Tom Cleverley | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
For God sake, I don't call him DB07, it was said in reference to Tom Cleverley trying to be Baggs the brand, aka DB07 - the brand of David Beckham. I thought it was pretty obvious. :rolleyes:

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I had some official David Beckham pyjamas from Marks&Spencer's when I was a kid and guess what they had DB07 on them.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Okay - what to make of Tom's first season at United as a first team player?

To be fair, he started the season brilliantly, clicking somewhat surprisingly with Anderson. They were at the heart of all our best football.

Then he got injured vs Bolton, returned vs Everton and looked brilliant for 55 minutes, got injured, and never returned until around the Ajax-game.

In which he played well enough away from home, I thought.

After that his form has taken a bit of a beating, but I thought alongside Rio he were probably our best player on the night against Wigan. Seemed purposeful at least. Would benefit from a run in the side, which he's not going to get at this stage.

My verdict: Disappointing. After his first few matches, I could see us have a fighting chance in CM in no small part due to this kid. Then injuries pretty much ruined his entire season, which is a bit crap. So, I'm ultimately left disappointed.

ArmchairCritic

Okay - what to make of Tom's first season at United as a first team player?

To be fair, he started the season brilliantly, clicking somewhat surprisingly with Anderson. They were at the heart of all our best football.

Then he got injured vs Bolton, returned vs Everton and looked brilliant for 55 minutes, got injured, and never returned until around the Ajax-game.

In which he played well enough away from home, I thought.

After that his form has taken a bit of a beating, but I thought alongside Rio he were probably our best player on the night against Wigan. Seemed purposeful at least. Would benefit from a run in the side, which he's not going to get at this stage.

My verdict: Disappointing. After his first few matches, I could see us have a fighting chance in CM in no small part due to this kid. Then injuries pretty much ruined his entire season, which is a bit crap. So, I'm ultimately left disappointed.
I'm not disappointed, I was always reluctant to join the hype but I think in and around his injuries he's shown he has future here, how big a future is down to him. I think Bilbao away was probably the only bad game he's had, there might be another one too. I think we've been a bit more reluctant to put him in the side recently due to his injury problems. I think he will be important to us in the run in, we need some ideas in the final third, I wouldn't mind him playing in a more advance role behind Rooney to be honest.

marjen

I'm not disappointed, I was always reluctant to join the hype but I think in and around his injuries he's shown he has future here, how big a future is down to him. I think Bilbao away was probably the only bad game he's had, there might be another one too. I think we've been a bit more reluctant to put him in the side recently due to his injury problems. I think he will be important to us in the run in, we need some ideas in the final third, I wouldn't mind him playing in a more advance role behind Rooney to be honest.
I guess I was caught up in the hype to be honest, I so wanted him to succeed this season, and the injuries was incredibly frustrating at a time when options were running so very thin in central midfield.

He's young, but he's 22 years old, and central midfielders need all the gametime they can get to develop their games.. So I hope he can stay fit and become a mainstay of our midfield next season.

ArmchairCritic

I guess I was caught up in the hype to be honest, I so wanted him to succeed this season, and the injuries was incredibly frustrating at a time when options were running so very thin in central midfield.

He's young, but he's 22 years old, and central midfielders need all the gametime they can get to develop their games.. So I hope he can stay fit and become a mainstay of our midfield next season.
At this moment on time he needs to work on not getting injured if that makes any sense, whether that means Gym work or specific dietary requirements. I'm sure he'll sort it out. For me Cleverley is at minimum a replacement for Park, he can be much more though.

Amir

His injuries mean that this season hasn't answered anything. There's promise, we've known that before. Whether it's enough to make him a Manchester United first team player, whether he has the consistency, whether he can stay fit... Big questions that haven't been answered. But I'd like to see more of him.

marjen

His injuries mean that this season hasn't answered anything. There's promise, we've known that before. Whether it's enough to make him a Manchester United first team player, whether he has the consistency, whether he can stay fit... Big questions that haven't been answered. But I'd like to see more of him.
Yes, this is the frustrating thing for me. He came out of the blue at the start of the season, as a genuine option in CM, new blood there.. But then we suddenly never got to see whether he can do it consistantly in that position, which is a bit of a letdown.

Varun

Staff
First and foremost, he needs luck with injuries. Unless he can get to a stage where he's playing week in week out, we'l never know if he's just a guy with potential or capable of delivering on a regular basis.

From what i've seen of him and from what i've heard from people who know much more about the game and about him, am very excited about the prospect of him developing into a genuinely top quality CM. he has it in him, that much is evident, its about whether he can deliver on a consistent basis.

On a different note, missed VIMs outrage yesterday :lol:. getting riled up on some player's tweets. quality.,

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's done well considering and hopefully next season will kick on. We need him fit and ready to play.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
On a different note, missed VIMs outrage yesterday :lol:. getting riled up on some player's tweets. quality.,
Where do you get your copious amounts of arrogance from? You are not near worthy of it. I was simply making a point that I'd rather the lad concentrated on his football, the only times you could say I was 'riled up' were at totally irrelevant replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Should start against villa imo.

carrick scholes

clev

valencia rooney nani

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Is the 0 really necessary anyway?

I do think has a point though. Though I haven't noticed it too much in Cleverley. There is certainly a trend in young footballers over the last 10 years to imagine they've reached Beckham levels of respect without Beckham levels of performance. Beckham only became DB7 when he was well established. I blame them not having to clean the first team's boots personally.

R9 was the first one anyway.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I thought he was probably our brightest spark yesterday. He needs to play more, and tbh, considering Giggsy's form in last couple of months I don't understand why is Giggs playing ahead of him.

Bear Attack

I don't know why we lost it but some of that first touch football we played in the opening couple of games was absolutely stunning.

kelvinkato77

I thought he was probably our brightest spark yesterday. He needs to play more, and tbh, considering Giggsy's form in last couple of months I don't understand why is Giggs playing ahead of him.
I agree with this completely. When he came on, he seemed to be one of the few with any ideas. I thought he was good yesterday and I think that he should be playing more. If he is being eased back in, why? Are we trying to make sure he is healthy for the pre-season tour?

Varun

Staff
Where do you get your copious amounts of arrogance from? You are not near worthy of it. I was simply making a point that I'd rather the lad concentrated on his football, the only times you could say I was 'riled up' were at totally irrelevant replies.
I dont need to be arrogant to laugh at someone branding other posters fanboys for showing faith and backing a youngster.

While you're spot on about young players needing to focus more on football and not get carried away by the media and the internet, i dont see how Cleverley's on field performances lead you to believe otherwise. Everybody associated with the club has only praise for him.

pete_8

Have to agree, Giggs is more of an impact player these days. Might be a fitness issue, hope he starts Saturday with Scholes and Carrick.

He and Anderson looked great at the start of the season, although we did leave gaping holes at times.

Zen86

I agree with this completely. When he came on, he seemed to be one of the few with any ideas. I thought he was good yesterday and I think that he should be playing more. If he is being eased back in, why? Are we trying to make sure he is healthy for the pre-season tour?
He's been shakey at times, more than likely due to a very stop-start season for him. It's a massive pressure on him to come back during peak title-race time in such an important position.

Godfather

On paper this looks great, on Fifa this looks great, but I bet if this team were to play it'd just disappoint somehow.
this :lol:
Rooney hasnt played up front alone all season long, I doubt it would work immediately. And Clev hasnt played much the last couple of weeks.

But we won't play 4-3-3 at home anyway.

kelvinkato77

He's been shakey at times, more than likely due to a very stop-start season for him. It's a massive pressure on him to come back during peak title-race time in such an important position.
Of course he has. It's been quite some time since he has had a run of games. Giggs has been shaky of late and for me, right now, I would feel more comfortable with Cleverly starting over Giggs in the games that Giggs would start and Giggs coming off of the bench as an 'impact sub'.

I think with Scholes in the team Cleverly would excel, he is a live wire and his link up play is very good
Though I agree with this, I don't think that Carrick is drop-able and I don't want to see Rooney up top on his own. I wouldn't mind seeing that three man midfield with Welbeck as one of the wide forwards though.

Devil may care

Too much expectation placed on him due to our CM situation, I am surprised to see some doubting him even making it here, at the very least he'll be a good squad man.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It's Scholes or Cleverley partnering Carrick in CM until the end of the season. No more Giggs their please.

Bring Giggs on to play behind the striker in the closing minutes of matches. Well, Any position that doesn't accentuate his defensive inadequacies would be nice.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Form tailed off? Shakey? He had that one poor away match against Bilbao I think. Otherwise when he's been fit he's been excellent. Even yesterday amidst a poor team performance he was extremely sharp and we only began to keep the ball when he replaced Giggs in the centre.

With regards to his season, disappointed by the unfortunate injuries but delighted with the player. I didn't expect this kind of impact and hell be a huge part of this team in the future.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Don't think he's injured, just that the midfield partnership of Scholes and Carrick has been too good to break up recently.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Perhaps, even though he's not injured, he might be struggling for match fitness?

Status
Not open for further replies.