Timothy-Fosu-Mensah | 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
But TFM played all the games until that United game. It's not like he didn't play or perform, they used him, regularly, but now they found someone from their club, they want to use him, and they are trying to loan someone else in another position.
It's not about him being from their club, it's about him not being as good as Wan-Bissaka. WB being on the books at palace had nothing to do with it. They were deep in a relegation battle and picked the better playerm

MAME DIOUF 32

Maybe if he's consistently played in one position he'd have kicked on? Anyway, the chance to make it here has probably been and gone.

Patrick08

It's not about him being from their club, it's about him not being as good as Wan-Bissaka. WB being on the books at palace had nothing to do with it. They were deep in a relegation battle and picked the better playerm
Team's don't play players they have no chance to sign. I don't think there is any difference between the two.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Team's don't play players they have no chance to sign. I don't think there is any difference between the two.
They do if it increases their chance of surviving in the premier league. That is a given.

Loublaze

ATLien
Ole has not worked with him yet.
Think we wont get rid of him until he has seen what he can do.
Im keen to see what role Ole sees TFM playing in primarily. The club is strongly linked with Wan Bissaka who interestingly enough took TFM's spot at Crystal Palace while he was on loan there playing as a RB mostly.

KGBhoy

He had an operation? I didn't even know he was injured.

Tapori

Im keen to see what role Ole sees TFM playing in primarily. The club is strongly linked with Wan Bissaka who interestingly enough took TFM's spot at Crystal Palace while he was on loan there playing as a RB mostly.
That was most intriguing.
I think Ole will want to see TFM for himself.

Web of Bissaka

Hmm.. his playstyle can be too rash.

I like to see him being given the chances first with the first team, I mean shouldn't be hard to replace the many bad apples among our defenders.

Let's see if Ole will try him or ignore him next season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He has not played for Ole.
So I'm sure he will be given a chance.
Unlike many I feel Ole with a full pre-season and players he gets we will have a good team we will be proud to support.
I will be praying to Mohammed, Jesus, Buddha and Ganesh for this.

Guys, make it happen!!

Bestietom

I followed Fosu as a young player with the Youths and thought this guy is going to be our new Carrick.

He just stuck out as a commanding player and he had Strength, Speed, Good Passer, and could Tackle.

I really thought that he would eventually be given special training attention for this position, and I was excited about that which I pointed out in an earlier post some time ago.

However this never materialised and we brought in Matic and Fred for this position and Fosu was sent out on loan. I do honestly think that this destroyed some of his confidence as he had got some rave reviews of succeeding here. I believe under Ole and Phelan that this young man can still make it and would like to see him being given a chance.IMO

When he was at the club he played well for us, I don't know why we sent him out on loan. I think we should keep him at the club and develop him ourselves. We're rebuilding so there's a good opportunity for him to be apart of the new team.

Ole quickly saw that Pereira wasn't a #6 and changed him back to his correct position as an AM. I think he will do the same with Fosu he's a central player CB/DM.

In Rainbows

Not good enough.
He should only be be given a chance as a destroyer. His defensive instincts in regards to playing an offside trap or when handling a threatening runner as the last line of defense is a big weakness of his. Being a destroyer would limit that area and tackling would be more prominent in that role.

Otherwise he should probably leave. I always found it strange that Tuanzebe was tried at DM, but not Fosu Mensah, when Tuanzebe had good CB instincts. I understand it in a vacuum, but paired with TFM, Tuanzebe is easily the better CB.

haram

He should only be be given a chance as a destroyer. His defensive instincts in regards to playing an offside trap or when handling a threatening runner as the last line of defense is a big weakness of his. Being a destroyer would limit that area and tackling would be more prominent in that role.

Otherwise he should probably leave. I always found it strange that Tuanzebe was tried at DM, but not Fosu Mensah, when Tuanzebe had good CB instincts. I understand it in a vacuum, but paired with TFM, Tuanzebe is easily the better CB.
I agree. I rate Tuanzebe and think he will have a good career at United.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was very good for us under Van Gaal. Then he went to Palace and was very good there too. All been pretty disastrous since then from what I gather. I think he has suffered due to senior teams not liking to play young players centrally if they can help it. TFM as a senior has ultimately judged by how good a right back he is, despite nobody expecting him to become a right back!

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He’s not a right back that’s for sure. Give him a shot as a DM. He can’t do worse than Matic has this season. And get Rice in as well so they can compete.

McTominay to replace Herrera in that box to box role.

DM: Rice, Fosu Mensah
CM: McTominay, Fred, Pogba, new signing

I would just sell Matic and Perreira (don’t think he’s good enough).

Hammondo

He’s not a right back that’s for sure. Give him a shot as a DM. He can’t do worse than Matic has this season. And get Rice in as well so they can compete.

Pogba is not really a cm, he doesn't control the midfield in any way. He's an am, he's all about attacking.

Godfather

Jesus

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Pogba is not really a cm, he doesn't control the midfield in any way. He's an am, he's all about attacking.
Going by that qualification, we don't have any CM's. Pogba normally controls it, and the team, more than any other player we have. That's one of our biggest issues - we're completely reliant on one man (Pogba) to do everything in there when we actually have the ball. There's no other top team in the world that is so reliant on one person. We need at least one other in there to combine with him, or if he leaves we need to spread the workload over at least two.

Hammondo

Going by that qualification, we don't have any CM's. Pogba normally controls it, and the team, more than any other player we have. That's one of our biggest issues - we're completely reliant on one man (Pogba) to do everything in there when we actually have the ball. There's no other top team in the world that is so reliant on one person. We need at least one other in there to combine with him, or if he leaves we need to spread the workload over at least two.
Yea we have no real cm's. We have am, box to box, DM. Pogba has no controlled the midfield, he leaves it for others to try to do, and this is our teams biggest weakness. No one comes close to being good enough to do it, so we lose the midfield battle against bottom table teams.

jesperjaap

Maybe if he's consistently played in one position he'd have kicked on? Anyway, the chance to make it here has probably been and gone.
I agree, sadly he actually has though and its completely the wrong one for him as a full back. Don think we will ever know now, but I always thought within a year or two he could have been ready to compete in our squad as a centre back, similar to Tuanzabe now or as a defensive midfielder.....two areas we are weak in. WIth us and on loan I think he has been totally wasted as a full back

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's absolutely nowhere near Premier League quality. SPL would be a good move for him.

Mid-table.

Sylar

He's absolutely nowhere near Premier League quality. SPL would be a good move for him.

Mid-table.
It's not a world class set of players, but if anything ,Liverpool have shown that you don't need to have that (as can be also seen by our attempts)

A well drilled hard working unit in the middle can work if done right and still produce excellent football

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He’s either be sold or be given another chance at the club this season. I don’t think it’ll be on loan anymore since his contract end next year.

He hasn’t been really doing well on loan. Injuries & may be also full backs or defender is not his thing.

redtony

I think Ole will keep him (because he can say he has more academy players in the squad) but I would be surprised if he played.

Aside from having average football intelligence, he doesn't strike me as someone that will run more than his teammates and that is something I think Ole will expect from his below average players. (something Fergie liked too)

Number32

I'd choose Perreira over Fred. Fred is great but still looks like another Kleberson for us.
Not so long ago TFM, McTominay, and Perreira had won U23 title for us, They already have chemistry and will be a good fit.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Don't think Timothy will be going anywhere just yet, Ole will probably want to have a good look at him, and a few academy players, during the pre season, and also a season with United. I'm sure there's a decent player in there somewhere, and, to me, a defensive midfield role would suit him best, good strong tackler, decent (not brilliant) in the air, and quite quick, but he does have a tendency for sloppy passes now and again, and would need to see how his positioning, and reading of the game goes. Out of all the youngsters coming through, he has had the most PL experience, but only as a right back, so we'll see how he progresses (or not) this season.

SparkedIntoLife

There's an ITK on Reddit who apparently knows lots of the United scouts and has gotten things right before when it comes to news; specifically regarding academy and reserves players. This guy is also Dutch. He claims that a move for TFM back to Ajax was arranged a while back. It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him but he's appeared to have stagnated significantly; probably not helped by our tendency to develop young players in multiple positions which can help round off some players in terms of all round ability but too often damages the progression of others. He should have been developed as a DM for the last 3 or 4 years and only sent on loans where that was the planned position for him. Shifting him to RB and CD has affected his confidence and momentum IMHO. Sometimes players just need to be a master of one trade rather than a jack of many. Injuries haven't helped either. I do hope he can eventually come good as he seems a great guy.

In a dream scenario, Ajax re-sign TFM (giving us a fairly good buyback clause) and we get De Ligt. The latter looks very unlikely.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There's an ITK on Reddit who apparently knows lots of the United scouts and has gotten things right before when it comes to news; specifically regarding academy and reserves players. This guy is also Dutch. He claims that a move for TFM back to Ajax was arranged a while back. It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him but he's appeared to have stagnated significantly; probably not helped by our tendency to develop young players in multiple positions which can help round off some players in terms of all round ability but too often damages the progression of others. He should have been developed as a DM for the last 3 or 4 years and only sent on loans where that was the planned position for him. Shifting him to RB and CD has affected his confidence and momentum IMHO. Sometimes players just need to be a master of one trade rather than a jack of many. Injuries haven't helped either. I do hope he can eventually come good as he seems a great guy.

In a dream scenario, Ajax re-sign TFM (giving us a fairly good buyback clause) and we get De Ligt. The latter looks very unlikely.
Shows how shit we've been in developing talent. We're good at getting them in but then....

Mickson

The thing is that TFM is not a fullback. Never will be a good one because of his ball playing skills and crossing etc. I don't think he's calm and assured enough for a DM role, and his passing... well, I don't think it's up to the modern standard in that position. What's left? CB. He has some attributes to work there, for example, he's really fast and in that way can cover minor mistakes, he's also big and strong in his tackling and he's okayish in the air (something he easily can work more on as well). So, the next problem is that he's raw AF. He's not ready for United in that position, he isn't even ready for Fulham in that position. If I were in charge, I would send him on loan to a side in Holland or even Belgium, I don't really care but somewhere he can play CB week in and week out and mature in that position. If not, he has no future at United.

SparkedIntoLife

Shows how shit we've been in developing talent. We're good at getting them in but then....
Statistically we're very good when it comes to young players. First team wise though, in the last decade, a lot of players have regressed on our watch. I get the impression many of the youngsters are overcoached with effectiveness and versatility prized over artistry and intuition. Something Nicky Butt said at the awards evening raised alarm bells with me. He said that young players being promoted to the seniors find that the older pros kick them if they try to dribble around them. While what he's saying isn't untrue, I think it's indicative of a culture that all too often dissuades talented players from individual expression. The obvious example was Wayne Rooney - super productive for many years in terms of assists and goal scoring but, for better or worse, didn't develop into the frightening maverick he threatened to be between 16 and 20 when he was scoring lots of long range screamers, overhead kicks etc.

TFM had it in him to be a Kante type IMHO. He's been shoved out to RB for years where he has pace, strength and defensive aggression but none of the attacking raw qualities to really succeed there as a modern fullback. Ultimately, he hasn't flourished there and it's hit his confidence. I have no idea why we have persisted with this development path for him and not sent him on loan to clubs that will let him play where he's best which is clearly DM.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Statistically we're very good when it comes to young players. First team wise though, in the last decade, a lot of players have regressed on our watch. I get the impression many of the youngsters are overcoached with effectiveness and versatility prized over artistry and intuition. Something Nicky Butt said at the awards evening raised alarm bells with me. He said that young players being promoted to the seniors find that the older pros kick them if they try to dribble around them. While what he's saying isn't untrue, I think it's indicative of a culture that all too often dissuades talented players from individual expression. The obvious example was Wayne Rooney - super productive for many years in terms of assists and goal scoring but, for better or worse, didn't develop into the frightening maverick he threatened to be between 16 and 20 when he was scoring lots of long range screamers, overhead kicks etc.

TFM had it in him to be a Kante type IMHO. He's been shoved out to RB for years where he has pace, strength and defensive aggression but none of the attacking raw qualities to really succeed there as a modern fullback. Ultimately, he hasn't flourished there and it's hit his confidence. I have no idea why we have persisted with this development path for him and not sent him on loan to clubs that will let him play where he's best which is clearly DM.
Yeap. TFM will be seen as one that was wasted away due to mismanagement which lead to his loss of confidence. He played like he was never rushed in the Ressies. If he had to then he could switch his turbo on to compensate for the misjudgment.

Now he is a bundle of nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.