Title race : January fixtures (from GK 17 to GW21)

Fixtures + points

Member 90887

I know some of you don't want to talk about a title race at this point, but this is the first time since Sir Alex that we've been in a position to challenge for the title by christmas and it's nice to see some positivity around here for a change.

Liverpool will probably win it again this year. Most people think that city is their closest challenger. So i am comparing their january fixtures against ours and giving a preview of what's next for us, Liverpool and City.

These are the january fixtures, this will get us to GW21 so past half the season. At this point and assuming we win our game in hand against Burnley (which we should), we have the same number of point as Liverpool. I think that if we can finish January 3 points at most behind Liverpool, we would definitly be challenging them for the tile at that point.

GameweekManchester United - 41 pointsLiverpool - 37 pointsCity - 44 points
Games in hand ?​
Burnley (A) - 12/01/2021
0-1
1 game in hand: Everton (A)
GW17​
Aston Villa (Home)
2-1
Southampton (Away)
1-0
Chelsea (Away)
1-3
GW18​
Liverpool (Away)
0-0​
Manchester United (Home)
0-0​
Brighton (Home) 1-0
GW19​
Fulham
1-2
Burnley (Home)
0-1
Crystal Palace (Home)
4-0
GW20​
Sheffield Utd (Home)
1-2
Spurs (Away)
1-3
West Brom (Away)
0-5
GW21​
Arsenal (Away)
0-0​
West Ham (Away)​
Sheffield Utd (Home)
0-1

Last edited by a moderator:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
City got some walkover teams, hope Chelsea do em

Traub

Looks like city have the easiest run. I can see them winning all their games up to end of Jan. both us and Pool have a few tough games (I consider Arsenal a tough one considering how we’ve already lost to them this season).

Member 90887

Looks like city have the easiest run. I can see them winning all their games up to end of Jan. both us and Pool have a few tough games (I consider Arsenal a tough one considering how we’ve already lost to them this season).
Yeah, as i see it, Villa, Fulham and Sheffield are must wins. After that, if we get at least a point from the Liverpool game, we can afford a draw against Arsenal, this will put us 2 points behind 1st if Liverpool win all their games which is not a given since they have 3 though away games.

City could well be top at the end of January. They'll certainly be close.

Suv666

No use comparing schedules because postponments due to Covid and the inevitable lockdown will piss all over it.

arnie_ni

Southampton could easily nick a win against Liverpool. Think they are well set up against them, they won't just allow roberston and TAA to bomb forward all day

saivet

If we're just looking at points, it's worth having Leicester, Everton, Villa and Spurs in the discussion. Spurs who are 7th are 7 points off from Liverpool with a game in hand vs Fulham.

I don't really think any of these teams will win the title but they are close enough at the moment.

Jaae

Not ITK
I'm going to wait and see where we are at the end of January before thinking about a title race. Far too many teams within touching distance of eachother at the top. A lot could change in only two games

sillwuka

Beat Villa, hope the Saints pick up a point and we move onto Burnley.

Glad this game got rescheduled before the Liverpool game.

Member 90887

4 days before Liverpool who will have a week rest right?

Pro and con for this but thankfully fa Cup before it so we can make mass changes
Actually, we asked for it to be played between Watford and Liverpool.

We'll probably rest players for the Fa Cup game.

One of the pros is obviously that we can go to the Liverpool game top of the table. This will increase our confidence.

matt23

I think it's going to be a stumble across the line year. There's no rhythm in anyone's play its basically just who creates the most luck at this point.

Once the European games start again I think there will be a good few drops points against some of the more fresh legged teams that just want to block for 90 mins.

Sylar

Actually, we asked for it to be played between Watford and Liverpool.

We'll probably rest players for the Fa Cup game.

One of the pros is obviously that we can go to the Liverpool game top of the table. This will increase our confidence.
Yep, it will be interesting either way. Our squad is good enough to make changes for the Burnley game and still rest top players. Guessing ddg Maguire awb Bruno Rashford play both games. Then the rest rotated swapped

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know some of you don't want to talk about a title race at this point, but this is the first time since Sir Alex that we've been in a position to challenge for the title by christmas and it's nice to see some positivity around here for a change.

Liverpool will probably win it again this year. Most people think that city is their closest challenger. So i am comparing their january fixtures against ours and giving a preview of what's next for us, Liverpool and City.

These are the january fixtures, this will get us to GW21 so past half the season. At this point and assuming we win our game in hand against Burnley (which we should), we have the same number of point as Liverpool. I think that if we can finish January 3 points at most behind Liverpool, we would definitly be challenging them for the tile at that point.

GameweekManchester United - 30 pointsLiverpool - 33 pointsCity - 26 points
Games in hand ?​
1 game in hand : Burnley (A) - 12/01/2021​
2 games in hand: Everton (A) and Villa (H)
GW17​
Aston Villa (Home)​
Southampton (Away)​
Chelsea (Away)​
GW18​
Liverpool (Away)​
Manchester United (Home)​
Brighton (Home)​
GW19​
Fulham (Away)​
Burnley (Home)​
Crystal Palace (Home)​
GW20​
Sheffield Utd (Home)​
Spurs (Away)​
West Brom (Away)​
GW21​
Arsenal (Away)​
West Ham (Away)​
Sheffield Utd (Home)​
That City run could barely be better picked could it!
A great chance for them to get into some serious form.

Although they've had Villa slotted into week 19 as well which is a bit harder.

Sylar

I can see:
city getting 17/21
Liverpool 11/15.
United 14/18

Cloud7

Draws really are an awful result aren’t they? Looking at the table the whole reason Pool have been dragged back into the battle is because of all those draws. It really is two points lost rather than one point gained.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
City are really not that far behind at the moment. If they can find some form, they'd be tough to catch while Liverpool seem to be flagging.

cyberman

City are really not that far behind at the moment. If they can find some form, they'd be tough to catch while Liverpool seem to be flagging.
Its not form, they dont have a striker anymore. They need their defence to be God like to get through a long set of fixtures. As soon as their defence loosens up, theyre done for.

Member 90887

3 points from the first game for us, now we have the same number of points as Liverpool. We are playing well and there is no reason why we shouldn't challenge them.

Our game against them is really going to set the tone for the rest of the season.

Member 90887

A tough month for us. We will know our level after that.
Yeah. It starts well with the win against Villa. We'll probably win against Burnley as well and Sheffield.

Arsenal is a potential trick fixture and of course, Liverpool is a good test for our title challenger credentials.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
City have it all to prove in terms of getting their act together in front of goal. Aguero is their only fit striker right now and he isn't even fit 100%

If we can get at least a point at Anfield then I'll have more confidence about our chances

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We're in the race, but I do think we'll fall off. We have too much to learn still to actually win the title this year. Next year is when I think we'll have a genuine shot, especially if we give it a good push this year.

Toad

Really puts into perspective how freakish Liverpool’s season was last time round. At this point they would have to win every single one of their remaining 22 fixtures, concede only 0.6 gpg and score 2.2 gpg to level that achievement.

At the other end of the table, Villa already have 74% of their points total for last season. 3 wins away with 23 games remaining.

Really does show that anybody is capable of winning in this league and I wouldn’t be surprised if their was more company at the top.

Betson

We're in the race, but I do think we'll fall off. We have too much to learn still to actually win the title this year. Next year is when I think we'll have a genuine shot, especially if we give it a good push this year.
Don't think we will win it but we will never have a better chance than this season , Liverpool and City will never be as vulnerable again.

The players need to treat this as their one and only chance , we have done far too much of 'Next Season is our year' at this club over the last few years, it is about time we seized the day and made it happen this season.

el3mel

Avoid a loss to Liverpool at all costs. Winning is of course superb but just not losing it is a must to keep the momentum going on. Don't repeat Spurs mistake there please. Get in their faces and don't give them a chance to dominate possession or invite pressure on us. Be competitive and make the game even, win or draw it doesn't matter as long as they don't defeat us.

SER19

Far too early to be comparing I think but in any case we should be hoping Chelsea beat city as they'll definitely get max points after that

rooney2009

No easy games in the premiership
Liverpool dropped points against West Brom and Newcastle so how can you predict
There are going to be a lot of strange results going forward
Let’s just take 1 game at a time and enjoy the ride

lysglimt

Scout
Far too early to be comparing I think but in any case we should be hoping Chelsea beat city as they'll definitely get max points after that
Nah - hoping for a draw. I want to have a huge gap on Chelsea. But I dont mind a few reds and some injuries to City's players

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Great result tonight. I hope we can keep it up and hope liverpool keep on dropping points.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We couldn’t lose back to back games and not even be in the top 4. Stupid to say we’re in the title race at this stage. Game by game.

Denis' cuff

We couldn’t lose back to back games and not even be in the top 4. Stupid to say we’re in the title race at this stage. Game by game.
of course we are in a title race. Early days but we are right in it. Maybe Fergie didn’t have a clue what he was talking about and should see a doctor.

mitchmouse said:
if you really think United are challenging for the title, I suggest finding a doctor :wenger::lol:

:D

Gasolin

I think the Christmas season this season is more a mid-Dec type of GW for a normal season. So you're right, GW 21 would give us an idea of who's best suited to win the league.
Let's hope we can get some real momentum going on.

I do think City will be strong, but their games in hands are not that easy.

I really hope Liverpool vs Southampton will be a high pressing game where they will collapse a bit.
@Mr H it would be fantastic if you could keep updating that table to see the situation in 5 weeks.

VanGaalEra

Yeah I didn’t realise they had such a soft run after this.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Besides the Liverpoool game, who obviously is very hard, the rest should be quite winnable. Us beating Arsenal is long overdue now

The scousers have quite a few banana skins there, us, Soton, WHU and Spurs are all potential dropped points for them