Tommy Docherty has passed away

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Not my era but my Dad always spoke very fondly of following Utd under him. Good knock but sad to hear.

Not my era but my Dad always spoke very fondly of following Utd under him. Good knock but sad to hear.
Same for me. My dad watched Doc's side home and away and still gets nostalgic about that team, even in the second division.

I just had to come on and say RIP. 92 is a great age.

djembatheking

RIP The Doc . Loved his United team with Coppell and Hill on the wings . Great to watch and played with a swagger .

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Sad to hear it. Tommy was a rogue, to put it politely but he was boss when I started following United and put together a very exciting team. Guys like Gordon Hill, Steve Coppell, the Greenhofs, Sammy McIlroy, Martin Buchan, Gary Bailey, Stuart Pearson, Lou Macari.....God once you start writing, the memories really come rolling back. RIP Tommy.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sad to hear it. Tommy was a rogue, to put it politely but he was boss when I started following United and put together a very exciting team. Guys like Gordon Hill, Steve Coppell, the Greenhofs, Sammy McIlroy, Martin Buchan, Gary Bailey, Stuart Pearson, Lou Macari.....God once you start writing, the memories really come rolling back. RIP Tommy.
A little team that played with abandon. Not strong enough to win the league but gave us a lot of pleasure

PS: Gerry Daly is missing

Addled

RIP The Doc.
His teams always played football in the right way.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What made him a rogue then? Any good stories? Before my time unfortunately, rest his soul.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
What made him a rogue then? Any good stories? Before my time unfortunately, rest his soul.
There's a legion, most famously, the revelation a couple of weeks after the 77 Cup win that he was having an affair with the wife of our physio.

Blake's 7

My first United manager.
Relegation, promotion, Cup Final defeat, Cup Final victory - great attacking play with 2 wingers, quick witted and so many stories.
Oh and more clubs than Jack Nicklaus
RIP Doc

lysglimt

Scout
Awful week for Preston North End. First they lose David Sneddon who played at the club from 59-62 - and 2 days later The Doc dies - he was a legend at Preston and played there for 10 years from 49-58

032Devil

My first United manager.
Relegation, promotion, Cup Final defeat, Cup Final victory - great attacking play with 2 wingers, quick witted and so many stories.
Oh and more clubs than Jack Nicklaus
RIP Doc
United would not have been relegated had he had a little bit more time. He was building a good team.

RIP.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
There's a legion, most famously, the revelation a couple of weeks after the 77 Cup win that he was having an affair with the wife of our physio.
Haha yeah that's probably not the wisest in terms of team morale, oops! :D

Sounds like he and Eden Hazard would have got on quite well though!

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
My teams manager when I started supporting United. Often missed in the conversation about us playing "the United Way".
His team did.
Same here,
I still hold that 2nd division promotion season and the couple of seasons that followed, were some of my favourites ever following United.
The Doc era was a fantastic time to be a Red.

I absolutely believe we'd have won the league under The Doc, and how different might history have been for Liverpool if we had..?
"The Kop'll topple to Hill and Coppell"

.Phil1968

RIP The Doc.
The manager when I first watched United. Hill Coppell Pearson Greenhoff that was a wonderful and exciting team. And he stopped that lot winning the treble. I think he'd have won us the title but for his sacking , he'd built something really special.

Al-T

Same here,
I still hold that 2nd division promotion season and the couple of seasons that followed, were some of my favourites ever following United.
The Doc era was a fantastic time to be a Red.

I absolutely believe we'd have won the league under The Doc, and how different might history have been for Liverpool if we had..?
"The Kop'll topple to Hill and Coppell"
Absolutely agree. United were such a thrilling watch in those three seasons.

The Doc derived the dippers of the treble and for that, I'll always remember him with affection.

That and the Gillette G2 advert!

Saddy

I started watching United in the season when we were relegated to the 2nd division and the Doc was manager - we absolutely blitzed the 2nd division with attacking football and 2 wingers with Stuart Pearson upfront. Steve Coppell and Gordon Hill were 2 fantastic wingers in his team.

He had top deal with the demise of the "holy trinity" with Best, Law and Charlton's era coming to the end and did upset a few people along the way.

It was very sad that he got sacked for having an affair with Mary Brown the physio's wife and then spent the rest of his life happily married with her - after we'd just beaten Liverpool in the FA Cup ending their treble opportunity !

RIP Tommy Doc....

Hughie77

My first utd manager, and the 77 cup final was the one , stevie coppell he signed as a kid had him on poster, wingers ohhh where have they gone .. RIP Doc

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
RIP. As I understand it he was instrumental in getting the club back on its feet after relegation.

wolvored

I genuinely think if the Doc hadnt have fecked off with Laurie Browns missus we would have won the league. We finished 3rd with a young team, won the cup and it looked like great things were on the cards. R.I.P.

Gavinb33

My Dad loved that 77 cup final team with Hill, Pearson, McCari and Coppell as the attack and he was also always adamant that team would have won the league if they allowed him to continue to be manager RIP Doc