Toilet Brush upsets Turkey - Brushgate

Pagh Wraith

:D
I have an Irish lady at work who especially loves our word for toiletseat "WC-bril", which translates to Toilet glasses.
Well that one is the same in German. But Schönmacher (the German cognate) sounds more like a decorator to me and a little bit cute. If I had to use a very literal word to describe what they do I'd go with Saubermacher (zuiver). But I guess schön and schoon are not exactly the same.

Fener1907

I was being subversive due to the topic opinions. I realize the critical situation Turkey is atm, but he has such a strong popular support that is almost near to impossible to turn the tide in a near future.
You're saying this in a year when he's suffered his worst defeats since coming to power.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You're saying this in a year when he's suffered his worst defeats since coming to power.
Schön is nice, or good whereas schoon means clean. Though we also use schoon to describe our in laws. My wife's mom is my "schoonmoeder". Not sure why that is though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I guess the biggest question that remains to be answered is how people in Turkey clean their dishes and their toilets if they are convinced that it was a toilet brush?

Needham

I guess the biggest question that remains to be answered is how people in Turkey clean their dishes and their toilets if they are convinced that it was a toilet brush?
They use ice.

Member 93275

Considering the E.coli infections, they use the same brush.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I really hope so, but from the news I get from my friends at Istanbul that scenario is really highly unlikely to happen. Not only he will have a high popular support, he has a great propaganda machine behind him. Not to mention he has some powerful allies from the outside (the famous fist bump with Trump comes to mind).

Defeats in Municipal elections are never a good indicator. All over the world people tend to vote differently on local governments, they usually tend to choose familiar face or the politician who made some improvements at their local towns or just vote against the politician who basically didn't improve their home town.

When voting for national government, people usually vote by ideology, which is usually a stupid thing to do, but people do it anyway. And that will give him the edge, there's a big nationalism fever all over the world and Turkey is not an exception.

Fener1907

I really hope so, but from the news I get from my friends at Istanbul that scenario is really highly unlikely to happen. Not only he will have a high popular support, he has a great propaganda machine behind him. Not to mention he has some powerful allies from the outside (the famous fist bump with Trump comes to mind).

Defeats in Municipal elections are never a good indicator. All over the world people tend to vote differently on local governments, they usually tend to choose familiar face or the politician who made some improvements at their local towns or just vote against the politician who basically didn't improve their home town.

When voting for national government, people usually vote by ideology, which is usually a stupid thing to do, but people do it anyway. And that will give him the edge, there's a big nationalism fever all over the world and Turkey is not an exception.
They already did lose the Istanbul election with all of those factors and others at play. Everyone is also so busy with Istanbul that they forget that he also lost Ankara and that the CHP took other cities like Adana and Antalya.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
This thread is an absolute mess.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Implying that Turkish people are dirty pigs is quality banter.
Yeah, I'm Turkish myself so this thread just leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Also, it's not exactly all over the press in Turkey either or some sort of national uproar, which the thread starter made it out to be.

Obviously, I'm not condoning any threats or violence from Turkish people, but I think it's important to understand the cultural differences before getting into a debate about how Turks do this and that. Now people are discussing Turkish politics on the back of this too, which is rather amusing, but at the same time, very inappropriate.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah, I'm Turkish myself so this thread just leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Also, it's not exactly all over the press in Turkey either or some sort of national uproar, which the thread starter made it out to be.

Obviously, I'm not condoning any threats or violence from Turkish people, but I think it's important to understand the cultural differences before getting into a debate about how Turks do this and that. Now people are discussing Turkish politics on the back of this too, which is rather amusing, but at the same time, very inappropriate.
I've read that Erdogan himself, a couple of ministers and public figures, like pop singers, got involved. Turning the thing into an official diplomatic incident?

Last edited:

Fener1907

All good points. But let's not let all of that get in front of the "Turkish people are dumb and don't understand basic hygiene!" giddiness.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Oh the irony of a Turkish team getting upset when arriving at the host country’s airport.

I would have gone with a “Welcome to Hell” banner at arrivals for a bit of the old taste of your own medicine. But a toilet/sink brush is a decent second choice.

Fener1907

Yes, I hate those German or Dutch guys, too. But let's brush aside our prejudices for the sake of this thread's quality.
Just brushing up on my history as to why so many of you are so invested in this thread in particular.

It's a classic in the making. Keep up the good work!

Interval

Level
I recall years ago an invasion by Turkish fans in the newbs threatening how they will smash us in the CL when SAF was around. What didp they call themselves? @KM @Gambit

Was unlike I've seen with footballing fans of any other country. Take their shit way too seriously

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Just brushing up on my history as to why so many of you are so invested in this thread in particular.

It's a classic in the making. Keep up the good work!
Don't forget to brush the many British/Irish guys who frequent this thread ;)

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I recall years ago an invasion by Turkish fans in the newbs threatening how they will smash us in the CL when SAF was around. What didp they call themselves? @KM @Gambit

Was unlike I've seen with footballing fans of any other country.
Take their shit way too seriously
Absolute bollocks :lol:

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
It's one word against the other despite what the OP states. Clearly agitated by the whole fiasco they've overreacted to the brush and thought it was something else. It's obviously a shit situation all round and tbf, don't know why you'd have to repeatedly search bags of the Turkish national football team, it paints a narrative.

However some of the comments here are a bit of a joke.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I agree , very disrespectful of fanatical Turkish fans to send death threats to players and random Businesses who had nothing to do with a random Belgian tourist.
Off the top of my head, when karius was recieving death threats, the fact that they were English wasnt really brought up. Funny that.

But yeah you crack on.

Member 93275

I recently bought a toilet brush. Long story short, I’m going back to toilet paper.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Was unlike I've seen with footballing fans of any other country. Take their shit way too seriously
Carsi :lol:

Besiktas fans. Countless pages of Besiktas fans coming and spamming the newbies.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

Off the top of my head, when karius was recieving death threats, the fact that they were English wasnt really brought up. Funny that.

But yeah you crack on.
I mean, one lot are a load of (admittedly disgustingly out of order) pissed off scousers taking out their anger against one of their players who made a mistake.

The other is a load of people pursuing a nationalistic agenda against a completely innocent country that had absolutely nothing to do with the incident. You can’t argue the Karius death threats were driven by nationalism?

I’m sorry but I think ultra nationalism in all forms should be rightly called out.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I mean, one lot are a load of (admittedly disgustingly out of order) pissed off scousers taking out their anger against one of their players who made a mistake.

The other is a load of people pursuing a nationalistic agenda against a completely innocent country that had absolutely nothing to do with the incident. You can’t argue the Karius death threats were driven by nationalism?

I’m sorry but I think ultra nationalism in all forms should be rightly called out.
A death threats a death threat, doesn't matter the reason behind it, it's disgusting either way. The reason they're going after Icelandic business and Iceland as a whole is because of its an international game of football and this is an international incident in which they'll feel, rightly or wrongly, has deep-rooted racism in it.

Point is, you always have crazy nutjob fans of any team. Theyre quite rightly not looked at as representative of the wider fanbase. Your comment is probably completely innocent in fairness, but in a thread that leaves a sour taste in the mouth, looked off to me.