Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Playing well for Leicester City thus far since moving on loan three weeks ago. Starts every week, has been scoring and setting up goals. Leicester sit 10 points atop League One, seem a lock for promotion to the Championship. He's 19.

For those who have seen him play, do you think he might ever have a future at Old Trafford as a squad player, or will he eventually be the latest Academy product to be sold to a Championship team for around £1m?

jb8521

Cleverley has made incredible progress the past 18 months when hes gone from a decent full back to a very talented goal scoring midfielder. If he keeps progressing the way he has been he could have a bright future.

68-99-08

One of the brighter spots of our reserve team but just dont think he'll cut it. Despite his fight and determination in his game I think hes a bit small and is not really technically gifted. Dont think hes good enough to break into our first team. One thing that does give him an outside shot is his versaitility.

Ekeke

Playing well for Leicester City thus far since moving on loan three weeks ago. Starts every week, has been scoring and setting up goals. Leicester sit 10 points atop League One, seem a lock for promotion to the Championship. He's 19.

For those who have seen him play, do you think he might ever have a future at Old Trafford as a squad player, or will he eventually be the latest Academy product to be sold to a Championship team for around £1m?
Squad player or sold depends entirely on his patience and how impressive his displays will be for the first team if he waits around long enough to be given more of them. If he impresses he'll get more games and he might be content getting a few games a season for a while.

We actually dont sell players till they ask to leave. So if he's dead set on being a United player, he will be till one day he decides he's not getting enough football and needs to leave for the sake of his career.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
One of the brighter spots of our reserve team but just dont think he'll cut it. Despite his fight and determination in his game I think hes a bit small and is not really technically gifted. Dont think hes good enough to break into our first team. One thing that does give him an outside shot is his versaitility.
I think he is technically gifted, but I'm not sure it's enough to overcome his small physique and make it at United.

prateik

back at united after dislocating his shoulder ..
hope he recovers soon .. he did well at Leicester

PS18

Was just starting to establish himself there. Will presumably miss the England U20 game next week now too, which is a real shame for him.

Dislocated shoulder could mean weeks or months out, hopefully it's the former.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
On ths could he make it theme, there are a number who could. He was impressive in the reserves. He's even scored a goal from open play unlike anderson :)

I don't think we can write anyone off at the minute. Sorry to hear about his injury. Hopefully he'll pick up where he left off when he returns

twitter thread suggester
Yeah, I was just about to mention that - a bit surprising, but very encouraging for the lad - he was excellent tonight.

Great Hat

Agreed with Top here, he played well tonight, and got his just reward with a goal. His touch was good, his passing and off-the-ball movement were both quite impressive and mature, and his composure for the finish, which he calmly placed instead of blasting showed what a good prospect he is. He's been a real success in the reserves, and although it's early days, we've seen a sign today that he can replicate that form (at least to an extent) against strong opponents in a senior game; albeit a non-competitive one.

Decotron

Agreed with Top here, he played well tonight, and got his just reward with a goal. His touch was good, his passing and off-the-ball movement were both quite impressive and mature, and his composure for the finish, which he calmly placed instead of blasting showed what a good prospect he is. He's been a real success in the reserves, and although it's early days, we've seen a sign today that he can replicate that form (at least to an extent) against strong opponents in a senior game; albeit a non-competitive one.
:confused:

datura

He looked very composed, and neat and tidy on the ball with good feet. I also liked the way that he had the confidence to demand the ball in tight situations. Other than the Carling Cup it is likely that his appearances would be limited so a Premiership loan would probably be the best option if he could get 20+ games.

It was his second goal for us - he scored in South Africa last year, another very composed finish as well.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think we might eventually have to give some of the kids chances in the fa cup as well as the league cup because I think Sir Alex has breathed new belief in the kids - by giving them a chance.

I don't want to name names but let's hope they all keep their heads down and focus on their football.

I'm sure last seasons semi was a sign of things to come.

Tom could be a very good united player. It's still early doors but his performance level is always the same at whatever level.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Might go on loan in the Premiership this season. Big step up from League One.

Fergie considers Cleverley loan
United youngster keen to play for first team

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed rival Premier League clubs have been showing an interest in Tom Cleverley. The promising midfielder impressed on loan at Leicester City in the second half of last season, helping the club to the League One title. Cleverley featured for United in Wednesday's pre-season friendly against Valencia and scored the second goal in the 2-0 win over the Spanish side. He could now be set for another loan move away from Old Trafford after Ferguson confirmed he is weighing up the best option for the 19-year-old.

"We don't know what to do, in fairness," said Ferguson. "A lot of clubs have been in for him, one or two Premier Division teams in fact. He's going to be a good player, the boy. He does need experience of playing, and it's something that I'm looking at, whether we put him out on loan."

Cleverley was delighted to score against Valencia and concedes he is waiting for his manager to make a decision on his immediate future. He told MUTV: "I was told last week I'd be training with the first team this week, then I got put in the squad. It's all happened a bit fast, but obviously it's my first game at Old Trafford for the first team, but I think I did well. When you train with the first team day in, day out it makes you work harder and see you can do it. I want to play in the first team here and get a look-in. I'm not too sure (what the future holds), to be honest. The plan was to go on loan, but I'll just see if I figure in the gaffer's plans now and just take every game as it comes."

PS18

He's been called up to the England U20 squad today. If he impresses he's in with a shout of going to the U20 World Cup next month, which might put a Prem club off taking him on loan at this point.

datura

He's been called up to the England U20 squad today. If he impresses he's in with a shout of going to the U20 World Cup next month, which might put a Prem club off taking him on loan at this point.
That's good news for him. Welbeck is in the squad as well, if he hadn't pulled out of the U21s, conceivably he would have been playing in the Euro U21, Euro U19s and World U20s this summer!

PS18

True, although I'd imagine they'd have rested the poor kid for the U19s if he's gone to the U21s :D

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I rate him. Seems like a better prospect than Gibson in my opinion, but I'm not sure he has found his natural position yet. Seems like a player with so many qualities. I would love to see him more in central midfield. Gibson sometimes strike me as to slow and heavy.

championo

Top Stalker
Played very well tonight. Fergie just mentioned that a couple of premiership clubs are in for him....good stuff
Yeah, I was just about to mention that - a bit surprising, but very encouraging for the lad - he was excellent tonight.
Does anyone else think things are happening too fast and that SAF wanted other team to know what Cleverly can do and so he included him in the team for all to see what he has got.
Or I am being too sinister?

lysglimt

Scout
I rate him. Seems like a better prospect than Gibson in my opinion, but I'm not sure he has found his natural position yet. Seems like a player with so many qualities. I would love to see him more in central midfield. Gibson sometimes strike me as to slow and heavy.
2 completely different players - what I like about Gibson is the fact that he gets 2-3 very good shots on target every time he plays. He's kinda like Lampard in that sense. Cleverley is more all over the plays, buzzing with energy

Decotron

I think he is already better than Tosic
Are you basing this on their respective performances in one pre season friendly? What beer are you on tonight Alex? Must be one of the stronger ones?

Tosic is the better player. Cleverley has yet to even cement a position for himself yet. Ones an international and the other has just been called into an Under 20's squad.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Does anyone else think things are happening too fast and that SAF wanted other team to know what Cleverly can do and so he included him in the team for all to see what he has got.
Or I am being too sinister?
Nothing sinister about it. Pre-season friendlies are often used to put youngsters in the shop window, whether it's to drum up interest in a loan or a permanent deal.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Last season League One, now the Championship. Onwards and upwards. The manager is a Scotsman, Malky Mackay. Seems to have Ferguson's trust, according to these stories from the summer:

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes Watford appointing Malky Mackay is a great choice

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Malky Mackay’s appointment as Watford manager describing it as a “great choice”. There were eventually four candidates singled out for the Watford job but Mackay was the only one interviewed as chairman Jimmy Russo claimed his interview was “mind-blowing”

Russo said: “With Julian and Vince, I spoke to Malky straight after Brendan left because he was high up on the radar as far as I was concerned, in pole position. We had a long chat, about three hours, and then we invited him back for an interview, which we held north of Northamptonshire and we were really impressed and Graham [Taylor] was impressed. I liked what he said and what he believes in. Don’t forget that this is someone that I have been speaking to for five years so it is not somebody who could impress me just by giving me a load of stories because I know what he could do and what he was about. He was always polite and has a lot of integrity professionally. Also Alex Ferguson said that would be a great choice [after speaking to him following the appointment].”
London Evening Standard

The Scot's CV might lack experience - his one previous taste of life in the dug-out came during a three-week stint as caretaker after Adrian Boothroyd's sacking last October - but his references are impeccable, with none other than Sir Alex Ferguson advising Russo to hand him his big break.

"Sir Alex rang on another matter but while he was on I asked for his advice and he said Malky was an excellent candidate," Russo added. "Maybe he saw something of himself in him. Malky also has a strong character, he's a disciplinarian and his personality is what you're looking for. He just said that if we went with Malky we wouldn't go far wrong and that was good enough for me."

Chris H

Video Posting God
Played well and scored on his watford debut
Straight into the side after signing yesterday - good. Played the full 90 in a 4-2 away win, sealed the game in extra time to finish strong. Good indications that this will be a productive loan spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.