Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The "lacks pace" comments don't quite hold up, we regularly deploy Park on the wing and he's not exactly rapid, but he does well because of his tactical awareness, work rate and ability to take part in the build up and drift inside. If Cleverley can be that kind of player for us I'll be delighted and he'll have a great career here, especially because he's also very handy in front of goal.

Look forward to seeing him back with us next year, hopefully he'll get a good amount of games under his belt.

Rooney1987

Impressive loan spell helps Wigan stay up. Going to be intesting to see what happens next year with Tom.

I'm always right

Impressive loan spell helps Wigan stay up. Going to be intesting to see what happens next year with Tom.
He hardly did a Richardson. Tom spent more time sat on the bench in their last 2 wins (which kept them up) than he did playing. Feet back on earth lads.

I think Tom's a cracking player and last pre-season he looked awesome playing with better players, let's hope he can up it again.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He hardly did a Richardson. Tom spent more time sat on the bench in their last 2 wins (which kept them up) than he did playing. Feet back on earth lads.

I think Tom's a cracking player and last pre-season he looked awesome playing with better players, let's hope he can up it again.
He played his part in the 3 points yesterday, Wigan looked a different animal after Tom's introduction. I would've thought that you of all people would find that worthy of mention.

Rooney1987

No one is going overboard all im saying is he has helped Wigan stay up he has played his part which he has.

Shimo

One highlight I saw of the game he was in on goal but, denied by the keeper.

He's not done too badly there and the experience must be out of this world to be fighting for the clubs survival in the PL. Hopefully when he plays with an overall better team (players), his game will be that much better.

Devil may care

Wigan coach Barrow backing Man Utd youngster Cleverley to replace Scholes | Premiership News | tribalfootball.com

Wigan Athletic coach Graham Barrow believes Tom Cleverley can make it at Manchester United.

Barrow believes they have the solution on the doorstep.

“Tom is a very talented young man who is heading for the top,” he told the Manchester Evening News.

“I fully expect him to make his mark at Old Trafford and challenge to take up the Paul Scholes role.

“He is good enough and he’s a bit special. United have a fine player and a fine young man returning to their ranks.

“Tom has made incredible progress and he’s going to get better in my view.

“Nothing is a problem for him.

“He’s got the ability and he’s certainly got the application.

“You couldn’t meet a nicer lad. He’s been a loan player who’s given his heart and soul to Wigan.

“United may well spend big to replace a wonderful player like Scholes but Tom will definitely feature at some point now he is back at Old Trafford.

“Is he a better player since joining us? That’s an understatement – he’s given 100 per cent, he has oozed quality.

“I wish he was staying but you can see he’s one of those United lads who is going to be very special.”

Cold_Boy

I have high hopes for Cleverly.

He looks a classy player but doesn't impose himself properly.

Xavi was not really a player until 26 and our very own Fletcher.

Whats interesting is the praise that he has received from the Wigan staff who watch him in training regularly. They must be onto something.

Donut

I really hope he gets a proper chance. He has what it takes.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I have high hopes for Cleverly.

He looks a classy player but doesn't impose himself properly.

Xavi was not really a player until 26 and our very own Fletcher.

Whats interesting is the praise that he has received from the Wigan staff who watch him in training regularly.
They must be onto something.
One of the United coaches (Brian McClair?) said last season or the season before that he was never one of the most naturally gifted youngsters at the club, but that his dedication was exceptional. Players like that tend to progress well into their 20s.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Isn't Cleverley more of a winger/attacking midfielder rather than a deep lying playmaker like Scholes or a midfield passer like Iniesta/Silva?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Isn't Cleverley more of a winger/attacking midfielder rather than a deep lying playmaker like Scholes or a midfield passer like Iniesta/Silva?
His playing style is more like a Ji Sung Park

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
No he isn't. I think we take Park for granted sometimes.

Cleverley is better in certain aspects, but to say he's 'wayyyyyyyyyyyy' better, or anything to that effect, is off the mark.

These are encouraging comments, though. I'm not sure where I stand in regards to Cleverley making it, but it's a good set of comments to read given how much Barrow would've seen him in training.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I can definately see the Iniesta comparison. Similar stature. Both can play wide or central. Both like to play short pass and move. Both can manipulate the ball well in tight spaces. Both tidy dribblers. Both not exceptionally quick. Both like to arrive late into the box, and both are good finishers.

Obviously Iniestas a better player, but thats who Tom should be modelling his game on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Cleverley is better in certain aspects, but to say he's 'wayyyyyyyyyyyy' better, or anything to that effect, is off the mark.

These are encouraging comments, though. I'm not sure where I stand in regards to Cleverley making it, but it's a good set of comments to read given how much Barrow would've seen him in training.
Exactly. If he was as good as Park on the ball (never mind wayyyyyyyyyy better) he'd be starting every game for Wigan, because the other aspects of his game aren't all that far behind. He's a very clever(ley) player and works bloody hard.

If he ever turns out as good as Park is now I'll be delighted.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Exactly. If he was as good as Park on the ball (never mind wayyyyyyyyyy better) he'd be starting every game for Wigan, because the other aspects of his game aren't all that far behind. He's a very clever(ley) player and works bloody hard.

If he ever turns out as good as Park is now I'll be delighted.
He couldnt have started that many more to be fair. Of the 25 games he was available for, he started 19. He had a couple of sub appearances at the start of the season when he was settling in, and a couple more to nurse his return from injury in mid season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He couldnt have started that many more to be fair. Of the 25 games he was available for, he started 19. He had a couple of sub appearances at the start of the season when he was settling in, and a couple more to nurse his return from injury in mid season.
That's semantics really. My point was that Park is the far better player of the two. Hopefully the opposite will be true soon enough but it's silly to try and claim that Cleverley is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than Park at anything really.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
so, no pressure then Tom

ps. don't dare fail in 1 match, or you'll be shit and only good enough for the Championship

Mainoldo

That's semantics really. My point was that Park is the far better player of the two. Hopefully the opposite will be true soon enough but it's silly to try and claim that Cleverley is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than Park at anything really.
Of course Parks better. That was never a question at the minute Cleverley isn't even better than Gibson. That wasn't the point. The fact that he was compared to Park made me evaluate his game and except for the fact Cleverley works hard theirs nothing else that resembles Parks play.

mufcwarm92

This.

Good luck to Tom though, I really hope we have another gem, here. Look forward to seeing him in action in this summer's u21s.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Of course Parks better. That was never a question at the minute Cleverley isn't even better than Gibson. That wasn't the point. The fact that he was compared to Park made me evaluate his game and except for the fact Cleverley works hard theirs nothing else that resembles Parks play.
Tactical awareness? Tendency to tuck inside from the wing? Versatility across the midfield?

He's not a spitting image of Park by any means (Plech being racist again), but he shares a lot of qualities and can perform a similar role for us, certainly.

Devil may care

Came on in the second half today and was England's best attacking player IMO. He uses the ball intelligently and put in some dangerous service, I hope he starts next week against Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.