Tom Cleverley | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Cleverley is a better player than some people give him credit for. If we are really honest, theres only a few players who's been any good over the last 3 seasons. To single him out of that crap midfield is wrong. Carrick and Fletch play behind him and expect him to do all their running. Made worse by the fact we've been reluctant to change our system so often he's playing against 2 or 3 players. Carrick and Fletch get a nose bleed if they go up further than the half way line.

I'm not saying he's not contributed to it but lets at least have some context to it....

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
Is this the Michael Carrick thread?...
He did it fine with Anderson and fine with Phil Jones this season. The key is that the second man of the two man midfield is dynamic and mobile.. In other words.. not Michael Carrick.

If he's to keep his spot over Ander Herrera by some miracle then he's going to have to be playing pretty bloody well. (Or more advanced in a three) So anything along those lines is positive. Hopefully we'll be surprised by Tom Cleverley this season. Not getting the recognition he deserves, of course that is the Caf narrative.. But surprised none the less.
Michael Carrick has a great passing range and his positioning is excellent which makes up for his lack of mobility. He made team of the season the season before last. Cleverly and Anderson are great going forward but we are always vulnerable with the 2 of them. As for Phil Jones he is a decent stop gap at best. We cannot rely on a footballer who throws himself at everything. Midfield is for cooler heads. There was no midfield performance worth mentioning last season. Cleverly is not going to turn into 20goal/assist player overnight. He's not a young player with plenty of room for improvement like Ramsey was or Wilshere is.

shivab

Michael Carrick has a great passing range and his positioning is excellent which makes up for his lack of mobility. He made team of the season the season before last. Cleverly and Anderson are great going forward but we are always vulnerable with the 2 of them. As for Phil Jones he is a decent stop gap at best. We cannot rely on a footballer who throws himself at everything. Midfield is for cooler heads. There was no midfield performance worth mentioning last season. Cleverly is not going to turn into 20goal/assist player overnight. He's not a young player with plenty of room for improvement like Ramsey was or Wilshere is.
it really depends on what you are expecting from him. I dont think anyone expects him to be a ' 20goal/assist player' . He can be a good squad player and we need to keep him. Fans need to show some support to this kid instead of berating him at every opportunity.

When he first broke into the first team, anderson and him did well together and cleverley showed some promise. it seems hes lost all the enthusiasm he once had. even on the last day of the season, rooney had to coerce him to applaud the united fans because he just didnt want to do it, clearly because of the lack of appreciation and the abuse he gets from them. People need to lay off and the new manager needs to give him regular game time in FA cup, carling cup, and matches against easier teams to boost his confidence. Imo, he isnt world class and will never be, but he can still be a useful player.

Lu Tze

it really depends on what you are expecting from him. I dont think anyone expects him to be a ' 20goal/assist player' . He can be a good squad player and we need to keep him. Fans need to show some support to this kid instead of berating him at every opportunity.

When he first broke into the first team, anderson and him did well together and cleverley showed some promise. it seems hes lost all the enthusiasm he once had. even on the last day of the season, rooney had to coerce him to applaud the united fans because he just didnt want to do it, clearly because of the lack of appreciation and the abuse he gets from them. People need to lay off and the new manager needs to give him regular game time in FA cup, carling cup, and matches against easier teams to boost his confidence. Imo, he isnt world class and will never be, but he can still be a useful player.
Why can he be a good squad player? A good squad player can be relied upon, like Nicky Butt, John O'Shea, Wes Brown or Park Ji Sung - Cleverley has not shown he can be at(or frankly, near) any of their levels so far. We give far too much time to our "young n lernin" academy projects - Cleverley is coming up for 25 ffs. He isn't a kid any more. You think anyone was calling Juan Mata a kid 14 months ago, when he was the same age as Cleverley? People are still applauding him off the basis of a few good games years back, it's time for others to get their chance.

Last edited:

shivab

Why can he be a good squad player? A squad player can be relied upon, like Nicky Butt, John O'Shea, Wes Brown or Park Ji Sung - Cleverley has not shown he can be at any of their levels so far.
All the players youve named have been called average and not good enough at many points in their united careers (barring Butt). Cleverley had been played deep by moyes on most ocassions last season. as someone very rightly pointed out that we have to put things in context.

Cleverley did well with anderson but his performances while playing next to carrick have not been good enough. He isnt the kind of player moyes was trying to make him into. He likes to keep the ball moving quickly which we didnt do as a team at all last season. so if he looks bad in an underperforming team then its really no surprise.

Because he was doing fine under Fergie, I think we should wait and watch how he does under Van Gaal. His type of football might just suit cleverley. He has the ability to play central midfield, provided he gets his confidence back. he isnt good enough to start important games but he is good enough to be a back up.

Roboc7

Why can he be a good squad player? A good squad player can be relied upon, like Nicky Butt, John O'Shea, Wes Brown or Park Ji Sung - Cleverley has not shown he can be at(or frankly, near) any of their levels so far. We give far too much time to our "young n lernin" academy projects - Cleverley is coming up for 25 ffs. He isn't a kid any more. You think anyone was calling Juan Mata a kid 14 months ago, when he was the same age as Cleverley? People are still applauding him off the basis of a few good games years back, it's time for others to get their chance.
Completely everyone harks back to a few decent games he had with anderson but even I those games he wasn't as great as people seem to think. We need to aim higher and I agree it's time to give others a chance.

Lu Tze

All the players youve named have been called average and not good enough at many points in their united careers (barring Butt). Cleverley had been played deep by moyes on most ocassions last season. as someone very rightly pointed out that we have to put things in context.

Cleverley did well with anderson but his performances while playing next to carrick have not been good enough. He isnt the kind of player moyes was trying to make him into. He likes to keep the ball moving quickly which we didnt do as a team at all last season. so if he looks bad in an underperforming team then its really no surprise.

Because he was doing fine under Fergie, I think we should wait and watch how he does under Van Gaal. His type of football might just suit cleverley. He has the ability to play central midfield, provided he gets his confidence back. he isnt good enough to start important games but he is good enough to be a back up.
"Did well with Anderson" for about 5 games years ago. I disagree he was doing fine under Fergie, I think many, myself included, were deeply underwhelmed with him under Fergie bar a few games. Cleverley hasn't shown anything like the talent JOS, Wes Brown, Park or Butt had by the time they were 25. It's time to stop thinking of him as a kid. He's almost 25, and has had about 10-15 good games in a Manchester United shirt out of 78. That is simply not good enough.

shivab

Completely everyone harks back to a few decent games he had with anderson but even I those games he wasn't as great as people seem to think. We need to aim higher and I agree it's time to give others a chance.
theres no doubt 'we need to aim higher'. but that doesnt mean getting rid of cleverley. Fletcher and carrick are nearing the end of their united careers and its likely that anderson is going this summer. We should buy world class CMs and keep cleverley as a back up player. no one here is saying cleverley should be first choice. i dont think people realize that there something called a 'squad'.

Lu Tze

theres no doubt 'we need to aim higher'. but that doesnt mean getting rid of cleverley. Fletcher and carrick are nearing the end of their united careers and its likely that anderson is going this summer. We should buy world class CMs and keep cleverley as a back up player. no one here is saying cleverley should be first choice. i dont think people realize that there something called a 'squad'.
Is Cleverley as good as Bayern, Barca, Real, Chelsea et al's back up CM's? He is absolutely nowhere near them. That is the standard we should be shooting for. Filling the squad with mediocrity in the name of rotation is part of what has made us look so disjointed in recent times.

shivab

"Did well with Anderson" for about 5 games years ago. I disagree he was doing fine under Fergie, I think many, myself included, were deeply underwhelmed with him under Fergie bar a few games. Cleverley hasn't shown anything like the talent JOS, Wes Brown, Park or Butt had by the time they were 25. It's time to stop thinking of him as a kid. He's almost 25, and has had about 10-15 good games in a Manchester United shirt out of 78. That is simply not good enough.
good enough for what? for starting games? yes you're right. but at the moment no united central midfielder can stake a claim to a starting 11 position. they all are very average. if we are trimming the fat/getting rid of deadwood, cleverley should definitely not be on that list. we need squad players and cleverley is a good enough squad player. given that we have 60 games in a season obviously there is a role for squad players of cleverleys level.

shivab

Is Cleverley as good as Bayern, Barca, Real, Chelsea et al's back up CM's? He is absolutely nowhere near them. That is the standard we should be shooting for. Filling the squad with mediocrity in the name of rotation is part of what has made us look so disjointed in recent times.
like who? Hoijberg? Emere Can (whose was at Leverkusen and now a LFC )? Real have casamiero and Illaramendi, Barca have Song etc. I dont think any one of them is any better than Cleverley. And Cleverley is 1 player. No one says our midfield shouldnt consist of Herrera, Gundogan and Vidal, and we shouldnt sign these players because we have cleverley. Im merely saying that even if we had all these players there would still be room for him.

Litch

Disagree. Our problem isnt the back up, its the starting CM's thats the problem. I'd agree with you if we were saying Vidal or Kroos were out and we Cleverly wasn't good enough back. That aside to contradict myself, I feel Cleverley next to Vidal et al would look like a different player anyway....

Not sure Real or Barca's back are that great.....?

Lu Tze

Song/Illaramendi are in my opinion significantly better than Cleverley, though clearly, each to their own. Hojbjerg is incomparable because he's A. 18 and B. a brilliant prospect. Casemiro is 22 and has previously been a regular in Sao Paolo's midfield, got a transfer to Real, so I think he's showed quite a bit more than Clev so far. If Cleverley stays and plays 10 games, you've got to ask why those games aren't going to young, talented(Hojbjerg-esque) players who may one day develop into first teamers, such as Powell.

ThanksBoss26

What might bring the Cleverley situation to a head this summer is that he only has one year left on his contract. So the Club will have to decide between; offering him a new one to protect their right to a transfer fee (providing he signs it of course), cashing in this summer, or letting van Gaal take a look and risk losing him on a free next summer.

At the moment, I'm not sure which of these options we'll take.

m1y2

Lets not speculate about his ability and wait for what he shows us next season under proper manager in proper philosophy/tactics. IMO if hes given a chance and his confidence is raised he can be valuable player, not ramsey level but maybe fletcher level, he certainly has got more talent than darren has ever had who still was able to become one of the best Cms in the world for one season thanks to his hardwork.. so dotn write celverley off. Here comes the new era. Him and Valencia can proove themselves.. if he doesnt proove himself this year let him go and give chance to rothwell and pearson or powell if hes mentally up to it

shivab

Song/Illaramendi are in my opinion significantly better than Cleverley, though clearly, each to their own. Hojberg is incomparable because he's A. 18 and B. a brilliant prospect. Casemiro is 22 and has previously been a regular in Sao Paolo's midfield, he's certainly proved a lot more than Cleverley thus far. If Cleverley stays and plays 10 games, you've got to ask why those games aren't going to young, talented(Hojberg-esque) players who may one day develop into first teamers.
Firstly, i dont agree that Illaramendi is any better or Song. Ive seen them play enough to know that. You are right, Hojberg cant be compared, but you mentioned back ups therefore hojbergs name had to be mentioned. Casmiero hasnt proved anything, i dont know where you deuduced that from? at the moment ben pearson seems like the only one from the academy who can make a step up to the bigger stage and i doubt cleverley is all thats stopping him. cleverley is a squad player and ive said before every team needs them. We need to buy world class players and like with brown o'shea or park, cleverley can be moved on when we have back up players who are better than him. but for the forseeable future cleverley should stay at united.

LR7

Firstly, i dont agree that Illaramendi is any better or Song. Ive seen them play enough to know that. You are right, Hojberg cant be compared, but you mentioned back ups therefore hojbergs name had to be mentioned. Casmiero hasnt proved anything, i dont know where you deuduced that from? at the moment ben pearson seems like the only one from the academy who can make a step up to the bigger stage and i doubt cleverley is all thats stopping him. cleverley is a squad player and ive said before every team needs them. We need to buy world class players and like with brown o'shea or park, cleverley can be moved on when we have back up players who are better than him. but for the forseeable future cleverley should stay at united.
I won't comment on Hojberg or Casemiro but I agree with the rest of your post. So much rubbish spouted in this thread. Cleverley not being good enough to even be a squad player here is just the latest in a very long line.

Roboc7

I do understand there is a squad but I would rather have squad players with lots of potential or who have the ability to compete for a place in the first team. Obviously we can't offload everyone this summer but we can't have a squad full of players like fellaini, fletcher (sadly think he is well passed his best) and Cleverley, we need better than that , in the past we have had butt and fletcher who had way more to offer than Cleverley ever will.

How anyone can argue Cleverley is on par with the squad players at the likes of bayern, barca and real completely baffles me, he wouldn't even be in their squad, song and illaramendi are in a completely different class to Cleverley.

NoLogo

I won't comment on Hojberg or Casemiro but I agree with the rest of your post. So much rubbish spouted in this thread. Cleverley not being good enough to even be a squad player here is just the latest in a very long line.
I think he would do well here as a squad player and maybe he is a late bloomer and we will not see the best of him before he is 27/28. Of course there is also the question of if he will be content with a squad player role or rather look for being a starter for a weaker team.

Shark

@NotShark
I really don't see what he offers right now to even be considered a squad player. When I think of squad players I think of Ji Sung Park, Hernandez and O Shea. I'm not sure Cleverly is going to do that for us, he just keeps things ticking over and does nothing else really.

Eriku

Classic response dismissing it as shite with nothing to back it up other than Cleverley had some decent games a couple of years ago. The guy is average and has been given plenty of opportunities to show what he can do, he has had a few good games when he first came into the side but since then his performances have not been up to scratch and he is nowhere near talented enough to play for utd regularly. People have to understand that just because someone has a few good games it doesn't make them a good player, you need to play well consistently over a period of time and Cleverley has not done that. He can have a good career somewhere in the premier league but not here, more confidence will see him improve but he just isn't good enough.
No worse than trying to say he's not mobile because Sandro got away from him once :lol:

Roboc7

No worse than trying to say he's not mobile because Sandro got away from him once :lol:
I gave a couple of examples of why he isn't mobile and is an average player, you really don't understand do you, the evidence that he is not good enough comes from his performances week in week out there is nothing to justify the argument he is good enough other than misplaced hope that he will turn into something he is not.

Cracks me up when people try to dismiss or make fun of anyone who says Cleverley is an average player, his performances back up my opinion, the opinion that he is actually a good player come from people who can't admit he has not been good enough and cling to any half decent pass or run thinking it shows he is really just a good player who has lost his confidence. He has only excelled when he was loaned out to Watford, Leicester And to a lesser extent wigan.

Eriku

I gave a couple of examples of why he isn't mobile and is an average player, you really don't understand do you, the evidence that he is not good enough comes from his performances week in week out there is nothing to justify the argument he is good enough other than misplaced hope that he will turn into something he is not.

Cracks me up when people try to dismiss or make fun of anyone who says Cleverley is an average player, his performances back up my opinion, the opinion that he is actually a good player come from people who can't admit he has not been good enough and cling to any half decent pass or run thinking it shows he is really just a good player who has lost his confidence. He has only excelled when he was loaned out to Watford, Leicester And to a lesser extent wigan.
Huh? I was just unimpressed by your reasoning to support the notion that he's not mobile. I've not tried to refute anything you've said about him being average, which he clearly is right now. I think he's got a higher level in him, if used right, but that doesn't mean he isn't average right now.

So please, read carefully and don't throw around "you really don't understand"s.

Roboc7

Huh? I was just unimpressed by your reasoning to support the notion that he's not mobile. I've not tried to refute anything you've said about him being average, which he clearly is right now. I think he's got a higher level in him, if used right, but that doesn't mean he isn't average right now.

So please, read carefully and don't throw around "you really don't understand"s.
What was their in your comment then, if you understood you would have known it was and example, I wasn't saying that it happened once so it must be true. He lacks mobility and I would have thought most supporters would remember the incidents I mentioned.

Eriku

What was their in your comment then, if you understood you would have known it was and example, I wasn't saying that it happened once so it must be true. He lacks mobility and I would have thought most supporters would remember the incidents I mentioned.
Because mobility isn't just deduced from a handful of defensive incidents? It's also to do with general movement on the pitch, and it's plain for most people to see that Tom Cleverley isn't really lacking in that department. He might not be the biggest dynamo out there, but he's plenty mobile.

Revan

Assumptionman
like who? Hoijberg? Emere Can (whose was at Leverkusen and now a LFC )? Real have casamiero and Illaramendi, Barca have Song etc. I dont think any one of them is any better than Cleverley. And Cleverley is 1 player. No one says our midfield shouldnt consist of Herrera, Gundogan and Vidal, and we shouldnt sign these players because we have cleverley. Im merely saying that even if we had all these players there would still be room for him.
Illarramendi and Song are clearly better than Cleverley, I don't see how anyone can even argue it. Hiojberg isn't a squad player for Bayern, he is a youngster (similar to if we give a chance to Pearson). And Emere Can wasn't on the list of clubs Lu Tze mentioned.

Cleverley wouldn't have a hope to be on the bench of those teams.

Revan

Assumptionman
The funny thing is that on those 3 and a half games, Anderson was the better player. But anyway, it goes with stages here, now people will start to up him until the next time he plays and people again realize that he isn't good.

Roboc7

Because mobility isn't just deduced from a handful of defensive incidents? It's also to do with general movement on the pitch, and it's plain for most people to see that Tom Cleverley isn't really lacking in that department. He might not be the biggest dynamo out there, but he's plenty mobile.
No it's deduced by watching him play regularly and his mobility, passing and all round game are very average I am not saying he has none but he is not mobile compared to better players, just as his passing is not good enough compared to better players.

We are a team trying to win trophies and we cannot carry on accepting mediocrity or hoping players will improve when their performances have been poor over a long period of time.

shivab

I do understand there is a squad but I would rather have squad players with lots of potential or who have the ability to compete for a place in the first team. Obviously we can't offload everyone this summer but we can't have a squad full of players like fellaini, fletcher (sadly think he is well passed his best) and Cleverley, we need better than that , in the past we have had butt and fletcher who had way more to offer than Cleverley ever will.

How anyone can argue Cleverley is on par with the squad players at the likes of bayern, barca and real completely baffles me, he wouldn't even be in their squad, song and illaramendi are in a completely different class to Cleverley.
that tells me that you havent watched illaramendi and song play for their repsective clubs. theyve been below average. no club has only world class players sitting on ther bench. some are mediocre. cleverley can be better than just average. we need to replace carrick and fletcher since they are ageing, not get rid of cleverley. that is not priority

shivab

Illarramendi and Song are clearly better than Cleverley, I don't see how anyone can even argue it. Hiojberg isn't a squad player for Bayern, he is a youngster (similar to if we give a chance to Pearson). And Emere Can wasn't on the list of clubs Lu Tze mentioned.

Cleverley wouldn't have a hope to be on the bench of those teams.
have you watched them play this season? its ridiculous that people think illaramendi or song is any better. i think the people on here need a reality check. we finished 7th last season. we arent going to have the 2 or 3 world class players for every position. in fact most teams dont. cleverley is a squad player. this isnt fifa 14 or PES.

shivab

No it's deduced by watching him play regularly and his mobility, passing and all round game are very average I am not saying he has none but he is not mobile compared to better players, just as his passing is not good enough compared to better players.

We are a team trying to win trophies and we cannot carry on accepting mediocrity or hoping players will improve when their performances have been poor over a long period of time.
yes hes been bad last season, like all of our midfielders. so why single him out? if you take any of our CMs they would pale in comparison to the best in the world. that doesnt mean we sell them all. cleverley is still young and still has a lot to offer as a squad player. he can only imrpove under a coach like van gaal. the so called fans here need to learn how to be patient. we arent going to assemble a world XI overnight and we need squad players esp ones who are loyal to the club.

OneUnited24

have you watched them play this season? its ridiculous that people think illaramendi or song is any better. i think the people on here need a reality check. we finished 7th last season. we arent going to have the 2 or 3 world class players for every position. in fact most teams dont. cleverley is a squad player. this isnt fifa 14 or PES.
Exactly and i still believe putting Cleverley in a midfield 3 would really bring the best out of him - hell if you even put him in a two with another box to boxer i think that could work too, just not someone who sits really deep

In Rainbows

The reason why people think Illaramendi and Song are better is because they have had a season in the past much better than anything Cleverley has produced. Yes they had bad seasons, but that doesn't change the fact they have done more than Cleverley.

manutddjw

I'm all in favour of giving Cleverley another season and believe me nothing would make me happier if Cleverley became "the guy" for United. But I will say if there's no real improvement we need start taking a page out of clubs we compare ourselves to like Bayern, Real Madrid and Barcelona, and cut players loose if they aren't at the level required, regardless if they are youth products or not.

The best example I can think of is Emre Can. Like Cleverley he's a good player and could be a regular starter at alot of clubs, but Bayern looked at him and said we have better and we could do better and they moved him on. Bayern didn't keep him around because he was a youth product or because they figured he would make a good squad player.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Cleverley isn't very mobile, he may be in comparison to some of our midfielders but not compared to other players in the league. Look at the penalty he conceded at Sunderland and him trying to stop Sandro shooting at white hart lane, he is slow and is easily by passed.
So two incidents. The first of which was a pure race down the side against Adam Johnson, a very quick winger, in which he kept up but then made a stupid challenge with the wrong foot. So how does being able to keep up with Adam Johnson show a lack of mobility?

On the Sandro goal he was turned too easily and stumbled a bit on the first turn losing some ground which he then covered back up getting goal side of Sandro in which he was turned again and slipped. So questionable defending and turned way to easy but no proof of lack of mobility.

Mobility is more than just purely top sprinting speed as well. Saying Cleverley lacks mobility I seriously have to question how much you have watched him play and know about his game.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yes, and I think that they are both better than Cleverley.

I think that the ideal solution is to have Carrick, Herrera, new CM, a youngster (be it Pearson, Rothwell or even Powell) and a squad player. For the last spot there are Cleverley, Fellaini and Fletcher but I don't think that neither of them is good enough for it. If Fletcher can go near the form and fitness he had before than he would have been excellent but if not, then for me it doesn't matter who get that post.

I also don't think that you should keep players in order for them to be squad players. FOr squad players the ideal solution IMO is to keep promising youngsters who have potential to become one day first team players. If Rothwell, Pearson, Powell (and then Pereira) impress then better to give that post to them.

Last edited:

Roboc7

So two incidents. The first of which was a pure race down the side against Adam Johnson, a very quick winger, in which he kept up but then made a stupid challenge with the wrong foot. So how does being able to keep up with Adam Johnson show a lack of mobility?

On the Sandro goal he was turned too easily and stumbled a bit on the first turn losing some ground which he then covered back up getting goal side of Sandro in which he was turned again and slipped. So questionable defending and turned way to easy but no proof of lack of mobility.

Mobility is more than just purely top sprinting speed as well. Saying Cleverley lacks mobility I seriously have to question how much you have watched him play and know about his game.
They are just examples, is that really difficult to understand? It shows he can't ground very quickly and struggles if people run at him, he is easily by passed by any burst of speed on a regular basis and can't get up and down the pitch very well. I think I can safely say I know a lot more about the game than you if you think Cleverley is a mobile midfield player, there are less mobile players I agree and maybe it is one of his better traits but that is the problem even his best attributes are average at this level.

Cleverley is average on every aspect, mobility included and if you a not see that then I don't really know what else to say. Keane, Ince, butt they were all mobile, compared to the them Cleverley isn't, just like his passing is not up to scratch, for a side lower down the league he would be ok and I think he will end up playing at that level fairly soon.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yes, and I think that they are both better than Cleverley.

I think that the ideal solution is to have Carrick, Herrera, new CM, a youngster (be it Pearson, Rothfuss or even Powell) and a squad player. For the last spot there are Cleverley, Fellaini and Fletcher but I don't think that neither of them is good enough for it. If Fletcher can go near the form and fitness he had before than he would have been excellent but if not, then for me it doesn't matter who get that post.

I also don't think that you should keep players in order for them to be squad players. FOr squad players the ideal solution IMO is to keep promising youngsters who have potential to become one day first team players. If Rothfuss, Pearson, Powell (and then Pereira) impress then better to give that post to them.
:lol: Wtf is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.