Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
We seem to have a whole team of players that would make decent squad players but very few if any who would be good starters

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We should probably get an actual defensive midfielder then.
In hindsight I do wonder if it might have been worth just splashing out for Longstaff due to how threadbare our midfield's currently looking.

Bestietom

Can we use this guy as a CDM? I’d rather see him play than Matic or even Fred.
He can't be worse than Pereira or Fred. Give him a chance at DM in in a pivot, with McTominay. McKenna thinks he can make it as a DM and he knows better than us.

Last edited:

Tibs

Should defo be given a chance as a DM

Tim - Pog - McTom

Bestietom

We must banish all thoughts of TFM of ever becoming a midfielder, but he did put in a few decent performances as a CB for Palace. Once he's completely fit I'd like to see him in a few FA Cup matches this season. He may prove to be shattered, but if he has something in his game I wouldn't seeing him as a fourth place option for us and letting Rojo or Jones go.
So you don't see any future in a 21 year old who has been out injured for nearly a season and who went on loan with 2 different clubs. He had a run of games under LVG and done well, so he deserves as much a chance as Pereira and Lingard.

yardieUnited

Well Defensive midfielder is his original position and I think he can actually succeed there, he got the speed and is physically strong.
He probably needs to work on his positioning.

arthurka

So you don't see any future in a 21 year old who has been out injured for nearly a season and who went on loan with 2 different clubs. He had a run of games under LVG and done well, so he deserves as much a chance as Pereira and Lingard.
Agree

Nick7

Well Defensive midfielder is his original position and I think he can actually succeed there, he got the speed and is physically strong.
He probably needs to work on his positioning.
No it’s not. He was a centre back that occasionally played in midfield.

Brophs

The One and Only
Protect those assets, Woody. Protect them real nice.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Loan him this Jan to an Eredivise side. The guy needs to play after such a long injury. Then sale him in July.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is in the travelling squad for Europa game.

Andersonson

Hopefully he shows bit promise so we can get a couple of bucks for him. He's no where good enough.

Not even sure any championship teams would take him.

I have no clue why anyone thinks he should get a chance in our first team. He has done nothing the last 3 years to prove he's a worthy man united player.

Alabaster Codify7

Protect those assets, Woody. Protect them real nice.

"Oooooooh…...that's right, Edward. Protect my assets...…"

This does feel pointless, it's just so we can get a fee for him in summer 2020 I reckon. TFM has looked nothing like a footballer for the most part at all clubs he's made cameos for. Another Michail Antonio - superb athlete, no footballing brain.

Alabaster Codify7

Hopefully he shows bit promise so we can get a couple of bucks for him. He's no where good enough.

Not even sure any championship teams would take him.

I have no clue why anyone thinks he should get a chance in our first team. He has done nothing the last 3 years to prove he's a worthy man united player.

I keep using this in a lot of our threads at the moment.

Fear.

A lot of our fans are terrified at the prospect that we don't actually have much to look forward to under this regime and manager, deep down - so they paint this façade that we have tons of talented kids raring to go and provide us with a bright future. There HAS to be something for fans to cling to, to justify them following the club down a dark path.

Reality is, only 2-3 of those kids will still be here in 2022.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Fear.

A lot of our fans are terrified at the prospect that we don't actually have much to look forward to under this regime and manager, deep down - so they paint this façade that we have tons of talented kids raring to go and provide us with a bright future. There HAS to be something for fans to cling to, to justify them following the club down a dark path.

Good post. Another question that needs to be asked is: of the youngsters who end up making it, are they just good enough for where we are now, or will they be good enough for the level we aspire to be?

Andersonson

Fear.

Spot on

In Rainbows

Fear.

That's not always the case. Many of us want the kids to be tried because our options are dire. We know the dire players aren't the solution so it doesn't hurt to try someone like Rashford was tried. Doesn't mean the success rate is 50% or even 25%. Still, you have to try out in positions that need solving until a player is bought.

In the case of TFM, he should be tried out. Nobody is asking him to be Modric or Roy Keane. People want him to use his defensive ability and athleticism to win the ball back, and to pass it off to his teammates who are all more technically gifted. TFM failed at RB because he's not good enough going forward and his awareness being the last line of defense fails him. The latter part is a problem when it comes to being a CB. This is not a problem as a destroyer.

SteveW

He's not a good player and shouldn't be here long term. I'd give him a run in midfield against Astana though on the off chance he could be an improvement on Pereira. We need to solidify the midfield before Spurs and City.

SteveW

That's not always the case. Many of us want the kids to be tried because our options are dire. We know the dire players aren't the solution so it doesn't hurt to try someone like Rashford was tried. Doesn't mean the success rate is 50% or even 25%. Still, you have to try out in positions that need solving until a player is bought.

In the case of TFM, he should be tried out. Nobody is asking him to be Modric or Roy Keane. People want him to use his defensive ability and athleticism to win the ball back, and to pass it off to his teammates who are all more technically gifted. TFM failed at RB because he's not good enough going forward and his awareness being the last line of defense fails him. The latter part is a problem when it comes to being a CB. This is not a problem as a destroyer.
I've suggested giving him a run against Astana in midfield. That's down to us having literally no competent midfielders available. Thinking he'd ever be any more than a stop gap solution is insane. He doesn't have the passing range or comfort in possession to be good enough there. Playing slow wide open reserves football made it look to some like he could play there but if pressed hard by PL players he would cough the ball up possession consistently.

People seem to underestimate how difficult a position it is to play. You need to be comfortable off both feet and have 360 degree awareness. Being a superb athlete who tackles hard is only a tiny part of it.

0le

He's not a good player and shouldn't be here long term. I'd give him a run in midfield against Astana though on the off chance he could be an improvement on Pereira. We need to solidify the midfield before Spurs and City.
He is not in the travelling squad, so he may not be ready for any minutes yet.

SteveW

He is not in the travelling squad, so he may not be ready for any minutes yet.
Ah ok. Must have changed from the squad MEN tweeted earlier. No loss to be totally honest.

In Rainbows

I've suggested giving him a run against Astana in midfield. That's down to us having literally no competent midfielders available. Thinking he'd ever be any more than a stop gap solution is insane. He doesn't have the passing range or comfort in possession to be good enough there. Playing slow wide open reserves football made it look to some like he could play there but if pressed hard by PL players he would cough the ball up possession consistently.

People seem to underestimate how difficult a position it is to play. You need to be comfortable off both feet and have 360 degree awareness. Being a superb athlete who tackles hard is only a tiny part of it.
You're more than likely right about his chances to prove that he's capable, but people only want him to be tried. And it's not like he has no experience playing at the top level. His deficiencies at the top level were his defensive lapses as part of the last line of defense, and his inability to contribute meaningfully in attack in an era where attacking fullbacks are the norm.

If McTominay can make it, then there is still hope TFM can make it. The two aren't all that different in terms of passing ability and if there is any difference, it's due to McTominay getting that experience in central midfield for long periods. He has the athleticism and tackling ability to be useful as a destroyer, but like you said, it's more likely that he fails.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I really like him for some reason, but the last we saw of him he was pretty terrible. I don't get the new deal, but they must be seeing something maybe he'll fight back after that injury!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I have soft spot for quick defenders so i am happy that he got another year to prove himself. I hope he will get chance on dmc. Lvg once said that he can be good dmc and in that area i trust Lvg.

Sokz

Sell him to Ajax so we can buy him back for 100m in two years.

dablem_10

Spotted back in training today.

Do we think he has a future at United?
i dont think he has anyfuture at our club. Injury prone, even himself doesnt know what is position is, his train went already, he need to restart career elsewhere. I was so optimistic after his first starts during LVG, but the guy even regressed from that point. Two not successull loans, ACL injury. I see his chances like 5% with us, which is only teoretical

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Personally - I wouldn't rule any player out under Ole so far - players can improve 10-20% & if TFm play like he did under LVG & improve 10% on it then he has a chance - same with players like Bailly but the chances are slim.

Ace of Spades

Let us wait and see. He could be an option as a CB or DM. Having an option is good at least, we are very light on numbers currently.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Him and Laird should have healthy rivalry.

The concern about Mensah is real as he rush into sacrificial tackles and risky head to head challenges, which is nothing bad btw, but we also surely don't want another Bailly / Jones type of kamikaze.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Him and Laird should have healthy rivalry.

The concern about Mensah is real as he rush into sacrificial tackles and risky head to head challenges, which is nothing bad btw, but we also surely don't want another Bailly / Jones type of kamikaze.
Where's the rivalry though? He might be a marginally better defender but probably not for long, and attacking wise there's no comparison, Laird is already vastly superior. Wish him well but I'd be shocked if he stays at United past this season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Where's the rivalry though? He might be a marginally better defender but probably not for long, and attacking wise there's no comparison, Laird is already vastly superior. Wish him well but I'd be shocked if he stays at United past this season.
I'd rather clear out the squad from players like Jones, Rojo, Bailly first. Mensah is not a big wage or squad space problem anyway, especially if what you say about Laird will come to full fruition.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Imagine if all this time out with injuries put a cool head on him. Possibly he'll just have regressed or at the least stalled his development, but him coming back more mature than earlier would be a nice unexpected bonus. Could possibly be a backup CB or even good CDM as a late developer.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He's probably got the rest of this season to prove himself, but realistically, I can't see him as a full back, possibly a CB, but always felt he could be a great DM. Winning the ball is not a problem, but it's what he does with it that will determine his outcome. Personally, I would like to see him progress into a solid premiership player, as I would all our academy graduates, but that is not realistic. Let's hope we get two or three come through over the next year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.