Toaster Toes Timo Werner | Tottenham Player

Craig Ward

He needs to start banging in some goals or people will get on his back. Luckily for him, he's a hard worker so the fans will give him a little more slack. He reminds me of Morata for some reason.
Morata and hard working doesnt strike me as a good comparison to Werner.

Werner looks a threat - but needs the service. He can play across the front line and will always want to run in behind. Jorginho in particular is a sideways pass merchant - Werner needs through balls or you'll never see the best of him

Werner suited Leipzig's style perfectly - he was they're outlet and they played to his strengths. I dont think Chelsea will as much, while he will be a danger I can't see him hitting similar figures.

GameOn

Well what do we think so far? scored tonight. Didn't take a penalty though which was strange seeing as he's put one past Spurs with Leipzig. More I watch I think he wouldn't have been right fit for us over Jota anyway. Might do well for Chelsea in the long term though.
Well, what most German fans have said all along: He's a solid striker, who relies on his pace and timing his runs behind the last line. Average or slightly above average at best in most other areas though.

He will most likely be an adequate striker in the Premier League (10 - 20 goals per season), but he simply doesn't possess "elite potential" like Suarez, Lewandowski or Aguero for example.

DRM

Very early days I know but doesnt look anything special to me. Reminds me of Josh king a little bit the way he plays. Time will tell...

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m struggling to see how he’s better than Martial which was the big argument I had when he signed.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well, what most German fans have said all along: He's a solid striker, who relies on his pace and timing his runs behind the last line. Average or slightly above average at best in most other areas though.

He will most likely be an adequate striker in the Premier League (10 - 20 goals per season), but he simply doesn't possess "elite potential" like Suarez, Lewandowski or Aguero for example.
If that's the bar, then not a lot of players in the world will match up to it.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Timo Wiltord. Capable forward/goalscorer with good all round ability, but can be inconsistent thus needing a solid forward to share the load.
Yeah I like that comparison. Early days and all but he's been surprisingly unimpressive.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Really? He seems the total opposite. "Hard worker" is the very last thing I associate with Morata at Chelsea.
No I meant as in a striker that I can see getting shifted soon if it doesnt start working out

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Morata and hard working doesnt strike me as a good comparison to Werner.

Werner looks a threat - but needs the service. He can play across the front line and will always want to run in behind. Jorginho in particular is a sideways pass merchant - Werner needs through balls or you'll never see the best of him

Werner suited Leipzig's style perfectly - he was they're outlet and they played to his strengths. I dont think Chelsea will as much, while he will be a danger I can't see him hitting similar figures.
My phrasing was bad, I meant Morata as in I can see this not working out for him and him being moved on.

GameOn

If that's the bar, then not a lot of players in the world will match up to it.
No, of course not.

If you're fine with a solid, above-average striker, Werner is a good choice. Just don't expect him to turn into one of the elite strikers.

It's just that a lot of Chelsea fans on social media etc. really seem(ed) to expect Werner turning into a top 5 striker in the world. That's unrealistic, since he's just not that talented.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
He's looking good to me, don't know what you guys are seeing..

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's doing okay in a team that is currently a bit of a mess up front. Will need to see what he's like when Pulisic and Ziyech are back and they have a settled attack.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No, of course not.

If you're fine with a solid, above-average striker, Werner is a good choice. Just don't expect him to turn into one of the elite strikers.

It's just that a lot of Chelsea fans on social media etc. really seem(ed) to expect Werner turning into a top 5 striker in the world. That's unrealistic, since he's just not that talented.
There's quite a big gap between elite top 5 in the world and just above average. Werner is a very good striker who will score a lot of goals over the years. Whether people class him as elite or above average is neither here or there for me. If he can get his 20 goals every season, then I'm not particularly bothered if people think his ceiling his Jamie Vardy, Sergio Aguero or Ade Akinbiyi.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's doing okay in a team that is currently a bit of a mess up front. Will need to see what he's like when Pulisic and Ziyech are back and they have a settled attack.
I'd say that's fair. The reaction to the first two games on this forum was very positive. He didn't score but he looked aggressive and sharp, won two penalties.

Hasn't looked amazing the last two games but he scored a goal. Meanwhile Lampard has chopped and changed the team so nothing is settled and as you say, we still haven't seen Pulisic and Ziyech yet.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
since he's just not that talented.
Neither was Diego Costa yet for a good few years he was one of the best forwards around.

There's more to being a top player than pure natural talent else the guys that entered Wayne Rooney's street striker would all have been PL players.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I'd say that's fair. The reaction to the first two games on this forum was very positive. He didn't score but he looked aggressive and sharp, won two penalties.

Hasn't looked amazing the last two games but he scored a goal. Meanwhile Lampard has chopped and changed the team so nothing is settled and as you say, we still haven't seen Pulisic and Ziyech yet.
It is fair. Theres been times where the people who are supposed to supply him mess up the most simple of passes like mount yesterday when werner was clean through or ruben against brighton messed up a simple pass on a 2 vs 1.
Pulisic and ziyech will a make him play futher forward and b give him better service

Meep

Shoulder, top of arm allowed this season.

Good goals but schoolboy defending as well.
The armpit is the line no? He clearly moves the ball forward with his biceps. It should have been disallowed.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You can blame me for his shit form before today, he was in my FF team. All it took was for me to take him out :mad:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You can blame me for his shit form before today, he was in my FF team. All it took was for me to take him out :mad:
Why did you do that? It was a safe bet him scoring today with the space Southampton like to leave in behind.

Robbie Boy

Out of all their recent signings, I think he'll be the biggest success. Was delighted Liverpool didn't get him as he would have been a monumental upgrade on Firmino.

Woodenlung

I'm still taken aback by how fast he is. His acceleration is phenomenal.

His first goal was great for a few reasons. The dummy to get behind the Southampton defender was impressive. But after that he's just so rapid in regathering the ball and bearing down on goal.

Frightening speed.

Irwin99

His first goal reminded me of an old clip from the Brazilian world cup team from 1970, might have been Pele that did a similar dummy but I can't remember. Really nice movement.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
His first goal reminded me of an old clip from the Brazilian world cup team from 1970, might have been Pele that did a similar dummy but I can't remember. Really nice movement.
This. It had the old time look to it. Really well done. Btw. Is he really tall or is Mount a shorty?

TheLord

Watching that Chelsea side had me imagining how deadly Chelsea’s attacking would be if they had a prime Fabregas in the center of the pitch with his sublime through-balls.
I can’t believe the number of times Kepa has cost them points. Long he may continue playing!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There's a reason why he finished 2nd top scorer in Germany last season, only behind Lewandowski.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Seems to be finally getting in his grove. I think City and Pool will kick themselves for not trying harder to get him. A very tidy player.

izec

Seems to be finally getting in his grove. I think City and Pool will kick themselves for not trying harder to get him. A very tidy player.
Ziyech is better and someone we should have bought when he was at Ajax. Waiting for an overpriced Sancho in the summer was always a stupid idea

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
12 games played now for Chelsea, up to 8 goals, 3 assists, and 4 penalties won.

Doing very well already and still feels like he's not fully up to speed yet - once he and Ziyech are on the same wavelength that seems likely to be a tidy linkup.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Putting some good numbers already. Looking forward to more. Premier League fits him so well.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He seems to miss a lot of easy chances. Already looks like he's going to be yet another forward that isn't going to be able to lock down that #9 spot.