To those against Mourinho...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
.. What would it take this season for him to win back your support? Just curious because it appears he's turned quite a few fans on the caf against him.

We are 3 games in and made a terrible start but is there anything he can do to make you think "no, actually he's the right man"?

Is it just the performance? Or is it the results alone?

If he got great results to keep us towards the top 3 mix by X-mas but inconsistent performances, should he still go? Or does he need great performances and results throughout the season and challenge for the title to the very end?

Is it silverware? What if he has a so so top 4 season but gets to the semis of CL and wins an FA Cup?

Or, is it too late? Is there nothing he can do to get everyone behind him again?

This thread isn't made for another civil war of those for mourinho fighting those against. I just want to know how far people are against him.

Last edited:

kundalini

For Mourinho to start next season as United manager, he needs to deliver either a genuine title challenge or CL final as a minimum. Anything less than that and we should try someone else.

el3mel

I'm his biggest supporter but for the sake of him and team he needs to go. We're delaying the inevitable. This has his last Chelsea season all over it :

Terrible summer, not well backed : Check.
Terrible start to the season : Check.
Signs of meltdown in his pressers : Check.

Mourinho doesn't do well under pressure and it will only become worse as the season goes on.

He should leave on mutual consent and get Carrick as a caretaker till we get a new manager next seaaon.

Judas

Open to offers
Win the CL or challenge for the title, I don't see why we should except anything less with the money that has been spent, and the fact he's already been at the club two years. Obviously neither will happen though. I really wanted him at the club, but it's been a bitter disappointment, and it only looks like it's going to end one way now.

Dong Fangzhuo

Honestly, it would take something monumental to happen for me to want him to stay long term, but that's as much to do with me never wanting him here and actively disliking his narcissistic circus act and his style of football for well over a decade before he became United manager as it is to do with his performance here to date.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
For Mourinho to start next season as United manager, he needs to deliver either a genuine title challenge or CL final as a minimum. Anything less than that and we should try someone else.
On the title challenge front though is it fair to ask any manager to do that when there are obvious holes in our defence?

Parking Jose aside, I think our central defenders aren't of sufficient quality to cope. I don't want to I point fingers as to why, but I'd be surprised if any manager can have a title challenge with this defence.

Siorac

Consistently good performances. Or at least consistently good results, though it really shouldn't be an either/or thing.

SER19

Anybody so vociferously against him needs to watch his full post match press conference. Not the little snippets you want to drive your narrative.

He’s backing his players, backing the fans and clearly motivated to get it right. He’s passionate it’s not just lip service. As of now, that’s all we can ask for and he should get a chance to turn it round.

Watch it and see him try deal with an arrogant, scum media who lick the arse of rival managers however much they fail. It’s naive to think the venom they’ve been dripping around united for years hasn’t taken its toll on the club and atmosphere. For now, I,m happy to back him and hope more than anything he can get it right

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Win the CL or challenge for the title, I don't see why we should except anything less with the money that has been spent, and the fact he's already been at the club two years. Obviously neither will happen though. I really wanted him at the club, but it's been a bitter disappointment, and it only looks like it's going to end one way now.
Well he's spent 200 odd million less than City so expecting a title challenge to them is a bit harsh given he was barely given money to bridge the gap this summer.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Challenge whilst playing some really good football would turn me back into him.

Turkleton

I think the negative atmosphere is already too much. He needs to go. We've seen this story.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Win football matches. It's a kneejerk business, win the next 4 and the fans will love him again.

Judas

Open to offers
Well he's spent 200 odd million less than City so expecting a title challenge to them is a bit harsh given he was barely given money to bridge the gap this summer.
He's spent less than City, but we've still spent plenty.

How about football that isn't depressing and makes me actually want to watch us play. I'm so sad how much I dislike watching our team, the majority of the rest of the league play better football than us. We have no identity, no style of play, it's just tumescent shite.

buchansleftleg

I predict if he leaves us Inter will snap him up, back him to the hilt and he will win them a few scudettos and champions league wins.

I know a lot of Chelsea fans feared the same would happen when he came to us. Sadly the club have backed him in a half-arsed way and now we have gone fully arsed with the briefing against him.

Inter won't make the same mistake.

meamth

Anybody so vociferously against him needs to watch his full post match press conference. Not the little snippets you want to drive your narrative.

He’s backing his players, backing the fans and clearly motivated to get it right. He’s passionate it’s not just lip service. As of now, that’s all we can ask for and he should get a chance to turn it round.

Watch it and see him try deal with an arrogant, scum media who lick the arse of rival managers however much they fail. It’s naive to think the venom they’ve been dripping around united for years hasn’t taken its toll on the club and atmosphere. For now, I,m happy to back him and hope more than anything he can get it right
Exactly my thoughts. Even the match commentators emphasized that the defeat will turn the media all over him, criticism and heavy judgements incoming just because the reputation of Manchester United.

Mourinho needs to thrive on this, I really want him to.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He'd have to

- Start winning football matches (essential)
- Win against big teams (essential)
- Play good football (would help)
- Stop whinging and being a twat (would help)

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Signs of progress with progressive, entertaining football, and a top four spot.

If he sticks to the mind-numbingly boring approach, only the league and/or the Champions League trophy is good enough. Nothing else redeems the utter lack of joy we play 95% of our games with.

Skåre Willoch

Now, I'm not necessarily in the "Mournho out" camp (other than the usual meltdown after a loss), but it seems clear as day that his third season syndrome is well underway.

To turn me into a believer in his managerial abilities again, he's got to bring back some genuine charisma to his persona, he'll need to win football games and trophies, he'll need to get us to the semis in CL, and he'll need to play some more entertaining attacking football. No small task.

Theonas

Scout
I would think he deserves more time and more backing if we can put 9 out of 10 consecutive good performances where we play front foot football and create chances with maybe 7 or 8 wins in the process. I would think he is the right man for the job long term if he can do that plus a title challenge. Unfortunately, I am certain he is incapable of both.

RedRover

This argument is bizarre.

Rather than "bridging the gap" to City - as a starting point, how about getting a tune out of the £300 million plus players he's bought? Or finding and sticking with a cohesive system? Or producing some vaguely entertaining football that lets the attacking players he's got at his disposal play with some freedom?

With what he's spent he should be serving up better than he has been. Spurs have spent far less but have a manager capable of doing all of those things above.

Looking at money spent as the only metric is lazy. He's had a fortune. We are not where we are solely because he wasn't allowed to buy a centre-back in the summer and the sooner some people realise that the better.

Jonno

Only the day the players appear not to be playing for Mourinho is the day this "3rd year syndrome" is kicking in.

People trying to pass it off as a 3rd year syndrome clearly have an agenda.

I saw the team playing for the manager and the fans last night, and I saw a superb header destroy our momentum. I've seen this happen in games dating back to when I started supporting United, in the early 90's. It's nothing to do with a "Mourinho 3rd year syndrome".

I'm happy to agree with the fans on here saying it's a 3rd year syndrome when I see the players down tools like they did at Chelsea. Last night Luke Shaw was on the verge of tears, that's a man playing for the manager.

Needham

Does anyone else find themselves not really against him and not really for him?

rpitchfo

I’m of the opinion that all you need is 10 games into a season to have a good degree of certainty as to how the rest of the season will go. I don’t mind growing into a season from a playing style perspective but given that we have already lost 2 games. I would need Jose to win the next 7 games.

And I’m not even José out yet...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Rather than "bridging the gap" to City - as a starting point, how about getting a tune out of the £300 million plus players he's bought? Or finding and sticking with a cohesive system? Or producing some vaguely entertaining football that lets the attacking players he's got at his disposal play with some freedom?

With what he's spent he should be serving up better than he has been. Spurs have spent far less but have a manager capable of doing all of those things above.

Looking at money spent as the only metric is lazy. He's had a fortune. We are not where we are solely because he wasn't allowed to buy a centre-back in the summer and the sooner some people realise that the better.
It's not a bizzare argument. You can't expect one side to challenge another for the title when the other has spent a significantly greater outlay.

Getting the most out of talent is one thing but its still a bizzare "minimum requirement" to expect a title challenge on top.

SER19

Also, worth drawing attention to him going on field to shaw who has been a bright spot.hes managed him well but the naysayers act like he’s bullied him. It was nice to see him standing at Stratford end at full time facing the music.

Also good to hear Herrera say that is exactly how they should approach next game too. It didn’t happen yesterday but the intent to get on top and start on front foot needs to be built on, not surrendered because of a defeat

OverratedOpinion

I am not against Mourinho, I genuinely like the bloke and have done long before he was at Utd. I also think he is a very good manager, one of the best.

The issue is compatibility, he is the wrong manager for us right now. His job is to bring short term success and he has been unable to do so, not entirely his fault as he was unlucky to run up against an incredible Man City team. Regardless of the circumstances the attempt at short term success has failed. I can accept that and when he goes he will get a warm send off from me and be remembered fondly for the Europa League and his hard work, we just happen to need someone else now. Someone who can take on a 5 year project with substantial backing and make us a great team.

Jose will go on to be successful at other clubs once he is gone and I will be happy for him as the way the Press talk about him (even when he is succeeding) is poor.

Jonno

Didn't we.. just.. finish... 2nd? Only to a record breaking PL team? Short memories.... The football isn't great, but the results have been good enough. But fine, judge a manager whos just guided us to 2nd and nail his coffin after 3 PL games. Lets see where posters like you are in about 6 months when we've turned this bad corner and in the top 4 trying to compete.

We've some spoilt fans come out of the Fergie Era, who just think we're entitled to trophies.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I’m not in the “Mourinho Out camp”, but when there’s stagnation, and no seeming improvement since the day he came here, then that’s a problem.
I didn’t see any improvement in our cohesion as a team last season from the season before, the attackers inproved their finishing last year, that was the biggest reason we finished second.

Reactions: van der star

johanovic

A leader that can not inspire, create a good working atmopshere and seems unhappy as hell will not work out. He´s bought plenty of players and most of them have not worked out well and the sight of him behaving like he´s done while in one of the best jobs in world football is pathetic to see. Of all the players he signed would it be to much to ask that perhaps 60-70% of them would be giving back to the team. He has not got his starting 11 sorted still and we look clueless. Then he throw Fellaini on in despair and we start to hoof the ball forward.

Zlatattack

I like him personally. I like his cocky attitude, I like how he'll grind out results, I like the fact he is about winning. Right now I don't think he should continue as our manager, and I think the fault lies with him, the players and the club.

The main reason I think he should go is because I don't think the club are backing him financially. I assume that's because they don't have faith in him to sign the right players. You can't coach a RW out of nowhere, you can't coach limited defenders who are at their peak to be any better, well Mourinho doesn't seem to be able to.

I don't want us to rush into sacking him, it won't fix the deep lying faults, it'll only change the short term issues, like morale or players who seem to want out. If he starts delivering results, i'm happy to see how it goes.

OverratedOpinion

I’m not in the “Mourinho Out camp”, but when there’s stagnation, and no seeming improvement since the day he came here, then that’s a problem.
I didn’t see any improvement in our cohesion as a team last season from the season before, the attackers inproved their finishing last year, that was the biggest reason we finished second.
I actually thought we played alright football in his first season and missed a lot of chances.

Aloysius's Back 3

To try not to replicate building a team that is Chelsea 3.0 - his tactics are so damn predictable; I just cant stand it anymore. :( The players he prefers, the way football is played, our plan B being not much different to Plan A.

Ultimately - the only way I was ever going to be happy was if he built a team, playing a type of football that I was not expecting.

Everything that we was expecting had happened.

• He started off with the WHOLE club asking of guiding Martial & Rashford due to them being players we were generally proud about - both have depreciated with many fans shooting at them directly. Also
    • Was there any reason to send Tuenzebe and TFM on loan when we lacked CB's lol
  • He prioritises strengh and height over pure technical ability - from the requirment of Lukaku to the overuse of fellaini. This is ultimately shown in our preference for hoof football
  • His underdog approach acting as a reactive team to other teams tactics rather than having tactics of his own that enables players to play in their best position and thus have better performances
  • 'high work rate' - is regarded as normal when it is not; not everyone has triple lungs like park ji sung and we defintely do not need 11 players like that - someone like xavi was much less hard working
  • His poor man management skills which correlates with his' everyone vs us' approach - leading to getting the best out of individuals like ibrahimovic but constantly struggles with players who are much more different emotionally. It's obvious how many players feel left out.
  • His third season catastrophe is obviously not a made up thing and he is not a long term manager
  • Whislt there is more, finally the least important but also adds to the hate is that he hasnt covered up any of this mistakes by being successful

There is so much more - just having to see his negative face represents the type of football we are playing - he has to go; I cant do it anymore :(:(:(

No one dislikes him more than me.

Irrational.

The way we're playing at the moment, the morale of the players and the media humiliation is very much reminiscent of the latter days of Moyes and LVG.

We may only be three games into the season, but the atmosphere is so toxic Jose has to go. It's the only solution.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Start playing on the front foot. Fed up of us sitting back and being dominated by weaker teams.

Score more goals. Football is about entertainment, and if you score more you generally win matches.

Decide how he wants to play and stick with it. Swapping formation every other match and switching certain players after 1 poor game is silly, especially when others seem undroppable.

Stop going to war with the press, you'll only create more pressure for yourself and end up worse.

I don't expect to win every game, but I do expect a minimum level of performance + quality. The fact that promoted clubs like Fulham are playing better football than us is a joke really.

BlueHaze

3 games, 2 losses already, conceded 7 goals and scored 3. These are stats that represent teams fighting to avoid relegation. There should be no argument anymore of wether he should stay or go, its a fact now. Last night there was absolutely no difference in the way we played from when Moyes was here, we tried and we tried, bottled all the chances then concede 2 quick goals and the game was over. This is incredibly worrying as I could never imagine Mourinho becoming a new Moyes but he actually is. Anyone who thinks he is going to turn this season around is in strong denial and there is no argument that will make these stubborn people change their minds anyway so it's pointless to argue with fools. Everyone knows that when things start to go bad for Jose there is only one direction we will go and thats straight down to the dirt.

Needham

37 views and 36 replies so far. Has a thread EVER matched those stats? Incredible stuff and hat tip to you @VP89

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm not in the Mourinho Out camp.

That said, he needs to demonstrate that he can make this set of players perform to their maximum or near maximum.

Expectations of CL are extremely deluded. If "challenging for the title" is a point minimum of 85 points then fair enough. If "challenging for the title" is "within 5 points of PL champion" that's unreasonable. Not pegging him to a moving target.