Timothy-Fosu-Mensah | 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

The thing is that TFM is not a fullback. Never will be a good one because of his ball playing skills and crossing etc. I don't think he's calm and assured enough for a DM role, and his passing... well, I don't think it's up to the modern standard in that position. What's left? CB. He has some attributes to work there, for example, he's really fast and in that way can cover minor mistakes, he's also big and strong in his tackling and he's okayish in the air (something he easily can work more on as well). So, the next problem is that he's raw AF. He's not ready for United in that position, he isn't even ready for Fulham in that position. If I were in charge, I would send him on loan to a side in Holland or even Belgium, I don't really care but somewhere he can play CB week in and week out and mature in that position. If not, he has no future at United.
I disagree with the DM part. It's possible he makes it as a destroyer like Kante, Ndidi, and Rice. Those players aren't all that great at passing.

I used to actually believe he would make for a great CB, but the more I've watched him, the more I have seen him look clueless in regards to team defense. I saw him make it completely easy for someone to put in a cross because of his inability to deal with a potential 1-2, and I've seen him make mistakes with keeping players onside.

kundalini

The evidence that TFM is a DM is pretty scarce. A season in our U18s, about 6 games at U19 level and 4 starts at U23 level. He might learn to play the role in the professional game but he'd need to start at a relatively low level, then progress.

He has been used at CB for the Netherlands U16, U17, U19 and U21s. They don't seem to view him as a DM.

Palace initially used him as part of a back 3, then moved him to right-back when Hodgson changed to a back 4. Fulham have used him as a right-back.

I think he would be a better player had he simply stayed at Ajax and played CB. Moving to United, combined with changes of position, and loan spells, hasn't helped him.

Last edited:

Negan

Loan him to Ajax in a deal that will see Ziyech join us.

In Rainbows

The evidence that TFM is a DM is pretty scarce. A season in our U18s, about 6 games at U19 level and 4 starts at U23 level. He might learn to play the role in the professional game but he'd need to start at a relatively low level, then progress.

He has been used at CB for the Netherlands U16, U17, U19 and U21s. They don't seem to view him as a DM.

Palace initially used him as part of a back 3, then moved him to right-back when Hodgson changed to a back 4. Fulham have used him as a right-back.

I think he would be a better player had he simply stayed at Ajax and played CB. Moving to United, combined with changes of position, and loan spells, hasn't helped him.
We used him as a DM and as a RB. Him playing as a CB at youth level means nothing, just like him playing as a RB at first team level means nothing in the long run.

You can simply assess what he's good at and what he's bad at, then make a call on what position suits him. You have to give a reason for why CB suits him, or RB suits, or DM suits him. Managers are simply looking to win and they might be more tempted to play him at RB because of his little experience at RB with United. Tuanzebe was played at RB for Villa and surprise, when they started to play him at CB under the new manager, Villa fans started to praise him.

haram

We used him as a DM and as a RB. Him playing as a CB at youth level means nothing, just like him playing as a RB at first team level means nothing in the long run.

You can simply assess what he's good at and what he's bad at, then make a call on what position suits him. You have to give a reason for why CB suits him, or RB suits, or DM suits him. Managers are simply looking to win and they might be more tempted to play him at RB because of his little experience at RB with United. Tuanzebe was played at RB for Villa and surprise, when they started to play him at CB under the new manager, Villa fans started to praise him.
What do you mean it means nothing? Of course it means something.

Ekeke

When I saw him for Fulham last season he was nowhere near as bad as is made out on here. I could see him staying as a backup rightback for a bit until Ole decides what to do with him.

In Rainbows

Not really. For example, we all know Tuanzebe and Fosu Mensah played at RB because it's easier to play them in that position than it is at CB. That's where they get their start a lot of the time. What makes you think whoever played them in that position thought so because that is where they see them ending up, rather than just putting them there to start their careers?

Just assess what the player excels at and then decide what you think they fit best at. In regards to TFM, why does it make more sense for him to be a RB than a destroyer? Modern fullbacks these days have a lot more attacking responsibility. If you see TFM, a lot of the time he just passes it back to recycle possession because he isn't that great going forward. He can dribble with the ball whenever there is space in front of him. He's not particularly good at deciding which player to go after when confronted near the box which is why many Fulham fans didn't rate him.

I've watched TFM since he came to United and I saw one of the most gifted tacklers I've seen. I also saw decent technical ability for a CB, who could drive forward after winning the ball or any time when a counter attack was on. A destroyer could use those traits and him being a substandard passer isn't a big deal when a destroyer is mainly there to break up attacks, give the ball up, and cover a lot of ground. Seems like the perfect type of player to put next to Pogba who lessens all the attacking responsibility for his fellow midfielders.

On the other hand, Tuanzebe is the smarter defender. He's better at reading when to spring the offside trap, how to defend potentially 2 attackers near the box, etc... it's why he's succeeding as a CB. A destroyer wouldn't be put in as many of those situations as a CB would.

Last edited:

Number32

It means something for the scouts, but nothing for a manager. Every scout saw Matic as CB before someone in Benfica put him in midfield.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevondo8

Fastest player in the league last season apparently. Was wondering whether his best position would ultimately be on the right of a back three? Essentially playing the role Kyle walker had for England in the World Cup, where his pace is used to cover the shortcomings of others.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Ultimately looks like he isn't good enough but I'd prefer to at least give him the opportunity to prove that next season rather than persist with the likes of Jones, Smalling, Rojo et al.

Mickson

Fastest player in the league last season apparently. Was wondering whether his best position would ultimately be on the right of a back three? Essentially playing the role Kyle walker had for England in the World Cup, where his pace is used to cover the shortcomings of others.
Yeah probably. I think he would be good there.

Kearnkoff69

Ultimately looks like he isn't good enough but I'd prefer to at least give him the opportunity to prove that next season rather than persist with the likes of Jones, Smalling, Rojo et al.
Me too. Just because he has not looked like he is going to turn into a world class player like we hoped for does not mean he cannot be a good backup/squad player for us for years to come. I would rather have our backup players consist of homegrown talent who love the club and are happy in the city rather than average international players who would cost more to acquire and keep.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Me too. Just because he has not looked like he is going to turn into a world class player like we hoped for does not mean he cannot be a good backup/squad player for us for years to come. I would rather have our backup players consist of homegrown talent who love the club and are happy in the city rather than average international players who would cost more to acquire and keep.
Agree. "Homegrown" is a stretch though!

Kearnkoff69

Agree. "Homegrown" is a stretch though!
Definitely a bit of a stretch as compared to a player like Greenwood. Joined us in 2014 if I recall correctly, so he would have already been 16(?). Still, nice to see talent join the senior squad and play a role, no matter how big or small that role is.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Has Ole said anything about TFM?
He's said he is out for another 6/8 months on Snapchat. Unfortunately for him I think that is any chance he had of making it here over with as he needed (at minimum) another loan anyway and won't be able to get one. Hope he does have a decent career.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It seems like every young half promising kid from our academy gets injured in crucial period when they need to step up in the first team.

Onerealunited

He still has a huge talent but he need playing time at high level. I would suggest we sign a 5 year long contract with him (he’s only 20) and loan him out to a German club for 2 years. That should be enough time for him to develop. After the two years we can then decide whether to keep him in the first team or sell him

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
No
He still has a huge talent but he need playing time at high level. I would suggest we sign a 5 year long contract with him (he’s only 20) and loan him out to a German club for 2 years. That should be enough time for him to develop. After the two years we can then decide whether to keep him in the first team or sell him
Not a bad suggestion at all. I still feel he has something to give, possibly a DM position? But first he needs to become more aware of situations around him, and the ability to pass the ball well, he has the physique and the ability to tackle and press, probably needs more experience (although I think he is the most experienced of our current loaners in the Prem).

Mr PG

I was hopeful for Timo but no other team wants him wants him is all you all need to know. That's a sign.

Ace of Spades

feck, that sucks. Still hope he recovers, and maybe can play as a destroyer in midfield, has all the tools needed to play that role imo.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's said he is out for another 6/8 months on Snapchat. Unfortunately for him I think that is any chance he had of making it here over with as he needed (at minimum) another loan anyway and won't be able to get one. Hope he does have a decent career.

Poor kid. I hope he gets fit sooner and gets a chance with us in the new year. A long shot, but I'm rooting for him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Really bad news at a critical time in his development. Last loan spell wasn't great, so this really is a kick in the teeth.

Hope he comes back stronger. He's already got an excellent song!

Foxbatt

I have to agree with Rainbow on this. He is very quick and very strong and can tackle well and is also a good header of the ball. His passing is also not that bad either. He could turn out to be a good DM who can be the destroyer. Now his starting position is irrelevant as Bastian started as a winger and ended up being one of the best midfield players in the world.

Based Adnan

Only 21 and already has multiple serious injuries to his name. Hate to see it happen to such a young promising talent.

Alabaster Codify7

He's a fantastic athlete and a terrible footballer. Headless chicken. No position will work for him unless he undergoes a complete footballing transformation. If he does,we have serious potential. But lets not kid ourselves here.

Status
Not open for further replies.