Toilet Brush upsets Turkey - Brushgate

Red For Ever

So Turkey arrived in Iceland yesterday, very upset that it took so long to get from the plane and through customs, ( turkey claims 3 hours ) official flight landing times and timing of International Media and TV interviews after existing customs show it was 1 hour 5 minutes.

Apparently, they requested speedy customs clearance, don't believe any of the bags should have been checked, Icelandic customs found no trace of any such request. But have pointed out that they have a random system for checking bags, irrespective of origin and owner, they also ( Lime most airports I imagine ) target bags of Interest, although there is no suggestion any Turkish bags are in that category.
And shock horror some bags were opened and inspected by Customs.
I travel to Iceland for most months and can confirm about 1 in 5 occasions I get stopped, a few questions, maybe 1 in 10 they look in my bag, never considered it an issue.

But it seems that the biggest insult was after going through customs, a lot of News channels were trying to get interviews, all the microphones were put in front of the players, except one was not a microphone, it was a .......... Toilet Brush,

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/toilet-brush-caused-national-crisis-between-turkey-and-iceland

The are was open to all tourists of all Nationalities, and the passing Belgian tourist responsible ( he admitted it was him and is concerned after getting 1000,s of death threats ) has nothing to do with Iceland.

Despite that, the team and the Turkish people are claiming Iceland insulted them by delaying them through customs and pretending to interview them with a Toilet Brush.

The actual facts of who was responsible for the Toilet Brush seem to be ignored, although I can't help wondering why a random passing Belgian tourist had a Toilet brush with him.

Pleased to say the match just finished with Iceland 2 Turkey 1
with endless threats to anything or anyone Icelandic, including to the Iceland Food chain, and a UK based Icelandic tourist company.

The Icelandic people are all quite bemused over how they have been subject to so much online and Turkish Media abuse, for not actually doing anything wrong. They Icelandic fans are good at following the team anywhere they play, but the level of threats and abuse has made some question the safety of going to Turkey.

Tenerife is the most popular warm destination for Icelanders, although it was a lot Warmer in Reykjavik than in Tenerife today, Turkey is quite high on the list as well, but the number of cancellations for Holidays to Turkey has been considerable in just one day, with travel agents transferring Holiday destinations for no extra charge.

All because of a Toilet Brush !!!!

fergiesarmy1

Pretty sure united have never had great treatment going to turkey or almost any team so feck em

Chipper

Adulterer.
The only way you could think a dish washing brush was a bog brush is if you've never seen bog brush.

Don't they clean their toilets in Turkey, or wash dishes for that matter?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
The only way you could think a dish washing brush was a bog brush is if you've never seen bog brush.

Don't they clean their toilets in Turkey, or wash dishes for that matter?
What I thought immediately:lol:.

Lara lhg

Icelandic head of security said earlier today, no brushes allowed in the stadium tonight, kinda laughing. Iceland with a good win 2-1

arthurka

So Turkey arrived in Iceland yesterday, very upset that it took so long to get from the plane and through customs, ( turkey claims 3 hours ) official flight landing times and timing of International Media and TV interviews after existing customs show it was 1 hour 5 minutes.

Apparently, they requested speedy customs clearance, don't believe any of the bags should have been checked, Icelandic customs found no trace of any such request. But have pointed out that they have a random system for checking bags, irrespective of origin and owner, they also ( Lime most airports I imagine ) target bags of Interest, although there is no suggestion any Turkish bags are in that category.
And shock horror some bags were opened and inspected by Customs.
I travel to Iceland for most months and can confirm about 1 in 5 occasions I get stopped, a few questions, maybe 1 in 10 they look in my bag, never considered it an issue.

But it seems that the biggest insult was after going through customs, a lot of News channels were trying to get interviews, all the microphones were put in front of the players, except one was not a microphone, it was a .......... Toilet Brush,

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/toilet-brush-caused-national-crisis-between-turkey-and-iceland

The are was open to all tourists of all Nationalities, and the passing Belgian tourist responsible ( he admitted it was him and is concerned after getting 1000,s of death threats ) has nothing to do with Iceland.

Despite that, the team and the Turkish people are claiming Iceland insulted them by delaying them through customs and pretending to interview them with a Toilet Brush.

The actual facts of who was responsible for the Toilet Brush seem to be ignored, although I can't help wondering why a random passing Belgian tourist had a Toilet brush with him.

Pleased to say the match just finished with Iceland 2 Turkey 1
with endless threats to anything or anyone Icelandic, including to the Iceland Food chain, and a UK based Icelandic tourist company.

The Icelandic people are all quite bemused over how they have been subject to so much online and Turkish Media abuse, for not actually doing anything wrong. They Icelandic fans are good at following the team anywhere they play, but the level of threats and abuse has made some question the safety of going to Turkey.

Tenerife is the most popular warm destination for Icelanders, although it was a lot Warmer in Reykjavik than in Tenerife today, Turkey is quite high on the list as well, but the number of cancellations for Holidays to Turkey has been considerable in just one day, with travel agents transferring Holiday destinations for no extra charge.

All because of a Toilet Brush !!!!
Adding to that the Icelandic aviation authority got hacked and the website was DDoS. As the Turkish airport that the Turkish national arrived from was not Schengen listed the customs needed due to regulation to clear them.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
These kind of rabble-rousing episodes tend to occur in the run-up to tight elections in Turkey. Coincidentally, the Istanbul re-up is coming up (the previous vote having been canceled when the wrong party won).

Welbeckham

1. That’s not a toilet brush.
2. Emre is a racist who deserves a toilet brush in his face.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Yup. Imagine getting worked up about alleged disrespect of your country. People like that are so weird.
This. Better to complain about the lack of togetherness and identity inside a country after getting rid of pride it seems.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
My mate is a pro Icelandic footballer. He’s not even in the current national team squad (but has been before) and he’s been getting death threats and abuse on Instagram over this, ridiculous.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Everyone posting in this thread will probably get death treats too now. Dunno about you guys but I think I'm gonna not do the dishes tonight... Don't want anyone who sees me holding the brush to get the wrong idea.

Chipper

Adulterer.
What I thought immediately:lol:.
I think it's just manufactured offence.

Even if I was being culturally insensitive before and it tunred out they don't actually have toilet and dish brushes in Turkey, or ones that look like that, (I wouldn't know but would assume they did), Emre and many of the other players have played all over Europe so surely they know the difference.

Red For Ever

Icelandic football association website has been down several times today.
Due to multiple attacks of different types.

Icelandic bar in Tenerife has received 100s of threats just today

Icelandic businesses all over the world recieing large amount of threats and abuse.

We are not Icelandic. But our website shows we do business in Iceland.
We have 29 threatening emails.

Just heard from Iceland where Iceland beat Turkey 2 - 1

Iceland sports channel described turkey as being “ Brushed aside “.

Everyone posting in this thread will probably get death treats too now. Dunno about you guys but I think I'm gonna not do the dishes tonight... Don't want anyone who sees me holding the brush to get the wrong idea.
True,though I'm quite intrigued by these Death treats.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This. Better to complain about the lack of togetherness and identity inside a country after getting rid of pride it seems.
What does that have to do with sending death threats over a dish brush?

Member 93275

So the guy makes a joke on the spur of the moment with a dish wash brush when he sees some guys getting interviewed by a mob of journalists. It turned out to be a great joke, because of the contrast with both Turkey and the media guys taking themselves much too seriously. And lo and behold, the irony, Turkey reacts by taking themselves way too seriously. It makes the joke even better. Lighten up guys.