Tokyo 2020 (now in 2021 and maybe never)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
So with the Euros being postponed, I think it's now doubtful we'll see the Olympics in the summer or even in 2020.

Surely just a matter of time before a change in announced.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I feel for Olympic athletes more than footballers. Get paid way less, some struggle for funding for years and have a much more limited timespan than footballers do. Some swimmers retire in their mid 20s...really shit situation.

redshaw

Doesn't seem possible to hold this now and Japan's situation should be getting worse but if not, so many athletes around the world will be. I'd rather they postpone to next year instead of having some sorry looking partial olympics.

Tough for those building up for years to peak at this time

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Yeah, feel bad for the athletes but surely it’s only a matter of time before they postpone it until next year.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Canada has pulled out and Australia just told their athletes they won't be going so presumably they will withdraw soon.

So it looks like the question is will it be cancelled, help in late 2020 or mid 2021, if either of those are logistically possible given the classes with other sports and events?

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Can't see this taking place. Shame for all the athletes, especially those who don't qualify when it gets rescheduled.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I don't understand why the IOC is prevaricating over this, it's been obvious for a few weeks this can not go ahead and if I can see it then surely they can too. Athletes can't train properly and the idea of bringing hundreds together in the summer has looked like utter madness for ages!

The only silver lining is that is has given sports journos something to write about while the IOC decides!

kps88

I don't understand why the IOC is prevaricating over this, it's been obvious for a few weeks this can not go ahead and if I can see it then surely they can too. Athletes can't train properly and the idea of bringing hundreds together in the summer has looked like utter madness for ages!

The only silver lining is that is has given sports journos something to write about while the IOC decides!
Seriously. Even if by some miracle it's safe to hold it, athletes aren't able to train properly in the lead up to it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
A joke that this has not been postponed yet.

We all know it's not happening. The IOC are just worried about their money and the Japanese wont lose face by telling them no.

Half the countries wont be able to attend and the sponsors are hardly going to be happy paying to sponsor an event where the US and most of Europe arent allowed to participate. It's just a question of whether its postponed to later this year, or next summer.

RoyH1

Because just like the vast majority of countries and organisations, they didn't start taking it seriously until the death toll in Southern Europe took off. Economic considerations rule the thinking of those with decision making authority. There's still too much of the "it's just a flu" kind of thinking

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Could they not just cancel in until 2024 and bump everyone else ? So Paris in 2028 etc.

Shame for all the athletes who've been working towards this and may not be able to participate next year or whenever it is rearranged, but I'm surprised it still hasn't been cancelled.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
2021 makes the most sense. It’s by far the pinnacle of near enough every event that competes in it. Due to that, they’ll be able to cancel any of the events due to take place next summer and give the Olympics priority.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Knowing there’s a man called Dick Pound in the world is a nice bit of levity in the current climate.

OleBoiii

Japan seems to be behind the rest of the world when it comes to vaccination. If they really are hosting the olympics this summer then I reckon it would have to be with minimal audience.

OleBoiii

considering all the infrastructure they have built for it that will seem like a hell of a waste
Indeed.

Not that it's going to be pleasant for spectators anyways. Summer in Tokyo is literally hell on earth. It hardly ever drops below 25C and it's usually around 35C during the day. That's not the worst part, though. It's the humidity that is an absolute killer.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
considering all the infrastructure they have built for it that will seem like a hell of a waste
Kinda like the rest of the world and sport, better to have it in empty stadiums/arenas than not have it all. They’ve got sponsorship obligations too, not sure if it can be delayed another year.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Indeed.

Not that it's going to be pleasant for spectators anyways. Summer in Tokyo is literally hell on earth. It hardly ever drops below 25C and it's usually around 35C during the day. That's not the worst part, though. It's the humidity that is an absolute killer.
Indeed i think beyond having to go through an airport then stick on a plane the thought of then being quarentined in a tiny tokyo hotel room before being thrust into the tokyo metro and shibuya would put tokyo pretty close to the bottom of the places i would want to go in a global pandemic

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Kinda like the rest of the world and sport, better to have it in empty stadiums/arenas than not have it all. They’ve got sponsorship obligations too, not sure if it can be delayed another year.
Hard to say - I can imagine for athletes its going to be very hard to be in peak conditions 3 summers in a row (then presumably one summer off before paris 2024)
I wonder if the IOC is on the hook to may back sponsorship / TV rights if the games dont go ahead?

OleBoiii

There's also the athletes in sports where it's all about the olympics. It's heartbreaking when these athletes just miss out on olympic games because of an untimely injury, only to realize that they might not be up for the task in 4 years. Imagine being in perfect shape only to have the whole thing cancelled.

Then again, there are more important things in life than sports!

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
There's also the athletes in sports where it's all about the olympics. It's heartbreaking when these athletes just miss out on olympic games because of an untimely injury, only to realize that they might not be up for the task in 4 years. Imagine being in perfect shape only to have the whole thing cancelled.

I suspect there will be athletes who have delayed retirement and even ones who have put on hold having a kid

Im also not sure if the IOC has been able to keep up its usual drug testing regimes because clearly there wont have been in event testing for many - and again im not sure what impact that could have if some people have sought to take advantage?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

A friend of my son's was injured the week before the last Olympics and if Tokyo is cancelled that means he will probably only have 1 more chance.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Stephen87

I’m in two minds about this.
Tokyo 2022? Then do you make it paris 2026 or stick with 2024?

or just skip it and wait till 2024
Then do you still go to Paris or do you give tokyo 2024 and Paris 2028?

Doubt they can leave it too much longer before making a decision
I think they need to make a decision by March. It was left too late for the athletes last year. A lot of qualification still has to happen I think its only close to 50% that are currently qualified. If nations start pulling out they will have no choice but to cancel.

They won't postpone it again as we are already in the Paris Olympiad. Having a year into the next cycle may prolong some of the older athletes that were thinking last year would be their last games.

I think they'll cancel it rather than trying to push it out, the only real option of postponing is to push it to later in the year or scrap it. The weather is still decent in Japan around October & November so the Paralympics could still follow the games.

It's a tough decision and I wouldn't envy the organising committee making the decision. If it goes ahead there'll be arguments of putting commercial over health after the billions put into running the games.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Tokyo 2022? Then do you make it paris 2026 or stick with 2024?

or just skip it and wait till 2024
Then do you still go to Paris or do you give tokyo 2024 and Paris 2028?

Doubt they can leave it too much longer before making a decision
I suspect Tokyo either happens this year or it will be cancelled. Paris will happen as scheduled.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The Times says that the Japanese govenment accepts that the Games won't be happening and it's just a matter of "finding a face-saving way of announcing the cancellation that leaves open the possibility of Tokyo playing host at a later date". Like 2032, which is the next open date.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1611249451
I'd hate to think of the economic effect it could have on the city.

Rio de Janeiro and Athens suffered heavily from spending on the Olympic Games and those were with full attendances. Not being able to make a single dime off it until 2032 would sure be devastating.