Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

stepic

I would love him but not at the expense of a RB. If it’s a choice between RB and CB, it’s the former every time.

IF that is not major injury, then what is? Break leg into 10 pieces?!! Ffs. And there were some news that said he tweaked the same muscle before JUventus second leg.
3 months out with a pulled hammy a "major injury"... get a grip man.

A major injury is a broken ankle, broken leg, ACL or other ligament rupture etc etc... not something that happened to Ryan Giggs and Michael Owen 3 times a season during their early twenties.

RU Devil

It's not so much that we're looking to sell him, it's more he hasn't signed the new and improved contract that's on offer.

So given that he'll turn 30 next season, that Sanchez has played well in his stead and looks to be a very able long-term replacement, and also given the knock-on effects across the whole squad of acceding to his huge wage demands, Spurs would prefer to sell him rather than pay what he's currently asking for.

He may change his mind yet and sign the new contract, but it's looking less likely than the alternative.

In the meantime, Pochettino has chosen to further bed-in Sanchez rather than give playing time to someone who is less than fully-committed to the club.
Makes complete sense. Toby is better than Sanchez, but if he's looking to get out, might as well force feed his replacement and accelerate his learning curve. It's not like starting Sanchez over Toby cost them the PL title. By the time Toby was ready, the title was done & dusted, although it maybe cost them advancement in the Champions League. TBF, I think that was a miscalculation on Poch's part, unless Toby really wasn't ready.

Given the current landscape of the PL, we'd be crazy not to sign him. Yeah, our stable of CB's are good defenders, but none can really prompt the offense like Alderweireld. Biggest question mark for me is whether Jose would be comfortable with Alderweireld doing it.

Inter Yer Nan

Next season should be Valencia/TFM, Alderweireld, Bailly, Alex Sandro across the back four.

Get Milinkovic-Savic in beside Pogba and Matic.

Sanchez on the right, Martial/Rashford on the left, Lukaku up top.

It's the defence needs work. Jose has said as much.
I think Sanchez will be on the left.

I'd like to see it work with that top three though and though I haven't seen a great deal of Milinkovic-Savic the reviews seem great and what little I have seen I've been impressed and he could really make us a dominant midfield.

Ideally we would replace Valencia with Fabinho or someone of that caliber but to see 4 or 5 changes to the regular XI with new players seems a stretch and is usually hard to integrate.

It was actually 4 months, if I am not wrong and like I said there was concerns that he tweaked the same muscle again. As per you what is major injury besides a leg break?
Injured on November 1st. Started on Feb 7th vs. Newport so had no doubt been back in full training for a couple of weeks before then, meaning less than 3 months actually.

A major injury is a break, an ACL or other ligament rupture, dislocated ankle or knee etc etc... not something that happened to Ryan Giggs and Michael Owen 3 times a season during their early twenties or that has happened to Pogba two or three times already since re-joining United.

Last edited:

Swift Football

Injured on November 1st. Started on Feb 7th vs. Newport so had no doubt been back in full training for a couple of weeks before then, meaning less than 3 months actually.

A major injury is a break, an ACL or other ligament rupture, dislocated ankle or knee etc etc... not something that happened to Ryan Giggs and Michael Owen 3 times a season during their early twenties or that has happened to Pogba two or three times already since re-joining United.
I think you are mistaken in thinking all hamstring injuries are same. There can be a pull, tear, or just a bruise in same set of hamstrings and hence the severity depends on the degree of strain or tear. You can compare Ousmane Dembele's injury against Pogba's. I am not sure if Toby went through surgery, did he? but he missed good portion of season. And since he has not played much, we cannot be sure if it is non recurring. The major issue with these hamstring problems are some are recurring.

poleglass red

I like the idea of Alderweireld or someone of his ilk. An established player who can come in and settle our back 4. Guys like Bailly, Smalling, Jones and Rojo are all capable of having great games but the consistency isn't there. Same even within 90 mins, they are always liable to make 1 big mistake. Having a steady influence, I think would bring the best out of each of them and eradcate that rashness that they all seem to display at times. I think back to how good and steady Evans looked alongside Vidic during that run when we broke the clean sheets record. Vidic brought the best out of him. I think Toby could have a similiar influence for us

Swift Football

I don’t think all hamstring injuries are the same.

Anyway, keep with your drama queen rhetoric as you appear to do in most threads, let’s call a pulled hammy a major injury and move on.
wow ..what a comeback. and you seem to have a good grasp on hamstring injuries :lol:( just like you pretend in almost all other threads)

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's been fit and training with the squad for quite a while. Hasn't featured.
I’d imagine he’s nowhere near match fitness my friend and it was a struggle to put him in during crucial run in. He’s not really good enough (imo) to warrant getting game time over any centre back when not fully fit (match fit). So we may or may not see him next season but wouldn’t surprise me if he left in the summer due to being a squad player and to be honest it’s not going to hamper us in the slightest.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think all hamstring injuries are the same.

Anyway, keep with your drama queen rhetoric as you appear to do in most threads, let’s call a pulled hammy a major injury and move on.
Happy to talk anyone through different hamstring injuries. Grading, what actual hamstring (3 of them) likely to be, common sights of injury and injury mechanisms if anyone is that bored.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Does he instantly improve our defense? Yes. Now the question is price, Id imagine Spurs will take 40mil for him. Some of that can be recouped with the sale of Darmien and Blind.

Ljungster

Happy to talk anyone through different hamstring injuries. Grading, what actual hamstring (3 of them) likely to be, common sights of injury and injury mechanisms if anyone is that bored.
I'm a physio so I would consider myself that bored :) But yes, all hamstrings injuries isn't the same. They can vary a lot both regarding the actual injury but also regarding the time to return to play.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I'm a physio so I would consider myself that bored :) But yes, all hamstrings injuries isn't the same. They can vary a lot both regarding the actual injury but also regarding the time to return to play.
Yeah but Alderweireld's been back for quite some time, the reason he isnt playing much is because Spurs are resigned to losing him so they are moving forward with the Sanchez project. Sanchez isnt in Alderweirelds league, not to say he wont be once he matures, hes looked good tbf for a 21 y/o CB. But the reason he is getting games is because Toby must be off. Spurs have another really young CB as well dont they, some Chilean kid?

A-man

The article below is from roughly one month ago. I wonder if this is true that he is not good enough or if he is benched because he isn’t part of the plan? But if you want money for a player, he needs to play.

Finally the conversation turned to Toby Alderweireld. Twelve months ago, any conversation about the world’s best centre-halves would have to include the Belgian, who at the age of 28 was at the very peak of his powers. Now, Alderweireld can’t even get into the Spurs team. Having missed three months of the season with a hamstring injury, Alderweireld has failed to force his way back into the side. Since returning to training, his only games have been in the FA Cup against Newport and Rochdale. And for the first time, Pochettino has admitted that his exclusion is on footballing rather than fitness grounds.

“I need to pick the players that I believe are the best players to win against Chelsea, and then against Stoke,” he said. “I cannot play with more than 11, and you need to choose. I agree that players need to play and compete. But for me, first of all, every single player needs to show in the training session that they are better than their team-mate. And then, at that moment, I pick.”
The clock is ticking on this one, and in more than one sense. Earlier this week, after a rusty-looking display in Belgium’s friendly against Saudi Arabia, his international manager Roberto Martinez warned Alderweireld that he needed a regular run of games in order to be sure of his place at this summer’s World Cup. “Seven weeks,” Martinez said, “is not a lot of time. For certain players, playing time is not essential. But other players who have not played that much – and Toby can be one of those – it is important.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...spell-run-its-course-pochettino-a8282111.html

The article below is from roughly one month ago. I wonder if this is true that he is not good enough or if he is benched because he isn’t part of the plan? But if you want money for a player, he needs to play.
Nar, even if he's frozen out till the end of the season (he will be), there will be a few sides willing to spend £35m on Alderweireld.

It's a smart play from Poch and a regular tactic for him, although he could've done with an in-form Alderweireld versus us at Wembley so there's that…

A-man

Nar, even if he's frozen out till the end of the season (he will be), there will be a few sides willing to spend £35m on Alderweireld.

It's a smart play from Poch and a regular tactic for him, although he could've done with an in-form Alderweireld versus us at Wembley so there's that…
True in this case, but if he would make it to the WC or not might influence his value.

What do you mean with "smart play from Poch and a regular tactic for him"? That this put pressure on players to sign contracts?

True in this case, but if he would make it to the WC or not might influence his value.
Martinez can say what he likes, behind closed doors he knows Alderweireld is 100% going to the WC and will start for his Belgium side.

What do you mean with "smart play from Poch and a regular tactic for him"? That this put pressure on players to sign contracts?
Well it does one of two things, it either pressures the player to sign an extension else risk wasting half a season (or more) on the bench, else it's great for team spirit going forward, as in, if you're not with us…

A-man

Well it does one of two things, it either pressures the player to sign an extension else risk wasting half a season (or more) on the bench, else it's great for team spirit going forward, as in, if you're not with us…
The downside is that no agent would recommend or want his players to go to such club.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Yes they would. Poch is very fair to his players, but if you don't want to be there, someone else will take your job and you'll be shipped on. You think Kyle Walker's agent was upset? feck no!
Exactly, rubbing his hands together, his agent fees would have been decent on the back of a 50mil move or w/e City ended up paying.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah he's a good player and all, but do we even need him at this point ?

Yes our CBs are not the greatest, however, we still need to buy fullbacks, which I feel, are more of a priority. Overhauling the whole defence will cost a lot of money, and might destabilise it as well.
We don't need new defender in quantity but we really need defender like toby. Leader defender. He is better than any our defender and will go straight in first 11

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Yeah but Alderweireld's been back for quite some time, the reason he isnt playing much is because Spurs are resigned to losing him so they are moving forward with the Sanchez project. Sanchez isnt in Alderweirelds league, not to say he wont be once he matures, hes looked good tbf for a 21 y/o CB. But the reason he is getting games is because Toby must be off. Spurs have another really young CB as well dont they, some Chilean kid?
Argentinian: Juan Foyth, aged 20, signed last summer. He plays for Argentine U-20s. Has made 9 appearances for Spurs so far, all cup competitions.

Murray3007

good defender but not sure i would sign him this summer, would prob need replacing in a couple seasons, would much rather sign someone around 25/26, hamstring injurys as you get older as always worrying and even when he has played this season he didnt look as good as the last few seasons although it could be his mind is on his next move. bit like how Sanchez was at Arsenal.

BlahRules

good defender but not sure i would sign him this summer, would prob need replacing in a couple seasons, would much rather sign someone around 25/26, hamstring injurys as you get older as always worrying and even when he has played this season he didnt look as good as the last few seasons although it could be his mind is on his next move. bit like how Sanchez was at Arsenal.
A defender that can organise the defence and keep everyone at bey is a rare skill set. He can also teach the younger defenders and also his skill set can be rubbed off to others. We have outstanding youngsters who will grow and then can take the mantel off him when he declines.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is 29, so he can easily offer more than 2 seasons.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
He is 29 not 65 ffs

AP88

Supports
Man City
Best defender in the league and potentially even Europe (yes, he’s that good) is available for around £40m - surely this will be a priority.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'd take him for sure. Jones is probably the most likely to go for us unless Bailly is really out of favour already (assuming we're actually in for Toby). The fear is if we don't go for him and say, Liverpool do? Alderweireld & van Dijk could actually end up being the best pairing in the League. Not that I think we should buy players so other clubs don't get them, he'd make us stronger too IMO. I think Chelsea will have a look, maybe even Real Madrid, PSG etc too.

Clas Sified

Martinez can say what he likes, behind closed doors he knows Alderweireld is 100% going to the WC and will start for his Belgium side.

Not to be pedantic, but if Alderweireld is not only rusty but also unfit at the WC, surely Martinez can easily leave him on the bench and start with Vertonghen and Kompany at the back?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
thats great but hes been poor this season the games he has played.
So why didnt you just say so? Instead of saying we should sign someone who is 25/26.

Besides, I disagree about him bad this season. He had injuries this season, an ongoing contract dispute which has kept him out of the team - thats the main part.

Murray3007

So why didnt you just say so? Instead of saying we should sign someone who is 25/26.

Besides, I disagree about him bad this season. He had injuries this season, an ongoing contract dispute which has kept him out of the team - thats the main part.
because i think we should sign someone who is 25/26 instead of him. if thats the standard you think is fine then thats up to you, but at Manchester United i would be expecting better to improve the squad, also the fact hes been out for a 3/4 months with a hamstring injury aint good either, we have enough players who get injured quite alot especially CB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.