Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Utd 2:1 LASK

Dearg hÉireann

I remember his debut season under Van Gaal and thinking this kid is going to be a beast of a player, quick, powerful and tenacious. Tonight just proved how 2 bad loan spells and a serious knee injury have destroyed his chance of making it for a top top club.

He's so far from where he should be at 22, his passing and positioning were unbelievably bad tonight but it's really no surprise having played fewer than 60 first team games in over 4 years.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I remember his debut season under Van Gaal and thinking this kid is going to be a beast of a player, quick, powerful and tenacious. Tonight just proved how 2 bad loan spells and a serious knee injury have destroyed his chance of making it for a top top club.

He's so far from where he should be at 22, his passing and positioning were unbelievably bad tonight but it's really no surprise having played fewer than 60 first team games in over 4 years.
Agreed, doesn't look as hungry as when he first played for us. Very passive.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's 22?? Thought he was like 24. He has the speed and strength but his decision making and end product is atrocious

Jaxa

Being realistic he won't make it here, nice kid but out of his depth and tbh i don't think he even has use as a squad player

ti vu

LVG's rigid instructions made it easier for some players. However, majority of teams don't follow same philosophy, and TFM was found out for his lack of football understanding since.

Nothing to do with injury or bad loan spell. He's hardly improved in technical ability before the injury. Not very with with heading. Poor crossing technique... Just out of his depth.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I just dont understand why he is a fullback though - surely if you asked TFM what his natural position is it wont be replied to be a fullback?

I'd have liked to see him as a CB or CDM - if he doesnt get to play there and improve his ability; I dont see any improvement on him as a player or a fullback.

RORY65

He needs a loan out for a season for sure
He's had 2 and he hasn't been very good during either of them. He could become a useful utility player for a lower Premier League or decent Championship team but I'm not sure why he's suddenly a realistic back up right back for us.

pascell

He's had those.

I think we need to get rid tbh.
He's had 2 and he hasn't been very good during either of them. He could become a useful utility player for a lower Premier League or decent Championship team but I'm not sure why he's suddenly a realistic back up right back for us.
One more to hopefully bring him along so we can sell him for more, hopefully. Also in the interest in aiding his development as a footballer for the rest of his career, as it's stagnated somewhat over the past few years.

In Rainbows

I just dont understand why he is a fullback though - surely if you asked TFM what his natural position is it wont be replied to be a fullback?

I'd have liked to see him as a CB or CDM - if he doesnt get to play there and improve his ability; I dont see any improvement on him as a player or a fullback.
Well he did play as a fullback for Dutch/Ajax as well as with United (along with CB and CM). However, I never thought his ability was catered for fb. You could get away with that at youth level, but clearly modern fullbacks have more pressure to provide in attacking positions. Destroyer makes the most sense to me or CB, but we're long past that now. It's hard to get chances in those positions initially and all his experience is more so at RB.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Rember when some people argued that he should be our long term defensive or was it box to box midfielder? Good times.

I still like him though, and think there is a player there somehwere.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Agree. For all of LVG’s flaws, a small group of ‘his’ young players would probably have had different development had he stayed another year. TFM, CBJ and Varela all looked promising under him.

Anyway, I doubt that he’ll ever get back to the trajectory he was on. He got a PL loan at just 18 and was a first choice in that loan too. But the injury and a terrible loan at Fulham have finished him I think, and I doubt he’ll last at this sort of level much longer.

ti vu

If you have time to try him as CB, CDM, then may as well give it to Mengi, Gardner, or even experiement with Wan Bissaka. We have Tuanzebe who looks better prospectwho can play very much across The back line and CDM like under Mourinho but unfortunate with injury too. It's not like TFM was any better with injury lately.

Very weak in the air, and rash with his decision making. He didn't show anything close to young Phil Jones potential. People loathe Phil Jones nowadays as deadwood, so I don't see why it's good to continue with TFM when we have other players who can benefit from these game time.

lex talionis

I could only watch the first half today, but what I've seen so far from TFM through the end of the first half is actually pretty impressive stuff. I'm not sure what the long term answer is for him, whether he embraces a specialty role or becomes an all-rounder defender/midfielder, but he's definitely worth developing him for the next 2 years.

Drainy

He is just a body. Average defensively and poor on the ball.

Disappointing to see him being preferred over more promising players in his position.

Kostov

He had an okey game in a chaotic surrounding with 2 DMFs that don’t have an ounce of composure between them. He is no RB though, he can be more useful as a CB imo.

SAFMUTD

He's the Daniel James of right backs, fast and strong but not much besides that.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’d say he’ll be heading back to the Dutch league at some stage soon. I doubt any PL club would take him on as anything more than backup at this stage but one of the Dutch clubs who get into Europe might still be able to revive his career. He needs to decide soon though. He’s never going to make it as a full back at United.

led_scholes

Agree. For all of LVG’s flaws, a small group of ‘his’ young players would probably have had different development had he stayed another year. TFM, CBJ and Varela all looked promising under him.

Anyway, I doubt that he’ll ever get back to the trajectory he was on. He got a PL loan at just 18 and was a first choice in that loan too. But the injury and a terrible loan at Fulham have finished him I think, and I doubt he’ll last at this sort of level much longer.
He had stopped playing Varela after his awful display against Coutinho. I think CBJ had already a reduced role too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He had stopped playing Varela after his awful display against Coutinho. I think CBJ had already a reduced role too.
I’m aware. But he’d played well under him and I struggle to think that would have simply been the end of him (and CBJ) had he stayed.

Mourinho came in and played him (Varela) in central midfield all pre-season (in which he impressed) and then loaned him to Germany and that was that.

Andersonson

I dont understand the posters who wants him tried as a defensive midfielder. Its the most advanced position to play in terms of positions and reading the game. And thats one of his major flaws...

He simply doesnt have the qualities to play for us - and should be moved on if we get the chance

Craig Ward

If you have time to try him as CB, CDM, then may as well give it to Mengi, Gardner, or even experiement with Wan Bissaka. We have Tuanzebe who looks better prospectwho can play very much across The back line and CDM like under Mourinho but unfortunate with injury too. It's not like TFM was any better with injury lately.

Very weak in the air, and rash with his decision making. He didn't show anything close to young Phil Jones potential. People loathe Phil Jones nowadays as deadwood, so I don't see why it's good to continue with TFM when we have other players who can benefit from these game time.
You dont think its worth playing a 22 year old who is desperate for game time in a game we are already 5-0 in a position he has played previously in case in 9 years he might be as rubbish as Phil Jones is now?

Get a grip.

This was the perfect game to give fringe players some game time.

TFM is a strange case, he's had a bad injury which can take time to recover from and he's had 2 bad loans and been under a host of managers all with different styles/philosophies.

He's fit and clearly making an impression behind the scenes. He's versatile and done well lately. He wasnt bad against LASK and is currently giving us an option.

His position is a strange one, being versatile isnt always the best thing. He does ok at FB, but i think he's more of a CB, maybe a DM. DM is a hard one though and i can see why Ole hasnt tried him there with McTom and Fred proving to be the back ups for Pogba/Matic.

He's worth keeping and developing. We have at least 8 players i'd rather sell before him

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I thought he was quite good in the first half, one of our better players. He seemed to completely disappear at half time though as I really don't remember him doing anything in the second half (obviously I know he was subbed part way through).

tomaldinho1

Why write off a 22 year old? I actually think rather than a loan, have him train with the first team and really bed into our tactics. It's infuriating on this forum that so many people's reaction is essentially to sell everyone if they're not up to first team standard. TFM, James, Pereira, Axel have all had injury issues or just aren't that amazing but you need those players in squads. TFM is great because he's likely on miniscule wages and can cover a few positions if we have injury problems. personally I think he could develop into a decent backup CB & utility RB.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Why write off a 22 year old? I actually think rather than a loan, have him train with the first team and really bed into our tactics. It's infuriating on this forum that so many people's reaction is essentially to sell everyone if they're not up to first team standard. TFM, James, Pereira, Axel have all had injury issues or just aren't that amazing but you need those players in squads. TFM is great because he's likely on miniscule wages and can cover a few positions if we have injury problems. personally I think he could develop into a decent backup CB & utility RB.
Yes, was thinking something similar. So many posters just want to get rid NOW, no thought for development, squad depth etc. Romero, De Gea, Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Bailly, Lindelof, TFM, Matic, McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Lingard, Pereira, James, Mata, Chong. All these have been touted as no longer needed, surplus to requirements, rubbish, useless, crap and all other words you could use. Most of those players will still be here next season, the only ones who appear to be on the way are Jones and Rojo. If people think that players who are 22, even 23, 24, 25, cannot be coached/developed, then they are sadly mistaken. Why is it that players are said to peak at around 27/28, that's when they are at the top of their physical, mental and experience powers. I like TFM, always thought he could be a great DM, but although defensively he is very good, his passing and general awareness are sadly lacking. Will almost certainly be here next season, and would be a cover for any of the back four positions, but after that I'm not sure, with possibly Tuanzebe, Mengi and Laird becoming more integrated into the first team set up, his chances may dwindle. Would have to improve significantly to get an extension to his contract, but let's see what he can do.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

I dont understand the posters who wants him tried as a defensive midfielder. Its the most advanced position to play in terms of positions and reading the game. And thats one of his major flaws...

He simply doesnt have the qualities to play for us - and should be moved on if we get the chance
Plus the need to be a good passer and deal with a lot of pressure.

Maybe he can be a sort of utility player if he continues to develop. Most likely sold though.

Chairman Steve

We always seem to have one player who a certain section of fans will come out and say “Let’s play him! I think he’ll turn out to be good!” even after injuries, uninspired loan spells or just straight up not played.

It’s currently TFM after he took that title from James Wilson.

tomaldinho1

Yes, was thinking something similar. So many posters just want to get rid NOW, no thought for development, squad depth etc. Romero, De Gea, Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Bailly, Lindelof, TFM, Matic, McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Lingard, Pereira, James, Mata, Chong. All these have been touted as no longer needed, surplus to requirements, rubbish, useless, crap and all other words you could use. Most of those players will still be here next season, the only ones who appear to be on the way are Jones and Rojo. If people think that players who are 22, even 23, 24, 25, cannot be coached/developed, then they are sadly mistaken. Why is it that players are said to peak at around 27/28, that's when they are at the top of their physical, mental and experience powers.
Exactly.

Jones, Rojo, Mata for me are ones who we should be actively looking to sell. Age/unreliability making them have some resale value but no real value to the squad. Otherwise, we should be allowing the younger guys time to develop and thrive - they're not starting or being relied on for first team roles, if they want to move or we don't think they'll ultimately be good enough the club will move them on.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Like the majority of our back up options,Mensah is just a body. Someone who can come in and play at a ok-ish,competitive level but would likely be found wanting against teams in the top 10.

If he had any ambition,he'd leave/look elsewhere. He's not going to oust out AWB in the first 11 anytime soon.

ti vu

You dont think its worth playing a 22 year old who is desperate for game time in a game we are already 5-0 in a position he has played previously in case in 9 years he might be as rubbish as Phil Jones is now?

Get a grip.

This was the perfect game to give fringe players some game time.

TFM is a strange case, he's had a bad injury which can take time to recover from and he's had 2 bad loans and been under a host of managers all with different styles/philosophies.

He's fit and clearly making an impression behind the scenes. He's versatile and done well lately. He wasnt bad against LASK and is currently giving us an option.

His position is a strange one, being versatile isnt always the best thing. He does ok at FB, but i think he's more of a CB, maybe a DM. DM is a hard one though and i can see why Ole hasnt tried him there with McTom and Fred proving to be the back ups for Pogba/Matic.

He's worth keeping and developing. We have at least 8 players i'd rather sell before him
He was never as good as young Phil Jones in the first place. It's past the point of trying to give this player gametime there are players that is more desperate for that game time. As it is beside fitness wise, he is worse than Phil Jones now, too. It's not our responsibility for us to have to give him gametime. Not even the like of Crystal Palace or Fulham did, when they found out he was out of depth.

It's funny for people still clinging to this notion of we need to try him at other position, as if it does wonder with the like of Pereira. In the end just need to sign a player like Bruno. Problem solved.

If someone need to get a grip, definitely not me.

Rember when some people argued that he should be our long term defensive or was it box to box midfielder? Good times.

I still like him though, and think there is a player there somehwere.
People still cling to that midfielder argument even now...

dev1l

Considering the last couple of games he played were his first competitive games in ages, I don't think he was that bad.
Before making any judgement I prefer to see if he can improve in the next few months.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Don't rate him but I thought he did quite well yesterday. Still don't think he's a full back mind.

Craig Ward

He was never as good as young Phil Jones in the first place. It's past the point of trying to give this player gametime there are players that is more desperate for that game time. As it is beside fitness wise, he is worse than Phil Jones now, too. It's not our responsibility for us to have to give him gametime. Not even the like of Crystal Palace or Fulham did, when they found out he was out of depth.

It's funny for people still clinging to this notion of we need to try him at other position, as if it does wonder with the like of Pereira. In the end just need to sign a player like Bruno. Problem solved.

If someone need to get a grip, definitely not me.

People still cling to that midfielder argument even now...
Who would have been better suited for gametime?

The notion of playing a player in a position he may be better in rather than somewhere he "can do a job"?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Exactly.

Jones, Rojo, Mata for me are ones who we should be actively looking to sell. Age/unreliability making them have some resale value but no real value to the squad. Otherwise, we should be allowing the younger guys time to develop and thrive - they're not starting or being relied on for first team roles, if they want to move or we don't think they'll ultimately be good enough the club will move them on.
Spot on. If Tim doesn't improve then I'm pretty sure he move on next summer. I missed Diogo Dalot from my list, think he may go now if a decent offer comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.