Top 10: Premier League Captains

IRELANDUNITED

Does anyone else think Gerrard is lucky to be the top 10 let alone near the top of the list?

diarm

1. Keane
2. Kompany
3. Vieira
4. Cantona
5. Adams
6. Bruce
7. Terry
8. Vidic
9. Morgan
10. Robson

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think Keane and Terry are number 1 and 2. Everyone else is much a muchness with Henderson at the bottom

Falcow

Was going to turn over when Cantona wasn’t even on the list when really he’s number 1. I stuck with it and then Shearer has Henderson ahead of Vidic and Kompany so turned over immediately.

There’s so much amnesia in football. Debates based on myth with serious recency bias and nobody can fecking remember anything.
This. Its why Eric and Bruce are not on the list. Bruce was inspirational. Captained us to the double ffs after captioning us to our first league in 26 years yet henderson is on the list ahead of them?

Same amount of pool players on the list as United. Pool PL wins = 0. United PL wins = 13.

I see.

Art Vandelay

Does anyone else think Gerrard is lucky to be the top 10 let alone near the top of the list?
Yep. He actively cost them a league title by slipping then shooting from everywhere in an attempt to save his own reputation. This after his epic leadership of giving a speech on the pitch. Something Phil Brown was laughed at for.

IRELANDUNITED

Yep. He actively cost them a league title by slipping then shooting from everywhere in an attempt to save his own reputation. This after his epic leadership of giving a speech on the pitch. Something Phil Brown was laughed at for.
My thoughts exactly, Shearer's reasoning for putting him so high in the list was bizarre also - "look at the amount of appearances he has" by that logic Garth Barry should be on the list. Gerrard was a fine player, no doubt about it but as a captain in the Premier League he was a failure.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Not sure why Gerrard is on the list. It is a Premier League captain list, surely only captains from teams that won the league should be in consideration. Henderson scrapes in because he has as good as won it.

Art Vandelay

My thoughts exactly, Shearer's reasoning for putting him so high in the list was bizarre also - "look at the amount of appearances he has" by that logic Garth Barry should be on the list. Gerrard was a fine player, no doubt about it but as a captain in the Premier League he was a failure.
Exactly. If you're including captains that never won the thing then there's better examples than him surely.

berbasloth4

when i think captains and ranking i think whod be missed more if they werent there, would a team done as well without them etc.

you just have to look at 97/98 season we had the league wrapped up and with keane would have walked it. following season hes back and its a terrible.

Terry the same for Chelsea when he was there they just werent the same.

my ten probably would be:
1 keane
2 terry
3 kompany
4 gerrard
5 vieira
6 adams
7 ledley king
8 le tissier
9 shearer
10 cantona

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Tbf John Terry cost Chelsea a CL by slipping and tried his best to cost them another one by randomly kneeing an opposing player in the back for no reason and making his team play with 10 men against probably the most difficult team you can, yet people still put him in top 10.

Handré1990

Tbf John Terry cost Chelsea a CL by slipping and tried his best to cost them another one by randomly kneeing an opposing player in the back for no reason and making his team play with 10 men against probably the most difficult team you can, yet people still put him in top 10.
Several league titles, best defensive record in a season etc.

Edit: Full kit wanker

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Wright justifying Gerrard's inclusion in a Premier League 'best of' by mentioning a performance from the Champions League.

What an absolute bellshaft.

DanClancy

Keane is no 1 by a country mile, judging by what everyone says who's played alongside him he's one of the greatest captains the sport has ever seen for a variety of reasons. I can't think of too many player who had such a positive impact on everyone around them.

Cantona should be in the top 10 as should Steve Bruce, 2 inspirational captains who won back to back league titles and doubles.

Gerrard does deserve to be top 10 although Terry, Kompany & Adams all should be higher as were all better natural leaders.

Redcy

Henderson is in there because the BBC have to have the liverpool love in on everything. Liverpool haven't even won one PL and have two captains in there, United have two, tells me everything I need to know about that list. I can make an argument for Gerrard as he was class, and hauled them along to even stay in the top 6. However I never really am sure if he was a great "captain" or just a great player?

Redcy

Henderson is in there because the BBC have to have the liverpool love in on everything. Liverpool haven't even won one PL and have two captains in there, United have two, tells me everything I need to know about that list. I can make an argument for Gerrard as he was class, and hauled them along to even stay in the top 6. However I never really am sure if he was a great "captain" or just a great player?
feck sake Tim Sherwood should be in there if anything