Timo Werner

L1nk

So it's safe to say Timo is going to be on the market in the summer, 23 years old, quality striker, versatile, quick as hell, on course to hit over 20 goals every season since joining Leipzig, not to mention assists.

Think he would fit in brilliantly here, and could be a good summer to get him if we do indeed plan on clearing out players as Ole suggests. Personally i'd prefer him in our setup over Lukaku because I feel he's vastly more versatile.

Unfortunately I could see either Liverpool, Bayern or Tottenham going for him, but we should definitely be in the running.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He's not that much (if any) better than Rashford and is a proper pace merchant. Whenever I've watched him I find his technique questionable but fair do's he thrives on the counter, you know .. like Rashford does. His performances for Germany have been pretty dire as well.

14 goals in the Bundesliga for a striker in the 3rd best team is kinda .. meh?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Martial Rashford and Werner would be an electric frontline.

L1nk

He's not that much (if any) better than Rashford and is a proper pace merchant. Whenever I've watched him I find his technique questionable but fair do's he thrives on the counter, you know .. like Rashford does. His performances for Germany have been pretty dire as well.

Right but, we can't solely rely on the massively inconsistent Rashford as our only forward option for the rest of time can we, even the 99 squad had 4 quality forwards in it, and this guy can play along the front line quite easily

deadrevelz

Why would spurs or Liverpool buy him? They have functioning forwards.

Buying him or jovic would be an improvement but don't think it will have a huge effect. They're not van persie level strikers. I'd rather see what our current forwards can do with a good well coached midfield.

L1nk

Buying him or jovic would be an improvement but don't think it will have a huge effect. They're not van persie level strikers. I'd rather see what our current forwards can do with a good well coached midfield.
Probably because they don't wanna wallow in averageness like we do and keep wanting to sign good quality young players that may improve their team, or they want a good abundance of riches to choose from. Whilst we stick with the same old same old and just hand out new contracts to the likes of bang average players like Lingard for the rest of time.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

I liked Timo a lot on the back of the Confederations Cup but, as you note, he was dire at the big show in 2018.

That said, Link is spot on about his club form. He's very consistent at putting the ball in the net and that is something United needs.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Right but, we can't solely rely on the massively inconsistent Rashford as our only forward option for the rest of time can we, even the 99 squad had 4 quality forwards in it, and this guy can play along the front line quite easily
Sure, and I think he would be a good option for you.

But it's just your OP made it seem like he's significantly better or a big improvement than Rashford, I'd have them around the same level. Both quick forwards that flourish on the counter who are good finishers but perhaps lack a bit of polish to their game. I'd question how many Werner would score for you when 90% of sides sit back against United.

I also feel like United have quite a few 'decent/good' options for your forward line, but nobody that really stands out as a world class attacking player - like Salah, Kane, Aguero, Hazard or even maybe Aubameyang. Someone who brings the best out of players like Martial, Rashford or Lingard.

deadrevelz

Probably because they don't wanna wallow in averageness like we do and keep wanting to sign good quality young players that may improve their team, or they want a good abundance of riches to choose from. Whilst we stick with the same old same old and just hand out new contracts to the likes of bang average players like Lingard for the rest of time.
Spurs won't be buying him when they have kane, and son. Liverpool maybe to replace sturridge but like spurs their main area to strengthen is midfield.

deadrevelz

Sure, and I think he would be a good option for you.

But it's just your OP made it seem like he's significantly better or a big improvement than Rashford, I'd have them around the same level. Both quick forwards that flourish on the counter who are good finishers but perhaps lack a bit of polish to their game. I'd question how many Werner would score for you when 90% of sides sit back against United.

I also feel like United have quite a few 'decent/good' options for your forward line, but nobody that really stands out as a world class attacking player - like Salah, Kane, Aguero, Hazard or even maybe Aubameyang. Someone who brings the best out of players like Martial, Rashford or Lingard.
Spot on.

People saying we need a clinical finisher have forgotten how few chances we create. Given service all our forwards will score plenty of goals. I'd rather buy a winger, AM like Fernandes or playmaker.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Spot on.

People saying we need a clinical finisher have forgotten how few chances we create. Given service all our forwards will score plenty of goals. I'd rather buy a winger, AM like Fernandes or playmaker.
Having Rashford, Martial and Werner running at defences might just be crazy enough to work.

L1nk

I'm not suggesting he is like the best player ever, but he's a far better and more consistent player than say, Lingard, whilst being younger with room to improve, and he looks readily available, so why shouldn't we be aiming to upgrade on players with the likes of Werner, not understanding alot of people's attitudes, I mean I could understand if he was crap, but he isn't.

I just wanna see us actually sign some good young talented players and move on the dross we've accumulated, if Werner is readily available I don't see why not, same as Rabiot, same as Jovic, or João Felix or whoever, we should consider all options. We shouldn't turn our noses up at the likes of Werner when we have such embarrassing players in our squad and overestimate our pull with top top players. I swear some people are more than happy to maintain the average status quo we've got sometimes.

arthurka

Get Lukaku out and this guy in.. Direct and pacey. Plus has good skil and can play the role of a wide forward. Him, Rash and Sancho could become really leathal.

Loublaze

ATLien
I'm not suggesting he is like the best player ever, but he's a far better and more consistent player than say, Lingard, whilst being younger with room to improve, and he looks readily available, so why shouldn't we be aiming to upgrade on players with the likes of Werner, not understanding alot of people's attitudes, I mean I could understand if he was crap, but he isn't.

I just wanna see us actually sign some good young talented players and move on the dross we've accumulated, if Werner is readily available I don't see why not, same as Rabiot, same as Jovic, or João Felix or whoever, we should consider all options. We shouldn't turn our noses up at the likes of Werner when we have such embarrassing players in our squad and overestimate our pull with top top players. I swear some people are more than happy to maintain the average status quo we've got sometimes.
Good post

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
A top Bundesliga player doesn't want to extend his contract. Why even bother talking about other clubs besides Bayern being a possibility.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This guy is the type we completely lack. And he us ace both down the right and down the middle. But we won't look his way:(
A) Isn't he supposed to be too similar to Rashford? Ideally, if we're signing a CF we need someone a bit different - either someone who can hold the ball up or playmaker and play as a false number 9.
B) How good is he on the right? A brilliant dribbler? Very creative? I feel we need that type of RW.

padzilla

Hipster
If we are starting with Rashford and Lingard on a regular basis we cannot turn our noses up at the likes of Werner unfortunately. If Ole is serious about getting our pressing game on and hitting teams hard on the counter he is perfect for us. That is why I expect we won't be in for him given how Woodward runs the show.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
A) Isn't he supposed to be too similar to Rashford?
Not really. I believe he is the superior finisher. Plus he is a natural on the right flank (which is opposite of Rashford, who is ace on the left.) A problem position for us. Plus he'd allow us to use a rotating front three.

And he'd be cheaper than Jovic or Sancho but arguably as good a purchase

Ideally, if we're signing a CF we need someone a bit different - either someone who can hold the ball up or playmaker and play as a false number 9.
Werner can hold the ball up very well. Besides, I don't think our recruiting of a 10/false 9 upgrade should affect who else we purchase upfront.

To me a Werner is a cheaper option than a Sancho, yet can still compete with a Rashford down the middle. And in an ideal world we'd add a Joao Felix to the mix. Deepening our tactical flexibility for our forward position

For I believe we are literally the only top team without a true, natural number 10.

B) How good is he on the right? A brilliant dribbler? Very creative? I feel we need that type of RW.
As a winger he is more of a Kancheslkis. Than say a Sancho who is more of a Giggs He also makes about 1.6 key passes per 90 mins. So he is reasonably creative. He'd vastly improve our right flank at the very least

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
When you have a player like Rashford, there is absolutely no reason to buy someone like Werner. I'l list some of the reasons below:

1) Rashford is as good a striker, if not better, than Werner:

If you want to talk about Werner of the 16/17 season, when he scored 21 goals (7 assists) in 31 matches, then I can agree that Werner is better than Rashford. If you look at Werner since that season, he has scored just 27 goals in 58 games (13 assists), that Werner is no better than the current Rashford we have, who has shown tremendous potential since Ole has come in (along with his first season under LvG). Had Werner continued his goalscoring form from the 16/17 season onwards, I would consider him being above Rashford, but, given how his form has dropped in the last two seasons (not only for RB Leipzeg but also for Germany) I wouldn't make that same assessment now.

2) Werner is not effective as a winger:

Some people here have compared Werner to Lingard, saying he can play as an effective winger for us. I don't think he is a world class winger and if he is played there he will be nothing more than a stop-gap solution that won't improve the first team by a lot, atleast not enough to make us firm title contendors. We should be looking for more natural wingers for the RW/LW position if we really want to make an impact next season, not people like Werner whose natural position isn't there.

3) We already have a great backup striker in either Lukaku or Rashford:

Depending on your preference, either Lukaku or Rashford will be the starting striker leaving the other on the bench. With that, we have two very good strikers already in the squad and if you want to play a mostly 1 striker formation, you don't need more than that. Werner won't be any better than either of them so it would be a waste of financies that can be used elsewhere.

Frankly, I think the striker position is the least of problems for United looking towards next season. Therefore, using 30-40 mil of our financies for a player of that position would be a waste.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'l write another post later about how he'd be pretty much the perfect signing for Liverpool though.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

If you are already good, there is always the aim to be better. We lost that over the past 5 years

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
When you have a player like Rashford, there is absolutely no reason to buy someone like Werner. I'l list some of the reasons below:

If you want to talk about Werner of the 16/17 season, when he scored 21 goals (7 assists) in 31 matches, then I can agree that Werner is better than Rashford. If you look at Werner since that season, he has scored just 27 goals in 58 games (13 assists), that Werner is no better than the current Rashford we have, who has shown tremendous potential since Ole has come in (along with his first season under LvG). Had Werner continued his goalscoring form from the 16/17 season onwards, I would consider him being above Rashford, but, given how his form has dropped in the last two seasons (not only for RB Leipzeg but also for Germany) I wouldn't make that same assessment now.

Some people here have compared Werner to Lingard, saying he can play as an effective winger for us. I don't think he is a world class winger and if he is played there he will be nothing more than a stop-gap solution that won't improve the first team by a lot, atleast not enough to make us firm title contendors. We should be looking for more natural wingers for the RW/LW position if we really want to make an impact next season, not people like Werner whose natural position isn't there.

Depending on your preference, either Lukaku or Rashford will be the starting striker leaving the other on the bench. With that, we have two very good strikers already in the squad and if you want to play a mostly 1 striker formation, you don't need more than that. Werner won't be any better than either of them so it would be a waste of financies that can be used elsewhere.

Frankly, I think the striker position is the least of problems for United looking towards next season. Therefore, using 30-40 mil of our financies for a player of that position would be a waste.
Good post! But I think Man Utd need a centre forward with good hold up and link up-play.

Both Rashford and Lukaku is poor in this aspect.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Good post. If we are signing a CF, at least we should sign a proper goal scorer instead of player whose tally is as good as Rashford and Martial. If I'm not wrong, he plays most games as CF.

Mainoldo

I think he’s rubbish. This summer is really important to us. Wasting space on Timo Werner is not.

steakpie

I think he’s rubbish. This summer is really important to us. Wasting space on Timo Werner is not.
I agree, he has no link up play. Whenever I've watched him, he's looked like a Shane Long.

L1nk

So he's good enough for Bayern, but not for us, got it.