Tom Cleverley | 2010/11 Performances (on loan at Wigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The only people who think Cleverley plays best as a central midfielder are those who have seen very little of him. He is similar to Park, a player who will start out wide but will drift inside. He does not possess the physique or tactical awareness to play centrally in a two-man midfield.
Martinez on Cleverley: "A real thinker. Tactically, he's as good as it gets for his age."

That quote was Today.

johnmufc

He is an intelligent player, yes. So is Park.

But intelligence for a wide player is much different to intelligence for a central midfield player. Need I remind you of Park's recent lapses playing in central midfield?

Cleverley will be a wide player for us, I assure you.

humdinger

The only people who think Cleverley plays best as a central midfielder are those who have seen very little of him. He is similar to Park, a player who will start out wide but will drift inside. He does not possess the physique or tactical awareness to play centrally in a two-man midfield.
I thought his tactical awareness was one of the things Martinez was raving about? Since he was Tom's manager for a year he's probably a better judge of that than we are.

He isn't a monster but is hardly a shrimp either. He's said himself if he's clever enough with his body positioning he doesn't need to worry about his size.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Nonsense. Whether he will make it or not in either position is a different matter altogether, but this is very far off the mark.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Personally I would rather cleverley and welbeck getting more gametime next season than us signing Young.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He is an intelligent player, yes. So is Park.

But intelligence for a wide player is much different to intelligence for a central midfield player. Need I remind you of Park's recent lapses playing in central midfield?

Cleverley will be a wide player for us, I assure you.
Every time I've seen Park in a South Korea shirt he's played centre midfield and until recently I felt I'd never seen him replicate the form he's shown for South Korea at Man Utd. I don't think you can blame Park's mishaps in the middle on his unfamiliarity with the position or needing a different kind of intelligence.

Likewise with Cleverley.

His comments both about his conversations with Sir Alex and the way he's been looking to look and learn from Xavi and Iniesta seem to suggest that has enough nous to play in the central role he covets. Yes, he has some rough edges but he's young and he's working to smooth them out. Plus he's showing by his words and deeds that when he does find himself in central areas he knows what to do. Fletch came into the side on the flank for similar reasons as the one's you've cited as to why Cleverley can't be a centre midfielder but with exposure and experience Fletch grew as a player and has blossomed where he always wanted to be: in the middle. I think Cleverley will do so too.

Mick1991

The only recent lapse I can think from Park in central midfield? (claiming that he played center mid is false), The only one I can think of is Barcelona.

I don't think I'll ever really get the Park comparison with Cleverly, I just don't see it myself, He's got a more on the ball than Park.

Devil may care

He had some good moments tonight but it's hard when you're the player constantly getting shuffled, he looked better in the center or on the left than he did on the right though.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
:rolleyes::confused:

Ace

Debating on his levels of intelligence is quite pointless. We're obviously stacked on the wings and lacking on the inside. His versatility will only afford him more opportunities in the first team. He's pretty far from the starting lineup as far as I'm concerned, and cementing him into a "role" isn't necessary at the moment.

Just like seasons before, we will endure our injury period during the winter months and he'll get his chances in a number of positions.

But to suggest that he doesn't have the intelligence (despite being praised for that singular trait) to play one position as well as another is laughable.

Cold_Boy

I hope he is our first choice in the year to come.

But I am not sure he can do that in the next 2 seasons.

Can be a great player at 25/26 imo like Xavi.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

Ummm

Hellboy

The European Cup will be the top priority next year, so you can't bet your house that he won't be a first choice midfielder.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Nice little video of him from U21s training here. Some classy stuff from Tom.
Damn straight but he still won't get started by Peace. I can almost guarantee it. "Psycho" will continue to put his trust in the £20m man Jordan Henderson and Henderson will continue to play Hollywood balls into touch or to our opposition. While the far more technically gifted, much better in tight spaces Tom Cleverley will continue to sit there on the bench...

...ah well at least he won't be getting injured.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It's almost as if the FA have put that on their site just to go, 'right, look, we CAN play like Spain, and our youngters will challenge them in the future'.

Well, yeh, if you actually play your players in the positions that genuinely enable that sort of football to become a reality. Play Cleverley in the centre and get him on the ball as nuch as possible, for feck's sake.

bcubed

Endeavouring to persevere in observation of all th
Damn straight but he still won't get started by Peace. I can almost guarantee it. "Psycho" will continue to put his trust in the £20m man Jordan Henderson and Henderson will continue to play Hollywood balls into touch or to our opposition. While the far more technically gifted, much better in tight spaces Tom Cleverley will continue to sit there on the bench...

...ah well at least he won't be getting injured.
Damn Straight!!!

Mainoldo

It's almost as if the FA have put that on their site just to go, 'right, look, we CAN play like Spain, and our youngters will challenge them in the future'.

Well, yeh, if you actually play your players in the positions that genuinely enable that sort of football to become a reality. Play Cleverley in the centre and get him on the ball as nuch as possible, for feck's sake.
He fine on the wings.. Just don't ask him to be a winger. Psycho missed up his bloody tactics. I heard him screaming at Tom on the touch line to stay by the line asif he was going to take players on and cross it in. What he needed him to do was interlink with the front do like on the video above.. (Similar to what Mata did)Plus he should have played him on the left.

Widnes

Never can understand when people say the next Jack Wilshere, why not just say he is similar? It's not like he is a seasoned pro in fact he is a couple years younger than Tom Cleverley.

MalteseRedDevil

Cleverley is a late bloomer. He is still improving and I think there is a lot more to come from him. His versatility has lead to him playing in multiple positions but he really needs to nail down a position now. For me that's the next step for him.

If he really is a similar player to wilshire then he needs to be playing in central midfield. You cant blame pearce for playing him on the wing if that is where his club managers have played him.

Next season he needs to play central midfield. If not at united then at a premier league side

Status
Not open for further replies.