Title Race 22/23

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
If we are the .5 , which half of the horse are we? The legs or the remainder?
You should never slice a horse horizontally, it's a mess. Choose between the head or the arse.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Stick a fork in this one. They’ve got the title in the bag.
If you listen to their fans though, they're still thinking of how they can bottle top 4 :p
Its like they're still in disbelief they're where they are at this stage of the season

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Top 4 secured I'd say. Mathematically can't get relegated either. Good season.
18 more points needed to be absolutely sure of top four though. Finished on 75 twice, just to miss out on gd.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not backing Arsenal, but it's interesting how those that are quick to accuse of bottling stuff say absolutely nothing about the constitution shown in taking losses and bumps in the road and using them as springboards to streak resets.

Whether they win the league or not, they've shown that they are serious contenders with the way they constantly bounce back after defeats.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Not backing Arsenal, but it's interesting how those that are quick to accuse of bottling stuff say absolutely nothing about the constitution shown in taking losses and bumps in the road and using them as springboards to streak resets.

Whether they win the league or not, they've shown that they are serious contenders with the way they constantly bounce back after defeats.
I don't get every point dropped as being labelled as bottling either. Forget all the other factors that go into winning a football game, its not as fun as rival fans being able a rival team as bottlers.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Have to hand it to Arsenal, they have bounced back superbly after the mini wobble against everton, brentford and city. Sure they got a bit of luck against Villa but they kept pushing. I think they'll do it this season, I can see them getting a draw away to City and that will be it.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I don't get every point dropped as being labelled as bottling either. Forget all the other factors that go into winning a football game, its not as fun as rival fans being able a rival team as bottlers.
Bottling is one of these annoying labels thrown at every team as soon as they don't win something.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
They're only five points ahead of City and still have to go to the Etihad. Arsenal are favourites for the title now but it isn't over yet.
By the time they play each other, Arsenal could be more than 5 points ahead given that City may have games postponed as a result of the FA Cup. I think if they win all their games up to Leeds at home, I really can't see them losing from there; but stranger things have happened in this league.

MUFC OK

We will be 14 pts behind before we play Liverpool - due to their 3 games since we faced Leicester.

No way we have even a small chance from here. 14 pts, even with 2 in hand is too much.

cyberman

We will be 14 pts behind before we play Liverpool - due to their 3 games since we faced Leicester.

No way we have even a small chance from here. 14 pts, even with 2 in hand is too much.
I never got this. Say Arsenal never played these extra games. There’s no way it would lessen our need to win our games anyway. What difference does it make?
Only way we win the league is if we win all but 1/2 games at this rate. Arsenal have a tough run in while ours is a lot easier, we need a run before then to capitalise on the toughness of their fixtures multiplied by the pressure they’d be under.
It’s weirdly in our hands, literally win every game and we’re champions

Keanes Magic Hat

Don't agree, I think it's unlikely we will win obviously but if we can stay 8 points or less behind with 9 games to go adjusting for games in hand we have a decent chance looking at their fixtures

Olecurls99

They'll finish on 85-87 points

We can drop 4-6 points for the rest of the season. Not likely

Havak

Pokemon master
It'll be something amazing if we managed to win the title, but the kind of run we'd have to go on is just too much.

I don't see Arsenal not getting 85~ points. They have 13 games left and could get that 85+ points (which I really think wins the league this season) with a record of 8W 2D 3L even... (86 points). I know it's different when it's the run in, there's more pressure, it's a younger side... They might have more mid-week games with Europa that that haven't had to consider for a few months etc. But it's still asking them to drop points in 5-6 games out of 13 IMO, when they only dropped points in 6 out of the previous 25.

City might remain inconsistent, but no one will be surprised if they go on a run of 10 wins and beat Arsenal in that run either. We could pip them to second if we stay in this form and they don't.

We probably need a minimum 12 wins from our 14 remaining matches to have a sniff, to get us in contention for that 85-86 mark. I'm probably still somewhat pessimistic due to previous seasons even though I fully believe in EtH and these players. I'm still looking over our shoulders if we lose to Liverpool. It's still on a knife edge to me...

We can't afford injury to quite a few of our first XI as the drop off is so massive as seen against West Ham.

We will likely rue the late goals conceded to Palace and Arsenal in particular if we finish 2nd/3rd within a couple of results, but hopefully that makes us focus more and have a real go at it next season.

Last edited:

sugar_kane

I think on balance I'd rather the cheating blue bastards win it this season because 1. nobody cares if they win it 2. it's even more meaningless now because they're proven cheating bastards 3. I'd rather United break the Liverpool/City/Chelsea deadlock on the league of the last decade than Arsenal, especially because the cnuts have done it in the right way (backing the manager, playing nice football, young team) 4. Arteta is a goober

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
no point looking too far ahead , if you don’t win on Sunday then it’s over .

croadyman

It'll be something amazing if we managed to win the title, but the kind of run we'd have to go on is just too much.

I don't see Arsenal not getting 85~ points. They have 13 games left and could get that 85+ points (which I really think wins the league this season) with a record of 8W 2D 3L even... (86 points). I know it's different when it's the run in, there's more pressure, it's a younger side... They might have more mid-week games with Europa that that haven't had to consider for a few months etc. But it's still asking them to drop points in 5-6 games out of 13 IMO, when they only dropped points in 6 out of the previous 25.

City might remain inconsistent, but no one will be surprised if they go on a run of 10 wins and beat Arsenal in that run either. We could pip them to second if we stay in this form and they don't.

We probably need a minimum 12 wins from our 14 remaining matches to have a sniff, to get us in contention for that 85-86 mark. I'm probably still somewhat pessimistic due to previous seasons even though I fully believe in EtH and these players. I'm still looking over our shoulders if we lose to Liverpool. It's still on a knife edge to me...

We can't afford injury to quite a few of our first XI as the drop off is so massive as seen against West Ham.

We will likely rue the late goals conceded to Palace and Arsenal in particular if we finish 2nd/3rd within a couple of results, but hopefully that makes us focus more and have a real go at it next season.
The trouble with that Palace game is our heads were in the shed in that last few mins knowing Casa missed Arsenal game. Annoyingly the poor bloke very nearly win it for us with virtually last kick of the game.

Yes Arsenal defeat was gut wrenching but unfortunately it was coming due to the constant pressure we were under in that second half.

Will admit though like many it's hard not to think what might have been at Emirates IF Casa had just survived Palace without booking

croadyman

I think on balance I'd rather the cheating blue bastards win it this season because 1. nobody cares if they win it 2. it's even more meaningless now because they're proven cheating bastards 3. I'd rather United break the Liverpool/City/Chelsea deadlock on the league of the last decade than Arsenal, especially because the cnuts have done it in the right way (backing the manager, playing nice football, young team) 4. Arteta is a goober
Yeah I wanted us to be team that broke it too

Havak

Pokemon master
As much as I feel the same, it would be City getting three in a row in the record books regardless. Don't want that. Only we can have that.

Guy Incognito

It's between Arsenal and City.

You wouldn't have expected both sides to drop points today. Psychologically that must've felt like a big moment for Arsenal though, to come from two behind to win.

AshRK

That is 3rd 90th min Winner this year for them. It is their season and if they bottle from here surely major questions have to be asked.

croadyman

It's between Arsenal and City.

You wouldn't have expected both sides to drop points today. Psychologically that must've felt like a big moment for Arsenal though, to come from two behind to win.
Yeah did what we couldn't against Leeds

El Zoido

Arsenal will win it, this is extremely reminiscent of Leicester’s title winning season. Just a perfect storm of them being really good, but also having absolutely everything go their way.

cyberman

Arsenal are creaking and it’s a long way until the end
City will take heart form that

YikesSchmeics

That is 3rd 90th min Winner this year for them. It is their season and if they bottle from here surely major questions have to be asked.
That and the Villa one hitting the bar then in off Martinez head. Just insane luck. Their name is on the trophy.

RuudTom83

Arsenal fans are having an absolute rollercoaster ride this season…they seem to always be seconds away from coming off the tracks…but then manage to somehow keep going.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal fans are having an absolute rollercoaster ride this season…they seem to always be seconds away from coming off the tracks…but then manage to somehow keep going.
Tell me about it, I'm too old for this.

dove

Luck is in their favour it seems. However let's see how they handle midweek games. Still only 5 points, a trip to Etihad waiting and they have a worse GD.

Convinced now the officials will do whatever they need to to keep them going. Call the 50/50s their way, make sure they keep the momentum when they're attacking, give whatever injury time is needed to score. It's all being setup for the revival story.

rajds89

We’re out of the race by virtue that we don’t get anywhere near the amount of bullshit decisions in our favour from the officials as the other two do.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Convinced now the officials will do whatever they need to to keep them going. Call the 50/50s their way, make sure they keep the momentum when they're attacking, give whatever injury time is needed to score. It's all being setup for the revival story.
If that's what they wanted to do they could've made it much easier for my heart if they had kindly given one of the 10 handball calls against us.

If that's what they wanted to do they could've made it much easier for my heart if they had kindly given one of the 10 handball calls against us.
You've had about 5 questionable VAR calls in recent games go your way