Supports
Chelsea
Looks like Kepa has just found his way into this 'combined Xl' :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Leipzig use a different formation. It's more a 3-4-3
It's 3-5-2

Their midfield is usually Sabitzer, Kampl/Laimer and Nkunku with Schick and Werner upfront.

Werner has always played in 2 striker system for Leipzeg. Don't know why the person was saying Werner plays LW though.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
If De Gea was dropped in the combined 11, it would be for Romero, not for Kepa. :p

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If De Gea was dropped in the combined 11, it would be for Romero, not for Kepa. :p
He's already been dropped for Kepa in one team so it's not exactly a stretch :lol:

On a more serious note you'd be mad not to replace him with Henderson next season, he looks completely done.

Giggs' right foot

What’s the logic behind him going to Chelsea as of 1st July to then miss out on some extremely valuable Champions League games for Leipzig? It’s not like Chelsea can use him until next season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What’s the logic behind him going to Chelsea as of 1st July to then miss out on some extremely valuable Champions League games for Leipzig? It’s not like Chelsea can use him until next season.
His contract for Chelsea started on July 1. Chelsea offered him back to Leipzig on loan for a fee / with some provisions in case he got injured and Leipzig opted against the option.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
His contract for Chelsea started on July 1. Chelsea offered him back to Leipzig on loan for a fee / with some provisions in case he got injured and Leipzig opted against the option.
That's weird. It wasn't like his contract ran out july 1st. They could have just set the transfer date after the CL games.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That's weird. It wasn't like his contract ran out july 1st. They could have just set the transfer date after the CL games.
Well, it's because he had a release clause with a fixed expiration date (June 15). The deal had to be done when it was otherwise Chelsea would have had to negotiate with Leipzig and ultimately pay a bigger fee.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Not trying to wank off on a United forum but the bit about Lampard being key to his signing is really interesting & encouraging - all reports are that we're presenting a 3-5 year plan that's very appealing to players that might be coming in.

Can't emphasize enough the extent to which this is an absolute coup - insane value for Chelsea here.

Not trying to wank off on a United forum but the bit about Lampard being key to his signing is really interesting & encouraging - all reports are that we're presenting a 3-5 year plan that's very appealing to players that might be coming in.

Can't emphasize enough the extent to which this is an absolute coup - insane value for Chelsea here.
I’m sure you are excited, and he looks a good player. But absolute coup!! Should wait in to l the lad steps on the pitch.

I’m sure every club presents a medium term plan. I’m sure Chelsea has done so many times over the past 20 years. The reality is most managers last 18 months max.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I’m sure you are excited, and he looks a good player. But absolute coup!! Should wait in to l the lad steps on the pitch.

I’m sure every club presents a medium term plan. I’m sure Chelsea has done so many times over the past 20 years. The reality is most managers last 18 months max.
He's 4th in the golden boot standings across the continent and doesn't turn 25 until next March. Getting him for €53m in this market is an absolute coup.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

This is only the second time (under Roman) we've layed out a proper long term plan.

Last time we were naive/let our hearts rule our heads and thought Mourinho was the right man to implement it (in fairness to him he tried to get in board at first but it just wasn't him).

This time it's completely different, we've appointed the appropriate coaching staff. Even if Lampard can't make that big push from top 4 to title challenge he'll leave quite the team for someone who can. Win win.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

It's something players tend to say after signing with a new club. Fabregas spoke at lengths about how his conversation with Mourinho swayed him. It's certainly nice to hear that Lampard has that impact on today's world class players too.

The biggest encouragement is his mentioning of Cech, and I wonder how much his involvement at board level has impacted how we conduct transfers. It can't be a coincidence that we're having this sort of brutally efficient window immediately after bringing him into the fold.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's something players tend to say after signing with a new club. Fabregas spoke at lengths about how his conversation with Mourinho swayed him. It's certainly nice to hear that Lampard has that impact on today's world class players too.

The biggest encouragement is his mentioning of Cech, and I wonder how much his involvement at board level has impacted how we conduct transfers. It can't be a coincidence that we're having this sort of brutally efficient window immediately after bringing him into the fold.
Couldn't agree more - it'll be interesting to see how things work during a more normal window where we don't have a huge surplus of funds, but at this point I couldn't be happier with the way the club is structured. Can't see a Conte-esque meltdown happening now, especially because there have already been disagreements that have been discussed openly and everyone has moved past (e.g. Lampard wanted signings in January but Cech/Marina felt there was no value).

DannyDee

Why risk having an RVN type situation happening? Unless its a young guy you don't plan on immediately slotting into your first XI it makes limited sense to loan them back. Makes more sense to give them rest, and get them training with your first team. The player is risking an injury that could hamper his likely increased wages, and Chelsea is risking him getting injured with minimal gain.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Why risk having an RVN type situation happening? Unless its a young guy you don't plan on immediately slotting into your first XI it makes limited sense to loan them back. Makes more sense to give them rest, and get them training with your first team. The player is risking an injury that could hamper his likely increased wages, and Chelsea is risking him getting injured with minimal gain.
How is that any different from signing a player in March and him finished the season. His contract didn't end this year. They could have set the transfer date to mid August so that he could finish the season at Leipzig. I know he wants to start training at Chelsea, but it's disrespectful to your former team imo.

DannyDee

How is that any different from signing a player in March and him finished the season. His contract didn't end this year. They could have set the transfer date to mid August so that he could finish the season at Leipzig. I know he wants to start training at Chelsea, but it's disrespectful to your former team imo.
Why inherit more risk when you don't have to? People close deals in March due to fear of being beat out for the guy by someone else. March the window isn't open. We are just in a very untypical situation. If RB Leipzig somehow makes it to the CL Final, that game is played on August 23rd. The EPL season starts on September 12th. Probably with the team paying one or two warm-up exhibitions. Usually, Werner's season would have ended in mid-May, (arguably July due to the Euro's), with Werner not expected to report until half way through pre-season in order to get match fit for the openers. Now, you are expecting him to report to a new club immediately after finishing the season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If he's as good as the hype suggests he could have been the difference in tonight's game and putting RB into a UCL SF why did he refuse to play?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm not reading The Express, you shouldn't either.

I remember the rumours where that Chelsea didn't want to risk an injury and wanted him for our pre-season.
The Express aren't the only ones who reported it, even his agent was forced to jump to his defence because of it

I get Chelsea didn't want to risk and injury but is seriously joining Chelsea worth missing a UCL SF for? :smirk:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The Express aren't the only ones who reported it, even his agent was forced to jump to his defence because of it

I get Chelsea didn't want to risk and injury but is seriously joining Chelsea worth missing a UCL SF for? :smirk:
100%! Sometimes transfer targets actually want to move to the interested club. :p

He can win the thing next year. Nobody give a shit about losing in a semi.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Look at what happened to Pedro. He was convinced to extend his contract by a couple of weeks and he gets injured on his last appearance.

100%! Sometimes transfer targets actually want to move to the interested club. :p

He can win the thing next year. Nobody give a shit about losing in a semi.
Rubbish. I imagine most players would want to play in this game, indeed, clearly there are players who are playing their last games for their clubs in these few weeks (just that we don’t know it yet).

It’s got nothing to do with wanting to move to his next club, he could ah e done that at the end of the month. Instead he’s say at home watching the TV, can’t say I understand that mentality.

Pagh Wraith

I have very little sympathy for him leaving his club early just to take part in Chelsea's pre-season. But then again he has never come across as particularly bright.

macheda14

If he's as good as the hype suggests he could have been the difference in tonight's game and putting RB into a UCL SF why did he refuse to play?
Naglesmann (a name I can’t spell) said Werner wouldn’t have worked last night as there was no high line to run into.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Naglesmann (a name I can’t spell) said Werner wouldn’t have worked last night as there was no high line to run into.
This is such nonsense to be honest. You always play your best striker. It's not like Atletico are literally in their box for 90 minutes anyway.

Most likely reason is that both Werner and Chelsea didn't wanna risk a potential injury.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
I have very little sympathy for him leaving his club early just to take part in Chelsea's pre-season. But then again he has never come across as particularly bright.
What sort of nonsense take is this? We activated a time sensitive release clause which made it an official bid Leipzig couldn't refuse. Documents were signed which officially makes him a Chelsea player meaning Chelsea starts paying him wages, which aren't cheap. We would legally like to have our player, whom we are paying, in our camp in preparation for our next campaign. If Leipzig wanted him to stay after we triggered their release clause they would have had to officially bid for him on loan for the period in which the CL gets completed, pay loan and wage fees as well as account for any injuries he may suffer in said period. I very much doubt Leipzig were willing to do so.
I’m sure deep down Werner would have loved to be playing but there is more to transfers than what a player would love to do. At the end of the day, the only regrets that will count is Leipzig going on to win it.
(He probably still gets a medal I guess?)

Pagh Wraith

I understand Chelsea's stance entirely of course, I don't understand his. Leipzig were willing to take the necessary steps to allow him to see out the season for them but Werner (or rather his agent) preferred to join Chelsea's pre-season. Nagelsmann has said so.

hubbuh

What sort of nonsense take is this? We activated a time sensitive release clause which made it an official bid Leipzig couldn't refuse. Documents were signed which officially makes him a Chelsea player meaning Chelsea starts paying him wages, which aren't cheap. We would legally like to have our player, whom we are paying, in our camp in preparation for our next campaign. If Leipzig wanted him to stay after we triggered their release clause they would have had to officially bid for him on loan for the period in which the CL gets completed, pay loan and wage fees as well as account for any injuries he may suffer in said period. I very much doubt Leipzig were willing to do so.
I’m sure deep down Werner would have loved to be playing but there is more to transfers than what a player would love to do. At the end of the day, the only regrets that will count is Leipzig going on to win it.
(He probably still gets a medal I guess?)
I’m sure he’d wear that one with pride! Be hilarious watching it being presented to him.

hubbuh

This is such nonsense to be honest. You always play your best striker. It's not like Atletico are literally in their box for 90 minutes anyway.

Most likely reason is that both Werner and Chelsea didn't wanna risk a potential injury.
Bayern Munich opted against going for him due to his ineffectiveness when not given time and space. If I see Prem teams backing off and giving him space I’m going to do some serious screaming next season.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I understand Chelsea's stance entirely of course, I don't understand his. Leipzig were willing to take the necessary steps to allow him to see out the season for them but Werner (or rather his agent) preferred to join Chelsea's pre-season. Nagelsmann has said so.
What if he gets a cruciate or other terrible injury playing for Liepzig in UCL games? Deal is off, as we would put clause in saying must pass a medical before deal is done. If he really wants the move it was the only sane choice. Also see RVN transfer to Utd, he recovered and joined later anyway but a risk for Werner and totally logical he wouldn't want to take it.

macheda14

No I’m just saying that’s what the manager said. He didn’t say he didn’t want to play him, he just said tactically it worked out for the better.