Title race : January fixtures (from GK 17 to GW21)

Member 90887

I suppose we'll see now what the squad is made of. With a chance like this we'll either win our next two and go 6 points clear, or we'll crumble at the chance of a genuine challenge.

Watching Liverpool tonight and if the play like that at the back against us then surely we should be looking to score a few.
Hopefully Klopp doesn't play defensively against us, he usually sets up to nullify our strengths.

If he plays like today, we'll definitely score a few.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Liverpool defeat had alot of Facebook posting, it is exactly like what Ole got 2 months ago. Saying Klopp's time is up. Sell Salah and etc. What 35 yo Milner was as sub chasing a game. Talks about his pressing causing injuries to players and only 1 tactic with no plan B. Happy to see their negativity.

sparx99

I'd be happy with a draw at Anfield to be honest provided that we Win against Burnley.
If I could take that now then absolutely. It just feels like with their poor form and our confidence on the rise it’s a great time to play them.

Dominos

If I could take that now then absolutely. It just feels like with their poor form and our confidence on the rise it’s a great time to play them.
I always feel whenever a big team has lost a game there's much more of a "bounce back" effect, compared to when they've drawn. We also play 3 times between now and the Liverpool game, whereas Liverpool play once, so they'll potentially be well rested and more fresh. I've seen fans on here get way too overconfident going into the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, PSG and Leipzig games this season, and they'll get carried away heading into the Liverpool game too.

Having said that, we should go into the game 3 points clear if we do our job, so a draw is a good result and losing isn't the end of the world. And if they have to play Henderson-Fabinho CB partnership again against us I'd be very disappointed if we don't take advantage, the gaps in behind that defence were there tonight in the first half Southampton just didn't show the quality to punish them. Bruno feeding Rashford and Martial should give us some joy if we can stay in the game and not get overwhelmed by their fast start and pressing. I just hope none of their centre backs are back in time.

Member 90887

Just avoid a loss against Liverpool and we should stay top until at least the Arsenal game. City's games against Villa and Everton away aren't that easy, and they need to win both for them to be top in case our game against liverpool is a draw.

Cloud7

At this point I'd say I'm more worried about City than Liverpool. City look to be getting back to their best. We really can't afford to drop any silly points here and there. We need to be on top of our game, every game.

romufc

I don't think what other teams do should matter to us.

If we beat Liverpool, we just have to concentrate on the next game. We cannot look too far ahead.

Just win our games, no matter how we do it.

Withnail

At this point I'd say I'm more worried about City than Liverpool. City look to be getting back to their best. We really can't afford to drop any silly points here and there. We need to be on top of our game, every game.
Absolutely, they've found a bit of form lately, with KDB playing well and what looks like a solid partnership in Stones and Dias they are rightfully favourites for the title.

If they win their games in hand they are right in the mix, although their games in hand aren't gimmes by any means.

RUCK4444

It's cliche but we just need to focus on each game at a time. Forget anything else, just full focus and energy put into one game at a time.

Get a result at Anfield and the extra confidence and momentum would do us the world of good. The lads need to believe in themselves now and fire themselves up.

croadyman

Just avoid a loss against Liverpool and we should stay top until at least the Arsenal game. City's games against Villa and Everton away aren't that easy, and they need to win both for them to be top in case our game against liverpool is a draw.
I felt much more optimistic about Villa getting something against them next Weds until City's last few games, there is also the matter of how much has COVID took out of their first team players as well in the last week or so

The Urban Goose

I think we'll stay top until at least the end of Feb in that case. However we need a good run as our run-in is about as tough as it gets, we're going to drop a fair amount of points in April and May.

PoTMS

Are we allowed to be unbearable considering how unbearable Liverpool and (oddly) Arsenal fans have been over the last few years? I mean if we can't now while we're top of the table, then when can we? If we win against Liverpool, I'm dialing it up a level.

SER19

City's next few games look so easy wow
Fully expect max points from their next 18. Then they've a trio of tricky games. I think we need about 13 from next 18 to stay in touch.

That's
Liverpool a
Fulham a
Sheff utd h
Arsenal a
Southampton h
Everton h

Infra-red

I still think that City will win it, but it's fun to be involved at this stage for a change.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Anyone else think City might be getting overrated now slightly? I mean they still don't really have a striker and I don't see many of the issues they have had this season disappear. I.e they will likely still fail to score and kill off teams when they need to and that will cost them wins. I'd be surprised if they pick up maximum points from their next games even with them looking winnable because they are just as inconsistent as the other top teams. Their defence is what should give them hope but is John Stones really some almighty player all of a sudden? I think it's a little early to be crowning them as the most dangerous team.

Infra-red

Anyone else think City might be getting overrated now slightly? I mean they still don't really have a striker and I don't see many of the issues they have had this season disappear. I.e they will likely still fail to score and kill off teams when they need to and that will cost them wins. I'd be surprised if they pick up maximum points from their next games even with them looking winnable because they are just as inconsistent as the other top teams. Their defence is what should give them hope but is John Stones really some almighty player all of a sudden? I think it's a little early to be crowning them as the most dangerous team.
I've had them as favourites for the title since the season started and haven't seen much to change my mind. All the big clubs have problems this year, but City are the best of a bad bunch.

Alemar

Fully expect max points from their next 18.
We need to accept the fact if City gets 18/18, it would be very difficult for us to win the title. Our team building process is far from being complete, and we can win it only if the rivals will be losing at least some points here and there. If they get 13/18, it’s another story of course

SER19

We need to accept the fact if City gets 18/18, it would be very difficult for us to win the title. Our team building process is far from being complete, and we can win it only if the rivals will be losing at least some points here and there. If they get 13/18, it’s another story of course
I agree, I don't actually think we will win the title but the next step in progress is to be in a race at the later stages. I think City will win it quite comfortably in the end but hope we're there after 30 games or so and maybe add a trophy

TrustInJanuzaj

I've had them as favourites for the title since the season started and haven't seen much to change my mind. All the big clubs have problems this year, but City are the best of a bad bunch.
To be fair I also had them as favs in my top 4 predictions but having seen them I'm now not that convinced. I think it's clear they aren't the team they were a couple of seasons ago and I do think they will be limited without a recognised striker unless Aguero gets going again. I'm feeling more confident we could actually shock people.

JustinC00

Anyone else think City might be getting overrated now slightly?
I get that they are a title contender but I don't see how they are the clear favorite if we are basing it on league form. They've only gotten 2 points out of 12 against the top-5. Saying they are clear favorites you could make the same case that we are clear favorites because against the other top 6 clubs we have 5 points out of 12. They dropped points to West Brom. Finished 1-1 with Leeds which City only being able to score 1 against Leeds. Fulham scored 3 against Leeds.

TrustInJanuzaj

I get that they are a title contender but I don't see how they are the clear favorite if we are basing it on league form. They've only gotten 2 points out of 12 against the top-5. Saying they are clear favorites you could make the same case that we are clear favorites because against the other top 6 clubs we have 5 points out of 12. They dropped points to West Brom. Finished 1-1 with Leeds which City only being able to score 1 against Leeds. Fulham scored 3 against Leeds.
That's my exact feeling. City do have the same excuse/reason as us for our respective poor starts to the season as we both went deep in Europe and both sides have been playing catch up but I just don't get the sense this City team is anywhere near the beast they were a couple of seasons ago. I think its a narrative which is clearly based around a couple of decent performances (including the cup win over us) which has made a few people nervous.

el3mel

They have been picking up form recently, winning their last 3 league games and have a pretty easy fixture list coming on. Their toughest game in the next 6 will be Villa. They're definitely a title contender with us and Liverpool no matter how we look into it, more so than Spurs, Leicester, Chelsea and Everton that's for sure.

Terminator

Fully expect max points from their next 18. Then they've a trio of tricky games. I think we need about 13 from next 18 to stay in touch.

That's
Liverpool a
Fulham a
Sheff utd h
Arsenal a
Southampton h
Everton h
Yeah we need to be very good to be close with them.

Ladron de redcafe

That's
Liverpool a
Fulham a
Sheff utd h
Arsenal a
Southampton h
Everton h
Some really tough matches there. The next one is obviously the toughest and if we can somehow get a good result, the momentum might carry us through.

The Liverpool, Arsenal, and Everton matches are going to be difficult.

tomaldinho1

Agreed. All season their underlying stats have been really strong.

I would happily see us throw the EL tie to RS, or better yet just play the kids/bench players and let them take it as far as they can. This season more than ever is about fitness and squad depth. We could field a fully fit & rested team with probably the best bench in the league every week without the distractions of a minor European trophy.

croadyman

They have been picking up form recently, winning their last 3 league games and have a pretty easy fixture list coming on. Their toughest game in the next 6 will be Villa. They're definitely a title contender with us and Liverpool no matter how we look into it, more so than Spurs, Leicester, Chelsea and Everton that's for sure.
My only concern is will the Villa game still take place and how drained are they going to be from the COVID which has taken hold on the first team since the game with us on New Years Day

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
City are winning every game while making little noise & have a piss easy next few fixtures. With everyone talking about us & Liverpool I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if City take top spot within a couple of weeks.

Irwin99

People are absolutely entitled to get carried away but this is such a weird season I feel a bad run of form (similar to Chelsea's situation at the moment) or an injury crisis could see a team fall from the top 3 into 5th/6th place quite easily. I'm treating this very cautiously but there's definitely hope there.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
City are winning every game while making little noise & have a piss easy next few fixtures. With everyone talking about us & Liverpool I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if City take top spot within a couple of weeks.
If they win their game in hand they are one point behind us. A draw on Sunday and they are basically leading the pack.

Red Royal

People are absolutely entitled to get carried away but this is such a weird season I feel a bad run of form (similar to Chelsea's situation at the moment) or an injury crisis could see a team fall from the top 3 into 5th/6th place quite easily. I'm treating this very cautiously but there's definitely hope there.
This season may even come down to who/when get Covid, fixture postponents and perhaps 1 big January signing. Any of 4 or 5 teams could be in it till the end.

Hughie77

Let's just go one game at a time, we need to keep this run going away from home, at home where nowhere near our best bar Leeds. Home form picks up then if where still in it after 33 games , it's a big chance, like most City are the ones , got players who have gone the distance before. But I'm happy we are at least showing that team togetherness .