Toilet Brush upsets Turkey - Brushgate

Red For Ever

So the guy makes a joke on the spur of the moment with a dish wash brush when he sees some guys getting interviewed by a mob of journalists. It turned out to be a great joke, because of the contrast with both Turkey and the media guys taking themselves much too seriously. And lo and behold, the irony, Turkey reacts by taking themselves way too seriously. It makes the joke even better. Lighten up guys.

And as an Icelandic sports channel said.

Turkey were Brushed aside 2:1.

Due to the majority of Turkeys Football fanbase losing their minds on social media over such a silly trivial matter such as this,you'll now likely witness the majority of opposition supporters bantering Turkey with a crowd of elevated blue handled Toilet Brushes in away games.
Turkey,lighten up.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
My mate is a pro Icelandic footballer. He’s not even in the current national team squad (but has been before) and he’s been getting death threats and abuse on Instagram over this, ridiculous.
A few of my co-workers have as well.

Some random American Instagram girl posted a generic picture with a line from Barbie Girl that said "you can brush my hair" and the Turks attacked her Instagram because they thought it was related to this incident.

izec

Nothing new, speaks volumes that they get upset to this extent over such a meaningless thing. They are still struck in the ottoman empire mentally.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Due to the majority of Turkeys Football fanbase losing their minds on social media over such a silly trivial matter such as this,you'll now likely witness the majority of opposition supporters bantering Turkey with a crowd of elevated blue handled Toilet Brushes in away games.
Turkey,lighten up.
Wasn't even a toilet brush but a dishwashing brush.

Welbeckham

Second, how the hell is Emre (formerly of Newcastle) still playing?!
The length of his career is quite insane. For perspective, Eric Cantona and Diego Maradona were still playing football when he debuted for Galatasaray.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Most incredible thing to me is Emre here not only still plays football (must be about 46 now?!) but still captain of Turkey.:lol: Was scrolling through line up and half expecting Rustu, Alpay and Hakan Suker to pop up from vintage 2000-02 era.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The length of his career is quite insane. For perspective, Eric Cantona and Diego Maradona were still playing football when he debuted for Galatasaray.
Graeme Souness actually gave him his debut for Gala to make it even more bizarre. Signed him for Newcastle ten years later when he was in his early 30s.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
That's a weird looking toilet brush...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Yup. Imagine getting worked up about alleged disrespect of your country. People like that are so weird.
If you're getting worked up about a foreign person pretending to interview a footballer of your national team using a dishwashing brush then that is not a healthy nationalism to be imbued with; if there even is such a thing.

Oldham

Was at the game.
Of course the joke pre match was bringing brush...but apparently it'd be racial abuse :rolleyes: .
Glad nobody did...
And what a performance by Iceland. This group is wide open right now...

RoyH1

Turkish football fans don't seem to be able to take banter or humour very well,lol. Talk about insecure egos.

What's baffling to me is that the Turkish federation doesn't take steps to take the steam out of this. Things could go horribly wrong one day for a random Icelander minding his own business somewhere in Europe

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You'd think Turkish fans could brush off a harmless joke such as dish.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
So we see why Erdogan will stay in power for the rest of his life. Him and Turkey deserve each other.

diarm

The state of footballers thinking they are above being inspected by customs officials. Almost as bad as any grown adult who thinks that was a toilet brush.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I rarely hear of İSTANBUL BAŞAKŞEHİR FK and didn't know it was owned by Erdogan. Weird that he would own a small football club in a market that is absolutely saturated with 3 huge clubs.
Man it's even dodgier than that, they're owned by the Ministry of Youth and Sports so it's not even Erdogan's money distorting the market, it's the state's.

RoyH1

It's not a toilet brush, it's a washing up brush. You use it to scrub your plates and stuff, they're all over Scandinavia.
I don't think its a Scandinavian thing only. I've seem them all over. But apparently not available in Turkey it seems.

Needham

Beautiful outcome. Turkey is just one of those countries (Serbia, Argentina, loads more) where the inciest slight is taken as grave disrespect against their 5,000 year old honour and direct offence intended toward their mothers. Amusing and always reveals hardcore nationalism to be the seriously low IQ pursuit it is. Has the supermarket Iceland been death-threatened yet?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
According to one of my Turkish mates this incident is deeply racist. Turkish people are often called "schoonmaak Turk" in The Netherlands, which mean's a Turkish person working as a cleaner. And this is evidently based on that disparaging idiom. He's very sure that this applies to Iceland as well, because even though the Icelandic don't speak Dutch and the Turkish immigration to Iceland is quite different from that of The Netherlands, SURELY this is racist.

Conversely, Turkish fans mocking the Viking celebration the Iceland team does is fine, that's just silly primitive superstition.

Nationalism is weird.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
According to one of my Turkish mates this incident is deeply racist. Turkish people are often called "schoonmaak Turk" in The Netherlands, which mean's a Turkish person working as a cleaner. And this is evidently based on that disparaging idiom. He's very sure that this applies to Iceland as well, because even though the Icelandic don't speak Dutch and the Turkish immigration to Iceland is quite different from that of The Netherlands, SURELY this is racist.

Conversely, Turkish fans mocking the Viking celebration the Iceland team does is fine, that's just silly primitive superstition.

Nationalism is weird.
Has he been a good boy and made some proper death threats to persons and institutions completely unrelated to a Belgian tourist?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I don't think its a Scandinavian thing only. I've seem them all over. But apparently not available in Turkey it seems.
That's the market niche others have been looking for! Let's start a business in Turkey and sell these brushes!

Pagh Wraith

Nationalism is weird.
You really call cleaners schoonmakers? I love Dutch!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Has he been a good boy and made some proper death threats to persons and institutions completely unrelated to a Belgian tourist?
He doesn't seem like the type of guy to do that, but who knows when the anonymity of the internet protects him.

To be fair, he's not really my mate, but a member of my football team.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Great analysis.
I was being subversive due to the topic opinions. I realize the critical situation Turkey is atm, but he has such a strong popular support that is almost near to impossible to turn the tide in a near future.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That's the market niche others have been looking for! Let's start a business in Turkey and sell these brushes!
That's actually a good idea. We'll print an Iceland and Belgium flag on toilet brushes and they will run out of stock as soon as we put them on sale at Turkey. Profit!