Top 10 Support/Second-Strikers of All-Time

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Following the discussion of Cantona is one of the game threads I was wondering what the consensus was on the best support/second-strikers of all-time are. To be considered a support striker you cannot be a genuine playmaker/AM nor can you be on average the furthest forward striker of a team and typically played in front two.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
First you have to at least agree on 10 names. It's such a weird role if you exclude main goalscorers! Bergkamp, Cantona, Keegan, Dalglish, Raul, Del Piero...

Some names that you can arguably include: Rooney/Litmanen/Totti/Griezmann/Baggio/Tostao/Streltsov (old)/Gullit

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
First you have to at least agree on 10 names. It's such a weird role if you exclude main goalscorers! Bergkamp, Cantona, Keegan, Dalglish, Raul, Del Piero...

Some names that you can arguably include: Rooney/Litmanen/Totti/Griezmann/Baggio/Tostao/Streltsov (old)/Gullit
Edited the part of main goalscorers to not being the furthest forward attacker.

I'd agree with the above names although I tend to think of Totti more of a playmaker primarily because of his Scudetto winning Roma side.

This might be a little controversial but I think peak Pele (mid to late 60s) was a support-striker.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This might be a little controversial but I think peak Pele (mid to late 60s) was a support-striker.
Well, if you discount the main goalscorer thingy, then sure. It also gives a lot more room to playmakers. Basically — Pelé, Puskás, Rivaldo, T. Müller (forgot about him, fits the original definition as well), Rummenigge, Eusebio, Meazza, Di Stefano... I wouldn't call Rivaldo & Di Stefano playmakers per se, for example.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Hidegkuti, Kubala, Florian Albert.

Baggio would be my GOAT rank 2 for this role. Obviously Pele would be No.1

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Hidegkuti, Kubala, Florian Albert.

Baggio would be my GOAT rank 2 for this role. Obviously Pele would be No.1
Those two I would argue played too deep and across various areas to be strictly defined as deep lying or support forwards. Hidegkuti is a good shout.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
http://pythagorasinboots.com/deep-lying-forwards/

http://pythagorasinboots.com/roaming-forwards/

Some of the names I'd throw in.. Di Stefano due to the sheer range of pitch coverage I would exclude as a pure support-striker but no doubt he could occupy that area and be brilliant.
Looking at your deep-lying forwards link you could make a claim that false 9 Messi could be considered a support-striker but since he has rarely, if ever played there, I think we can ignore him. In the two striker periods he would certainly been a second-striker IMO. I think Di Stefano's range all over the pitch disqualifies him as a support-striker.

So far I reckon we have - Pele, Puskas, Euesbio, Rivaldo and Baggio as Top 5.

Need to work on the next 5

GodShaveTheQueen

Those two I would argue played too deep and across various areas to be strictly defined as deep lying or support forwards. Hidegkuti is a good shout.
For me a great second striker is someone who could score 15-20+ goals a season and let the midfield function without a proper midfield play maker.

You obviously can have other variants of second strikers, but the kind I mentioned above would have the most impact on the team's functioning.

In that regard and definition, I'd put Pele and Baggio right at the top.

Albert and Kubala were very similar too. Staggering number of goals with very good play making tendencies. Kubala's best came from Second striker positions as well.

In fact many would argue Hidegkuti too dropped very deep quite often. Some of Bergkamp's best assists came from the half way line, letting off roadrunners Overmars/Henry with a single defense splitting pass.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Hidegkuti at his best was a false 9 and those are not support strikers.

GodShaveTheQueen

It depends on the tactics of the day really. In today's setups, Puskas/Kocsis/Hidegkuti would all probably not be starting together.

In most 2 striker setups, Hidegkuti would be the support striker paired with Puskas/Kocsis

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You're probably right.. thought you could argue Benzema and Firmino support others and bring other forwards into play.

Šjor Bepo

It depends on the tactics of the day really. In today's setups, Puskas/Kocsis/Hidegkuti would all probably not be starting together.

In most 2 striker setups, Hidegkuti would be the support striker paired with Puskas/Kocsis
for me the support(which is pretty much the second striker) striker is a striker from 2 striker formation, the one that plays behind the main one. So in a 442 you have the likes of Griezmann, Bergkamp, Cantona etc. or in situation where you have a n10 behind the duo so the likes of Del Piero and co.
In that Del Piero scenario you had Pippo leading the line with Zidane at n10. From what i remember(was a long time ago tbf) of doing a research on Hidegkuti he played mostly in a 5 man attack so the likes of Puskas and Kocsis were closer to the roles of supporting strikers then him.

Support is just a term, that player can easily be the main/best player of the team - Griezmann probably the best example.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
for me the support(which is pretty much the second striker) striker is a striker from 2 striker formation, the one that plays behind the main one. So in a 442 you have the likes of Griezmann, Bergkamp, Cantona etc. or in situation where you have a n10 behind the duo so the likes of Del Piero and co.
In that Del Piero scenario you had Pippo leading the line with Zidane at n10. From what i remember(was a long time ago tbf) of doing a research on Hidegkuti he played mostly in a 5 man attack so the likes of Puskas and Kocsis were closer to the roles of supporting strikers then him.

Support is just a term, that player can easily be the main/best player of the team - Griezmann probably the best example.
Bang on.. I retract my previous comments. When you put it like that, there are many false 9's you can't envision playing behind just one striker in a two man pairing.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Following the discussion of Cantona is one of the game threads I was wondering what the consensus was on the best support/second-strikers of all-time are. To be considered a support striker you cannot be a genuine playmaker/AM nor can you be on average the furthest forward striker of a team and typically played in front two.
How I'm interpreting your criteria:
  • Not a genuine playmaker/AM - rules out Maradona, Zidane, Rivera, Charlton - players who did not or could not play a false 9 role if asked (whereas most support strikers could do so well enough in the modern game).
  • Not the primary goalscorer/furthest forward - rules out some of the multi-faceted strikers whose all-round game shone in a two, such as Ronaldo, Henry, Eusebio.
  • Typically played in a central 9/10 partnership - enables you to include the likes of Puskas who would have been part of wider attacks, but rules out the roaming forwards who attacked from wider areas and were often the primary goalscorers such as Cristiano, wide Stoichkov, wide Rummenigge, Messi.
Struggling to categorise the likes of:
  • Zico - clearly a playmaker in some respects but very much a #9.5
  • Bergkamp - played much of his career in a three as the #9, but was textbook support striker in a two).
  • Del Piero - who did a lot of his best work half and half between a support striker and a wide forward.
  • Gullit - fits the criteria but such a unique player

Starter for ten:
  1. Pele
  2. Zico
  3. Puskas
  4. Rivaldo
  5. Baggio
  6. Francescoli
  7. Dalglish
  8. Bergkamp
  9. Totti
  10. Raul

Last edited:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Not sure I fully understand the rather convoluted criteria at first glance, but I'd probably go with something like this:

1. Pelé (famously behind Coutinho for Santos)
2. Ferenc Puskás (typically supporting Hidegkuti and/or Kocsis)
3. Zico (behind Nunes at Flamengo)
4. Eusébio (behind Águas or Torres)
5. Roberto Baggio (behind Vialli, Borgonovo, Ravanelli etc.)
6. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (behind Müller, Hoeneß II, Fischer etc.)
7. Rivaldo (behind Fenômeno)
8. László Kubala (in support of César)
9. Dennis Bergkamp (behind Henry)
10. Omar Sívori (behind Charles and frequently in support of Boniperti)

All of them boast an extensive record as second strikers, and weren't the furthest forward on the pitch (outlined in brackets above) or stereotypical classic playmakers. Maradona, Messi and co. probably don't qualify given their tendencies on the ball, Cruyff and Hidegkuti weren't really second strikers if we're being honest, and Di Stéfano, Meazza, Gullit were a bit too convenient and versatile. Tempted to include Cristiano but I digressed at the last moment as he was frequently ahead of Benzema (who was in more of a supporting role) ...

BlackShark_80

1. Pele
2. Zico
3. Puskas
4. Meazza
5. Eusebio
6. Baggio
7. Rummenigge
8. Rivaldo
9. Kubala
10. Sivori

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Invictus

I think you have the idea. Gio put together a more coherent definition for it above.

@Gio On Zico I was very tempted to put him as an SS from what I have seen but is clearly toward the playmaking end of an SS.

Gullit to me is really an 8 of sorts despite playing behind MVB. He was involved I'm all stages of play.

I'd happily put Bergkamp and Del Piero as SSs.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Invictus

I think you have the idea. Gio put together a more coherent definition for it above.

@Gio On Zico I was very tempted to put him as an SS from what I have seen but is clearly toward the playmaking end of an SS.

Gullit to me is really an 8 of sorts despite playing behind MVB. He was involved I'm all stages of play.

I'd happily put Bergkamp and Del Piero as SSs.
Yeah, I've shifted out Gullit. There's probably a style of play bias in here. The slight and slippery Baggio is perhaps the quintessential support striker, whereas the more muscular styles of Gullit, Rummenigge or Kubala is maybe not what you're getting at. They could be classic target men, all-round centre forwards and roaming attackers, but they performed that supporting duty in a very different way to the others.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yeah, I've shifted out Gullit. There's probably a style of play bias in here. The slight and slippery Baggio is perhaps the quintessential support striker, whereas the more muscular styles of Gullit, Rummenigge or Kubala is maybe not what you're getting at. They could be classic target men, all-round centre forwards and roaming attackers, but they performed that supporting duty in a very different way to the others.
I need to see more of Kalle and Kubala but for me Gullit dropped deeper than the quintessential support striker like Baggio and drifted wide on both sides of the pitch more than generally staying central like the typical SS.

Šjor Bepo

where would you put Fenomeno? For me he is more of a supporting striker then a leading one, in fact if he was playing today im pretty confident he would be playing "on the wing" like the likes of Messi, Neymar, Mbappe etc.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Hidegkuti's role compares to a modern #10 imo given he had 2 strikers ahead of him, but then given his scoring rate a SS could also be applied as well!

Wing forwards (Messi, Neymar) etc should also be technically SS.

Any supporting striker in a 2 striker formation or a wing forward in a 4-3-3 should be the criteria.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
where would you put Fenomeno? For me he is more of a supporting striker then a leading one, in fact if he was playing today im pretty confident he would be playing "on the wing" like the likes of Messi, Neymar, Mbappe etc.
Ah yes, R9 I would generally consider as an SS although his stint in 02 for Brazil and at Barca he was the main striker. Characteristically however I think he does fit the SS mould.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
  1. Pele
  2. Puskas
  3. Rivaldo
  4. Meazza
  5. Baggio
  6. Sivori
  7. Dalglish
  8. Totti
  9. Del Piero
  10. Bergkamp
Tried to keep it strictly second striker.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Brazilian Ronaldo is a striker-a 9 for me. Could definitely easily do the wide-forward role too if that been the role asked of him, but he didn't have too much playmaking or supporting another forward as a primary aim in his game imo. Usually if he was alongside a forward who did, they played the supporting role...Nilis, Raul, Baggio, Bebeto, Edmundo etc..

Is Bergkamp rated over Cantona by consensus here? from what i've watched i'd take Cantona's peak over Bergkamp's in the role at club level in England (Bergkamp being a 9 at Ajax ). Bergkamp obviously had the better career overall, but i think a good amount of that was likely down to Cantona significant disciplinary issues rather than being a better player.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Brazilian Ronaldo is a striker-a 9 for me. Could definitely easily do the wide-forward role too if that been the role asked of him, but he didn't have too much playmaking or supporting another forward as a primary aim in his game imo. Usually if he was alongside a forward who did, they played the supporting role...Nilis, Raul, Baggio, Bebeto, Edmundo etc..

Is Bergkamp rated over Cantona by consensus here? from what i've watched i'd take Cantona's peak over Bergkamp's in the role at club level in England (Bergkamp being a 9 at Ajax ). Bergkamp obviously had the better career overall, but i think a good amount of that was likely down to Cantona significant disciplinary issues rather than being a better player.
The issue that complicates Ronaldo is his partnership with Vieri which was a version of the big man little man combo really.

I'd take Cantona over Bergkamp. I always thought the latter was overrated with his time at Le Arse.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

I think the difficulty is that Bergkamp had a decent international career too whereas Cantona was non-existent outside of the domestic scene.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure I fully understand the rather convoluted criteria at first glance, but I'd probably go with something like this:

1. Pelé (famously behind Coutinho for Santos)
2. Ferenc Puskás (typically supporting Hidegkuti and/or Kocsis)
3. Zico (behind Nunes at Flamengo)
4. Eusébio (behind Águas or Torres)
5. Roberto Baggio (behind Vialli, Borgonovo, Ravanelli etc.)
6. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (behind Müller, Hoeneß II, Fischer etc.)
7. Rivaldo (behind Fenômeno)
8. László Kubala (in support of César)
9. Dennis Bergkamp (behind Henry)
10. Omar Sívori (behind Charles and frequently in support of Boniperti)

All of them boast an extensive record as second strikers, and weren't the furthest forward on the pitch (outlined in brackets above) or stereotypical classic playmakers. Maradona, Messi and co. probably don't qualify given their tendencies on the ball, Cruyff and Hidegkuti weren't really second strikers if we're being honest, and Di Stéfano, Meazza, Gullit were a bit too convenient and versatile. Tempted to include Cristiano but I digressed at the last moment as he was frequently ahead of Benzema (who was in more of a supporting role) ...
I wouldn't classify Pele or Zico as second strikers. They were (especially Zico) much more closer to playmakers or AM to the SS role.

Same for Eusebio. Eusebio seems to me like a complete #9 that can also play on his own in modern times, just like Fenomeno did.

The rest of the list I agree, and can add Raul, Del Piero, Cantona, Kempes to add to that list.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Agree on Ronaldo. Him, Eusebio and Pele are all complete #9s and certainly would be in the modern game. Pele obviously spent his best years next to a #9.

As for Bergkamp I'd agree that Cantona was more influential in England. I'd take Bergkamp at Ajax ahead of anything Cantona displayed though. Plus he had as @Raees says more impact in the international game. Might not be a unanimous forum view though, we're probably a little more detached in here.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He hasn’t been mentioned, probably because he doesn’t compete with some of the very top names, but I always loved watching “The Animal” Edmundo.

He was supremely gifted and a bit of an enigma. His wild character probably made him the player he was, but at the same time, stopped a very gifted technical footballer from being on a list like this.

Still, capable of greatness on his day, and while he doesn’t make the top 10, he is definitely a name that comes to mind when I think of top SS.

Just worth a nod and an honorable mention!

GodShaveTheQueen

I think its odd not to include second strikers with good play making abilities in the list just because along with doing everything a second striker does, they could be play makers too. For me, those were the best kind of second strikers.

I also find it odd to see the likes of Fenomeno being considered in this list. Every setup with 2 strikers doesn't necessarily need a primary and second striker. Vieri and Ronaldo was one such partnership IMO.

Enigma_87

You know who
He hasn’t been mentioned, probably because he doesn’t compete with some of the very top names, but I always loved watching “The Animal” Edmundo.

He was supremely gifted and a bit of an enigma. His wild character probably made him the player he was, but at the same time, stopped a very gifted technical footballer from being on a list like this.

Still, capable of greatness on his day, and while he doesn’t make the top 10, he is definitely a name that comes to mind when I think of top SS.

Just worth a nod and an honorable mention!
Yup, good call! There is also Bebeto who played as a sidekick to Romario. Very unselfish, yet formed a pretty deadly combo.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think its odd not to include second strikers with good play making abilities in the list just because along with doing everything a second striker does, they could be play makers too. For me, those were the best kind of second strikers.

I also find it odd to see the likes of Fenomeno being considered in this list. Every setup with 2 strikers doesn't necessarily need a primary and second striker. Vieri and Ronaldo was one such partnership IMO.
On the former it would depend for me on how deep they tended to drop. I think your Albert example possibly falls into that category. On Ronaldo and Vieri, Ronaldo generally played deeper than Vieri and improved his passing when playing there. Ronaldo played off Vieri as it were

GodShaveTheQueen

On the former it would depend for me on how deep they tended to drop. I think your Albert example possibly falls into that category. On Ronaldo and Vieri, Ronaldo generally played deeper than Vieri and improved his passing when playing there. Ronaldo played off Vieri as it were
Well one of them probably always would be slightly ahead of the other, but I don't necessarily think that is enough to be classified as a second striker.

Was just googling for its definition on the internet and Wikipedia puts my thoughts very well

Second striker

Deep-lying forwards have a long history in the game, but the terminology to describe their playing activity has varied over the years. Originally such players were termed inside forwards, creative or deep-lying centre-forwards ("sub forwards"). More recently, two more variations of this old type of player have developed: the second, or shadow, or support, or auxiliary striker and, in what is in fact a distinct position unto its own, the number 10;[10][11] the former role is exemplified by players such as Dennis Bergkamp (who would play just in behind the striker Thierry Henry at Arsenal),[12] Alessandro Del Piero at Juventus,[13] Youri Djorkaeff at Inter Milan,[14][15][16] or Teddy Sheringham at Manchester United.[17] Other creative players who play further back, such as Diego Maradona, Ronaldinho and Zinedine Zidane, are often instead described as the "number 10," and usually operate as an attacking midfielder or advanced playmaker.[18]

The second striker position is a loosely defined and most often misapplied description of a player positioned in a free role, somewhere between the out-and-out striker, whether he or she is a "target-man" or more of a "poacher", and the number 10 or attacking midfielder, while possibly showing some of the characteristics of both. In fact, a term coined by French advanced playmaker Michel Platini, the "nine-and-a-half", which he used to describe the playing role of his successor in the number 10 role at Juventus, Italian playmaker Roberto Baggio, has been an attempt to become a standard in defining the position.[19] Conceivably, a number 10 can alternate as a second-striker provided that he or she is also a prolific goalscorer; otherwise, a mobile forward with good technical ability (dribbling skills and ball control), acceleration, vision, passing, and link-up play, who can both score and create opportunities for a less versatile centre-forward, is more suited. Although they are often given "licence to roam," and either run forward, or drop further back in order to pick up the ball in deeper areas, giving them more time and space in possession, second or support strikers do not tend to get as involved in the orchestration of attacks as the number 10, nor do they bring as many other players into play, since they do not share the burden of responsibility, functioning predominantly in a supporting role as assist providers.[20][21] In Italy, this role is known as a "rifinitore" or "seconda punta",[22] whereas in Brazil, it is known as "segundo atacante"[23] or "ponta-de-lança".[24]

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Italy had a great run of producing this sort of forward with Mancini-Zola-Baggio-Del Piero-Totti. Despite that they often seemed to have lots of difficulty integrating them into the national team.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
R9 was the ultimate forward, easily could spearhead the attack and play as the second striker.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Having thought about this a bit more and narrowing to what you might call more creative second-strikers, the real 10 striker hybrids I would go -

1. Pele
2. Messi (in a front two he would definitely be a second-striker)
3. Puskas
4. Zico
5. Rivaldo
6. Baggio
7. Albert
8. Sivori
9. Cantona
10. Raul

Edit - I'm pretty confident of the top 7 after that it is a bit of a toss up TBF