Top 4 finish two seasons in a row

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Means feck all that.

What means something is advancing in positions and points season on season, something only Ole and Mourinho have managed.
Mourinho: 69 > 81
Ole: 66 > mid-late 70’s*
* had a great chance for 80 had it not been for shite scheduling, also deserves extra credit for doing it whilst getting to the EL final.

Ole though, more importantly, looks in a much more promising position to advance on points again next season.
This.

I think a lot of people have forgotten how shite we generally were in Jose's 2nd place season. De Gea saved our hides again and again and it very much felt like that side had peaked.

The age profile of our core squad is much better now where most of our key players have just entered or have yet to enter their prime

A couple of key signings and its reason to be optimistic

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Some replies in here stink of entitlement.

We have a lot of reasons to feel good about the team right now, and surely the point of sport is to recognise the good moments and appreciate them. Really want to see these guys lifting a trophy later in the month

McTerminator

Should be an expectation rather than a cause for celebration.
Where have you been for the last 7+ years?

I really wish our fan base would start living in reality rather than the past.

From where we have been (which I agree is well below where we want to be) this is a good improvement and worth celebrating.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I'm not celebrating but the team has made some good progress this Season.
We only lost 4 games in the League too - less than anyone else.

flappyjay

Some replies in here stink of entitlement.

We have a lot of reasons to feel good about the team right now, and surely the point of sport is to recognise the good moments and appreciate them. Really want to see these guys lifting a trophy later in the month
Unfortunately it's a hard job convincing some people that we are making steady progress. Top 4 isn't a trophy but it is a sign that we are gaining some consistency at winning league matches. Next step is backing Ole in the summer and truly go for the league title.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Taking into consideration how difficult it is to get into the top 4, how difficult our start was and how much stick Ole gets. We are progressing well.

We need a proper title challenge next season now though.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That’s a great stat for Ole, really. A level of clear consistency that straight up nobody before him post-SAF could achieve.

It’s a shame we couldn’t get past a semi all those times last year and such, but a Europa title + a comfortable second is a season not to be sniffed at at all.

Especially when we’ve so far only lost 1 fewer than City and nearly have as many goals them — a very important stat, imo. Under Van Gaal and Mourinho we just simply never looked like a side that bags.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You can see this as a positive and still see this as far from the level Manchester United football club want to be at, btw. There’s no absolutes here. We’ve been a shite side for a while and we’re slowly remedying that.

Zen86

You can see this as a positive and still see this as far from the level Manchester United football club want to be at, btw. There’s no absolutes here. We’ve been a shite side for a while and we’re slowly remedying that.
2nd and a possible trophy isn’t far from the level we want to be at, not unless you expect the treble every year. There’s work to be done still, however we can quite easily make that step with a couple of signings in the summer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep, consistency is really important to getting ourselves back to the top.

Yo-yo'ing in and out every few years wasn't helping. You can't get your wage bill sorted, sponsors and players want to be in the big competition regularly.

You can't be taken seriously as a big team playing in the Europa, so it's definitely nice to see Ole is making the team more consistent.

I finally feel like we're getting back to where we should be. He's done a great job.

Judas

Open to offers
We're comfortably the best we've been in a long time. The standards on here are finally starting to pick up again from being near enough on the floor.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It’s the best point we have reached post Ferguson and all supporters should be pleased with that. I don’t think anyone is suggesting parades, but at least be satisfied of a significant improvement. And considering the mess that Jose left us in, a disjointed squad filled with either below par players and/or players who wanted out of the club and were collecting enormous wages. Its been a hell of job Ole has done.

Last edited:

OleBoiii

If you look at the full picture then we're clearly in our best position since Fergie retired and it's not even close. Is that gonna stop the usual Ole out posters from whining? No. They're gonna find a reason to whine no matter how this season ends.

2nd place but less than 82 points = we haven't improved since Mourinho!
82 points, but no EL trophy = this means nothing! Ole has no trophy!
82 points and EL trophy = why didn't Ole rotate his players more?! Terrible man management!
82 points, EL trophy, playing the kids = OK it worked out this time, but he took a huge risk playing the kids there! This is not sustainable long-term. Also, where are the patterns of play!?

zizou81

Yes please. Im still fuming regarding the manner in which we got knocked out. I guess there has been progression because ole is now making subs quicker and not being stubborn and leaving players on the field who are under performing or an obvious liability like fred was.

So, yes there is some progression and ole is learning on the job.

Im not celebrating, but im not feeling entitled, that's an over simplification of the feeling some of us have. I just know there is much more room for improvement.

Shaw had a good interview yesterday after the villa game. Being this close to city and looking at the points we dropped, we should have been closer. Shaw's attitude of not being content is exactly how i feel.

justsomebloke

Yes please. Im still fuming regarding the manner in which we got knocked out. I guess there has been progression because ole is now making subs quicker and not being stubborn and leaving players on the field who are under performing or an obvious liability like fred was.

Im not celebrating, but im not feeling entitled, that's an over simplification of the feeling some of us have. I just know there is much more room for improvement.

Shaw had a good interview yesterday after the villa game. Being this close to city and looking at the points we dropped, we should have been closer. Shaw's attitude of not being content is exactly how i feel.
It seems to be exactly how the players and the manager feels too.

I don't actually think he's got the wrong policy on subs, certainly not one that can be seen as a sign of stubborness or lack of ability. He's putting it on the key players to make it happen when we struggle. That's what it means to be a leader on a big team, and that's how it should be. I don't think he'd stimulate the development of the team by nicking people off and putting it on someone else's shoulders whenever it's not working well out there.

CM

Not worth celebrating but an underrated achievement. It's nice not to be in the thick of the rat race for once.

zizou81

It seems to be exactly how the players and the manager feels too.

I don't actually think he's got the wrong policy on subs, certainly not one that can be seen as a sign of stubborness or lack of ability. He's putting it on the key players to make it happen when we struggle. That's what it means to be a leader on a big team, and that's how it should be. I don't think he'd stimulate the development of the team by nicking people off and putting it on someone else's shoulders whenever it's not working well out there.
Fred was always destined to get sent off. Everyone but Ole saw it.

Anyway, point is, looks like Ole had learned his lesson the hard way. He subbed off Pogba for thr very same reason a few games ago.

justsomebloke

Fred was always destined to get sent off. Everyone but Ole saw it.

Anyway, point is, looks like Ole had learned his lesson the hard way. He subbed off Pogba for thr very same reason a few games ago.
Okay, I was assuming your point about substitutions was more general than that. Lots of people complaining he makes too few subs, and too late.

SER19

Our finishes in the last four seasons including this could feasibly be

2nd, 6th, 3rd, 2nd

Versus the four years post fergie of

7th, 4th,5th,6th

We're slowly working back to competitiveness. At the risk of sounding like a Liverpool fan i think Solskjaer being well backed this summer and of course luck with injuries could see us right in the mix for big competitions again next season

theklr

Next year will be alot tighter than this with Liverpool sorting themselves out and Chelsea probably continueing their good form with Tuchel.

Imperative we get in good players now and keep this progress going.

Stacks

Don't think I've ever celebrated getting top 4 or CL qualification. More attendance isn't celebratory and I always feel our participation is making up the numbers recently. We just crashed out at the group stages. The top 4 is more for our owners and revenue. We haven't got past the quarters since 2011 I think. that's nearly a decade of CL mediocrity yet we are meant to celebrate us getting into it like we are AEK Athens

wolvored

Well, if we've fallen that far behind, then surely it's something to get excited about that we are now taking clear steps towards getting back to where we want to be. Or should we rather just sit around sulking angrily over the fact we're no longer winning the league every second year?
We can't laugh at other teams fans celebrating this then when we do it, applaud it. If we win the Europa then that is something to celebrate.

justsomebloke

We can't laugh at other teams fans celebrating this then when we do it, applaud it. If we win the Europa then that is something to celebrate.
Well then, don't laugh at other teams celebrating this. We are certainly not in a position to scoff at an achievement we've made for the first time in 8 years.

dal

This is an outstanding achievement considering we haven’t done this since Fergie retired. Cavani was I think a bit of a master stroke and has definitely helped us.

We must keep doing this now, the aim should be top 4 every season but we need to aim for the title next season.

We must never base our success now on what Ferguson did because he was a god like figure.

If we win the europa cup he will be a most successful manager since he left and already is in my eyes.

Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellani have been sent packing and we seem to have a proper structure at the club.

Maguire although an obvious purchase has been brilliant, AWB has also added solidity and needs to keep improving, Bruno has been exceptional and true value for money and Cavani has been brilliant. James the only signing which hasn’t been great but for the money it was a good risk reward buy which we should profit on.

We now need proven premier league class attackers, Kane and Grealish would be my choice and make us incredible I think.

Regardless, for the first time in 8 years I trust the football structure at our club to make the right long term descions.

Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Pereira were our main front 4 (to an extent) for half of last season, it was remarkable we finished third.

We needed strong leadership through that period and Ole’s job was apparently on the line this season also after a run of results.

Their has been real resilience and strong leadership through tough times.

We must build on this consistency and the football must get even better. We are in a good place but at United we must never rest, they know this and are well placed to propel us further.

ReddBalls

Don't think I've ever celebrated getting top 4 or CL qualification. More attendance isn't celebratory and I always feel our participation is making up the numbers recently. We just crashed out at the group stages. The top 4 is more for our owners and revenue. We haven't got past the quarters since 2011 I think. that's nearly a decade of CL mediocrity yet we are meant to celebrate us getting into it like we are AEK Athens
So you'd prefer not qualifying then?

If we finish second and win the Europa, I'm sure we would have all accepted that beforehand. The fact Champions League football is guaranteed means we can rotate more ahead of the final, which is a big benefit. We have made progress this season, and Ole deserves a lot of credit for that. A few key signings this summer could see a real title challenge next season.

hubbuh

This is an outstanding achievement considering we haven’t done this since Fergie retired. Cavani was I think a bit of a master stroke and has definitely helped us.

We must keep doing this now, the aim should be top 4 every season but we need to aim for the title next season.

We must never base our success now on what Ferguson did because he was a god like figure.

If only wine the europa cup he will be a most successful manager since he left and already is in my eyes.

Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellani have been sent packing and we seem to have a proper structure at the club.

Maguire although an obvious purchase has been brilliant, AWB has also added solidity and needs to keep improving, Bruno has been exceptional and true value for money and Cavani has been brilliant. James the only signing which hasn’t been great but for the money it was a good risk reward buy which we should profit on.

We now need proven premier league class attackers, Kane and Grealish would be my choice and make us incredible I think.

Regardless I for the first time in 8 years trust the football structure at our club to make the right long term descions.

Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Pereira were our main front 4 (to an extent) for half of last season, it was remarkable we finished third.

We needed strong leadership through that period and Ole’s job was apparently on the line this season also after a run of results.

Their has been real resilience and strong leadership through tough times.

We must build on this consistency and the football must get even better. We are in a good place but at United we must never rest, they know this and are well placed to propel us further.
Someone's got a hard-on for the enter key.

romufc

Where have you been for the last 7+ years?

I really wish our fan base would start living in reality rather than the past.

From where we have been (which I agree is well below where we want to be) this is a good improvement and worth celebrating.
People need to move on with the times, accept this is the reality now. Its like Arsenal fans still thinking they are a big club.

Things change and we have to accept it and be proud of what we have achieved.

hubbuh

I agree with this. We are definitely improving under Ole and look better under him than we have at any point post Fergie so that's super. The manner of the CL exit was crushing, though. Given how weak the competition was, it was a massive missed opportunity. Getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Leicester was disappointing though that is the nature of knockout competition so not the end of the world. Progress has been made, finishing 2nd is an achievement and winning the EL is better than nothing. We've got a good platform to be more competitive next season assuming we recruit well in the summer. Onwards and upwards.

People need to move on with the times, accept this is the reality now. Its like Arsenal fans still thinking they are a big club.

Things change and we have to accept it and be proud of what we have achieved.
Arsenal is a big club, of course it is. They've had a lean time for a good while, but it's still a big club. When a big club is struggling it has to respond and prove its credentials. We are in a similar place: we don't just accept not being title challengers any longer; we have to battle back as a big club.

Pickle85

More than anything else I'm pleased by the season-on-season progress this group of players has shown. There's a unity of purpose there that hasn't been present for a while and all signs point to us travelling in the right direction. We've managed to shift some of the deadwood over the past few years (hopefully with more to follow at the end of this season) while, on the whole, buying sensibly and with an eye on the future. Celebrating top four feels a little small time and the sort of thing we'd take the mick out of the Goons for but I definitely think there are causes for optimism all round. That said, we do need to spend some money to ensure that the growing momentum isn't lost and we don't fall behind what's likely to be a resurgent Chelsea, a much improved Liverpool and City.

BorisManUtd

It shows how bad we've been since Fergie retired really. Even when we finished 4th under LvG in 2015 we played no European football, got trashed at MK Dons in first round of League Cup and played 5 games in FA Cup (4 of those against League one teams) so basically we played one game a week which was a big advantage and there was no real competition for top 4 as Liverpool were poor and Tottenham still average and inconsistent in first season under Pochettino.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not quite celebration worthy, I expect us to finish second and would definitely celebrate if we get the Europa. Hopefully we actually build on this and get the players in that we need, Ole has every right to feel annoyed if we don't invest fairly heavily this summer.
Did you expect us to finish 2nd before the season started?