Toaster Toes Timo Werner | Tottenham Player

passing-wind

Chelsea certainly sending out a big statement about their intentions next season. I think Ziyech will hit the ground running whereas I reckon it will take a few months for Werner to acclimatize to the league. If they manage to pull off Havertz then they will have had the best window for a club team in recent years. I do wonder what it means for the likes of Mount / Abraham / CHO however.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Great purchase. Hope he does a Morata.

Dozer

Chelsea certainly sending out a big statement about their intentions next season. I think Ziyech will hit the ground running whereas I reckon it will take a few months for Werner to acclimatize to the league. If they manage to pull off Havertz then they will have had the best window for a club team in recent years. I do wonder what it means for the likes of Mount / Abraham / CHO however.
CHO has been absolutely awful since getting his new contract - he has time on his side but you have to wonder whether he'll ever fulfil the potential he was mooted as having 12-18 months ago.

Pedro & Willian are hardly spring chickens, and if they play a double pivot of Kante + Kovacic or Jorginho, there are 4 attacking spots to compete for.

EwanI Ted

Could work out really well for them. Fits the style of football Chelsea want to play and still has time to improve further. £50M looks a good price (though coronavirus might change the market). There's always a risk with any new player, but Ive not seen anything that makes me think he won't score plenty for Chelsea.

And of course from Chelsea's perspective they've deprived a rival of a key target. Win win for them.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Meh, the standard overrating of Chelsea appears to be in full flow. Don’t think their squad is anything to worry about even with the touted signings. If Utd do our business there’s no excuse to finish behind them.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I think he’ll be a success. I hope I’m wrong.

I can see this spurring City into action and I think that Chelsea, City and United will make the title race more competitive next season.

TheReligion

Abusive
Good signing at that price this day and age. It seems that they are getting their business done early which is also a good idea especially given the disruption caused by coronavirus and how it has impacted on the season/pre season.

Thought Werner was nailed on for Liverpool (and seems that's where he wanted to go) so wonder what happened. If it's really the money that's been an issue Liverpool are going to struggle..

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They might not start as much but they will definitely be integral to the overall squad. I can't see any of them wanting to leave unless they are seriously lacking game time next season i.e less than 10 games which I can't see happening. It's clear that Lampard rates all of them in some format and injuries over the course of the season show that it's important to have a bolstered squad. The signings of Werner and Ziyech are great too because of how versatile they are as players and they mean that they can both be playing but so can all three of the players you've suggested if they really wanted to.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This should calm down some of those who think we aren’t able to attract the top players. Werner just joined a club on the rebuild with a rookie manager who may or may not be in the champions league next season.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Chelsea showing ambition while we're faffing around with Sancho and Pogba is making a mockery of the club.

Am I doing this right?

RedDevilRoshi

Very good signing. Chelsea certainly looking very ambitious. You can see they want to take advantage of this current situation in order to close the gap on the top two.

Smores

They're starting to pull together a very nice squad on paper. Think they need a new centre back to be challengers though.

Untd55

They need goalscorers. Chelsea play some great football, but at times fail to capitalise on their dominance and end up dropping points. I remember some games they have started really well and only got one goal from it, and then they have sort of collapsed a bit and the opposition score. This will be massive for them.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
CHO has been absolutely awful since getting his new contract - he has time on his side but you have to wonder whether he'll ever fulfil the potential he was mooted as having 12-18 months ago.

Pedro & Willian are hardly spring chickens, and if they play a double pivot of Kante + Kovacic or Jorginho, there are 4 attacking spots to compete for.
Really harsh as he suffered a very serious injury and wasn’t fit till January.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
They might not start as much but they will definitely be integral to the overall squad. I can't see any of them wanting to leave unless they are seriously lacking game time next season i.e less than 10 games which I can't see happening. It's clear that Lampard rates all of them in some format and injuries over the course of the season show that it's important to have a bolstered squad. The signings of Werner and Ziyech are great too because of how versatile they are as players and they mean that they can both be playing but so can all three of the players you've suggested if they really wanted to.
Think you are looking at things way too early.

Pretty sure one of either Kante or Jorginho will be gone as will in all likelihood Berkley and of course Willian, Batshuayi and Pedro.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Think you are looking at things way too early.

Pretty sure one of either Kante or Jorginho will be gone as will in all likelihood Berkley and of course Willian, Batshuayi and Pedro.
That's what I am saying though.

You could easily line up like - Kante - Kovacic - Gilmour - Pulisic - Ziyech - Werner and be in a scenario where all the people that you state have left but they (Mount/Abraham/CHO) still don't start. You can equally be in a scenario where the pack is shuffled and CHO / Abraham / Mount do start. I think they'll be important squad members for you at the very least unless they don't play many games where they'd probably like to leave. In general I think you and Lampard are doing a great job so far on paper of easing out the older players and bringing through youth/making the right signings.

TheLord

At that price, he's a top-notch acquisition to replace the outgoing Giroud: 26 goals in the Bundesliga this season from 32 matches is quite a record. He can play as the lone-forward or just behind Tammy Abraham.

Chelsea need a defender to replace Zouma/Christensen, and a left-back to replace Alonso, and they're sorted out for next season - top-three is dead-certain. And with Pedro, Willian and Giroud departing, the incoming players won't affect the club's overall wages.

The onus is now on United, Spurs, and Arsenal to keep up. The latter two will not, United should.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
CHO has been absolutely awful since getting his new contract
Disagree, he had a rut in November/early December was very good either side of that in my opinion.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Hoping the curse that turns all strikers to liquid shite as soon as they pull on a Chelsea shirt is still in effect. Maybe "chewsea chewsea chewsea" drones on at the right frequency to make his head explode with that ear problem of his.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Chelsea showing ambition while we're faffing around with Sancho and Pogba is making a mockery of the club.

Am I doing this right?
Nearly. Don't forget to mention Bruno and Ziyech, and how we messed around getting the former, while Chelsea snapped up the latter before the window even opened, Igoring they tried and failing to sign him in January, leaving the squad with zero additions. But that's an example of how you do business!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Nearly. Don't forget to mention Bruno and Ziyech, and how we messed around getting the former, while Chelsea snapped up the latter before the window even opened, Igoring they tried and failing to sign him in January, leaving the squad with zero additions. But that's an example of how you do business!
We were too busy suing football manager

dbs235

I do wonder what it means for the likes of Mount / Abraham / CHO however.
I think Mount will always get plenty of starts under Lampard. Most peolpe have said Werner is likely to play with Abraham rather instead of him. I think CHO will be rotated and come off the bench a lot.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think Mount will always get plenty of starts under Lampard. Most peolpe have said Werner is likely to play with Abraham rather instead of him. I think CHO will be rotated and come off the bench a lot.
Yeah it's very much a squad game these days even more so now as there's probably going to be a ridiculously packed 2-3 years while football makes up for lost time.

We have a lot of versatility in midfield and attack which will come in very handy.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
At that price, he's a top-notch acquisition to replace the outgoing Giroud: 26 goals in the Bundesliga this season from 32 matches is quite a record. He can play as the lone-forward or just behind Tammy Abraham.

Chelsea need a defender to replace Zouma or Christensen, and a left-back to replace Alonso, and they're sorted out for next season - top-three is dead-certain. And with Pedro, Willian and Giroud departing, the incoming players won't affect the club's overall wages.

The onus is now on United, Spurs, and Arsenal to keep up. The latter two will not, United should.
I disagree, I don't think he would fit as a long striker unless playing with two goalscoring wingers (like Liverpool with Mane, Salah). His whole Leipzeg career he has played in a 2 man strikeforce, and it has always been with a target man (Poulsen, Schik). Werner likes to drift to the wings a lot, he made his name at Stuttgart as a 17 year old playing as a left winger and that tendency continues to show even when playing as a striker.

Playing with a target man gives him the freedom to float to the wings, which is a reason why he has plenty of assists to go with his goals. If you play him in a lone striker system, that freedom will be gone and his overall ability will be wasted. He isn't strong, nor does he have great close control, that you can play him upfront and expect him to hold the ball.

This formation looks best for me:

GK
Back 4
---Kante--Jorginho/Kovacic---
Ziyech-------------------Pulisic
-----Werner--Abraham----

Abraham is the perfect subsitute to Poulson/Schik. Similarly strong and can hold the ball, it looks like a potentially great strike partnership.

SirAnderson

Good move by Chelsea, while I wouldn't have taken him, I still wouldn't want him to go to a rival. So hope he also does a Morata and moves to Spain (or back to Germany) and rips it up there in 2/3 years time.