Tobacco firm Philip Morris calls for ban on cigarettes within decade

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Smoking shouldn't be banned it should be discouraged. After ardent campaigning in the last 2 decades, the amount of smokers plummeted over here.

It changed smoking from something cool into something sad and pathetic. And let's face it, no one starts smoking because they find the prospect of smelling like shit and dying of cancer so enticing. They start smoking because it's cool, or bad ass, or aloof or whatever the feck companies like Philip Morris taught us to think.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
#It's okay to admit you didn't follow the conversation, or possibly read the entire post.
#Ididfollowtheentireconversation

#putdowntheshovelandstopdigging

nimic

something nice
Scout
#Ididfollowtheentireconversation

#putdowntheshovelandstopdigging
Okay, I'll try another tactic. The reason I assume you can't have read my post is because at the end I said this:

Also, again, you're missing the point that I don't care about moderate alcohol use. That wasn't what my post was about. It was about the slippery slope argument that because the government does this, it then follows that it will do that.
The reason I assume you can't have followed the conversation was because my original post was this:

Unless you're an actual anarchist (or much worse: a libertarian), this such a lazy argument. The government also decided that it "isn't good for us" to drive without seatbelts, or while on the phone, or with young kids not safely strapped into seats. Or that "it isn't good for us" to have guns (in most countries), or own a rocket launcher or a fighter jet. Or that it "isn't good for us" to not have clear information about what is in food or drugs. The government does stuff, that's sort of what it's there for.

It's a slippery slope argument.
The statement you quoted was never meant to be something I was advocating for, nor was it meant to be a one-to-one comparison. It was deliberately ever so slightly absurd. It was deliberately arbitrary. Obviously I don't think drinking two pints is the same as using your phone while you're driving. I figured that was clear from the context of the conversation, and if not that then from the final paragraph.

The point was that laws are arbitrary and sometimes impossible to compare, but that it doesn't mean that there's a slippery slope of "government overreach". Clearly @Regulus Arcturus Black disagreed, which is fine, but I assumed he knew I wasn't advoctating for making alcohol illegal. Why is it so difficult for you?'

Edit: Sorry, forgot the #hashtag.

Edit Edit: you know what? I don't care. It's going wildly off topic and it's not even fun. Feel free to reply to my redacted post, but don't expect me to engage further.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I wouldn’t be for banning smoking - it wouldn’t work and people would still smoke anyway. Just continued education about the negatives of it will continue to see smoking fall I think. I enjoy an occasional smoke, I maybe smoke 40 a year.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wouldn’t be for banning smoking - it wouldn’t work and people would still smoke anyway. Just continued education about the negatives of it will continue to see smoking fall I think. I enjoy an occasional smoke, I maybe smoke 40 a year.
Do you just buy a pack and carry it around for 6 months?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Thing is it's the manufacturers calling for a ban. Why is that?

From my perspective they want out of this business and due to its currently profitable state it would be hard to convince their boards and shareholders to divest.

Dr. Dwayne

They are calling for a ban on cigarettes, not Tobacco, right?
Seems so but let's call it what it is, nicotine.

That said they want to be in position to push smoke free alternatives, which would likely rule out tobacco as well. Though I'm sure one could still grow it and some places like the Americas would require exemptions for traditional uses.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Seems so but let's call it what it is, nicotine.

That said they want to be in position to push smoke free alternatives, which would likely rule out tobacco as well. Though I'm sure one could still grow it and some places like the Americas would require exemptions for traditional uses.
In that case, I think you will still be able to keep buying tobacco, but lose in bags. Just like you buy cannabis. Ideally, to consume it in a healthy way (vaporizer or edibles), but some people will still prefer to buy rolling papers and make their own ciggies (just like many prefer to roll a joint instead of vaping).

Otherwise, cannabis should be banned as well. Smoking weed is just as addictive and bad as smoking tobacco.

Dr. Dwayne

Smoking weed is just as addictive and bad as smoking tobacco.
:lol: not commenting on the health aspects because we simply don't know at this time but nicotine is astronomically more addictive than cannabis. Indeed, in some circles it's considered to be more addictive than cocaine and heroin.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Okay, I'll try another tactic. The reason I assume you can't have read my post is because at the end I said this:

The reason I assume you can't have followed the conversation was because my original post was this:

The statement you quoted was never meant to be something I was advocating for, nor was it meant to be a one-to-one comparison. It was deliberately ever so slightly absurd. It was deliberately arbitrary. Obviously I don't think drinking two pints is the same as using your phone while you're driving. I figured that was clear from the context of the conversation, and if not that then from the final paragraph.

The point was that laws are arbitrary and sometimes impossible to compare, but that it doesn't mean that there's a slippery slope of "government overreach". Clearly @Regulus Arcturus Black disagreed, which is fine, but I assumed he knew I wasn't advoctating for making alcohol illegal. Why is it so difficult for you?'

Edit: Sorry, forgot the #hashtag.

Edit Edit: you know what? I don't care. It's going wildly off topic and it's not even fun. Feel free to reply to my redacted post, but don't expect me to engage further.
Redacted? You've put a line through it. :lol:

But you didn't actually want it to remove it from public viewing otherwise you would've, I dunno, deleted it? Give it a go, it's really easy.

The thing is, I also read RABs posts, which evidently you did not. I'm perfectly aware you weren't advocating for making alcohol illegal, and it's a little odd this is the only interpretation you could find in why we think your comparison was shite. As RAB rightly points out, comparing the moderation/restriction of something that harms other people as opposed to something that has some health and social benefits is absurd. You tried to 'call him out' on one of the examples you gave that he didn't quote, which he then responds to and reinforces his point, you then make create convoluted amendment to try and save it as opposed to actually tackling the differentiation he makes.

Drinking alcohol moderately doesn’t kill people, in fact it’s almost to be argued the opposite, it has many many benefits for society. None of your examples have any benefits for society.
And in response to that you use driving slowly while on the phone as an example of something potentially dangerous to others that you can moderate the danger from? You must know how absolutely ridiculous that is, and how it clearly doesn't challenge the pretty simple concept RAB puts forward.

Edit: Sorry, I meant to 'redact' my post.

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
You couldn’t make this shit up.
I used to smoke - it’s a horrible habit now that I don’t. :yawn:
Feck Philip Morris and all the others but I agree that education is better than a ban.