Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

humdinger

I like Cleverley - both the way he plays and his general attitiude seems spot on.

Takes a good set piece, can score goals from midfield and works his socks off. We can definitely find a place for him within our squad. Reckon he'll feature regularly in cup games and get some league games against "lower" opposition.

Devil may care

Tom Cleverley: I can be the next Paul Scholes for Manchester United | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

Tom Cleverley wants to save Manchester United cash put aside for replacing Paul Scholes.

Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson is planning major surgery on his midfield following the retirement of Scholes and Owen Hargreaves' release.

Aston Villa's £15m England winger-cum-forward Ashley Young is set to be imported as part of the strategy and United fans are hoping that the stellar signing of Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder comes off.

But 21-year-old Cleverley is aiming to build a case for his name to be in the frame.

The midfielder begins England Under 21s European Championship bid in Denmark against Spain and, after a successful season on loan at Wigan, hopes to remind Fergie that he can cut it in the competitive jungle of the Reds engine room next season.

“Paul Scholes' boots are very big ones to fill,” Tom told M.E.N Sport.

“He's been a winner and a great player. Any team is going to miss a player of that ability. But as always somebody has to step up. You hope that given the chance you can, along with everyone else, give something so he is not missed as much.

“I hope I can put my case forward and save the club some money. Wigan have helped me and I feel I am ready to tackle the job at United.

“I have spoken to the manager. We have had two or three discussions. They were good chats and he will be speaking to me again after the European Championships.

“I know United will be buying players this summer. The reality is that United are the biggest club in the world so they are going to be interested in the best.

“They will be linked with players and they will buy top players. You grow up at the club knowing that will be the case. That is part of the challenge.

“But we all know the manager promotes young home grown players so you have to show you are good enough. After the experiences at Wigan I know what it takes now at Premier League level. I want to be part of the manager's plans.”

In a bid to improve his Old Trafford portfolio Cleverley was a keen student at Wembley when United were taken apart by Barcelona in the Champions League final.

“As a United player and fan it wasn't a great experience at Wembley but as part of my education it was a massive lesson for me,” added Tom.

“From my point of view to study at close quarters Messi, Xavi and Iniesta was invaluable. Messi is wonderful but I think I can model my game on Xavi and Iniesta and also Pedro.

“The movement from those guys is incredible. They are not massive physically but they stay on the ball. They shield it so well. They used their body brilliantly.

“I need to get that into my game. My upper body strength has to be better but it is not all about working out in the gym it is also about how you use your body.

“They also out think opponents and that is something else I need to learn from them.

“Hopefully picking up those bits and bobs plus all the experience I will get at the European Championships will mean I will be a better player and ready for the challenge at United.”

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I know very little about him tbh and only ever seen him play wide left, does he genuinely have what it takes to make it as a centre midfielder for us or is he destined to be another Jones, Eagles, Richardson?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Hopefully he'll be given a proper chance to impress. He's 21 so it's almost now or never really in terms of making it at United.

Mickey

Stop paying attention to this a while ago
I know very little about him tbh and only ever seen him play wide left, does he genuinely have what it takes to make it as a centre midfielder for us or is he destined to be another Jones, Eagles, Richardson?
Ive always been of the opinion that hes wasted out wide. He cuts in more often than not, and doesnt really have pace.

And i think hes better than all those players you mentioned.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hopefully he'll be given a proper chance to impress. He's 21 so it's almost now or never really in terms of making it at United.
I'd say he'll be given the same opportunity that Gibson did, which gives him at least another couple of years to nail down a place. He's definitely made a bigger impression on loan than Gibson did at the same age.

Chrisjn

I personally think he is going to be a big success at United. I'm suprised more people don't see it.

Cold_Boy

I hope he becomes a regular for us in the future.

The guy is really sensible and loves Manchester United

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I'd say he'll be given the same opportunity that Gibson did, which gives him at least another couple of years to nail down a place. He's definitely made a bigger impression on loan than Gibson did at the same age.
I would argue Gibson's ability to score contributed more to his tenure here than his actual performances. (He's highly inconsistent still)

Chrisjn

What gives you the impression he will be a big success at United ?
I think he looks a very classy player. Looks intelligent on the ball and appears to have good vision and the ability to make a pass.

He also uses space well and allows himself time on the ball, which is great to see at such a young age.

I think he'll do very well.

mufcwarm92

He'll certainly have a part to play next season. He sounds like a good lad, willing to learn from others, which is refreshing to see. Hope he gets some playing time for the u21s, though the midfield competition is stiff.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I remember when Beckham first came into the side. To my eyes Becks was the least impressive of Fergie's Fledglings in the 1995/96 season. When we signed Poborsky after Euro 96 I honestly thought he'd push Beckham out of the first XI.

I hugely underestimated Beckham's character. He wasn't as naturally impressive as Scholesy or Giggs or even as dynamic as Nicky Butt when he first broke into the team but Becks was hungry. Beckham took the time to look at the holes in his game and think about how he could either fill them or compensate for them and when he came for the 1996/97 season he was almost more of a new signing than Poborsky was.

Tom looks a fairly simple lad but every time he talks he comes across as having that same something Becks had: Call it a chip on his shoulder, call it a complex but you can see that he is more conscious of his limitations than most players. Yet instead of being crushed by that knowledge Cleverley uses it to keep alert, to keep halive to what he needs to do to better himself as a footballer. That willingness to keep working, to keep improving is what has always been the mark of Sir Alex's most successful players and I really believe Tom Cleverley is going to have a big 2011/12 season.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I really like the look of Cleverley, think he needs to be given some chances next season (and i am sure he will) and hopefully will be next years Hernandez.

That said, I still think we need to buy in at least one quality midfielder, probably two, we cannot rely PURELY on youth for that at the moment.

Quick question though - is Cleverley's best position regarded as being central or wide?

Longsden_7

Good player. I hope he has a chance to shine at the U21's. His talent seems to go under the radar a fair bit, comes across as a learning professional. Good engine, good delivery and has great shooting ability.

Future is bright for him United or not.

I really like the look of Cleverley, think he needs to be given some chances next season (and i am sure he will) and hopefully will be next years Hernandez.

That said, I still think we need to buy in at least one quality midfielder, probably two, we cannot rely PURELY on youth for that at the moment.

Quick question though - is Cleverley's best position regarded as being central or wide?
I think he's been used as a wide player when he's been loaned out mostly because of his physique but last summer on the US tour Fergie used him down the middle. Still remember this:

Quality. ;)

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
time will tell. He might end up a very good central midfielder, who knows? However, I doubt he's another jones, eagles or richardson. I think he's a very good player.

marcus agrippa

I thought he was the new Park Ji Sung. Make your mind up Tommo.
In a bid to improve his Old Trafford portfolio Cleverley was a keen student at Wembley when United were taken apart by Barcelona in the Champions League final.

“As a United player and fan it wasn't a great experience at Wembley but as part of my education it was a massive lesson for me,” added Tom.

“From my point of view to study at close quarters Messi, Xavi and Iniesta was invaluable. Messi is wonderful but I think I can model my game on Xavi and Iniesta and also Pedro.

“The movement from those guys is incredible. They are not massive physically but they stay on the ball. They shield it so well. They used their body brilliantly.

“I need to get that into my game. My upper body strength has to be better but it is not all about working out in the gym it is also about how you use your body.

“They also out think opponents and that is something else I need to learn from them....."
TBF, that shows he's got the grasp of the fundamentals required, and I can't fault him for that. He's targeted specific strengths and areas to work on to get to that level and IMO that's good to see in a young player.

I hope he does well for us.

prateik

I am a huge fan. saw bits of him when he was at leicester in league one for half a season
Been watching a lot since his loan spell at Watford. Really excited that he might get a proper chance next season. He deserves it.

Devil may care

Great that he's starting tonight, Martinez just said that he thinks his best position is on the left, but tonight the theory is he will play on the right.

Sylar

I think hes smart enough to play across the midfield. He cut in a lot for Wigan from the left and contributed to a few good goals last season. It looks like he prefers CM but I wouldnt mind us starting him on the left next season in a few games. But id like to see him get a few games as CM in pre-season.

I think hes smart enough to play across the midfield. He cut in a lot for Wigan from the left and contributed to a few good goals last season. It looks like he prefers CM but I wouldnt mind us starting him on the left next season in a few games. But id like to see him get a few games as CM in pre-season.
I think tonight's Euro U21s game against Spain shows where Cleverley feels he should be playing. When he came off the wing and inside of his own accord Cleverley was able to get on the ball against Spain and started to have an impact almost creating a goal for Sturridge.

Considering how many times Henderson received the ball into feet and wasted it on a Hollywood pass to nobody I would've thought the logical thing to do would've been to sub him off and let Cleverley move into a position where he could do more creating.

Inexplicably "Psycho" subbed him off. :rolleyes:

Ah well at least he'll get his chance when he comes back to Old Trafford. From what he said about his conversations with Sir Alex its clear that at least the United coaching staff understand where to play Cleverley to coax the best out of him.

johnmufc

The only people who think Cleverley plays best as a central midfielder are those who have seen very little of him. He is similar to Park, a player who will start out wide but will drift inside. He does not possess the physique or tactical awareness to play centrally in a two-man midfield.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
The only people who think Cleverley plays best as a central midfielder are those who have seen very little of him. He is similar to Park, a player who will start out wide but will drift inside. He does not possess the physique or tactical awareness to play centrally in a two-man midfield.
:confused:

He's done it many, many times before when in the academy and then through to the reserves. He was put there with Scholsey last year on the US tour and did pretty well. He will definitely be a central midfielder.

Redrage

Wasted out wide. I am sure he is much much better than that shite midfield England had on today.

Status
Not open for further replies.