Tom Cleverley | 2014/15 Performances (on loan at Aston Villa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue always red

70 mins of running the midfield in hard conditions took its toll. If he had been taken off for another midfielder, maybe Fletch, I would have said fine LVG obviously wasn't pleased but seeing as he bought Chicha on I think it was to do with the fact he was fading. In the first half he shared the running responsibility with Herrera, in the 2nd half it was only him.

Integral to the 1st and 2nd Rooney goal. Very good performance, will be surprised if he's not a midfield stay and in with a shout for permanent captaincy.

Code-CX

Average performance from him today in my opinion.

I feel like he can do a job for this team but certainly not as a starter. Think he'd be a decent option against the weeker sides.

Ekeke

Gave the ball away in his half 3 times. I think Van Gaal said Cleverley was going to be the only one who gets 90 mins today (although the commentators during the game said Blacket would too) no surprise he didnt make it.

Blue always red

The thing I don't understand is before the game people were saying he'd play better in a quick passing team, which is precisely what we had in the 1st half in which he played an important role, but as soon as we bring on wingers the only player he links up well with is the only player who you can say actually favours a quick passing game and that was Kagawa.

Its safe to say we lost any measure of control we had on the game after he was taken off, which is surprising seeing as he was playing with makeshift midfielders.

bucky

He was poor first half and improved the second half a bit.

jeff_goldblum

Coming into this thread reminds me that when I can't watch a game for whatever reason I shouldn't necessarily look to the matchday thread for a summary. I take it he wasn't the walking disaster that he was made out to be over there?

Truedevil

This match just proves further that we need to buy at least one midfielder. Clev's just not good enough to start, he has a great engine but offers nothing more than running. I don't want him to leave but i also don't want him anywhere near our 1st eleven.

Blue always red

Coming into this thread reminds me that when I can't watch a game for whatever reason I shouldn't necessarily look to the matchday thread for a summary. I take it he wasn't the walking disaster that he was made out to be over there?
Cleverley, the worst player in the history of United, gets subbed off and the team instantly gets put under massive pressure and lose 2 goals. It's safe to say Cleverley is the reason we almost lost today and the reason Moyes failed last season.

Ekeke

If anyone was then its between him and Amos. Generally the typical Cleverley performance but with 3 sloppy bits of play in his own half losing the ball

In Rainbows

Cleverley, the worst player in the history of United, gets subbed off and the team instantly gets put under massive pressure and lose 2 goals. It's safe to say Cleverley is the reason we almost lost today and the reason Moyes failed last season.
Who replaced Cleverley's midfield role?

footballgirl07

Put himself about and got stuck into a few tackles. Dawdled on the ball a couple of times and only one real slack pass. Did look up and spread the play okay as well. Something to build on and we did miss a player like him when he went off.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He lost a couple of duels challenging for the ball, but other than that it was a typical Cleverley performance. Tidy, nothing special but not too bad either. Nothing worth making a big deal out of!

Blue always red

Who replaced Cleverley's midfield role?
Van Gaal was that disgusted with the performance of Cleverley he subbed on a striker just to show that he favoured a midfield of Kagawa, Nani and Lingard over Cleverley. Disgusting performance and he should be sold to West Ham where he will find his position in a bottom-end team.

In Rainbows

Lingard. Joining a midfield containing Kagawa

The most important part
Exactly why the midfield looked like crap as soon as he went off. It wasn't because he's decent. It was because he was replaced by a player that isn't a midfielder. No idea why Blue Always Red doesn't see it that way.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He will become a Sunderland or Villa player.

daniel9988

Even if we don't sell Cleverley, we need another midfielder who can actually influence the match this season. Another Herrera would be great.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Some very poor moments (in the first half), overall decent enough, I suppose. Hard to tell with that set-up today, we looked a bit shapeless to me in the second half, ending the match with Kagawa in the middle "partnered" by...Lingard. Or Nani. Or something. Certainly wouldn't be in favour of selling poor Clev given our other current options, he's miles better as a central midfielder than any of those, at least.

Bit worrying that he was subbed off - since I thought giving him the armband meant ninety for him, like with Fletcher last. Could have been completely knackered, of course - it was bloody hot, by the look of it.

Blue always red

Exactly why the midfield looked like crap as soon as he went off. It wasn't because he's decent. It was because he was replaced by a player that isn't a midfielder. No idea why Blue Always Red doesn't see it that way.
Is it fair to then base judgement of his game on his second half performance when he was playing with a winger and a No. 10? Rock solid in the first half, had a hand in the 1st Rooney goal and was integral to the penalty.

Hed Zitin

Absolutely agree. Kagawa and Lingard as the CM would make Joey Barton look amazing after being subbed.

Ekeke

Is it fair to then base judgement of his game on his second half performance when he was playing with a winger and a No. 10? Rock solid in the first half, had a hand in the 1st Rooney goal and was integral to the penalty.
What? He was worse in the first half

In Rainbows

He didn't have a rock solid first half. The team as a whole was bad, but players like Herrera, Mata, and especially Rooney had moments where they were threatening. Cleverley had nothing of the sort.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I don't see that performance having given Van Gaal any confidence in him.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You're completely glossing over the fact that for the first 30minutes of the match, and the first 20 mins of the 2nd half Roma were the better team, in control of possession and pace. All this happening with Cleverley on the pitch.

Plus, their first goal was a wonder goal, Pjanic was deep in his own half Cleverley wouldn't have been near him had he been on the pitch.
The second goal was a harsh penalty. But their build up play was similar to what they had been doing all while Cleverley was on the pitch, the difference was that they got a penalty.

It's not like Cleverley was the difference between us keeping a clean sheet. And he was the glue that held the entire midfield together, breaking up play, winning the ball back etc

He didn't play badly but he didn't impress and this was the game where as a captain he should've impressed.

Blue always red

Can I just ask a quick question guys. When we played 3-5-2 the other night, who did we have? Fletch - Herrera - Mata right? Who did we have tonight? Clev - Herrera - Mata right?

Forgive me if I am mistaken but Cleverley played in the same role as Fletcher and if you're asking the holding/DM to be threatening, you're asking the wrong question...

There were also 2x where Herrera knocked the ball out of play trying to pass it to Valencia, but his name is not Cleverley so...

Kostur

海尔的老板
Can I just ask a quick question guys. When we played 3-5-2 the other night, who did we have? Fletch - Herrera - Mata right? Who did we have tonight? Clev - Herrera - Mata right?

Forgive me if I am mistaken but Cleverley played in the same role as Fletcher and if you're asking the holding/DM to be threatening, you're asking the wrong question...

There were also 2x where Herrera knocked the ball out of play trying to pass it to Valencia, but his name is not Cleverley so...
No, actually it was Herrera who was mostly falling back, playing deeper because Tom was invisible most of the match. With Fletcher, he's had plenty of more freedom to go around and playmake.

Speaks volumes when a 30 year old midfielder that went through a lot of health problems that stopped him from playing football for nearly 2 years makes you look like a fecking pub team player.

For all the build-up tough talk it was yet another disappointment from him.

Bojan11

I know this is harsh. But I'd rather have Fellaini in the team than him. Atleast he'd elbow a few people.

Blue always red

You're completely glossing over the fact that for the first 30minutes of the match, and the first 20 mins of the 2nd half Roma were the better team, in control of possession and pace. All this happening with Cleverley on the pitch.

Plus, their first goal was a wonder goal, Pjanic was deep in his own half Cleverley wouldn't have been near him had he been on the pitch.
The second goal was a harsh penalty. But their build up play was similar to what they had been doing all while Cleverley was on the pitch, the difference was that they got a penalty.

It's not like Cleverley was the difference between us keeping a clean sheet. And he was the glue that held the entire midfield together, breaking up play, winning the ball back etc

He didn't play badly but he didn't impress and this was the game where as a captain he should've impressed.
Is this not how we set out to play, a similar setup to Holland, no? They had more possession, but apart from the ball over the top in the 1st few mins which caught our back 3 flat footed they didn't have any clear cut chances. If Nani and Kagawa were renowned hard-workers who are known for their running, I'd agree and say Cleverley wasn't holding the team together, but when these attacking players gave the ball away needlessly, there was only 1 midfielder running around in those conditions. He basically did the running of 3 men after the 1st half.

Status
Not open for further replies.