Top 4 or win one or more of the Europa League, FA Cup or League Cup?

Hughie77

We haven't got the squad depth yet to compete fully in all comps , so far we've been very good in them and may well pick up a cup.

Europa league is a tough draw v Barca. We imo need to consolidate a top 4 spot is a massive incentive for a new owner to come in if UTD are in CL, so if a sacrifice is needed in a comp maybe through injuries suspensions etc I'd rather leave the Europa league , and concentrate on a top 4 and domestic cup, for this season anyway.

Utd though should and hopefully next season onwards be competing and winning a big one.

Hughes35

Top 4 and any trophy would be a really good season after where we have been.

If it was a choice of CL qualification (top 4 or Winning Europa) or a trophy, the CL qualification is more important than a trophy due to sponsorships, FFP, attracting players etc.

The position we're in, we really should be getting top 4 + at least one trophy.

next_number_seven

I'd prefer if we're knocked out of EL and concentrate on league and cups.

We're 6 points ahead of 5th place and a game in hand so we've very good chance of top 4. We are in a title race also if we beat Arsenal on Sunday.

I don't think the EL is worth all the travel and extra games. I think it's only valuable for CL qualification.

I'd prefer to have Ten Hag use the time on the training ground prepping for games

Pintu

Top 4 and the EL would be a great season… If no EL, then Top 4 and the FA Cup would be good enough for me… Call me crasy, but I believe we still got a shot at the PL title. Let’s do that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This is for years topic here and i still can't understand it.
What separates Man Utd and Liverpool from the rest of PL clubs? Why United and Pool are only two giant clubs in England? Number of trophies.
What separates Arsenal from Spurs and City? Again, number of trophies. City have better team and results in last 10 years than Arsenal but Arsenal is still much much bigger club than City.
With trophies comes reputation. 2nd, 3rd, 4th spots are not a trophy.

We need to win something finally. Yes, top 4 is very important for club's future but trophies are equally important. So we should go for all trophies left and what happens, happens. Taking a dive in EL or FA cup just to have slightly better chance in PL is ridiculous thing to do.

next_number_seven

Top 4 and the EL would be a great season… If no EL, then Top 4 and the FA Cup would be good enough for me… Call me crasy, but I believe we still got a shot at the PL title. Let’s do that.
I agree about shot at the title.

But I think we'd have a much better chance without the EL. Gives much more time for Ten Hag to prepare for games.
He seems very strong tactically and adapts for each game but it takes time to drill players.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Let’s do a scouse treble!!!

UEL - added bonus of CL qualification.
FA Cup - put us back level with Arsenal
EFL Cup - Should put us back over the scousers on total trophies won

And Top 4 to deny any of Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea qualification.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
5th and Europa League, still get Champion's League and we get a trophy to boot.

cyberman

Don’t think it’s either / or choice this season. Looks like we are heavy favourites for a top 4 spot now

prateik

If we win the Europa league, then great.. will take the trophy and get CL.
The target has to be to challenge for the title.. for that we need some players and keep the best ones we have..
top players want the CL.

A cup without CL is no good.. so CL qualification is the priority..

El Zoido

What separates Man Utd and Liverpool from the rest of PL clubs? Why United and Pool are only two giant clubs in England? Number of trophies.
What separates Arsenal from Spurs and City? Again, number of trophies. City have better team and results in last 10 years than Arsenal but Arsenal is still much much bigger club than City.

We need to win something finally. Yes, top 4 is very important for club's future but trophies are equally important. So we should go for all trophies left and what happens, happens. Taking a dive in EL or FA cup just to have slightly better chance in PL is ridiculous thing to do.
Financially we need CL. The game has long since changed, we absolutely must qualify for CL and any trophies are a bonus. Going for trophies and missing out on CL would be a monumental disaster.

MUFC OK

Personally want to see us finish as close to 1st as possible. We need a trophy which will most likely just be Carabao but want to confidently be able to say we can push for the title next season with a few additions.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The League Cup might not be the most prestigious but it would be a big boost for this squad to get a trophy under its belt relatively early in the season. Top four should come naturally after that. The other two cups should be the lowest priority as things stand.

cyberman

Not *that* heavy. Fivethirtyeight puts us at a 68% chance for top 4.
That’s massive when they’re basically two spots up for grabs?
I’m still waiting on these massive runs that Liverpool and Chelsea will go on that I’ve been told about since September.

GregM40

It’s mad to think Ten Hag has barely had a chance to do any real training ground work with so many midweek games. It’s basically recovery work.

Very good chance of winning League Cup and top 4, anything else would be a bonus from here on.

dalriada

The Europa League is a real slog, so that would be my lowest priority so long as we're looking good for top 4, which needs to be top priority for me. League Cup looks as if it it's winnable without too much effort, so that's worth going for. For the FA Cup, I would say use the squad/youngsters and see what happens.

dalriada

It's about how we use the squad and spread our resources rather than taking a dive. I think we have to protect the Champions League qualification, so that may mean using squad players for some of the Cup matches, otherwise we wear out our best players. If it works, all well and good, but we can see the attrition on some players already. Even SAF used to put youth players out for the League Cup.

next_number_seven

It’s mad to think Ten Hag has barely had a chance to do any real training ground work with so many midweek games. It’s basically recovery work.

Very good chance of winning League Cup and top 4, anything else would be a bonus from here on.
Exactly. Better to be knocked out of EL

The closer we finish to first, the better. More attractive to players if we're close to first

I don't think winning EL is very attractive.

If we get knocked out it gives ETH a week on the training pitch to prepare.

Cas18

Exactly. Better to be knocked out of EL

The closer we finish to first, the better. More attractive to players if we're close to first

I don't think winning EL is very attractive.

If we get knocked out it gives ETH a week on the training pitch to prepare.
For this season top 4 is a must. Europa League is so far off and we don't have the squad. League Cup is definately winnable and any trophy would be nice to get that monkey off our backs.

MegadrivePerson

Winning the Europa League would be my preference. Not only does it guarantee Champions League qualification, you are also seeded as one of the top eight seeds in the draw, so it means we will avoid the likes of PSG, at least one of Barcelona or Real Madrid in the group stages.

If we beat Barcelona we will have a really good chance of winning it. The good thing is that if we lose to Barcelona we can then concentrate on finishing as high as possible in the league anyway.

croadyman

Winning the Europa League would be my preference. Not only does it guarantee Champions League qualification, you are also seeded as one of the top eight seeds in the draw, so it means we will avoid the likes of PSG, at least one of Barcelona or Real Madrid in the group stages.

If we beat Barcelona we will have a really good chance of winning it. The good thing is that if we lose to Barcelona we can then concentrate on finishing as high as possible in the league anyway.
I will give you it's beneficial being in pot 1 for the Champions League,however have serious concerns how much it will take out of this team getting that far

buchansleftleg

A cup win proved to be a false dawn for the translator and was beyond Ole even when nearly in his grasp. I'd settle for us approaching each season like we used to....Challenge for the title - aim to be no less than 2nd place in the league. FA cup - a chance to rotate the squad early on and then go for the win when things get serious. League Cup - A chance for the squad players and youth to shine. - Should be used as a yardstick for our squad strength only.

European competition...Well that's always a lottery of injuries / dodgy refereeing and blind luck at times - If we beat Barca then we should win the Europa - but it's not really a measure of our progress. We saw how Ole could grab a result out of no-where. Champions League for next year - our target should be to get to Semi final stages. There are a lot of transitional sides in European football at the moment and (if we get the right owners / players) there is actually a real opportunity to create some dominance in European football if we get things right.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

The most sensible post on the subject so far IMO

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Win the EL and get automatic CL qualification.

Gandalf

A couple of months ago this was an either or proposition but I don't honestly see that it is now. We ought to be able to hold on to top 4 even with a little bit of rotation so no reason not to go full strength in the cups. The domestic cups are actually breaking our way for once in terms of the draws and our main rivals knocking one another out so I feel good there and if we can get past Barca there is nobody else in the EL we should be scared of. It would honestly be a huge letdown not to win some silverware this season from where we find ourselves.

mu4c_20le

The most sensible post on the subject so far IMO
If football were played on paper, it would probably make the most sense. But in reality, I don't find it glamourous at all. Sevilla won it like three times in a row and nobody cares. The league tells you how good that team is, if you finish 2nd, you are the second best in the country. If we were outside top 4 right now like last year then its a nice little backdoor.

jackal&hyde

I think that winning a trophy is super important to the morale of the squad so I will go for that. The players need to feel like they can touch trophies so they can go for more. Regardless, top 4 should already be a minimum anyway.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This season, its whatever gets this team back into the champions league. If achieving that comes with a trophy, then all the better

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Why not all??

Might be over reaching but why can't we get multiple trophies as well as top four?

witchtrials

Normally I'm a romantic about these things but getting back in to the Champions League seems pretty pivotal right now for the attempted rebuild, financially, as well as in terms of momentum, morale, appeal etc. So I'd say top 4 or Europa League win.

I'd probably rather we got there via top 4, since it seems like it'd be good for the self-belief of the squad if they manage to maintain performances over the whole season. Though winning the EL and beating Barcelona on the way would probably be good for the spirits as well.

lex talionis

Trophies are trophies, but top four in the PL is today the greatest achievement of these four competitions.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
If football were played on paper, it would probably make the most sense. But in reality, I don't find it glamourous at all. Sevilla won it like three times in a row and nobody cares. The league tells you how good that team is, if you finish 2nd, you are the second best in the country. If we were outside top 4 right now like last year then its a nice little backdoor.
A successful football team (and players) are mostly judged on what they win not that they are or played for the second best team in the country