To Be a Machine

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I feel sorry for these people who die and think they can be revived at a later date.
This obsession with immortality is a bit disturbing, and I kind of get what you mean. On the other hand: Don't they die a bit more hopeful than others, perhaps similar to someone who sincerely believes in an afterlife? Is that necessarily a bad way to go? I'm undecided.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This obsession with immortality is a bit disturbing, and I kind of get what you mean. On the other hand: Don't they die a bit more hopeful than others, perhaps similar to someone who sincerely believes in an afterlife? Is that necessarily a bad way to go? I'm undecided.
I'm definitely in the 'immortality is creepy' camp. Death is simply a natural thing that happens to everyone and there's no escaping it.

Long Ball

Perhaps these "immortals" if achieved would actually end up going slowly insane? Would certainly be creepy and interesting seeing the psychological side effects.

What about the benefits to the military too of mechanised human soldiers?

Alas AI would probably get us first anyway

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is the point to die old and eventually comeback old? Do they also expect that we will be able to rejuvenate people?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I'm definitely in the 'immortality is creepy' camp. Death is simply a natural thing that happens to everyone and there's no escaping it.
So much I'm sure of too. But do you see an issue when it comes to emotionally dealing with the inevitability of getting completely eradicated? If one can simply be totally rational and indifferent about it, okay. (But I wouldn't want that either, actually.) The problem is that it's usually not that easy, even for most irreligious people.

hungrywing

When they say 'we', they mean the people who can afford it.

Also, cue SteveJ's next book, wherein everyone can technically become immortal and amongst the more depraved of the wealthy there arises a game in which they offer exorbitant sums to plebians to kill themselves to provide the entry fee for their progeny and the process is regarded as a noble and worthy charity.

$100 million and your kids will be set for life AKA can afford the procedure.

To be titled 11111000000 and available at any NeuraLink download outlet near you.

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-living_organisms#Revived_into_activity_after_stasis

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I don't mind to die young or old or in 500 years. But I want the option lo die. I am not against transhumanism. But the way I would not extend my "life", would be in my mind being stored in data, because then it could be copied and multiplied. And those feckers than they would have a different life than mind once copied, they would know everything about me, and frankly I am sure I would not be able to stand another self, I am pretty annoying when I antagonize, and I am sure I would. Also, the copies could be ad infinitum, so it would not be any guarantee that I would "die", maybe someone would "resurrect" me in 1000 years. and be mind slaved, etc...

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I don't mind to die young or old or in 500 years. But I want the option lo die. I am not against transhumanism. But the way I would not extend my "life", would be in my mind being stored in data, because then it could be copied and multiplied. And those feckers than they would have a different life than mind once copied, they would know everything about me, and frankly I am sure I would not be able to stand another self, I am pretty annoying when I antagonize, and I am sure I would. Also, the copies could be ad infinitum, so it would not be any guarantee that I would "die", maybe someone would "resurrect" me in 1000 years. and be mind slaved, etc...
You are data, and you are already mind slaved.

What are you gonna do about it?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
You are data, and you are already mind slaved.

What are you gonna do about it?
I am sure you read what I said but you wanted to look cool with your question

But I'll answer again. I want to die without the chance of my data being replicated forever and multiple times

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I am sure you read what I said but you wanted to look cool with your question

But I'll answer again. I want to die without the chance of my data being replicated forever and multiple times
Not like anyone would bother reproducing your shite data.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
This is kind of weird when you think about it. Do you have any kids?
Nope, and I don't want them. But I didn't meant the replication of my DNA data but my conscience/sentiment data. My mind

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
So much I'm sure of too. But do you see an issue when it comes to emotionally dealing with the inevitability of getting completely eradicated? If one can simply be totally rational and indifferent about it, okay. (But I wouldn't want that either, actually.) The problem is that it's usually not that easy, even for most irreligious people.
The nothingness like before one is born? I find that comforting. Truly resting in absolute peace.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That's all we bloody need, along with Trump, Brexit, Klopp etc.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
When they say 'we', they mean the people who can afford it.

Also, cue SteveJ's next book, wherein everyone can technically become immortal and amongst the more depraved of the wealthy there arises a game in which they offer exorbitant sums to plebians to kill themselves to provide the entry fee for their progeny and the process is regarded as a noble and worthy charity.

$100 million and your kids will be set for life AKA can afford the procedure.

To be titled 11111000000 and available at any NeuraLink download outlet near you.

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-living_organisms#Revived_into_activity_after_stasis
Like Altered Carbon.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The nothingness like before one is born? I find that comforting. Truly resting in absolute peace.
I can imagine why this thought can be comforting, but it's an idea of peace I personally can't relate to. To me, this one life we have is all that matters (from a purely individual POV, there are other angles).

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
They're the same when you get down to it, conceptually at least.
I am not well versed in philosophy nor on which kind of data is transferred through the DNA when you procreate, but are you suggesting that the conscience of myself, and my awareness as a being it can be transferred in the cells of next generations and they could pull out a "me" in the future from one of my descendants?

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Imagine religious feckers getting their hands on this technology.
"Burn in a virtual hell forever, you non-believer."

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Extended lifetimes with body rejuvination would be fecking awesome. I seriously considered law when I was younger. Did something else instead, and now that option is basically closed off to me forever. Same with countless other things. If you didn't have a natural shut off date, you could do all sorts of cool shit. Save up for a few years and go back to college and start a totally new career? Fancy trying that sporting career you never put the required dedication into when you were 12 or 13? Sure, why not? Suddenly there's no time limit on opportunity, and that would be an amazing gift.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I am not well versed in philosophy nor on which kind of data is transferred through the DNA when you procreate, but are you suggesting that the conscience of myself, and my awareness as a being it can be transferred in the cells of next generations and they could pull out a "me" in the future from one of my descendants?
That's the philosophical part of it. Your data is the DNA, the blueprint that made you. We can clone other life forms. Imagine your consciouness and memories can be turned into a transferable form of data and input into a clone of yourself.

Now, to get back back to my original point, mixing your DNA with someone else's and raising the offspring is only slightly different from the sci-fi scenario above. Children are an extension of ourselves and rearing them involves some transfer of our memories and learnings to them.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Extended lifetimes with body rejuvination would be fecking awesome. I seriously considered law when I was younger. Did something else instead, and now that option is basically closed off to me forever. Same with countless other things. If you didn't have a natural shut off date, you could do all sorts of cool shit. Save up for a few years and go back to college and start a totally new career? Fancy trying that sporting career you never put the required dedication into when you were 12 or 13? Sure, why not? Suddenly there's no time limit on opportunity, and that would be an amazing gift.
I wouldn't get anything done if everything could be done tomorrow. Man, I'd play a lot of video games.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
That's the philosophical part of it. Your data is the DNA, the blueprint that made you. We can clone other life forms. Imagine your consciouness and memories can be turned into a transferable form of data and input into a clone of yourself.

Now, to get back back to my original point, mixing your DNA with someone else's and raising the offspring is only slightly different from the sci-fi scenario above. Children are an extension of ourselves and rearing them involves some transfer of our memories and learnings to them.
I agree on that, but there is no foreseen technology to extract our memories/conscious and I hope never happen on mine. In the other hand, cloning wihtout your mind (so not yourself) and transhumanism is something likely to happen not that far away

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Could've sworn we had an AI thread. Maybe Damien deleted it so we stop talking about him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Can we stop AI outsmarting humanity?
"No," replies the human who recently set fire to his nose.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
"No," replies the human who recently set fire to his nose.
It boggles my mind how the smarter they get, the faster they'll become more intelligent. Imagine how quickly the world can advance, when their intelligence is multiplying that quickly? Whether we're still on it or not.
If this is the case, couldn't we see insane advancements in our lifetime?

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
It boggles my mind how the smarter they get, the faster they'll become more intelligent. Imagine how quickly the world can advance, when their intelligence is multiplying that quickly? Whether we're still on it or not.
I wouldn't worry too much of AI taking over the planet and ruling humans.

Sent by my android.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The Modem Prometheus written by tech-bro wankers.
A smug, lurid fantasy of anthropocentric mythos, futurist hubris and corporate cruelty. From Bound to Unbound to Bound for the bargain bin. What the story lacks in terms of compelling characters, intrigue and understanding, it more than makes up for in being an affective sedagive.
0000000101101/10

caid

We already have, haven't we?