Tobin Heath | out for the rest of the season

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Looks like Casey found a Keano / Cantona type of winner mentality for her team.

NotThatSoph

If this has been as much of a done deal as reported I really hope she's been in England for a while, especially considering that I don't think US nationals face travel restrictions going back to the US from Europe.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think she/they are travelling this week - then it'll be two weeks quarantine. Hopefully we'll see her after the international break.

I don't think the USA team have a training camp or anything scheduled for the break - otherwise that will really slow things down.

marktan

Are United expected to be competitive for a league challenge this season with these signings (alongside Press), or is it more likely to be Chelsea / City like last season?

Any idea what our wage bill stacks up like against those teams?

Edit: Never mind read through the other thread. A top 3 challenge would be great for the club. Great to see United investing in the women's team.

Himannv

Been watching a bit of both Heath and Press on Youtube. I haven't watched much of them before as I'm not that clued in to football in the US. From what I've seen so far, Heath is quite the player. Nominated for the Women's Ballon D'Or as well.

NecssryEvil

Yes! As an American Canadian, I am thrilled to see a couple "local" ladies play for United!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Heath (and Press) did media sessions today. Most of the questions are apparently embargoed by United (to give the print media a shot at using it) until later, but the BBC has a first look:
"I want to wear a badge that has weight and history and obviously this one has an enormous amount of it. Even putting on the training kit is huge."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54240279

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Nice interview, but this bit made me smile.

“It’s funny because I was actually at Old Trafford yesterday and it was bringing back a lot of memories,” says Heath, who has been working on a Lego model of the ground that can be glimpsed in the background. “I was nerding out before and during the Olympics when we played there.

“I had all the feels when going back. It’s almost elevated, it’s almost like a stage for the players and I always enjoyed that you can kind of just slip right off the edges.”

:devil:

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I've got to say, I've been impressed by just how committed and skillful she is. I knew she was a quality player, but I wasn't sure if she was coming to us simply to stay fit, ready for the Olympics. But she clearly came to play, and to win. Anyway, she's in the FIFPro team of the year.

Delighted for her.

The XI suffers a bit from the fact that with limited international football and basically no football in the US - a lot of the voting seems to be based on 2019 performances. Meg Rapinoe for example has scarcely played at all this year.

Who was voting? Well according to FIFPro:
  • A total of 2,412 female footballers who play at the highest level in their country participated in the vote. FIFPRO received most votes from Ukraine.

Himannv

She's incredible and I think those awards are well deserved.

Just had a feeling about her when she was walking about on the touchline before her first game. There was just something about that nonchalant slouchy stroll that made me think there's a real player there. You could see the players on the pitch had one eye on her as well and they all sort of lifted their game. Have never seen Kristy Hanson play quite as well as she did on that day - I think she ended up being the player of the match. :lol:

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
She's incredible and I think those awards are well deserved.

Just had a feeling about her when she was walking about on the touchline before her first game. There was just something about that nonchalant slouchy stroll that made me think there's a real player there. You could see the players on the pitch had one eye on her as well and they all sort of lifted their game. Have never seen Kristy Hanson play quite as well as she did on that day - I think she ended up being the player of the match. :lol:
Got to be honest this is the best I've seen her play since about 2017. She was in great for then, but had a few injuries the last few years and been a bit inconsistent. In some ways the Covid break has been really good for her, I think the rest has really helped her and she really suits the teams game.

Not sure she deserved to make the 11, she's not played as much as others this year. But it does show how highly thought of she is as a player by others and if it was just for the last 3 months then I'd say definately.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Casey Stoney confirming that it could be a while before we see Tobin again.

I've not seen any more details, on what the injury is our what "a while" means. Fingers crossed we'll see her back in action in weeks rather than months, she's been a really important player for us.

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
Well she was wearing a foot cast so hopefully it really isn't bad. Missed her for the Chelsea game and the Birmingham clash, hopefully she will be back for the City or Arsenal clash

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Unfortunately Tobin's rehab hasn't gone as well as hoped - and she's now undergoing treatment on her knee. She's returning to the US to complete her program with the USNWT staff. They're hoping that she can be ready for the Olympics.

Casey Stoney isn't sure about contracts and next season - I'd guess Press and Heath are likely to decide to go back to the US. It's been such a strange year to be a foreign player in the UK, and with no real chance to explore the country or to meet the fans, I doubt that they learned to love the place (or the climate).

It's a real shame if she has played her last game for us. She really did add something special to the team and was a key part of our great form in the first half of the season.

https://www.si.com/.amp/soccer/2021/04/16/tobin-heath-manchester-united-injury-setback-olympics