Jan 2, 1998 (20)
Nationality:
Netherlands

Height:
Not 1.90 m more like 1.80m - 1.83 m

Last edited:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
What's going on with this guy now? Going on loan again, I suppose. How did he end the season?

haram

Couldn’t really hold a place in the Palace team...

What is his best position?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Couldn’t really hold a place in the Palace team...

What is his best position?
Doesn’t really tell the full story. He started 21 games I think, and was seen as their best player in a fair few. I think Wan Bisaka’s emergence, which only began against us because TFM wasn’t allowed to play made more sense for Palace for obvious reasons.

haram

Doesn’t really tell the full story. He started 21 games I think, and was seen as their best player in a fair few. I think Wan Bisaka’s emergence, which only began against us because TFM wasn’t allowed to play made more sense for Palace for obvious reasons.
Did he not have games at CB as well?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Think just under De Boer with the back 3.
Pretty sure he played against Liverpool or someone there as well when they had a CB injury crisis. Think it was Wan Bissaka's breakout game at rb.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is he really 1.90m? I thought he was closer to Jones/Rojo height than Smalling.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I would like for him to go on loan to a club that will play him at CB. Make it a 24 months deal if needs be, he's still very young.

DWelbz19

Young enough that maybe he’s grown over the last year?
Most likely.

Maybe could help to get him more game time at CB? Especially at the lower side of the league on loan.

Dec9003

I can see him impressing Mourinho over pre season and having a place in the squad this season. He's proven himself at palace in the premier league, it's about time we saw if he can make it here imo.

SteveW

Can this guy actually defend at all? Kept getting caught face on again. :confused:

Axel looks well ahead of him imo.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can this guy actually defend at all? Kept getting caught face on again. :confused:

He can but he's still very impulsive and he needs to kick the habit sooner rather than later.

deafepl

Axel and TFM's passing is ahead of Jones/Smalling and perhaps Bailly, they almost unlock defence twice, it makes a huge difference when we play out from the back. That's why we need a ball playing defence like Toby.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers

What are you saying? He was good at defending for sure against SJ, just once let the playr ping the ball along the line but otherwise cover well for Axel and whover got past Darmian he was there to clear it

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Haven't seen anything of this pre-season so couldn't comment on how he got on last time out. I've never really fancied him as a CB though, has always looked more like a destroying DM to me.

SteveW

What are you saying? He was good at defending for sure against SJ, just once let the playr ping the ball along the line but otherwise cover well for Axel and whover got past Darmian he was there to clear it
He has a strange habit of standing completely square when players run at him which means he's over-committed and ends up having to dive in. It happened a couple of times against SJE. He needs to learn to play the percentages a bit more.

To be totally honest I have some major doubts about him as a defender. He's a great athlete but very mistake prone. He lacks certain basics such as what I just mentioned above. I also think (know) he lacks the ball playing skills to be a United quality midfielder. So unfortunately I'm having major doubts if he will make it here. I can see him being another Micah Richards. Great athlete but not a great footballer.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He has a strange habit of standing completely square when players run at him which means he's over-committed and ends up having to dive in. It happened a couple of times against SJE. He needs to learn to play the percentages a bit more.

To be totally honest I have some major doubts about him as a defender. He's a great athlete but very mistake prone. He lacks certain basics such as what I just mentioned above. I also think (know) he lacks the ball playing skills to be a United quality midfielder. So unfortunately I'm having major doubts if he will make it here. I can see him being another Micah Richards. Great athlete but not a great footballer.
he has that habbit I agree. Not sure if that put him into much trouble against SJ though. Someone should work on him more, he´s still a great prospect, probably having th ebest chance as a RB now, because noone seems to trust him as a mid which is sort of understandable for what you said but I think he could still be a good destroyer and would gain composure with time, he´s not a bad passer if he has time..

SteveW

he has that habbit I agree. Not sure if that put him into much trouble against SJ though. Someone should work on him more, he´s still a great prospect, probably having th ebest chance as a RB now, because noone seems to trust him as a mid which is sort of understandable for what you said but I think he could still be a good destroyer and would gain composure with time, he´s not a bad passer if he has time..
Therein lies the issue. Is he ever going to get that much time on the ball? Maybe he could play that role at a weaker club but he won't be good enough to do it at the highest level. Playing CM for the u23s is very different from doing it in the PL for United. IMO the only way he will make it here is as a defender and the only way that will happen is if he has a MAJOR improvement in his defending. It is possible but seems unlikely. I hope I'm wrong because I thought he had a real chance when he first joined.

Currently I think Axel is the better prospect. He's an equally good athlete but seems to have a better grasp of defending. I'm really curious to see what happens with him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Therein lies the issue. Is he ever going to get that much time on the ball? Maybe he could play that role at a weaker club but he won't be good enough to do it at the highest level. Playing CM for the u23s is very different from doing it in the PL for United. IMO the only way he will make it here is as a defender and the only way that will happen is if he has a MAJOR improvement in his defending. It is possible but seems unlikely. I hope I'm wrong because I thought he had a real chance when he first joined.

Currently I think Axel is the better prospect. He's an equally good athlete but seems to have a better grasp of defending. I'm really curious to see what happens with him.
It kinda looks like he lacks confidence in his own tactical understanding of the role, which is what he has to be learning at the moment. I suspect this issue stops him from acting instinctively, which is his main strength with tackling. So while he looks confused as a defender right now, if he eventually learns and starts to trust himself he might quickly turn into something amazing. Looks doubtful at the moment tho, and i think Tuanzebe has looked a lot better too since being involved with the first team. Tuanzebe just needs to learn how to use his physique to win headers and he'll be ready for more responsibilities i think.

maniwin

With Valencia getting old and Dalot not ready yet he should try hard to cement his place as first choice RB, The guy has every attribute needed to play regularly , he just have to be more discipline and better tactically.

Robbo*

With Valencia getting old and Dalot not ready yet he should try hard to cement his place as first choice RB, The guy has every attribute needed to play regularly , he just have to be more discipline and better tactically.
Agreed, and the more he does there the more he could prove his ability to slot in at CB or CM

Bestietom

We should keep him here this season. Valencia is starting to pick up injuries now, and Dalot is already out injured.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
Last edited:

NoLogo

Player height is weird at times. I mean what is official given as their height and how they really look. Marcus Rashford is according to Wikipedia 1,80m. Yet even on team photos he seems to be at the same height as Pogba and Matic rather than Blind for example.

If I had to guess I would say he is as tall as Dele and he is according to Wikipedia again 1,88m which seems much closer to how tall he actually looks. So either some players don't update their height or there are some people working for our clubs who are really bad at measuring height.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He plays and defends like someone that has relied on sheer superior athleticism in his youth years. Now that’s he’s on an even playing field of athleticism you can see some serious flaws in his basic techniques. I’m not sure if it can be ironed out but I don’t think he’s ready for first team yet

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers

Yeah I mean I am also a bit reserved with him now becasue he's been around for 3 years or so and doesn't seem to add much to his game but I thought someone like Mourinho who is a great defensive coach could help him develop nicely in some regards. These half step slower to tackle situations and his rash challenges along with at times questionable positioning should be addressed asap if he's ever to make the step up but maybe he just needs to play real games, when he played for Palace he was usually very good and remember that game against Sane at time the best winger in the league, had him in his pocket. These games should give him confidence to play like that and he can build on that, maybe he will get a chance early to the season if Valencia is injured. Fingers crossed for him because he has a good head on him..

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
There is no way he is 1.90m.

This is from January, he's clearly shorter than Mamadou Sakho, who is 1.87m:

He was shorter than Axel Tuanzebe vs San Jose as well, and Axel is 1.85m.

Fosu-Mensah is more like 1.80m - 1.83m

Nope.
He is a hair shorter there than Sakho who is standing closer to the camera and TFM has a slight lean. He looks the exact same height as TJ McConnell who is also listed as 6'2. How you've then come to the conclusion he is over 3 inches shorter than them is baffling.

lifted

I saw him with Bailly in Manchester a couple of weeks ago and they were a very similar height.

kundalini

Scared to play from the back.

Clearly he is a good athlete but the rest of his game needs work.

In the long run, I think he'll be a decent central defender for some team. Other positions would require him to make significant improvement to his technical ability.

Last edited:

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
Loan to Hertha Berlin. Hopefully gets a lot of game time and some at CB. Any Bundesliga followers know what their backline situation is like?
In the CB position, Niklas Stark and Karim Rekik are solid, Torunarigha still young and learning.
We will probably utilize Fosu-Mensah much more often as a CDM and/or RB.
I don't know whether he will be starting all the time, but i believe, he could definitely get a lot of minutes in those positions.
Dardai also said a while ago, that he would like to play with a back three, but i don't know how serious he is about that and how often we will actually play that system.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Off to Fulham on loan by the looks of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.