Tom Davies

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I know he’s only 18, but I was expecting to see him in the U21s, given how much and how well he’s played recently. Called up to the U19 squad anyway.
He's probably been well enough for the senior team given the current state of the midfielders.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
He's probably been well enough for the senior team given the current state of the midfielders.
Well, almost, yeah. That I could understand that just to protect him and avoid the quite typical hype of an 18-year old making the full debut, he’d be in the U21s.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Well, almost, yeah. That I could understand that just to protect him and avoid the quite typical hype of an 18-year old making the full debut, he’d be in the U21s.
I do agree that he should not be in the senior squad just yet but it does seem strange he hasn't been put in the U21.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Looks a tidy, well rounded player. Got energy and grit but also good technique. At the right sort of club to progress at Everton.

Nick7

This is the lad that wears his socks around his ankles right? Have an irrational hatred of that. Pull them up lad.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I don't get why they do that. Why do you want shin pads around your ankles, it's so annoying and they get in the way. Get those feckers up as close to your knee as you can.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Bit of a bump. What do Everton fans think of him? I'm not sure what he does. The reason I ask is looking at the team today with Gylfi being benched. Now I totally get why Gylfi was benched but I do wonder what you coaching staff is up to during international breaks? Have they watched Gylfi play for Iceland? Why not bump him down the pitch and play him instead of Tom Davies? He's not doing to well as a #10 at the moment, let him graft in midfield. He's good at it, he does it all the time for Iceland running more than anyone on the pitch. Seems so obvious to me yet he's never got to play there.

Walters_19_MuFc

Bit of a bump. What do Everton fans think of him? I'm not sure what he does. The reason I ask is looking at the team today with Gylfi being benched. Now I totally get why Gylfi was benched but I do wonder what you coaching staff is up to during international breaks? Have they watched Gylfi play for Iceland? Why not bump him down the pitch and play him instead of Tom Davies? He's not doing to well as a #10 at the moment, let him graft in midfield. He's good at it, he does it all the time for Iceland running more than anyone on the pitch. Seems so obvious to me yet he's never got to play there.
Because Silva would never play Gomes and Sigurdsson as a double pivot. There's just no balance! Davies may not be anything special, but today he provided a balance for Gomes to go forward and create.

Strange bump seeing as Everton arguable put on their best performance of the season without Sigurdsson today.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Was supposed to be a big talent, and broke through in 2016/17. Hasn't progressed, it seems?

Snow

Because Silva would never play Gomes and Sigurdsson as a double pivot. There's just no balance! Davies may not be anything special, but today he provided a balance for Gomes to go forward and create.

Strange bump seeing as Everton arguable put on their best performance of the season without Sigurdsson today.
Why do you say there's no balance? There's nothing Davies does on the pitch that Gylfi hasn't done for Iceland in the past 10 years. Are you suggesting Davies is playing as a holding midfielder?

Don't think it's a strange bump at all. Firstly I was wondering about who is Tom Davies the player. I'm just not sure what he does or what he's specifically good at. I get why Gylfi was benched, he's been poor, but I don't get why he's never played in that position for Everton since joining them. It's been a problematic position for them and he's good there. He isn't a typical #10, he's an all-round footballer with good passing and shooting which makes him an asset in that sense up the pitch but it will be a natural progression to move further back on the pitch. He's arguably better suited there in many instances.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is basically person from Iceland upset that Iceland player got benched.

Walters_19_MuFc

Why do you say there's no balance? There's nothing Davies does on the pitch that Gylfi hasn't done for Iceland in the past 10 years. Are you suggesting Davies is playing as a holding midfielder?

Don't think it's a strange bump at all. Firstly I was wondering about who is Tom Davies the player. I'm just not sure what he does or what he's specifically good at. I get why Gylfi was benched, he's been poor, but I don't get why he's never played in that position for Everton since joining them. It's been a problematic position for them and he's good there. He isn't a typical #10, he's an all-round footballer with good passing and shooting which makes him an asset in that sense up the pitch but it will be a natural progression to move further back on the pitch. He's arguably better suited there in many instances.
I am suggesting Davies was playing deeper than Gomes, yes. I am also suggesting that Davies is defensively more apt than Sigurdsson.

I don't watch Iceland, but does Sigurddson play in a double pivot? If so, what profile of player does he play next to?

I personally think it would have made more sense to bump a Sigurdsson thread, rather than trying to dig out a young player, who doesn't even play in the same position.

I get you want to see him play because he's from Iceland, but he's obviously not been good enough and they did not miss him today.Actually, Everton completely shut West Ham out today.

Snow

I am suggesting Davies was playing deeper than Gomes, yes. I am also suggesting that Davies is defensively more apt than Sigurdsson.

I don't watch Iceland, but does Sigurddson play in a double pivot? If so, what profile of player does he play next to?

I personally think it would have made more sense to bump a Sigurdsson thread, rather than trying to dig out a young player, who doesn't even play in the same position.

I get you want to see him play because he's from Iceland, but he's obviously not been good enough and they did not miss him today.Actually, Everton completely shut West Ham out today.
It's not about me wanting to see Gylfi play. My point was more about Davies and the tactical aspect of Everton which is why I prefaced my question by asking specifically Everton fans as they have watched him for years now. We ask similar questions about our own players, I was just wondering the same about him.

You are probably correct that I should have bumped the Gylfi thread separately but I wanted to tie the discussion into that position directly related to Davies and I fear that by bumping the Gylfi thread I'd only get buzzwords answers from people that barely watch him, same as I'm getting here except from you. But that's mostly the level of discussion you get from the Caf these days sadly. People making assumptions about comments instead of just reading them and responding.

edit: forgot to answer one part. Yes he plays a double pivot for Iceland on a 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 formation. His defensive duties are heavy, plays next to Aron Einar Gunnarsson if he's fit usually who's a grafter.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

It's not about me wanting to see Gylfi play. My point was more about Davies and the tactical aspect of Everton which is why I prefaced my question by asking specifically Everton fans as they have watched him for years now. We ask similar questions about our own players, I was just wondering the same about him.

You are probably correct that I should have bumped the Gylfi thread separately but I wanted to tie the discussion into that position directly related to Davies and I fear that by bumping the Gylfi thread I'd only get buzzwords answers from people that barely watch him, same as I'm getting here except from you. But that's mostly the level of discussion you get from the Caf these days sadly. People making assumptions about comments instead of just reading them and responding.
Fair enough. That was my honest opinion, though. Just don't think Gomes and Sigurdsson as a pivot would work. One of them would have to play next to someone who provides them with a foil to go forward. Sigurdsson next to Davies, Schneiderlin or Delph would possibly work. Actually, I'm pretty sure he has played in the deeper position for Everton before.

Snow

Fair enough. That was my honest opinion, though. Just don't think Gomes and Sigurdsson as a pivot would work. One of them would have to play next to someone who provides them with a foil to go forward. Sigurdsson next to Davies, Schneiderlin or Delph would possibly work. Actually, I'm pretty sure he has played in the deeper position for Everton before.
Perhaps, I'm not too familiar with how well-rounded André Gomes is. Too me he seems decently capable at both ends for them to be able to work together.

According to transfermarkt at a quick glance he's twice been deployed deeper but both times they were playing 5 at the back.

Still not sure about Tom Davies but he's also played less under Silva than Martinez. 2 seasons ago it felt like Martinez slotted him wherever he felt there was an open spot in midfield.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Didn't see this on the weekend but Gylfi has been crap recently for us and deserved to be dropped. Davies hasn't been given a chance in a while despite performing well on his few rare sub appearances and he played well in the Internationals too apparently. He gives energy to the midfield that the others don't. He needs to improve on his overall game, sure, but he's a local lad and we need the desire/determination right now as much as quality.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Today showed why Davies has been starting over him. He was fantastic. His energy is brilliant and he played two fantastic defence splitting passes that deserved something more to happen from them. Lives and breathes the club. Quality.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Today showed why Davies has been starting over him. He was fantastic. His energy is brilliant and he played two fantastic defence splitting passes that deserved something more to happen from them. Lives and breathes the club. Quality.
I was really impressed with him, should definitely be starting over Siggy.

arthurka

Funny how Everton only stated to create something when Gylfi came on? But I fully agree with you he has been very poor this season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Funny how Everton only stated to create something when Gylfi came on? But I fully agree with you he has been very poor this season.
We created multiple chances before he came on. The game was helped for Gylfi due to the Spurs sending off.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Nice to see him still in the Prem, shame he didn't have the talent to keep up with his desire.

Baxquux

Nice to see him still in the Prem, shame he didn't have the talent to keep up with his desire.
Was he that bad? I'm sure with, say, 18 months of current-era Brighton coaching at 20 or younger, he'd have looked a 45-50m player, if not a Caicedo. Seemed to have better technical skills as well as hustle on the pitch compared to at least one of our current 1st team squad midfielders.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Was he that bad? I'm sure with, say, 18 months of current-era Brighton coaching at 20 or younger, he'd have looked a 45-50m player, if not a Caicedo. Seemed to have better technical skills as well as hustle on the pitch compared to at least one of our current 1st team squad midfielders.
He had hustle and determination, they are his best qualities but I think he was a bit slow at times for PL football compared to other midfielders and I don't think he ever really physically developed enough to cut it at PL level. He should have really been sent out on loan (early in his career).

Tender Teacher

One of those players whose big breakthrough actually hindered their long term development.

Like Hudson-odoi, his lightning impact at an early age made it politically unacceptable with the fans for the club to let him go when such a move was required for his development.

SambaBoy

When did this happen?
To be fair after that City 4-0 game, he was talked about very highly with many tipping him to develop into a top midfielder. Was more of a purple patch/burst on the scene type run of form than anything substantial. Never really kicked on from there, and I don't think it's a great signing for Sheff Utd.

Remember the geese

To be fair after that City 4-0 game, he was talked about very highly with many tipping him to develop into a top midfielder. Was more of a purple patch/burst on the scene type run of form than anything substantial. Never really kicked on from there, and I don't think it's a great signing for Sheff Utd.
Won Man of the Match in his first Premier League start for Everton (aged 17) and won Everton's Young Player of the Year in his first full season.
I genuinely don't remember anything remotely special about him or his impact. Just the usual over-hype that seems to occur a lot.