Toby Alderweireld

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
That’s not a better contract though. You know this.
4 years @150k per week (say) = £31.4m
2 years @ £200 per week = £21M

So yes, the longer contract is significantly better …. especially for a player who turns 31 next season.

izec

We wont be buying him. I dont think we will offer him the wages and length he would want or someone else will, like PSG maybe

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

So yes, the longer contract is significantly better …. especially for a player who turns 31 next season.
Glaston got a pay rise at work. He was getting paid 30k a year working a 40 hour week. Now he's on 32k a year working a 55 hour week. It's a much better contract.

You know he can just sign another contract in 2 years time, right?

Classical Mechanic

It’s a calculated risk isn’t it. Sign the £200k a week contract and bank on wage inflation and still being an important player in 2 years to sign on again at similar or improved terms.

You’d have to be ultra conservative to think the Spurs deal is better.

He’d get a handsome signing on fee with United too I’d expect.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Glaston got a pay rise at work. He was getting paid 30k a year working a 40 hour week. Now he's on 32k a year working a 55 hour week. It's a much better contract.

You know he can just sign another contract in 2 years time, right?
That's a false analogy: Toby would not have to work more hours per week because of having a longer contract.

At his age, you can't bank on being able to sign another lucrative contract in 2 years from now - he could get badly injured or just see his performances fall off a cliff. If he has to choose between £150k per week for 4 years and £200k per week for just two years, it's obvious he'll take the longer contract.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The last thing our squad needs is another creaky 30 year old on big wages. I hope Ole will be smarter in the market than Jose was.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That's a false analogy: Toby would not have to work more hours per week because of having a longer contract.

At his age, you can't bank on being able to sign another lucrative contract in 2 years from now - he could get badly injured or just see his performances fall off a cliff. If he has to choose between £150k per week for 4 years and £200k per week for just two years, it's obvious he'll take the longer contract.
He'd have to work for longer for the same money though.

He doesn't even have to sign a lucrative deal though, does he? He's already earned 2/3rds of what he would have earned with the other contract in half the time. Only now the ball is in his court. If the club still wants him he gets another signing on fee, an increase in wages, or the option to move elsewhere. Sustaining a serious injury is the only real risk. If he has any confidence in his own ability then the 200k a week contract is the more desirable one.

RedNed77

Presumably he’ll want to celebrate his champions league win for a week or so but, when do we realistically think this one will be announced?

jackal&hyde

If we can get him for the reported 25mil then this would be a no brainer. Someone like De Ligt plus Alderweireld would allow us to get rid of dinosaurs like Jones and Smalling. A total transformation of our center backs. De Ligt, Alderweireld and Lindelof the main CDs with Bailey and Tuanzebe in the mix.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Huh? Plenty of 33yo get big contracts everywhere, in fact, being a free agent could mean he gets a massive deal in China or Qatar if his aim is money at that time.

jackal&hyde

Well, if anyone’s getting him, it’s going to be for 25 mil. It’s a release clause, not an estimate.
Then we should get him. Instantly our most complete and experienced center back. His wages would probably be high, but give the low fee and our craptastic current options in this position, it would be worth it.

I think some people are very much underappreciating how much of a difference having 2 center backs that can play football can make on the entire team and style of play.

redshaw

Feels a bit late to sign him now. I suppose if we have a bad transfer window and for some reason he wants to leave then maybe but I feel he'll stay on. He won't be worth the inevitable big wage.

poleglass red

As an addition to the likes of DeLigt perhaps but as a stand-alone deal, no thanks
yup agreed, he has to be in addition to someone. We need 2 central defenders imo anyway. As much as Lindelof improved he still isn't the answer long term. Toby and one big name signing would be sweet.

Seth.R

Wouldn’t mind signing him if we can’t get De Ligt or Koulibaly (can’t see this one happening).

Frees up funds to attack other positions too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Presumably he’ll want to celebrate his champions league win for a week or so but, when do we realistically think this one will be announced?
Apparently he wants to leave on a free so he can get a higher signing on bonus and bigger wages.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think there is a good chance he stays and goes on a free next year, he would get a nice tasty signing on bonus. He made a comment about staying the other day.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
As an addition to the likes of DeLigt perhaps but as a stand-alone deal, no thanks
What’s the logic behind it? Either get 2 top center backs or stay with none? Well, with Lindelöf. I mean surely one is better than none?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What’s the logic behind it? Either get 2 top center backs or stay with none? Well, with Lindelöf. I mean surely one is better than none?
My logic is that I don’t think he’s that much better than what we have anymore. He’s not a leader, vertongin is.
My fear is that if we buy TA then we’ve given up on other better targets

SiRed

Jesus christ

4yrs @ 150k pw = 31.4m
2 years @ 200k pw = 21m

Does he continue playing for free after the 2 year deal expires or something?
Or is it more likely he gets a 1 year extension at a slightly lower wage?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
My logic is that I don’t think he’s that much better than what we have anymore. He’s not a leader, vertongin is.
My fear is that if we buy TA then we’ve given up on other better targets
Do you think there are a lot of options out there? (genuine question, I'm struggling to see many options)
I'm thinking De Ligt and possibly Umtiti if De Ligt goes to Barcelona.
Bar those it seems like Skriniar and Koulibaly have signed new deals & Varane has stated that he wants to stay at Real.

Am I missing someone?

KW2006

I don't mind him. He is a top class defender, maybe the 2nd best (behind VVD) in the Premiership when fit. Yes it is a gamble considering his age, injuries, wage and attitude, but a gamble worth taking for 25m imo.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Do you think there are a lot of options out there? (genuine question, I'm struggling to see many options)
Bar those it seems like Skriniar and Koulibaly have signed new deals & Varane has stated that he wants to stay at Real.

Am I missing someone?
No one except the hugely overrated Manolas

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Am I missing someone?
I’d genuinely go for Maguire before TA. If we couldn’t then I’d play Tunazabe
Umtitis knees are fooked btw

Ekeke

Am I missing someone?
Pezzella, Izzo, Schar, Konate, Maripan, Velazquez to name some others who are better defenders and much younger. Toby better on the ball than most of them.

Theres also a bunch who are more around Toby's age

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Pezzella, Izzo, Schar, Konate, Maripan, Velazquez to name some others who are better defenders and much younger. Toby better on the ball than most of them.

Theres also a bunch who are more around Toby's age
Truth be told, I've never heard of most of those those guys, I think I've heard of Konate and Schar only.
A quick google suggest that they are more in the "might be good enough for the step up" in the case of Pezzella, Izzo, Schar, Maripan & Velazquez, and as such I'd rather we get Alderweireld for 25 million while we look for a more sure-thing for a longterm solution. On top of that Newcastle who have Schar is about to get filthy rich, so selling him if he is as good as you seem to think might not be possible. Konate seems to be a bit young for a prominent leader role, so unless he is a french De Ligt (thinking individual qualities but also leadership qualities) I think he wouldn't be what we need.

Not that I think it's impossible that some of those can be good alternatives, I just struggle to see how they can be on a high enough level to be clearly improving our defense in the way the more high-profile players might do.

LindaChang

Great defender. Wouldnt mind him here but if they manage to win the ucl i dont mind if he doesnt come here and retire at spurs or whatever just please beat liverpool please

Ekeke

Truth be told, I've never heard of most of those those guys, I think I've heard of Konate and Schar only.
A quick google suggest that they are more in the "might be good enough for the step up" in the case of Pezzella, Izzo, Schar, Maripan & Velazquez, and as such I'd rather we get Alderweireld for 25 million while we look for a more sure-thing for a longterm solution. On top of that Newcastle who have Schar is about to get filthy rich, so selling him if he is as good as you seem to think might not be possible. Konate seems to be a bit young for a prominent leader role, so unless he is a french De Ligt (thinking individual qualities but also leadership qualities) I think he wouldn't be what we need.

Not that I think it's impossible that some of those can be good alternatives, I just struggle to see how they can be on a high enough level to be clearly improving our defense in the way the more high-profile players might do.
They all have problems. So does Toby, but the difference is that Toby doesnt have time to come good if he doesnt do the job right away. Same reason Sanchez isnt working out

The other players have time to come good

Sp00ks11

Toby and Maguire would realistically join us (I highly doubt De Ligt will) and are 10x the defenders that the chuckle brothers are! Toby, Maguire and Lindleof competing for the 2 CB positions would be good. With Rojo, Jones and Bailley shown the door. Smalling as a squad option hopefully never to be seen accept in League cup.

Hawks2008

De Ligt is coming so we may not need him, unless we are going to be selling multiple central defenders.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
They all have problems. So does Toby, but the difference is that Toby doesnt have time to come good if he doesnt do the job right away. Same reason Sanchez isnt working out

The other players have time to come good
The club doesn't really have time for them to come good in my opinion. We need someone to perform right out of the gate, if it's a older alternative then we need to make sure we follow every "might be good enough" alternative for a couple of years to make sure it's the right pick.

We have Smalling, Jones & Rojo at 29, 27 & 29 respectively. They were supposed to come good. All of the ones mentioned are also from outside the league and they'll likely need time to adapt to the league. Which again brings me back to feeling like we need someone ready-made to be a starter regardless of age.