Toby Collyer

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We've just signed 18 year old Toby Collyer from Brighton. He's captained England at youth level and is said to be a DM. If anyone would like to share more information on him, please do. @The Boy

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
'One of the best young central midfielders in the country' according to the Secret scout updated tweet, which I've included in the OP now.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
'One of the best young central midfielders in the country' according to the Secret scout updated tweet, which I've included in the OP now.
There doesn’t seem to be all that much info/videos/hype about this guy? Is it an expensive transfer seeing as he’s highly rated or was his contract running down? Always delighted to see fresh youth coming in either way.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good luck Toby, welcome to the club!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There doesn’t seem to be all that much info/videos/hype about this guy? Is it an expensive transfer seeing as he’s highly rated or was his contract running down? Always delighted to see fresh youth coming in either way.
I honestly don't know a lot about him myself mate. He was on trial with us a few weeks back and I'm pretty sure he was also at Chelsea on trial. Not sure what the situation at Brighton was regards his contract.

But from what I've seen online, he wasn't playing much for Brighton's u18s and could well have been sidelined due to his non committal to them. But that's just speculation on my part.

Ali Dia

I honestly don't know a lot about him myself mate. He was on trial with us a few weeks back and I'm pretty sure he was also at Chelsea on trial. Not sure what the situation at Brighton was regards his contract.

But from what I've seen online, he wasn't playing much for Brighton's u18s and could well have been sidelined due to his non committal to them. But that's just speculation on my part.
Interesting. We seem to aiming higher with the U.K. based youth again since Brexit and the new youth scouts arrived. Always pleasing to see us get big talents from London. It’s good to know we are competing well in that area as it’s obviously a very strong talent pool. I’m looking forward to seeing him play for us. Midfielder, hype! :)

Bondi77

It will be interesting to see how he compares to the Norwegian kid

khoazany

Don’t understand this signing tbh. Unless he’s a strong 1st team material we are really stacked on midfield around his age. Maybe we do want to move Svidersky on and get Savage out on loan next season so we do need a DM for U23s. In the 18s we already have to either bench Odeyele or Gore when we have full strength team.

Ali Dia

Don’t understand this signing tbh. Unless he’s a strong 1st team material we are really stacked on midfield around his age. Maybe we do want to move Svidersky on and get Savage out on loan next season so we do need a DM for U23s. In the 18s we already have to either bench Odeyele or Gore when we have full strength team.
England u16 and 17 captain. He’s obviously promising.

KBA

Interesting, he sounds promising from the very little things I have read about him since yesterday.

How does it work in the Academies: Will he be able to move right away, or will it be in the summer transfer window?

Ekeke

Always happy to see signings like this for the youth team, especially someone domestic and doing as well as captaining England at youth levels. If our own young midfielders are good enough to push on they'll relish the competition and outperform him.

I'd rather we have players who might bolster the first team eventually rather than being overly concerned with ones who werent going to make it at United anyway. We signed Pogba when he was France's youth captain too, if this guy turns out even half as good it'll have been a good signing

Crick

Yes, I'm sure I saw Svidersky say he wanted to leave in the summer in December? I can't remember where I saw it. It could have been on Twitter or Reddit, so may just be a rumour. He's out of contract this summer and didn't want to take up the 1 year option we have or extend to go on loan? He just wanted to play senior football and get on with his career. He was disappointed he didn't get called up to the first team under Ole, given our need for a 6. I've seen him linked to Atalanta, Villarreal and clubs in his homeland on a free.

jb8521

He was in the England u19s squad for a training camp last year playing a year up. He can also play at full back & centre half. Only played once for Brighton this season because he didn't want to sign a new contract

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He looks very comfortable on either foot and is pinging passes with comsumate ease with his left or right peg. Looks to be very mobile too, which is something that is important to have in the game today.

Demaw

He looks very comfortable on either foot and is pinging passes with comsumate ease with his left or right peg. Looks to be very mobile too, which is something that is important to have in the game today.

Reminds me of Garner a bit when playing in 18's etc.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

"Brighton wonderkid Toby Collyer is the best defensive midfielder in England at under-18 level".

"That is according to Albion's former under-18 coach Mark Beard, who waxed lyrical about the teenager who is set to sign for Manchester United".

Beaucoup

2nd year. Will be un u23 player next season
Interesting, hope it doesn't block the development of next years 2nd years, although I have a feeling next years U18's will be predominantly 2nd years, after this years poor showing in the league.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
We've just signed 18 year old Toby Collyer from Brighton. He's captained England at youth level and is said to be a DM. If anyone would like to share more information on him, please do. @The Boy

Sorry I haven't been on much recently, and to be honest i don't know a huge amount about Collyer and I've never seen him play, but I have had a good look through North Stand Chat (Brighton's caf)

Apparently very highly rated local lad (which is a real shame for us) and last season played for both U18 and U23 regularly despite his age. Playing mainly as a DM but occasionally also playing as a CB.

His decision to leave is seen as part of a trend sparked by the new Brexit rules that make it very difficult to buy U18s from abroad so more will move to bigger club from UK based clubs.

Also though he maybe seen as very good, it maybe that there's an easier route into your midfield than ours, though we will presumably lose Bissouma in the summer as well as Gross and Lallana (through age) we still have MacAllister, Moder, Mwepu, Alzate, Caicedo and possibly Kozlowski, all full internationals fighting over 2-3 places. Where as it looks like your midfield is getting overhauled.

Kostov

Good luck getting in the team when players like Fred are around. I am not sure what this kid's parents are thinking.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sorry I haven't been on much recently, and to be honest i don't know a huge amount about Collyer and I've never seen him play, but I have had a good look through North Stand Chat (Brighton's caf)

Apparently very highly rated local lad (which is a real shame for us) and last season played for both U18 and U23 regularly despite his age. Playing mainly as a DM but occasionally also playing as a CB.

His decision to leave is seen as part of a trend sparked by the new Brexit rules that make it very difficult to buy U18s from abroad so more will move to bigger club from UK based clubs.

Also though he maybe seen as very good, it maybe that there's an easier route into your midfield than ours, though we will presumably lose Bissouma in the summer as well as Gross and Lallana (through age) we still have MacAllister, Moder, Mwepu, Alzate, Caicedo and possibly Kozlowski, all full internationals fighting over 2-3 places. Where as it looks like your midfield is getting overhauled.
Cheers for the feedback mate.

Ali Dia

Nice post as always. I’m starting to get a feeling this lad could get games for us fairly early on like someone like Powell or Lee Sharpe (possibly not the two greatest examples!) as we are forced to reshuffle. The rest is up to him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

He’s clearly not going to be part of any midfield overhaul this summer. His prospects of making it into our first team will likely depend on the success of those brought in/through in the overhaul.

Bestietom

If he was 21/22 I would be happier. We needed someone in January and the board failed, so point the finger in their direction if we don't get 4th spot.
We have many young midfielders who are very good in the academy, we need a new manager who will give them a chance. Maybe Ten Hag.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Presumably goes straight into the U23s next season?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Looks like a better option than Fred already!
Joke? Fred had a sublime game the other day

If he was 21/22 I would be happier. We needed someone in January and the board failed, so point the finger in their direction if we don't get 4th spot.
We have many young midfielders who are very good in the academy, we need a new manager who will give them a chance. Maybe Ten Hag.
Eh?