We really should have cashed in on De Gea when Madrid came knocking for him. Yes he was at his peak then making countless ridiculous saves, but we were never expected to win anything in those years either what with the overall state of our team.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Peak Pochettino Spurs.

But those players gave them 4-5 years worth of top 4 finishes and excellent CL runs. I think that is worth a lot more than making a short term profit on them and taking a risk with their replacements who may or may not come good.

I agree with you that there is a right time for teams like Spurs to sell players, but it is conditional on have upcoming replacements already within the ranks who can take over in a couple of seasons. So you have a revolving door of small transfers every few seasons and don't go looking for a replacement when you lose a key player. And Levy seems to be the kind of person who never buys new players until he is low on numbers or a player turns into absolute shit.

monosierra

I think the best time to cash out is
1) When the delta between the player's reputation and his immediate future potential is at a peak,
2) When a potential buyer (Not a direct rival ideally) emerges that is in need of said player, and
3) When the player's replacement has been identified at a reasonable price (Or better yet, is already in the squad).

De Gea fits all three criteria in recent years. He couldn't get any better than he was at his best, Real needed a keeper, and ... wait, did we have Henderson lined up when the fax machine broke? If not, then I guess not all three stars aligned.

-Supreme-

Most recently, I'd say Joshua King.

Bournemouth have rejected a 20m bid from us in January, with his contract runs out next summer and no longer in the PL....they'd be lucky to get anywhere close to this amount now.