Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

renatosanches85

Next season should be Valencia/TFM, Alderweireld, Bailly, Alex Sandro across the back four.

Get Milinkovic-Savic in beside Pogba and Matic.

Sanchez on the right, Martial/Rashford on the left, Lukaku up top.

It's the defence needs work. Jose has said as much.

Godfather

Next season should be Valencia/TFM, Alderweireld, Bailly, Alex Sandro across the back four.

Lord have mercy

Judas

Open to offers
I'd be absolutely furious if we go into next season with Valencia starting and a kid as his backup being our main options. It's unthinkable, and I'm baffled anyone would settle for that.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I believe you've had a bit of a mare there. The OP said he didn't remember anybody labeling Blind a disaster, to which I replied that if I had have been on the board then I would have labelled him a disaster. As it was quite obvious he could not defend one vs one or in the box.

I do remember that noodleboy or whatever their username is shared a similar sentiment not to far back.
Im having a mare? :lol: feck me you must have a sheltered life if you think Daley Blind has been a disaster.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It is crazy that Ajax team we played in the Europa league knockouts the year before Sir Alex left had Toby in it. But somehow we missed out on Vertonghen, Alderweireld and ended up with a player infinitely worse in Dailey Blind who turned out to be a total disaster for us playing at CB in LVG's final year.
Blind total disaster :lol:

Sanche7

I'd be absolutely furious if we go into next season with Valencia starting and a kid as his backup being our main options. It's unthinkable, and I'm baffled anyone would settle for that.
Oh get ready to be furious because going by speculation and rumours it's going to be just a LB.
Whether that's because we don't have the money or because there are no good players available, I don't know but I expect just 3 signings - LB, CB, CM
Maybe a winger if Martial leaves, that's it
Also we have tons of meh options in RB
Valencia, Young, Bailly, Lindelof and TFM and so I think we will make do with that
As Mourinho said in some interview, we will compete on all fronts by 2020,because only in the next window do I expect us to add a RW, RB and CM

A-man

It's a problem position however you look at it; we've a lot of good/decent CBs but no top quality ones. Our best one is probably Jones and he's a sick note. Bailly and Rojo both have plenty of ability but are prone to mistakes, they're as hot and cold as they come. Smalling can defend but apart from that he's nowhere near where we need to be, can't play out from the back/organise the rest of the defence and he's our most senior CB.

We lack leaders and players capable of playing out from the back which limits the sort of football we can play, no one can organise the backline and it's clear as day that it needs upgrading. For the last couple of years we've had a low number of goals conceded, not due to the quality of defence but due to a combination of de Gea (let's not kid ourselves, without him we could easily have conceded another 10 or so goals) and playing defensively. City have least goals conceded, by the way.

A few teams around us have quietly (or not so quietly) been building very good defences; Liverpool have Van Dijk, Robertson and Clyne who are all very solid players, TAA also looks promising. City have Mendy, Kompany, Otamendi and Walker with some very good back ups in Stones and Laporte. Tottenham may lose Alderweireld but already have Vertonghen and Sanchez along with some solid full backs in Davies, Rose and Trippier. Chelsea have Rudiger, Christensen, Alonso, Azpilicueta and are linked with Koulibaly. On paper I'd say that our defence may be starting to fall behind.

We need to be careful by saying "well we've conceded least goals so CBs are fine" but in my opinion they're very clearly not fine, I think our defence needs reshaping big time but it's tricky doing it all at once. Years of neglect have left us with two ageing wingers as our first choice full backs and an endless string of rotating CB partnerships that change weekly due to injuries/form/mistakes whatever.
I both agree and don’t. Conceded goals over a season is somehow a measure of how well the defence works. Of course DDG is part of that, which is the reason I believe it is better defence wise to increase his salary instead of buying even more CB.

I see the problem that they only rotate one CB spot because Smalling gets to play every match. That is not going to work if all stay fit.

I believe the reason for the CBs not playing out more from the back is because of tactics. Mata and sometimes Pogba and Herrera staying so deep there is no room left for the CB to play the ball to other than closest midfielder.

Compared to their other top PL teams I wouldn’t say the CB is a problem, it is more the fullbacks. And tactics.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Anyone else feel like this transfer just makes too much sense to happen?

Minimalist

I won't pretend I watch Spurs enough to know if he's legit top drawer. Certainly (prior to this season) looking at his appearances, he looks more reliable than any of our centre-backs bar Smalling. I'd be happy with that alone.

Is he just being relegated this season due to the contract issue?

Redderp

I won't pretend I watch Spurs enough to know if he's legit top drawer. Certainly (prior to this season) looking at his appearances, he looks more reliable than any of our centre-backs bar Smalling. I'd be happy with that alone.

Is he just being relegated this season due to the contract issue?
No, he has been out for a long time with a hamstring injury and still out of form. Looked really bad when he came back, but had a good game recently against Brighton.

He is legit one of the best CBs in the world when he is in form. It would be a no-brainer to buy him if the price is right and he wasn’t injured. The injury definitely complicates things, because who knows if he will go back to being a top CB or if the injuries will get to him.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don’t see us spending money on a CB.

We’ve just given Rojo a new contract and have Smalling, Jones, Bailey and Lindelof.

The priorities this summer is at fullback, in midfield and possibly a genuine winger if Martial demands a move.
Agreed 100%.
Why would we waste money on another CB, when we have other areas which need strengthening...especially if next season we are genuinely going for the league title?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Agreed 100%.
Why would we waste money on another CB, when we have other areas which need strengthening...especially if next season we are genuinely going for the league title?
I think in terms of challenging for the league, having a real leader at CB is an absolute must. Despite the numbers we have, our options there are still rather mediocre and none of them exudes that sense of responsibility, character and leadership that we've had there during our previous successes. I'm not saying Alderweireld is the answer, there are obvious doubts about his form and fitness - but I don't see us winning the league with our current options so I'd say it's an obvious area to target.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

The defense won't provide us with the 20-30 more goals we will need to win the league next year.

Sanche7

The defense won't provide us with the 20-30 more goals we will need to win the league next year.
Maybe not directly, but if we become more secure at the back, then Jose might change his tactics or play a bit more adventurous brand of football.
Also quality FBs providing width and accurate crosses would help both Lukaku and our wingers, especially Sanchez
I believe that two top FBs who can provide width and an experienced ball playing CB will help us way more than adding a Griezmann / Dybala while persisting with Young/Valencia

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Maybe not directly, but if we become more secure at the back, then Jose might change his tactics or play a bit more adventurous brand of football.
Also quality FBs providing width and accurate crosses would help both Lukaku and our wingers, especially Sanchez
I believe that two top FBs who can provide width and an experienced ball playing CB will help us way more than adding a Griezmann / Dybala while persisting with Young/Valencia
That could be, be we still don't have the world class player we need to push us to the next level in attach. Think RVN circa 2003 or Zlatan of 5 years ago.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That could be, be we still don't have the world class player we need to push us to the next level in attach. Think RVN circa 2003 or Zlatan of 5 years ago.
I fear that was meant to be Sanchez, although he hasn't performed anywhere near world class level yet.

Swift Football

Looks to me that Spurs are looking to sell him. I am not sure why they have not played him much. Its a big risk for buying club given he has not even played few matches after the injury.

As much as I like Alderweireld, I think it does not make sense to take risk with his injuries given our history/record with our CB's injuries. It will be sick if we need to continue playing Smalling and Lindelof with our other Centre halves Rojo ( 20M), Baily (38M), Jones ( 19M) and Toby(35M) in the treatment table ( thats a total of 112M)

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Looks to me that Spurs are looking to sell him. I am not sure why they have not played him much. Its a big risk for buying club given he has not even played few matches after the injury.

As much as I like Alderweireld, I think it does not make sense to take risk with his injuries given our history/record with our CB's injuries. It will be sick if we need to continue playing Smalling and Lindelof with our other Centre halves Rojo ( 20M), Baily (38M), Jones ( 19M) and Toby(35M) in the treatment table ( thats a total of 112M)
Why whats wrong with Smalling and Lindelof?

A-man

No, he has been out for a long time with a hamstring injury and still out of form. Looked really bad when he came back, but had a good game recently against Brighton.

He is legit one of the best CBs in the world when he is in form. It would be a no-brainer to buy him if the price is right and he wasn’t injured. The injury definitely complicates things, because who knows if he will go back to being a top CB or if the injuries will get to him.
I would say it is a big risk. Hamstring injuries seldom come alone, they seem to haunt some players. And this was not his first.

Why whats wrong with Smalling and Lindelof?
Very relevant question. Smalling has been good this season. Ok he is not the technical ball playing CB but he has on the other hand scored some important goals as a bonus to his defence work. Lindelöf has been looking good the last months and was even Man of the match against Arsenal.

Trizy

If Spurs are selling either way, Liverpool of all teams should go bald headed for him.

Ashley R1+O

Im having a mare? :lol: feck me you must have a sheltered life if you think Daley Blind has been a disaster.
Yes, I believe you did have a bit of a mare there as you didn't understand what I had replied to, was just pointing that out for your reference. Not really a sheltered life, no. I watched United that season and I'm just describing what I saw. Thankfully for us Jose can see a oncoming trainwreck of a defender a mile away and he's barely played for us there since and now it looks like he's leaving the club. I'm not sure there is much more to say there than why would Jose play a defender who can't defend?

AgentP

Yes. I've just labelled him, a disaster. As I would have done if I had signed up on the forum in LVG's last season. I also like him, but Smalling spent much of that season babysitting him for the fact that he could not defend one vs one and track players in the box for toffee. Culpable for a good 8-12 goals, three on one crucial night alone at the pointy end of the season.

We moved on, and sharpish. Jose know's his defenders who can actually defend and I am glad that he does.
Which match was that?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes, I believe you did have a bit of a mare there as you didn't understand what I had replied to, was just pointing that out for your reference. Not really a sheltered life, no. I watched United that season and I'm just describing what I saw. Thankfully for us Jose can see a oncoming trainwreck of a defender a mile away and he's barely played for us there since and now it looks like he's leaving the club. I'm not sure there is much more to say there than why would Jose play a defender who can't defend?
I don't think that's great logic to go by. Rojo was a great cb for us last season and hasn't had a look on this season either.

AgentP

What exactly was the nature of Alderweireld's injury? It has kept him out for almost a year. It can't just be a hamstring problem. Looks like Spurs don't want to play him anymore as he is set to leave.

Trizy

What exactly was the nature of Alderweireld's injury? It has kept him out for almost a year. It can't just be a hamstring problem. Looks like Spurs don't want to play him anymore as he is set to leave.
He's not that injury prone, ignore the Caf over exaggerating.

He pulled his hammy vs Madrid in the group stages and was out for 4 weeks or so. During that time he refused to sign a contract with Spurs and thus was frozen out. He's not still injured.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think that's great logic to go by. Rojo was a great cb for us last season and hasn't had a look on this season either.
Rojo has never been great for us buddy . He had a good run of about a dozen games where he was fortunate not to be red carded a couple times. This season he’s been recovering from an ACL rupture.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rojo has never been great for us buddy . He had a good run of about a dozen games where he was fortunate not to be red carded a couple times. This season he’s been recovering from an ACL rupture.
He's been fit and training with the squad for quite a while. Hasn't featured.

nazanto

How bout his injuries record? We have a quite a list of injury prone CB in our ranks atm. Toby is class when he is on form but I think if we going to add another CB, he better be someone who can rely on to be fit.

JohnLocke

How bout his injuries record? We have a quite a list of injury prone CB in our ranks atm. Toby is class when he is on form but I think if we going to add another CB, he better be someone who can rely on to be fit.
It's not that bad actually, as @Trizy said above.

I thought he was a bit of crock as well, but looking at his injury record it isn't bad at all. Hamstring seems to be giving him a bit of trouble but don't know if it's an ongoing thing.

https://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/4257/toby__alderweireld_injury.html

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Looks to me that Spurs are looking to sell him. I am not sure why they have not played him much. ...
It's not so much that we're looking to sell him, it's more he hasn't signed the new and improved contract that's on offer.

So given that he'll turn 30 next season, that Sanchez has played well in his stead and looks to be a very able long-term replacement, and also given the knock-on effects across the whole squad of acceding to his huge wage demands, Spurs would prefer to sell him rather than pay what he's currently asking for.

He may change his mind yet and sign the new contract, but it's looking less likely than the alternative.

In the meantime, Pochettino has chosen to further bed-in Sanchez rather than give playing time to someone who is less than fully-committed to the club.

Swift Football

It's not so much that we're looking to sell him, it's more he hasn't signed the new and improved contract that's on offer.

So given that he'll turn 30 next season, that Sanchez has played well in his stead and looks to be a very able long-term replacement, and also given the knock-on effects across the whole squad of acceding to his huge wage demands, Spurs would prefer to sell him rather than pay what he's currently asking for.

He may change his mind yet and sign the new contract, but it's looking less likely than the alternative.

In the meantime, Pochettino has chosen to further bed-in Sanchez rather than give playing time to someone who is less than fully-committed to the club.
So in short, Spurs are looking to sell him for so and so reasons rather than gambling and hoping he will sign extension sometime next season.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So in short, Spurs are looking to sell him for so and so reasons rather than gambling and hoping he will sign extension sometime next season.
Yes. Moreover we'll get more if we sell him now than when his release clause kicks in next year.

Swift Football

Yes. Moreover we'll get more if we sell him now than when his release clause kicks in next year.
Hope its not us who will take risks for a player who has just come back from a major injury (although he is great) and give you money to bring more than able replacement like De Ligt.

Status
Not open for further replies.