Title race : January fixtures (from GK 17 to GW21)

Drifter

American
Great place to be after the hectic Christmas period. But not getting carried away.

Member 90887

Avoid a loss to Liverpool at all costs. Winning is of course superb but just not losing it is a must to keep the momentum going on. Don't repeat Spurs mistake there please. Get in their faces and don't give them a chance to dominate possession or invite pressure on us. Be competitive and make the game even, win or draw it doesn't matter as long as they don't defeat us.
Exactly. The game against Liverpool is really going to either give us the confidence to think that we are capable to challenge them or burst this buble we are in right now. That's the one not to lose.

slored1

We must not lose at Anfield. I'd be super happy with a draw there.

Leonzo1

We won't win it this year, but I think we will come much closer then before. Reckon we will be around 7-8 points short in the end. Brilliant to see the title challenging United back! Next season we have to push for it from day one, Reckon we'll lift it come May 2022. The squad is looking superb, fantastic Character, very entertaining to watch!

Member 90887

Hopefully, the Liverpool game will be our game against Arsenal in the 2004/2005 season. Let's stop their unbeaten run.

wolvored

The way we struggled to beat Wanderers and Villa shows there are no easy games. Saying that I also think Liverpool could struggle against Southampton Spurs and West Ham. City with Chelsea, but they should win the rest (on paper). For us Liverpool is really important and a draw would be a really good result. Arsenal is a funny one, as they have hit a bit of form. If we are still within 3 points of the top after these games we will have done well.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This is the one we must not lose to really stay in a title race.

Member 90887

A loss at Anfield is not the end of the world. Let's be honest, they're still a great team.
They are of course. But it would certainy put us back on the map and as a serious title contender. It'll define make or break our confidence and confidence is a major reason in why teams win titles. Just look at our run after the covid break last year.

So while not the end of the world, it definitly can launch us towards better things.

Wilt

For any team to win the Prem they have to beat the main opposition, namely the ‘Big Six’.

So far this season Utd have failed to beat Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and City. Just 2 points from a possible 12.

I think It would be virtually impossible to win the Prem without beating the main contenders, wins against City and Liverpool are a must. Utd can’t keep relying on beating the smaller clubs in the hope the others slip up against them. Lose to Liverpool and I reckon it’s game over.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
For any team to win the Prem they have to beat the main opposition, namely the ‘Big Six’.

So far this season Utd have failed to beat Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and City. Just 2 points from a possible 12.

I think It would be virtually impossible to win the Prem without beating the main contenders, wins against City and Liverpool are a must. Utd can’t keep relying on beating the smaller clubs in the hope the others slip up against them. Lose to Liverpool and I reckon it’s game over.
No. Thats not the case at all. What we face with the Liverpool game is IMO a free hit. Win it and we put down a serious marker. A draw, pretty much the same. Even a defeat wouldn't hurt us significantly as long as we can put another run together straight afterwards. Wins vs Burnley, Fulham & Sheff Utd would repair any of that damage.

PoTMS

Finishing above this Liverpool and City side is going to be very difficult. We need some investment to carry on this ridiculous run of form we've been in since the beginning of last year in the league. Another Bruno type signing in defence/defensive midfield.

Hughie77

See where we are in Feb, when Europa league starts, if where still in with a very good chance of the league, I'd play a rotational side in that competition, as Thursday and Sunday Matches are a pain. I for one would rather go all out for the league if it's on.

Yagami

Good post resistant
No. Thats not the case at all. What we face with the Liverpool game is IMO a free hit. Win it and we put down a serious marker. A draw, pretty much the same. Even a defeat wouldn't hurt us significantly as long as we can put another run together straight afterwards. Wins vs Burnley, Fulham & Sheff Utd would repair any of that damage.
A win vs a big opponent (especially away) can really propel you, though. Not just in terms of league position but mentally speaking. It can add so much belief and drive alongside putting a damper on said oppositions mentality.

When I look back at out last title winning season, the away victories at City and Chelsea - both early on in the season - really helped separate us from the pack and was a major part in why we won. Especially when you look at how poor our form was at the end of the season.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
A win vs a big opponent (especially away) can really propel you, though. Not just in terms of league position but mentally speaking. It can add so much belief and drive alongside putting a damper on said oppositions mentality.

When I look back at out last title winning season, the away victories at City and Chelsea - both early on in the season - really helped separate us from the pack and was a major part in why we won. Especially when you look at how poor our form was at the end of the season.
I agree completely. A win would be HUGE. A defeat wouldn't be the end of the world though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I agree completely. A win would be HUGE. A defeat wouldn't be the end of the world though.
You're right, but here's hoping we make it a perfect start to a new year!

united for life

City got some walkover teams, hope Chelsea do em
unfortunately, it happened the other way around. January will be the month where City will get back to a serious title contender.

we have a couple of tough ones. Aside from Liverpool, Arsenal seems to be finding form, so that won’t be easy for sure. I hope we don’t drop points against small teams.

Liverpool have us and Spurs. Spurs seem really inconsistent now. But still, a tough fixture.

what we need to do is keep calm and approach every game focused

Redlyn

That is just so wrong. We've lost a title while being 8 pts clear in March and you think with half the season to play a couple of pts behind and it's game over? Not having it. They lose/draw the next match while we win it's already made up.

Wilt

That is just so wrong. We've lost a title while being 8 pts clear in March and you think with half the season to play a couple of pts behind and it's game over? Not having it. They lose/draw the next match while we win it's already made up.
The odds of winning the prem despite drawing or losing to the obvious contenders must be massive.

Redlyn

The odds of winning the prem despite drawing or losing to the obvious contenders must be massive.
You need to look to take pts off your rivals, it's a six pointer afterall. But we are still in the first half of the season few pts off the top so its way too early to conclude anything one way or the other.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Avoid a loss to Liverpool at all costs. Winning is of course superb but just not losing it is a must to keep the momentum going on. Don't repeat Spurs mistake there please. Get in their faces and don't give them a chance to dominate possession or invite pressure on us. Be competitive and make the game even, win or draw it doesn't matter as long as they don't defeat us.
What was Tottenham's mistake there exactly? They played well.

They missed a few chances and conceded right at the end. Bit harsh to call those mistakes I think.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's only three points yes.
But the psychological benefit is huge.

Redlyn

Of course. But what I am saying is that a draw or even a loss away at anfield in Jan (noting we are joint top right now) cannot be the end of a title race. The real reason would be that we are just not good enough and other results would show it.

Last edited:

Member 90887

Exactly, the momentum-swinging here would be huge. Suddenly, that Liverpool team would start doubting itself and we would believe in ourselves.

Quite frankly, we need that at the moment. This is a test of the team's title credential.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exactly, the momentum-swinging here would be huge. Suddenly, that Liverpool team would start doubting itself and we would believe in ourselves.

Quite frankly, we need that at the moment. This is a test of the team's title credential.
Without doubt.

If we can still be level with them on points after that game we'll really start to think things might be happening.

lysglimt

Scout
if Liverpool drop points today (which I doubt) and we beat Burnley - we can go into that game against Liverpool with no pressure - worst case we lose and are 1 point behind - and the next 7 fixtures are a lot worse for Liverpool than us. While Liverpool for the first time in a long time will be under pressure - then suddenly they cant afford to lose to us.

But we will see after Burnley what the status is

Danillaco

Southampton could easily nick a win against Liverpool. Think they are well set up against them, they won't just allow roberston and TAA to bomb forward all day
Agreed. They are very capable. Chelsea didn't even bothered City yesterday. Today could be a whole different story.

The_Midfielder

Liverpool are a consistent team.. we might be level in points with them but we have a long way to go talking about the title race . Let's take it a game at a time please

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Southampton are a perfect team for Liverpool, aren't they? Play a high line, take risks, leaves plenty of space in behind. They may cause them a few issues, but ultimately Liverpool are far too good upfront to not win this.

Member 90887

Now just win our game in hand, and we'll have a proper challenge!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
My heart sings whenever Liverpool drops points. May it long continue until they travel to Hull for a league fixture.

el3mel

For the first time in ages we have a chance to not just lead the table but also by a good margin of point then immediately facing the team chasing us.

The next two games will tell us a lot about our character and mentality. Defeat Burnley and avoid a loss at Anfield we'll show that we mean business and can win the league.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I'd be happy with a draw at Anfield to be honest provided that we Win against Burnley.
Knowing us (from previous spells of inconsistency), we'd lose to Burnley and beat Liverpool.

I hope I'm wrong.

eire-red

I suppose we'll see now what the squad is made of. With a chance like this we'll either win our next two and go 6 points clear, or we'll crumble at the chance of a genuine challenge.

Watching Liverpool tonight and if the play like that at the back against us then surely we should be looking to score a few.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Teams are improving especially top half on the table. Liverpool players are out of form and they are not as lucky as last year. I have seen a few games where they were lucky to win, what pundits will say "mark of a champion". Let's win our game in hand and beat them at Anfield. The champion will come back to Manchester which the blue or red? Actually, I don't really think Liverpool players are great accept for Mane and Salah. Klopp is like Alex, getting average players to plays beyond their usual ability or standard like what we had in the past.