Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
If we can get him for a reasonable price then yes please, he's a bloody good defender. I would say he's been one of the best if not the best for the past few seasons. Also It's no coincidence that he's been apart of the best defence records for several seasons.

Lets not put to much emphasis on him being part of a few very well organised team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why wouldn't they? They got James, Goretzka, Tolisso, and Coman they don't "need" any of them. Kovac plays a 3 cb system, Martinez is their cdm with Vidal likely gone. Boating is their Phil Jones. Levy will probably give them a bargain, they could afford his wages. You think Bayern Munich cares if they added him, their bench can compete in the EPL. They will compete for trophies every year, we can't even compete with Sevilla.

FFP is a joke, nothing is going to happen to PSG. Qatar will write UEFA a fat check and will look the other way.

Can United sell a player to Liverpool or City if a player wants to go there? Levy hates us and we know he's a vindictive person. We will be the very last resort.
Bayern won't go near him, quote me on that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We've got stock full of CBs

Bailly & Lindelof just bought in.
Rojo just offered a new contract.
We get more service out of Jones than the fee we might get by selling him.
Tuanzebe and Fosu Mensah need games.

So the only ones that could be pushed out are Blind and Smalling, who might net a good transfer fee.
So we'll sell our only reliable centreback? The one who for the last six months (the last three years really) has played pretty much every game while his partner rotates around him (including recently having three different partners in three games). And keep the likes of Rojo, Jones, Bailly and Lindelof, all of whom have been, for one reason or another, incredibly inconsistent in their Utd careers?

I simply can't understand how anybody can think this will happen.

Rajma

Think he'll end up going for around £35m.
For that price, we would be pretty stupid not to seriously challenge for his signature. Would happily ship both Smalling and Jones form him. Different class altogether if we’re looking for someone who not only can defend but be a leader and comfortable under pressure with the ball.

Morpheus 7

I'm sure I heard that Spurs would accept £40m through some outlet. That's probably to clubs who aren't man United though. Our price is probably £400m plus Pogba, old Levy loves United.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So we'll sell our only reliable centreback? The one who for the last six months (the last three years really) has played pretty much every game while his partner rotates around him (including recently having three different partners in three games). And keep the likes of Rojo, Jones, Bailly and Lindelof, all of whom have been, for one reason or another, incredibly inconsistent in their Utd careers?

I simply can't understand how anybody can think this will happen.
If the idea is to get Alderweireld we'd have to sell someone and the only ones we can sell are the ones that have value. Owing to being reliable over the past couple of years, that'll have to be Smalling because no one else is going to get us much in return.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
If the idea is to get Alderweireld we'd have to sell someone and the only ones we can sell are the ones that have value. Owing to being reliable over the past couple of years, that'll have to be Smalling because no one else is going to get us much in return.
Well we don't really need to sell to make money. We would need to sell to free up space more than anything, so it could be anyone.

MadDogg

Except we need two reliable centrebacks, else we'll just be in exactly the same situation as we are now. Constantly rotating as people are injured or playing badly, unable to get an actual partnership going.

If we do sign a centreback (whether Alderweireld or somebody else), it's quite likely that Mourinho will be hoping that he'll be able to partner him with Bailly. But Smalling will be the reliable backup ready to come in if Bailly gets injured (which happens quite often) or is playing poorly (which also happens quite often). As such I'd take a guess that there would be a higher than 50% chance that it would end up being mostly Smalling plus the new guy which ends up being our main partnership.

We're not exactly some poor club who has to sell to buy players. Sure if two players are equally important to us and we're looking to sell one, we'd most likely sell the one who'd bring in the most money. But in this case the players aren't equally as important. Smalling is by far the most important purely by virtue of being the only one who has been able to stay fit, not to mention that his average performance is more reliable than all our other options bar maybe Jones on the rare occasion he's able to stay fit for a while. Even then that is Jones this season in his best season for us other than his debut season, and it's arguable which of the two has been better.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Well we don't really need to sell to make money. We would need to sell to free up space more than anything, so it could be anyone.
Except we need two reliable centrebacks, else we'll just be in exactly the same situation as we are now. Constantly rotating as people are injured or playing badly, unable to get an actual partnership going.

If we do sign a centreback (whether Alderweireld or somebody else), it's quite likely that Mourinho will be hoping that he'll be able to partner him with Bailly. But Smalling will be the reliable backup ready to come in if Bailly gets injured (which happens quite often) or is playing poorly (which also happens quite often). As such I'd take a guess that there would be a higher than 50% chance that it would end up being mostly Smalling plus the new guy which ends up being our main partnership.

We're not exactly some poor club who has to sell to buy players. Sure if two players are equally important to us and we're looking to sell one, we'd most likely sell the one who'd bring in the most money. But in this case the players aren't equally as important. Smalling is by far the most important purely by virtue of being the only one who has been able to stay fit, not to mention that his average performance is more reliable than all our other options bar maybe Jones on the rare occasion he's able to stay fit for a while. Even then that is Jones this season in his best season for us other than his debut season, and it's arguable which of the two has been better.
Unless we are planning to go 3 at the back from next season I don't think Jose spent money on either Bailly or Lindelof for one of them to be the 4th choice. I don't think Smalling would be content being the back up either, especially when his place in the national team is already threatened.

Alabaster Codify7

I'd definitely take him. Personally, I'd have sold Rojo (which now seems unlikely) and Lindelof (he just doesn't seem good enough) and brought in Alderweireld. I reckon he'll end up at Chelsea.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He'd come in, be first choice, orchestrate defense and the other 15 centre backs would slug it out for a place to partner him. We'd probably sell Smalling or Jones.

Given he's available, we should not mess this up.

Trizy

Sell Smalling and Lindolf. Surely get the money required for his transfer.

MadDogg

Unless we are planning to go 3 at the back from next season I don't think Jose spent money on either Bailly or Lindelof for one of them to be the 4th choice. I don't think Smalling would be content being the back up either, especially when his place in the national team is already threatened.
I'm sure they'll all be given the opportunity to stake a claim as first choice, much as they were this season. If Bailly or Lindelof do enough to deserve it, then I would expect Smalling to then ask to be sold at the end of that season. But I doubt he'd run before taking that fight on, considering he's comfortably won it against them so far. And like I said above, Mourinho will probably be hoping Bailly or Lindelof would step up, but if ultimately Smalling outperforms them (as he has so far) then he's not going to continue to favour them just because he signed them.

In saying all this, I still think it's quite likely we won't sign any central defender. We've got to deal with the fullbacks and midfield for sure, and once that's done it'll then be up to Mourinho as to how many players he is after in total. We might go for a central defender or right winger as well, but those positions aren't definite.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The only way i can see us buying a new centre back is if we sell Lindelof or Jones. Smalling is first choice and i don't know what Rojo did to deserve a new contract. Also Spurs don't really miss him, they'll be delighted if we come along and pay £50m.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't know why some suggesting we sell Lindelof. First season, still young and has been improving as the season has gone on. More importantly, our best ball playing CB by some distance.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Don't know why some suggesting we sell Lindelof. First season, still young and has been improving as the season has gone on. More importantly, our best ball playing CB by some distance.
If he's our best ball playing CB by a distance it hasn't enhanced our performances at all when he's played. Seems like another Darmian to me, we should cut our losses early rather than wasting a squad spot on him for years. Hope he proves me wrong.

MadDogg

More importantly, our best ball playing CB by some distance.
He hasn't actually really shown that in his time with us though. Not that I expect him to be sold, but his ball playing hasn't been anywhere near as good as what we were all expecting. Hopefully it's just him getting used to the team and bedding in, and he'll step up in that regard next season.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
First season, still young and has been improving as the season has gone on. More importantly, our best ball playing CB by some distance.
Says more about the level he was playing at initially to be fair.

RedB4ndiT

I hope we pass. We need to address both our fullback positions first and don't really need another centerback (we have too many already).

Smores

Does run contrary to our fans moaning about not giving young players a chance to develop. Think he's shown enough to stick with him, more so than caf darling shaw

Mcking

He'd come in, be first choice, orchestrate defense and the other 15 centre backs would slug it out for a place to partner him. We'd probably sell Smalling or Jones.

Given he's available, we should not mess this up.
He will probably end up slogging it out with the other CBs to be Smalling's partner.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I’d like to think he’d come in and fix everything. I think he’d actually just get injured. We’re cursed.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He will probably end up slogging it out with the other CBs to be Smalling's partner.
Yeah, I've been guilty of underrating Smalling, but I won't be guilty of overrating him. He's not elite.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Levy is a professional ABU, and will do everything in his power to screw us royally, so all being said and done, we would have to blow any rival bidders out of the water by offering Spurs and the player more than they are offered elsewhere.

In today's market though, you'd have to say, Alderweireld for £40 odd Million would be a great signing.

James Peril

Alderweireld would be a great signing, but he is injury-prone, just like our other central defenders. He is also getting on, and all players with knee problems and hamstringsnwill only continue having them. Not saying he’s a Ledley King, but still.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Alderweireld would be a great signing, but he is injury-prone, just like our other central defenders. He is also getting on, and all players with knee problems and hamstringsnwill only continue having them. Not saying he’s a Ledley King, but still.
This is his first major injury. His record shows he's not injury prone.

onemanarmy

It's his first serious injury, and he is 29. How is that "getting on"?

AP88

Supports
Man City
Lets not put to much emphasis on him being part of a few very well organised team.
But that ‘well organised team’ has looked vulnerable in his absence this season.

He’s incredibly intelligent and would be the perfect partner for either Smalling or Bailly.

Red_toad

So Rose who’s been fit more often this season is a crock, who fans don’t want, but Alderweireld is a fantastic signing? Add in we need to sell our most consistent central to purchase him? Am I getting the general consensus?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So Rose who’s been fit more often this season is a crock, who fans don’t want, but Alderweireld is a fantastic signing? Add in we need to sell our most consistent central to purchase him? Am I getting the general consensus?
No, Rose is not the elite level left back we need, injury issues aside. He's not been anywhere near good enough in his last outings, indicating a decline. If we are buying a full back, we need to make sure they are elite level. With regards to the centre back position, we need an organiser, someone who orchestrates defense and calms everyone down. And yes, Alderweireld is another level from Rose. That's obvious.

Suv666

TA has had ONE major injury and the rest of his injury record is pretty good whilst Rose has struggled with injuries throughout his carrer.
Plus they are better options than Rose available in the market while Toby is the very best CB available. Would be mad not to go for him

Sanche7

Going by the rumours, I expect us to buy Toby, Sandro and Fred.
Would that solve all our problems? No, we would still need a RB & RW and another CM, but we would have some Left side : Sandro - Pogba - Sanchez and a very mediocre Right side : Valencia - Fred - Lingard

Momochiru

I don’t see us spending money on a CB.

We’ve just given Rojo a new contract and have Smalling, Jones, Bailey and Lindelof.

The priorities this summer is at fullback, in midfield and possibly a genuine winger if Martial demands a move.
We also got Blind and Darmian and possibly Shaw - 3 players who might leave this summer. We need to replace the numbers just to keep the squad healthy. I would say a new CB, LB and RB are a must if these 3 leave. Whether it's 3 new signings, or 1-2 new and 1-2 academy players it's anybody's guess, but I would say Toby + LB and TMF coming back to share the RB with Valencia and Young is not going to be a bad window at all.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We also got Blind and Darmian and possibly Shaw - 3 players who might leave this summer. We need to replace the numbers just to keep the squad healthy. I would say a new CB, LB and RB are a must if these 3 leave. Whether it's 3 new signings, or 1-2 new and 1-2 academy players it's anybody's guess, but I would say Toby + LB and TMF coming back to share the RB with Valencia and Young is not going to be a bad window at all.
We’ve signed a new centreback the last two summers.

We’ve already got Smalling, Jones, Bailey, Rojo and Lindelof.

I agree we will upgrade the fullback positions though.

Momochiru

We’ve signed a new centreback the last two summers.

We’ve already got Smalling, Jones, Bailey, Rojo and Lindelof.

I agree we will upgrade the fullback positions though.
I know we signed Lindelof last summer, but that was to provide depth to the CB position, since ours get injured all the time. If Blind leaves, than we need to sign a new CB just to keep the same depth.

MadDogg

I know we signed Lindelof last summer, but that was to provide depth to the CB position, since ours get injured all the time. If Blind leaves, than we need to sign a new CB just to keep the same depth.
Has Blind even played at centreback under Mourinho? He hasn't been a factor in that position, he seems to be looked at as a leftback.

Status
Not open for further replies.