4. Ronaldo
5. Martial /Pogba

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Best way way out ahead of everyone.
Gordon Hill not getting enough love.
Sammy McElroy well worth a mention too.

criticalanalysis

Pleasantly surprised with the Nani votes.

That 18m (?) period was some of the best individual play I have seen for Utd in terms of the sheer fun to watch with his dribbling, creativity, technique, pace, power and end product!

Pogba comes close or even matches/exceeds when compared to the same metrics but he doesn't have the opportunity to show it enough in his playing position.

Tiber

Different generations are very hard to compare. Not only were most of us not alive for much of United's history, but many of the old school players kicked shit balls around what was basically a farmers field while the opposition tried to cut them in half.

Very hard to compare the above to Ronaldo running around a modern Old Trafford.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Best - GOAT of dribbling
2. Ronaldo - he is all about dribbling and tricks during his early career
3. Giggs - great dribbler, probably same level as Ronaldo, but with less tricks
4. Charlton - from the footage I’ve watched, he got amazing ball control. I am impressed.
5. Kanchelski - he relied on pace more, but very effective in running past players
6. Nani - good dribbler, not as good as Ronaldo obviously
7. Martial - arguably the best dribbler in our current squad
8. Pogba - he is amazing at times
9. Cantona - he is more about flair and technique rather than dribbling, but he got great ball control skills too
10. Berbatov - amazing ball control, only lacking pace to run past players as frequent as others

Last edited:

JPB

I know the top 3 for a fact.

1. George Best
2. Ronaldo
3. Nani

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The reduction in appraisal for Ryan Giggs is astonishing.

Is it the cheating or playing too long? But even then, he was turning players inside out at the very end of his career, so it can't be that.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Is it the cheating or playing too long? But even then, he was turning players inside out at the very end of his career, so it can't be that.
I couldn't agree more.

Having watched Utd from day one of his senior career right through to his final game, the number of times he left players in his wake are innumerable; at first through lightning pace and latterly sheer footballing intelligence (though he could still turn on the afterburners when necessary).

I still feel obligated to rank Best at #1 based on the general consensus amongst older fans with way more insight on his performances than me, but Giggs is a clear #2

Last edited:
Reactions: Fortitude

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think Sir Bobby is being underrated here. He was so elegant when he was dribbling.

simplyared

1. George Best
2. Ryan Giggs
3. Cristiano Ronaldo
4. Bobby Charlton
5. Nani
6. Steve Coppell
7. Anthony Martial
8. Andrej Kanchelskis
9. Willie Morgan
10. Antonio Valencia

others: Ian Storey-Moore; John Connelly; Lou Macari

Last edited:

Lynty

Put some respect on the great mans name.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It is very odd. He is easily one of the best dribblers you guys ever had.

jem

At one point, him, Messi and Ronaldo was in the same bracket of talents. I think he really was at the same level.

Explosive as feck.
I agree. It was also incredible to see how he picked up the slack when Ronaldo left. His 2009-10 season was simply immense.

Luke1995

Beckham would enter my top 10. His crosses and freekicks were so good that people forget about other parts of his game. Despite not having pace, he managed to go past defenders with skills. Not anything too aesthetically pleasing but efficient.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
How does Scholes not make this list? He may not have been a guy who ran at defenders but his dribbling in tight areas with close control was second to none. Rarely lost the ball and was then able to pick out a pass. Seems as though midfield dribbling is a bit underrated by the OP. And Rooney? Most of his work was done off the ball. As great as he was, he was never a dribbler. He was a pass and move kind of player for the most part...

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
How does Scholes not make this list? He may not have been a guy who ran at defenders but his dribbling in tight areas with close control was second to none. Rarely lost the ball and was then able to pick out a pass. Seems as though midfield dribbling is a bit underrated by the OP. And Rooney? Most of his work was done off the ball. As great as he was, he was never a dribbler. He was a pass and move kind of player for the most part...
he was a better dribbler than scholes imo

Sparky Rhiwabon

Mickey Thomas worth a shout for sure.
I don’t remember him in his prime but I used to watch him for Wrexham in his second spell at the club, aged 37-39. I know it was in the lower leagues and he was at the end of his career but he was class - opposition players couldn’t get near him and he’d either shimmy past them or flick it off with the outside of his boot. Lovely to watch.

Grande

I haven't see half of them, and unless you were born in 1901, I don't think you have either.
We’ll I think we tend to overestimate how independent our evaluations are even when it comes to the players we have seen, so I see no harm in listening to credible sources and taking a shot - it’s all apples and oranges anyway to a degree, isn’t it?

Or are there any names on the list you question in particular when it comes to great dribbling?

10. Eddie Colman
9. Cristiano Ronaldo
8. George Wall
7. Nani
6. Duncan Edwards
5. Eric Cantona
4. Ryan Giggs
3. Billy Meredith
2. Georgie Best
1. Major

Lynty

@Grande

No, it's a good list - though I must admit of not knowing Major.

I'm one of those people who maintain that the standard of football today is leagues above 70s, never mind the pre 20s. So seeing Billy Meredith 6 places above Ronaldo is drastic for me.

But what do I know. My grandfather, who dedicated his life to sport, maintained till his death that Stanley Matthews was the best player he'd ever seen.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Re the RvP discussion: I agree he wasn't a dribbler by the standard of some of the others mentioned, but I can see how it might seem like he was. He did beat players often but more because of positioning and immaculate first touch control, not by steamrolling past them with the ball at his feet.

decorativeed

@Grande

I'm one of those people who maintain that the standard of football today is leagues above 70s, never mind the pre 20s. So seeing Billy Meredith 6 places above Ronaldo is drastic for me.

But what do I know. My grandfather, who dedicated his life to sport, maintained till his death that Stanley Matthews was the best player he'd ever seen.
Major was a St Bernard dog. I think they are having a little joke.

How's nobody mentioned Peter Beardsley yet? Could rival Roy Hattersley on his day.

Grande

@Grande

Major was a St Bernard dog. I think they are having a little joke.

How's nobody mentioned Peter Beardsley yet? Could rival Roy Hattersley on his day.

Apart from the fact Man United wouldn’t exist without him, I’m sure he was quite the dribbler.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyone got a gif of either of the following?

Fellaini's toe punt dribble across the pitch and off the pitch
Smalling's dribble right into an opposition man on the centre of the pitch, and losing the ball, causing carnage at the back

Lynty

Apart from the fact Man United wouldn’t exist without him, I’m sure he was quite the dribbler.
Thank god I didn't try and pretend to have heard of Major, I'd look like a right tool haha

Grande

Thank god I didn't try and pretend to have heard of Major, I'd look like a right tool haha
i was kind of hoping someone would go out on a limb and bluff themselves into a corner, for fear of knowing that Denis Law was The King, Eric Cantona was Le Roi, but not that Mike Phelan has always been called The Major.

But the story of how The Major saved Newton Heath and provided for the birth of Manchester United FC is a great story, and probably mostly true, and who’s to say who was the most valuable being in United history of him and Ronaldo7 after reading this:

https://www.wsc.co.uk/reviews/64-Pl...united-s-first-captain-marvel-by-ean-gardiner

(This also feeds into the Harry for Captain thread, but that’s for another day)

fps

1. Best - GOAT of dribbling
2. Ronaldo - he is all about dribbling and tricks during his early career
3. Giggs - great dribbler, probably same level as Ronaldo, but with less tricks
4. Charlton - from the footage I’ve watched, he got amazing ball control. I am impressed.
5. Kanchelski - he relied on pace more, but very effective in running past players
6. Nani - good dribbler, not as good as Ronaldo obviously
7. Martial - arguably the best dribbler in our current squad
8. Pogba - he is amazing at times
9. Cantona - he is more about flair and technique rather than dribbling, but he got great ball control skills too
10. Berbatov - amazing ball control, only lacking pace to run past players as frequent as others
I agree with this list, though I have a colossal United blind spot in the 70s and 80s.

yan man utd

You have berbatov and Nani but not Marcus Rashford - now he can definitely beat one or two. Martial is up there too.

Sorry to break the rules but I ll pick 9 that I have seen live or Recorded:
(Apart from the top 2 in no particular order)

best
Giggs
Rooney
Strachan
Olsen
Cole
Martial
Rashford
Sharpe
Kanchelskis