Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Timothy Evans Fosu-Mensah
Jan 2, 1998 (18)
Amsterdam

1.90 m

United youth coach Paul McGuiness told SkySports that he is impressed at just how fast the 18-year-old defender is.
"Timothy really settled in during his second year at United. He's got 'wow factor' pace and acceleration. I mean, really, his acceleration is outstanding, which can get him out of trouble when defending and means he's quick to cover people. It's quite dramatic and the crowd have seen that on occasions when he's suddenly burst past people.

"It surprises opponents whether in defence or midfield because a big strength of his is to run into spaces."

Last edited:

m1y2

he's already 1.90, always seemed shorter and a tad short for a CB for me, dunno why maybe it's because he's already bulked up. Can he grow more though? Also if he stays in midfield it doesn't really matter but can be a great addition to set pieces.

btw Pogba is only a centimeter higher - 1.91m

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Really excited about him. Hopefully he gets a decent amount of games this season.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
185 at most. Definitely not 190.

Pogba is 188. He looks a lot taller however.

Mike09

I think he's as tall as Blind. He doesn't look 185-190cm to me. I remember I saw him standing next to Blind and Deeney and it seems they have the same high. He can still grow taller anyway.

Akshay

Staff
I hope we can determine his best position soon and play him there exclusively. I think the development of Jones and Smalling was hindered by being constantly shifted around, from CB to RB to DM (for Jones).

Sb_16

I hope we can determine his best position soon and play him there exclusively. I think the development of Jones and Smalling was hindered by being constantly shifted around, from CB to RB to DM (for Jones).
When talking about Bailly, Mourinho said
"For some periods, he played right-back and, because playing in the right-back position demands more from an attacking point of view, it’s good for a centre-back to play some periods as a right-back."

Jones and Smalling came to us at 19 and 20 year old respectively. Shifting around youngsters is helpful to widen their understanding of new strange positions. Its not uncommon. Its one of the reason why Smalling looks so comfortable when he is suddenly pulled wide from his central position.

Their development was hindered by there own inability to stay fit and rashness, in case of Jones, and inadequate ball skills, in case of Smalling.

As for Mensah, at 18, shifting him around CB, RB and DM will be very beneficial to develop his all round game because those three positions are interrelated as well as he's more comfortable on the ball then the former two, intelligent and seems to be physically very strong and less injury prone.

Akshay

Staff
When talking about Bailly, Mourinho said
"For some periods, he played right-back and, because playing in the right-back position demands more from an attacking point of view, it’s good for a centre-back to play some periods as a right-back."

Jones and Smalling came to us at 19 and 20 year old respectively. Shifting around youngsters is helpful to widen their understanding of new strange positions. Its not uncommon. Its one of the reason why Smalling looks so comfortable when he is suddenly pulled wide from his central position.

Their development was hindered by there own inability to stay fit and rashness, in case of Jones, and inadequate ball skills, in case of Smalling.

As for Mensah, at 18, shifting him around CB, RB and DM will be very beneficial to develop his all round game because those three positions are interrelated as well as he's more comfortable on the ball then the former two, intelligent and seems to be physically very strong and less injury prone.
Smalling only developed into a solid centre-back for us when he got a consistent run of games for us in that position. He never really seemed to be improving much when he was being shunted around the park. That's not to say he didn't gain anything from it, but I'd much rather us develop TFM's core skill-set for whatever position he will eventually specialize in first, and then he can add onto it later. You can develop versatility and learn new positions later as well.

jungledrums

I think he's as tall as Blind. He doesn't look 185-190cm to me. I remember I saw him standing next to Blind and Deeney and it seems they have the same high. He can still grow taller anyway.
Blind and Deeney are not the same height, so I can't imagine what you mean by that. TFM is 190 cm.

We need an rvn

But of an odd statement when you've got numerous websites quoting him at 190. Blind is 180 so that's a good 4 inches difference. Better go to spec savers :cool:

fellaini's barber

I think RB is best for him based on the little I've seen of him, can do a Ramos later in his later in his career and move to CB. He's to good/quick in moving the ball forward to be confined to CB. He reminds me of Rafael going forward, interchanging passes and bombing forward, even seen put in a good cross, i've sorely missed that

Nickosaur

he's already 1.90, always seemed shorter and a tad short for a CB for me, dunno why maybe it's because he's already bulked up. Can he grow more though? Also if he stays in midfield it doesn't really matter but can be a great addition to set pieces.

btw Pogba is only a centimeter higher - 1.91m
Second post and we're already onto the fecking height debate.

ottosec

He's my favorite young player, hopefully he can earn a place in the first team this season. I have high hopes for him.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Genuine beast in every way of the word.
I see an undeveloped skinny ecto child:

His head is quite beastly though on that small chicken chested body with those ant arms. They do count as animals and insects I guess.

Being of dark skin does not mean yo

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

His head is quite beastly though on that small chicken chested body with those ant arms. They do count as animals and insects I guess.

lol You're an idiot. Just because he isn't built like Akinfenwa doesn't mean he isn't powerful. Muscles are more than just mass, it's about fast twitch etc. The guy is clearly powerful if you ever seen him play.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
lol You're an idiot. Just because he isn't built like Akinfenwa doesn't mean he isn't powerful. Muscles are more than just mass, it's about fast twitch etc. The guy is clearly powerful if you ever seen him play.
He specifically said in every way of the word. That means mass too.

Viggers

23 replies to OP and not one regarding his performances. Classic Caf....

From the little I have seen of him, I think he has all the skill needed to be phenomenal in a midfield three alongside Pogba and Schneiderlin. Hoping to see him get some decent game time this year

We need an rvn

From the little I have seen of him, I think he has all the skill needed to be phenomenal in a midfield three alongside Pogba and Schneiderlin. Hoping to see him get some decent game time this year
The OP doesn't state a question and the thread title is about 2016/17 performances. Our discussion on height is as relevant as your post in here given we've yet to see a performance this season. maybe we should move this to the other TFM thread and leave this till we actually start playing games

macheda14

ummm what?

m1y2

There's a weird obsession with player heights in this place.
well and what? it's not like it's out of place considering he's an all round player and his best position wasn't defined just yet. Height is important for a CB in the EPL. And as I said if he played midfield, we already have two tall players in Smalling and the other CB so we have advantage in set pieces with one more tall player and guess what, no need for Fellaini

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I think that would b a great midfield. Or a three of Mensah, Pogba and Herrera even.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Probably the most exciting youngster we have coming through, just need to settle on his best position.

Also, he does need to be careful with some of those slide tackles in the box, I cringed at a couple of them - he will get punished like at Wembley

Martial_Law

Every chance to be the beast!! Think i'll grace the back of my shirt with this lad :)

Fosu-Mensah’s performances even earned him a call-up tot he senior Dutch squad in May and McGuinness is confident his meteoric rise will continue if his performances in pre-season training are anything to go by.

He told Sky Sports: ‘Timothy really settled in during his second year at United. He’s got ‘wow factor’ pace and acceleration. I mean, really, his acceleration is outstanding, which can get him out of trouble when defending and means he’s quick to cover people. It’s quite dramatic and the crowd have seen that on occasions when he’s suddenly burst past people.

‘It surprises opponents whether in defence or midfield because a big strength of his is to run into spaces.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/15/manch...hes-got-the-wow-factor-6008060/#ixzz4ETquAAki

Mike09

Blind and Deeney are not the same height, so I can't imagine what you mean by that. TFM is 190 cm.
What I meant was Mensah is should be between 180cm-183cm. Deeney and Blind are just a reference.

Mancunia_Religion

Colossal player he really is. Going forward he wasn't particularly good though but he'll be fine. I hope we keep him around and rotate him and Valencia at rb.

Devil may care

Interesting to see Jose continue with LvG's RB experiment, especially given he used Varela in midfield in the second half. I could be wrong but I just don't see RB as being a great fit for him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't see it either. I'm a bit worried about him tbh because I don't see him at right back and competition for places at CB will be insane and I don't think he is a stand out CB at the moment to break through immediately. Then that leaves the midfield positions and thus far no manager has used him there.

I just hope he nails a proper position Asap and works on breaking through with that role. First impressions are vital and if he keeps putting in average performances like he did at right back.. the chances of starting in a more comfortable position aren't going to come easy.

As a player he is very talented but players can waste a large part of their career by being played out of position. Januzaj for me isn't going to make it here but one of his key downfalls has been the decision to label him a winger when he lacks the pace for it. If he had continued as a 10.. even if he didn't make it here long term he'd have ended somewhere decent.

ti vu

Too rash let him to get tricked. Tactical raw, perhaps he's not suitable as RB after all. CB department is not ideal for him at the moment. Can see him being experimented as #6 next.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I don't see it. Physically looks ready but his overall game needs a lot of work. He is a couple of seasons away from the first team, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.