Toaster Toes Timo Werner | Tottenham Player

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I’m sure he’d wear that one with pride! Be hilarious watching it being presented to him.
I'm sure he will, he was a major reason they were even in the quarter final in the first place. It would be the same as Kroos getting a medal for 2012/13 eventhough he didn't play following the R16 since he was injured for the rest of the season.

hubbuh

What if he gets a cruciate or other terrible injury playing for Liepzig in UCL games? Deal is off, as we would put clause in saying must pass a medical before deal is done. If he really wants the move it was the only sane choice. Also see RVN transfer to Utd, he recovered and joined later anyway but a risk for Werner and totally logical he wouldn't want to take it.
Surely most players would want to play in that sort of game, though, regardless of whether or not they knew they’d be leaving in the summer. Every player runs the gauntlet of getting injured, it’s part and parcel of the industry. I would have thought he would have been breaking his back (heh) to play in the knockout stages for the club he’s so far spent for the majority of his career at, in the biggest game of the clubs history.

hubbuh

I'm sure he will, he was a major reason they were even in the quarter final in the first place. It would be the same as Kroos getting a medal for 2012/13 eventhough he didn't play following the R16 since he was injured for the rest of the season.
It’s nothing like Kroos getting a medal despite being injured. Werner will have missed the QF, SF and final through actively leaving the club (not saying he shouldn’t have). It harks back to Scholes and Keane missing the 99 final through injury and suspension and feeling like they didn’t contribute enough to warrant celebrating as winners (Keane in a fecking demented nutshell).

matsdf

Why he wanted to move early and not be a part of the biggest games in his (and his old clubs) history is beyond me.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
I understand Chelsea's stance entirely of course, I don't understand his. Leipzig were willing to take the necessary steps to allow him to see out the season for them but Werner (or rather his agent) preferred to join Chelsea's pre-season. Nagelsmann has said so.
If he (Werner) truly made the decision to join Chelsea’s pre season instead of keep playing with RB in CL, his reasons are reasonable too. He is leaving the only league he's ever know to join a new team, in a different country to play in a league he's never played before. Even with a player of his quality, having significant time to adapt to his new environment is essential. And honestly speaking, before their shock win over ATM no one gave RB a chance of winning the CL. He's had more time to integrate into his next team instead of, judging by the schedule between the end of the BL season, end of the CL and the start of the new PL season, at most 4 weeks(+- holidays) to do so. Like I said, he still gets a medal anyways even if their chances of winning it is slim.
I’m sure he’d wear that one with pride! Be hilarious watching it being presented to him.
It won't be presented to him though, not with the rest of the Leipzig squad on the final. It will be sent to him and officially recognised in records.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Surely most players would want to play in that sort of game, though, regardless of whether or not they knew they’d be leaving in the summer. Every player runs the gauntlet of getting injured, it’s part and parcel of the industry. I would have thought he would have been breaking his back (heh) to play in the knockout stages for the club he’s so far spent for the majority of his career at, in the biggest game of the clubs history.
Presumably he's thinking he'll have plenty of big games and hopefully trophies for Chelsea to come, if he gets injured playing for Liepzig the deal could be off and might never get the chance. Could be stuck at Liepzig forever worse case scenario, they don't appear to have ever won a top level trophy in their history so couldn't be too hopeful of then ever winning anything.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Presumably he's thinking he'll have plenty of big games and hopefully trophies for Chelsea to come, if he gets injured playing for Liepzig the deal could be off and might never get the chance. Could be stuck at Liepzig forever worse case scenario, they don't appear to have ever won a top level trophy in their history so couldn't be too hopeful of then ever winning anything.
It's not just the injuries. He'd have missed all the training he's already done with Chelsea, the chance to personally settle in a new country and have a proper pre-season with an aim to start the new season ready to go.

Sensible but unromantic decision.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The Express aren't the only ones who reported it, even his agent was forced to jump to his defence because of it

I get Chelsea didn't want to risk and injury but is seriously joining Chelsea worth missing a UCL SF for? :smirk:
It's because Chelsea exercised his buyout clause which had a fixed expiration date - June 15th. If Chelsea had allowed the clause to expire, we'd have had to negotiate with RBL.

That said, Chelsea offered him back on loan for the CL but with provisions where a big chunk of the fee would be returned in the event of injury - it was actually RBL who turned down the chance to have Werner back on those terms.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
It's because Chelsea exercised his buyout clause which had a fixed expiration date - June 15th. If Chelsea had allowed the clause to expire, we'd have had to negotiate with RBL.

That said, Chelsea offered him back on loan for the CL but with provisions where a big chunk of the fee would be returned in the event of injury - it was actually RBL who turned down the chance to have Werner back on those terms.
This completely contradicts everything else I read about it.

Do you have a source?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Club knows how to do business. Now I hope the important ones at the club watched a certain LB in the Utd game just now :)

That is what we need.

Pre season can't be far off so hopefully see Werner actually playing for us soon.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Do you have a source?
It was in the German media as well. They had to trigger the clause which made Werner a Chelsea player July 1st. Then they (Chelsea and Leipzig) were unable to find a solution for him to be loaned back to Leipzig for two more months.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Do you have a source?
It's the way a release clause works - once Chelsea agreed to pay it, his contract with RBL was voided and he became a Chelsea player. This was as of June 15th - again his contract was designed to include a release clause with that expiration date (largely because Werner was reportedly unhappy to be jerked around by Bayern the previous summer; he wanted to have his future sorted early in the summer so as to not be left in limbo).

https://www.goal.com/en/news/timo-w...ext=What is Timo Werner's release,(£52m/$64m).

Once the clause was activated, it's not really up to Werner - sure he could have pushed to stay but it was out of his hands. Chelsea thus had more leverage in a negotiation for a short term loan and they pushed for large refunds in the event of injury, which RBL were unwilling to agree to.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Club knows how to do business. Now I hope the important ones at the club watched a certain LB in the Utd game just now :)

That is what we need.

Pre season can't be far off so hopefully see Werner actually playing for us soon.
Yeah Reguilon is class. If he's actually available for ~1/3 the price of Chilwell he'd be an insane value. Recent rumours though are that Real would push to include a buyback clause that they could activate at any time; if that's the case then I can understand our reluctance.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
It's the way a release clause works - once Chelsea agreed to pay it, his contract with RBL was voided and he became a Chelsea player. This was as of June 15th - again his contract was designed to include a release clause with that expiration date (largely because Werner was reportedly unhappy to be jerked around by Bayern the previous summer; he wanted to have his future sorted early in the summer so as to not be left in limbo).

https://www.goal.com/en/news/timo-werner-release-clause-how-much-rb-leipzig-star-transfer/12ec6srwfjsl31w9hpds5h80r6#:~:text=What is Timo Werner's release,(£52m/$64m).

Once the clause was activated, it's not really up to Werner - sure he could have pushed to stay but it was out of his hands. Chelsea thus had more leverage in a negotiation for a short term loan and they pushed for large refunds in the event of injury, which RBL were unwilling to agree to.
Well duh, I get that part.

I'm talking about the part where you claimed Chelsea offered him back on loan.

From all I read it was Werner who said he didn't want to finish with Leipzig. Even with Chelsea paying the clause he could have demanded to finish the CL with them as part of their negotiations, plenty other players decided to finish the CL/EL season with their current club.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Well duh, I get that part.

I'm talking about the part where you claimed Chelsea offered him back on loan.

From all I read it was Werner who said he didn't want to finish with Leipzig. Even with Chelsea paying the clause he could have demanded to finish the CL with them as part of their negotiations, plenty other players decided to finish the CL/EL season with their current club.
The point is there were no negotiations. Chelsea simply paid the release clause and the deal was done and dusted. Other players who have stayed were not doing so after having their contracts bought out; this was a unique situation given the fixed expiration date of the clause (which was signed the year before and thus was unaffected by COVID).

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
The point is there were no negotiations. Chelsea simply paid the release clause and the deal was done and dusted. Other players who have stayed were not doing so after having their contracts bought out; this was a unique situation given the fixed expiration date of the clause (which was signed the year before and thus was unaffected by COVID).
I'm saying Werner could have demanded it as part of the negotiation. The one between him and Chelsea.

Instead he said the moment he was transferring that there was no way he'd consider finishing the season with Leipzig.
I get that he wants to have a good start and full preseason with Chelsea, but it just seems quite ungrateful to the team that made him who he is.

Therefore should Leipzig make the final, I would have to laugh a little bit at Werner. Playing a CL final or even semi-final is never a guarantee in your career for any player.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Well what do we think so far? scored tonight. Didn't take a penalty though which was strange seeing as he's put one past Spurs with Leipzig. More I watch I think he wouldn't have been right fit for us over Jota anyway. Might do well for Chelsea in the long term though.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Well what do we think so far? scored tonight. Didn't take a penalty though. More I watch I think he wouldn't have been right fit for us anyway over Jota. Might do well for Chelsea in the long term though.
Had cramp at the end of the 90, reportedly unable to take a pen. Ran himself into the ground; only decent attacker we had out there. The 2v1 Mount contrived to feck up was a joke.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Well what do we think so far? scored tonight. Didn't take a penalty though which was strange seeing as he's put one past Spurs with Leipzig. More I watch I think he wouldn't have been right fit for us anyway over Jota. Might do well for Chelsea in the long term though.
Chelsea fans saying he had cramp and rejected taking a pen.

Overall though I'm not really impressed. He's not bad, in fact he's a pretty capable forward and will score goals. But I'm not seeing the X-factor that I saw in Suarez and Aguero for example.

Werner reminds me of Sturridge. Solid technique, pace and finishing ability but not elite.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Had cramp at the end of the 90, reportedly unable to take a pen. Ran himself into the ground; only decent attacker we had out there. The 2v1 Mount contrived to feck up was a joke.
He was lost in the second half, completely gone by the 60th minute.
Took his goal very well, but either needs to improve his fitness or pace himself through the game, otherwise he will constantly go missing like tonight.

duffer

Scout

Overall though I'm not really impressed. He's not bad, in fact he's a pretty capable forward and will score goals. But I'm not seeing the X-factor that I saw in Suarez and Aguero for example.

Werner reminds me of Sturridge. Solid technique, pace and finishing ability but not elite.
I mean that's a pretty high bar there. I'm not expecting Aguero or Suarez.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Suarez and Aguero certainly have much more of an ability to make something out of nothing, it's very true. Werner will always be more reliant on his teammates. This is why Ziyech and Pulisic will be so key for him. Don't think it's a coincidence he scored after 4 minutes in preseason when Ziyech was playing.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He was lost in the second half, completely gone by the 60th minute.
Took his goal very well, but either needs to improve his fitness or pace himself through the game, otherwise he will constantly go missing like tonight.
Don't think that's fair; he made several excellent runs after that. Was more a team-wide issue during the second half, not helped by Giroud and Mount being absolutely atrocious and so Werner had no one to play off of.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Don't think that's fair; he made several excellent runs after that. Was more a team-wide issue during the second half, not helped by Giroud and Mount being absolutely atrocious and so Werner had no one to play off of.
He was playing on the left for most of the evening, he had Tammy on in the second half and still didn't get into the game.
Other than the one chance where Mount should have laid him in, he was not involved.
Spurs were definitely the better side in the second half, but part of the reason for that was the lack of an outlet going forward for Chelsea.
Mount was particularly awful though, you're right!!

trims

Supports
Arsenal
He was really hyped before the WC2018 coming off a solid season in the Bundesliga and the Confederations cup the year before. He completely flopped in the world cup but so did most of the German team and he was only 22 to be fair. I guess time will tell if he can only do it in the Bundesliga. He's not Suarez or Aguero level but can see him getting 20 league goals a season if he ups his game.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Suspect mentality being a star forward and unable to find it within yourself to take a penalty. It was only after 90 minutes too.

duffer

Scout
Suspect mentality being a star forward and unable to find it within yourself to take a penalty. It was only after 90 minutes too.
He's taken (and scored) pens in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

Do you really think the last 16 of the Carabao Cup was too much for him to cope with mentally?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He was playing on the left for most of the evening, he had Tammy on in the second half and still didn't get into the game.
Other than the one chance where Mount should have laid him in, he was not involved.
Spurs were definitely the better side in the second half, but part of the reason for that was the lack of an outlet going forward for Chelsea.
Mount was particularly awful though, you're right!!
Tammy only came on in the 75th minute. Werner immediately got more involved I thought as the team improved from there.

Don't think Werner can be blamed for not being an outlet - I don't think Giroud managed to retain possession a single time from a long pass and until Kante came on our midfield wasn't moving the ball forward effectively at all for me.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He played a full 90 at the weekend and absolutely ran himself into the ground today. Would rather he be honest about having cramp than risking it; it's not like Mount is an especially bad PK taker despite today's evidence.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He's taken (and scored) pens in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

Do you really think the last 16 of the Carabao Cup was too much for him to cope with mentally?
I didn’t suggest it was the occasion that got to him.

ti vu

Timo Wiltord. Capable forward/goalscorer with good all round ability, but can be inconsistent thus needing a solid forward to share the load.

passing-wind

I've said years ago after the 2018 world cup he's not a clinical forward but he penetrates the box enough to get a few goals (which is why he needs creativity). The difference with the Suarez / Aguero is they are clinical finishers. I think Werner could be a 15-20 goal a season striker if he can be consistent. I think for a 50 million fee it's a fair return given his value if he can contribute on occasion.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He was fine today. Unremarkable if anything. Good finish for his goal, worked hard etc. He may fare better alongside genuine creative forces like Pulisic and Ziyech. Havertz will benefit from that too.

Mount, for all his positives, is not a creative player, Kovacic and Jorginho aren't any better in that regard.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
He will do well I think, especially when Lampard can make the team implement collective pressing more to preserve energy throughout the whole game. He isn't the strongest or exceptional at dribbling but definitely not bad, has pace to burn and quite good finishing and a good shot. He isn't the best at leading the line but might work well as a false nine or with Havertz getting in the box more often.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He needs to start banging in some goals or people will get on his back. Luckily for him, he's a hard worker so the fans will give him a little more slack. He reminds me of Morata for some reason.

duffer

Scout
He needs to start banging in some goals or people will get on his back. Luckily for him, he's a hard worker so the fans will give him a little more slack. He reminds me of Morata for some reason.
Really? He seems the total opposite. "Hard worker" is the very last thing I associate with Morata at Chelsea.