Toaster Toes Timo Werner | Tottenham Player

Blood Mage

The Bundesliga is a bit wank isn't it? He already looks like a world beater again over there but he was gash for his entire time in the PL.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The Bundesliga is a bit wank isn't it? He already looks like a world beater again over there but he was gash for his entire time in the PL.
Bundesregionalliga Nord very bad. Insightful piece of analysis.

SAFMUTD

Turns out he actually wasnt a bad striker, he just needed to play in a league where theres isnt any defending at all.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Turns out he actually wasnt a bad striker, he just needed to play in a league where theres isnt any defending at all.
You guys do realize that he scored his hattrick against a 4th division side, don't you?

Lyricist

Haaland and Lewandowski are also finding scoring a lot more difficult this season so far, as now they’re finally facing real defenders.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I’d be all for using that 80m Gordon money for him, of course , but could he really supplant the lethality of Kai Havertz?

exciting times

Red the Bear

Something less generic
All of his 6 goals were away goals. Could be that it even was easier away than at home as they could go on counters more.
That's an peculiar star I've got to say, you're hypothesis probably is correct, I remember them being pretty counter attacking based.

Blackwidow

That's an peculiar star I've got to say, you're hypothesis probably is correct, I remember them being pretty counter attacking based.
Werner lives of his pace (if he is not offside). That is why Chelsea and their system just did not really match to him. That he is a mentality player is another thing. He can be the absolute big scorer in a team where a team can play out his strength (even if Leipzig right now usually ain't that either as they aren't just playing pure Rennball-football anymore). And be totally out of place with other tactics.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds like Sanchos career so far.
All Chelsea attackers look dreadful at times when they play for us last 2 years. Yet play better for national teams.

It's been a tactical and system problem as much as the players.

Yesterday was a big improvement though, some proper creativity. See if we can keep it up. Even with key injuries at the moment.

Sterling hasn't offered much over Werner, if Potter in sooner probably would have kept him.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Sounds like Sanchos career so far.
That post was prematurely made after scoring a hattrick against a fourth division side. Werner is doing well in the league, that's true, but far from performing on Sancho's Dortmund level.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That post was prematurely made after scoring a hattrick against a fourth division side. Werner is doing well in the league, that's true, but far from performing on Sancho's Dortmund level.
He isn't really doing well in the league, what did he do apart from scoring a brace against last placed Bochum?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Sterling hasn't offered much over Werner, if Potter in sooner probably would have kept him.
Werner fit our system better, his off the ball movement created openings and teams were always having to track him because of his pace. Sterling prefers short balls to feet and is nowhere near as direct. If he had been able to finish off his many dreadful 6 yard chances then he would have been considered a success. As it happens, he goes into a separate category with Crespo as not quite a complete failure but still.. a failure of sorts.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He isn't really doing well in the league, what did he do apart from scoring a brace against last placed Bochum?
3 goals and 2 assists in 8 matches is "doing well" for me. It's not great and he doesn't look like a world beater, but it's not bad either, just solid to good.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Werner fit our system better, his off the ball movement created openings and teams were always having to track him because of his pace. Sterling prefers short balls to feet and is nowhere near as direct. If he had been able to finish off his many dreadful 6 yard chances then he would have been considered a success. As it happens, he goes into a separate category with Crespo as not quite a complete failure but still.. a failure of sorts.
Still one of, if not the best finisher i have seen for us.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like he’s doing well again.

9 goals, 4 assists, 15 games

Chelsea really don’t have much luck with forwards!
Heavy early round lower league team tax with this record but yeah glad for him that he’s back in his happy place.

Boavista

Looks like he’s doing well again.

9 goals, 4 assists, 15 games

Chelsea really don’t have much luck with forwards!
He (and Leipzig) seem to be regaining some form, but 9g4a in 15 games makes him look a bit better than he's been I think. 4 of those goal contributions came against a 4th division side. 2 against a certain relegation candidate in Bochum.

He did score crucial goals in their last two CL games against Real and Celtic, so that's pretty good.

Chelsea just wasn't a good fit, but then it seemed like going back to Leipzig could have been a bad fit too at first, given Nkunku filled his shoes and then some. But it's starting to look up in that regard, and Nkunku is almost certainly gone next summer anyway. Plus I reckon now that Tedesco is gone, Rose's football might be much better for a player like Werner in general as he puts more focus on transition football.
However, I doubt he'll ever replicate his 28 goal pre-Chelsea season but who knows.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think it's clear now he doesn't have the mental strength to play in a bigger team with the higher pressure. It was a worry when he moved to Chelsea and now back at Leipzig he is looking better. People can point of the quality of the league etc but the chances he was missing at Chelsea were similar to the ones he regularly got and scored at Leipzig.

He'll be like Immobile, a great striker in his national league but struggled when outside of it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think it's clear now he doesn't have the mental strength to play in a bigger team with the higher pressure. It was a worry when he moved to Chelsea and now back at Leipzig he is looking better. People can point of the quality of the league etc but the chances he was missing at Chelsea were similar to the ones he regularly got and scored at Leipzig.

He'll be like Immobile, a great striker in his national league but struggled when outside of it.
Yeah but the thing about Werner is that I actually admired his mental strength. Yeah for whatever reason his confidence in front of goal was shattered, but he always kept head his head, always kept working hard and producing in other ways aside from goals. He heavily contributed to how dangerous we could be in attack. I think he ended up having the most goals and most assists in his first season despite the horror show in front of goal and of course winning the CL :wenger:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I actually thought a cheeky punt on him by United this summer would have been interesting. To make a definitive judgement like that lacks the requisite sample size.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Nooooo, what are we gonna do now?:(
Not to be insensitive, but I think this is "good" news in terms of the WC, as it won't allot Flick to have any stupid ideas of giving Werner opportunities to feck up the tournament.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Not to be insensitive, but I think this is "good" news in terms of the WC, as it won't allot Flick to have any stupid ideas of giving Werner opportunities to feck up the tournament.
You don't say...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You don't say...
Look, sarcasm is a risky thing on the caf. For every point made in sarcasm there are one or two guys who write the same in earnest.

I get the sarcasm, but I would rather have him in the squad than not. Sucks for him.
The only thing he's good at is counter attacks that are so wide open he gets a tap in at the end. I think other players should be able to cover that.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I get the sarcasm, but I would rather have him in the squad than not. Sucks for him.
I think do.ob is right here, Flicks absurd hard on for Werner could very well have had us endure him as a starter. This is a World Cup, not a Build up Timo's confidence-Tournament.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
:nono:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I can spell it out again for you: I feel sorry for Werner as a person, but I'm more confident of doing well/winning with him completely absent than with Flick giving him any minutes in decisive games and from how things were looking during the lead up to the tournament, he probably would have even started the guy.