Toby Alderweireld

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Europa league is for one season. And would he rather win a European title or win nowt in the CL? If you gave players the choice of a Europa league medal and nothing. What do you think they would pick? Yes, it's a set back not being in the CL. But all 3 domestic trophies and a European title is up for grabs, not to mention playing football for one of the biggest clubs in the world and earning 10 million a year in the process.
You just proved my point perfectly. One season? How can you know that? We aren't guaranteed top 4 or winning the EL.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
18 days left till Toby cannot be sold for just 25 million.

Suvvernmanc

18 days left till Toby cannot be sold for just 25 million.
Without scrolling back through loads of pages of people arguing with you, is it your opinion that he is going to see his contract out and leave next summer?

I'm sure clubs have enquired for him, £25m is a steel, but why he hasn't gone is surprising to me.

beingshe7don

I think getting Toby and Maguire would boost our defense tremendously with Lindelof and Tuanzebe more than capable backups.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think getting Toby and Maguire would boost our defense tremendously with Lindelof and Tuanzebe more than capable backups.
We'd have to find buyers for 2 of Rojo, Jones and Smalling. That's the only flaw in that plan.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Without scrolling back through loads of pages of people arguing with you, is it your opinion that he is going to see his contract out and leave next summer?

I'm sure clubs have enquired for him, £25m is a steel, but why he hasn't gone is surprising to me.
I'm not sure, but at this stage it seems more likely than not.

I'd think his wage demands and desired contract length may well have put off clubs that have enquired.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
But isnt it 9 months before Spurs wont receive a fee at all..
Yes … but in that event we'll also have saved around £15m in wages that Toby could have earned from Spurs had he signed the new contract when offered.

beingshe7don

We'd have to find buyers for 2 of Rojo, Jones and Smalling. That's the only flaw in that plan.
I think we've been looking to sell Rojo and Jones. So it might be possible but then again our management manages to complicate the simplest of things.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Really strange situation, I think he will see his contract out and go back to Ajax at this point, cost us peanuts and certainly got value from him. Ajax get the player for free and are able to offer him good wages on a 3 year contract.

Irwin99

Really strange situation, I think he will see his contract out and go back to Ajax at this point, cost us peanuts and certainly got value from him. Ajax get the player for free and are able to offer him good wages on a 3 year contract.
I'm surprised we aren't in for him given the glazernomics we usually work with and with Leicester seemingly wanting way more than Maguire is worth. Played very well with the rest of your defence in the CL final too, it's not his fault your attacking players didn't turn up. A very good player.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm surprised we aren't in for him given the glazernomics we usually work with and with Leicester seemingly wanting way more than Maguire is worth. Played very well with the rest of your defence in the CL final too, it's not his fault your attacking players didn't turn up. A very good player.
Yeah I’ve never questioned his ability and how well him and Verts work in a pairing.

dbs235

All the links seem to be Roma, I don't get why he'd want to leave Spurs for them?

Teja

It seems unlikely that Spurs (or any other PL team) cannot afford to match the wages / transfer fee that Roma is paying. This is a really weird one, why aren't we in for him if his wage demands aren't something ridiculous like > 300k p / w?

IrishRedDevil

Toby Alderweireld is allowed to leave Spurs for £25m, provided his transfer is completed at least 14 days prior to the close of the summer transfer window. Payment made in no more than 3 installments, over no more than 2 years.

Apparently available for £25m up to the 26th July.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Don't get the Roma link at all.

Surely the point of all this is so he can get one last big contract. There's no way an Italian club (let alone Roma) are offering stupid wages to a 30+ year old CB.

finneh

Surely the point of all this is so he can get one last big contract. There's no way an Italian club (let alone Roma) are offering stupid wages to a 30+ year old CB.
Possiblity they're offering a 5 year deal whereas other options are only 3 years? Does seem strange though.

Le Red

Can someone explain to me why people slate Maguire for his speed yet no one cares about the fact Alder moves like a mummy?

IrishRedDevil

Can someone explain to me why people slate Maguire for his speed yet no one cares about the fact Alder moves like a mummy?
One is available for £25m via a release clause, while the other one is being valued at £80/90m and Leicester are digging in and will try and drag it right to the deadline.

Alderweireld isn’t perfect, but he would be a decent short term solution for a couple of years that would add much needed experience.

SambaBoy

I think OGS has decided against this one. We have been linked with him every window quite strongly with the exception of this one. The rumours were that we would wait till this summer to activate the release clause but there has been no strong links this time around.

OGS probably doesn't want to fall into the trap of signing players around the age of 30 on big contracts as it has stung us before. I'd imagine Alderweireld would demand a long contract 4-5 years on big big wages. He's already started to show signs of decline, more injuries, looking a bit slower but he's still a very good player and one of the best defenders in the PL so for £25m you can't really argue.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
Put me down in the group that doesn't understand why more big clubs haven't been in for him. I realize that not everyone needs a center back, but United could really use him as a cheap upgrade to get back into champions league and become a more attractive option for the really elite players. I'm really surprised that Arsenal isn't after him. It looks like his transfer fee would only cost about 8 million for this year, and you'd think that they could exceed Roma's wages. He also seems like he would fit in well at City and Barcelona, who look likely to miss out on their top cb targets.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I’d prefer 25m for Alderweireld rather than 80/90m for Maguire, it’s no brainer.

JEredDevil

Actually how true is it that his release clause is 25mill. Has anyone confirmed it?

RedCurry

Bring him in and manage his workload. Strictly play him in only Premier League next season, rest him for some winnable ones while giving the likes of Axel a chance.

He’d give at least two or three good seasons to any team he joins.

Dan_F

Isn’t he short, slow and injury prone? At least Magiure will start every game, help us defend set pieces (which has been a weakness for years) and is good at bringing the ball out.

Surely it’s better to bring in someone who has attributes we lack, than basically a copy of what we already have in Lindelof.

Zed 101

Put me down in the group that doesn't understand why more big clubs haven't been in for him. I realize that not everyone needs a center back, but United could really use him as a cheap upgrade to get back into champions league and become a more attractive option for the really elite players. I'm really surprised that Arsenal isn't after him. It looks like his transfer fee would only cost about 8 million for this year, and you'd think that they could exceed Roma's wages. He also seems like he would fit in well at City and Barcelona, who look likely to miss out on their top cb targets.
If reports are to be believed he wants wages of 300k+ per week not many clubs can live with that for their star players let alone an CB nearing the end of his career.... why do you think Spurs have not re-signed him

Eric's Seagull

If reports are to be believed he wants wages of 300k+ per week not many clubs can live with that for their star players let alone an CB nearing the end of his career.... why do you think Spurs have not re-signed him
That is a heck of a lot in wages. Would have taken him if we could get 3 years out of him but for those wages he can jog on.

he will be asking for a combination of big wages, big signing on fee and a long contract - probably 4/5 years.

So even if he’s not on mega wages, is he going to be worth those wages in 3-5 years time, when he’s unlikely to be a first team player at whatever club he goes to? You are committing to £150k at least for a player who will be 33-35...

I’d be happy to take him on a 2+1 year deal. But I can’t imagine that’s attractive to him, and therin lies the problem.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
If he is holding out for 300k, then there's no way he's going to Roma. Frankly, I don't believe he is holding out for that much, as it's about 50% higher than what Van Dijk is on, and Roma's interest would've been rebuffed before it even made the news. Is there a single center back on the planet making that type of money?

I don't think he's signed for Spurs because they don't really pay competitive wages. I believe the contract extensions they've offered him were more in the 130-150K range. If put on a 3-year contract, I think he is worth close to 200K. He might also be able to negotiate a signing on fee of 5 million pounds or so. I think it would be worth it for him to hold out for that if money is important, as it seems reasonable to think he could get that from someone like United, City, Barca, or Juventus.

I'm generally not a fan of signing older players, but center backs tend to have a little more career longevity than most other positions, and there's a real dearth of quality options out there right now, even for big money.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We could potentially go Milenkovic + Alderweireld for the same price as Maguire. Will allow us to let Tuanzebe go back on loan, get a full prem season and get rid of one CB.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If he is holding out for 300k, then there's no way he's going to Roma. Frankly, I don't believe he is holding out for that much, as it's about 50% higher than what Van Dijk is on, and Roma's interest would've been rebuffed before it even made the news. Is there a single center back on the planet making that type of money?

I don't think he's signed for Spurs because they don't really pay competitive wages. I believe the contract extensions they've offered him were more in the 130-150K range. If put on a 3-year contract, I think he is worth close to 200K. He might also be able to negotiate a signing on fee of 5 million pounds or so. I think it would be worth it for him to hold out for that if money is important, as it seems reasonable to think he could get that from someone like United, City, Barca, or Juventus.

I'm generally not a fan of signing older players, but center backs tend to have a little more career longevity than most other positions, and there's a real dearth of quality options out there right now, even for big money.
He’s not worth paying more than VVD, especially on a long term deal at his age.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
He’s not worth paying more than VVD, especially on a long term deal at his age.
I completely agree. My point was that he is likely worth more than what Tottenham were offering him, especially when you consider that he would bank some money from a signing bonus.

Yidarmy

Supports
Tottenham
I doubt very much Roma can a) afford him without selling players as its not just the £25m transfer fee but the 4 year contract he'll want costing a further £30-35m, b) Will Toby actually want to go to Roma

Think he will stay at Spurs and be a free Agent Next Summer, in all honesty at 30 he'll want CL football and can't see anyone better than us coming in for him in CL this season, no brainer if I were Levy as even if he was to accept a new contract that would probably cost a further £5m a season and it gives the likes of youngsters Sanchez and Foyth another year to develop

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
150k, 4 year contract, why not? I'd rather be giving that sort of deal out to him than Rojo or even Jones.

Havak

Pokemon master
We could potentially go Milenkovic + Alderweireld for the same price as Maguire. Will allow us to let Tuanzebe go back on loan, get a full prem season and get rid of one CB.
I'm not sure how true it is, but I believe that Tuanzebe has said he wants to stay at United and try to break into the first-team squad (part of the reason why he signed the extension this month). He doesn't want to go on loan. I, like you, was hoping he'd do another season on loan at Villa in the PL so we can get an even better view on his ability and it would give us time to rid of some of the defenders we clearly don't want (Darmian, Rojo, maybe Bailly or Jones). It doesn't seem to be the case, but I 100% agree that we can improve our defence more through buying Alderweireld and maybe someone else than spunking £80m~ on Maguire.

150k, 4 year contract, why not? I'd rather be giving that sort of deal out to him than Rojo or even Jones.
I've always thought he was holding out for more like £170-180k a year and pushing for a longer contract, but I think he'd be likely to get a 3+1 at United if we went for the signing. Him going elsewhere at less wages will be because a team is probably offering him 5 years. We're giving Jones £120k a week now, so I don't see why we shouldn't be giving someone like Toby 50% more when he's more than twice as good despite his age.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
All the links seem to be Roma, I don't get why he'd want to leave Spurs for them?

This, Roma? Why? He is in a team that made the CL final. Why would he move to Roma? Spurs can pay as much as Roma in wages with their cap now at 200k a week. Surprised Spurs havnt offered him a 3-4 year contract on around 150k a week. If he goes they will have to bring in a new CB, going into the season with 2 main CB's(Sanchez - Vertonghen), a kid(Foyth) and a part timer(Dier) seems way too short for a club that will want to be competing in the domestic cups, CL and EPL. 1 decent injury to Vertonghen and you have Sanchez who is finding his feet, partnered with Dier or Foyth. Dont Spurs also play 3 at the back in some games?