Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

SirAnderson

It’s crazy that after how inconsistent we were early on in the season that we now have a good chance of finishing third
Those injuries really fecked us big time and came at terrible times. We were playing that first half of a season with a completely different team almost, and only toward the end of the year did that team learn to play how Ole wanted them to, which is when our unbeaten run began. A case of what could have been I guess.
I think of how lucky/fortunate Liverpool have been to not have any injuries for their key players all season bar Henderson really.
One needs that luck.
Just like right now Chelsea went and lost Kante, Gilmore to injury makes it a bit more tough with the games coming thick and fast.
Same could happen to us, so we need that bit of fortune.

choccy77

I'm kidding really, the way we're playing this season getting 9 points or 0 points would not be a surprise.

We might finish 6th, lose in the FA Cup and win the Champions League.
That would be a really remarkable achievement if we can win the Champions League.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s crazy that after how inconsistent we were early on in the season that we now have a good chance of finishing third
Not really if you understand why we were inconsistent. We lost our key player for more than half season games, which is not very usual to lose your key player for long term run. Lack of quality in the creativity department hurt us. Bruno & Pogba pretty much improve us.

On the other hand Chelsea has been inconsistent while Leicester was overachieving and started dropping form in December. They didn't improve their squad in January to fix the issue.

roseguy64

I think we should get into top 4, and then have a go at Europa with our talented youngsters. Give Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Martial, Maguire a rest for the tournament.

We could stink up the place, but we have a very good chance of getting to the final. I'd like to see Mangi, Brandon, Chong, Mason, Garner get a crack at this. It's fanciful thinking as I don't think Ole will see it like that. He'll want this squad to win a European competition for their confidence!
Absolutely zero chance of that. The only game that's likely to happen is the return leg against Astana. Otherwise, it's a 1 legged knockout. Full strength all the way.

OneUnited24

Not really if you understand why we were inconsistent. We lost our key player for more than half season games, which is not very usual to lose your key player for long term run. Lack of quality in the creativity department hurt us. Bruno & Pogba pretty much improve us.

On the other hand Chelsea has been inconsistent while Leicester was overachieving and started dropping form in December. They didn't improve their squad in January to fix the issue.
It's amazing how we are still in with a chance. Given the injuries we've had and the lack of creativity in midfield for most of the season it really shows how well Ole has done - to get enough out of the players he had available.

Leicester are fortunate to have a out and out scorer like Vardy, having a striker like that really masked the ability of the team. What i mean by that is Leicester are very solid but i've never bought into the whole "they play lovely football", SHU play better stuff. The difference in the table is down to Leicester have that striker whos going to put away at least 1 of the chances the team will create. Can you imagine Vardy in SHU? I think they'd comfortably be in the top 4.

Leicesters dip in form came around the same time Vardy's goals started to dry up... Hence why i really wanted the FA to ban him!

ManRed

We will only have ourselves to blame if we don't make top 4 from here. We have a game to play but our fixtures are far easier than Chelsea and Leicester.

Next 3 opponents are currently 12th, 14th and 16th pretty much safe from relegation and have nothing much to play for. If we win all 3 games and Chelsea drop points against Liverpool we will be gauranteed top 4.

Slysi17

If Leceister City drop points against Bournemouth Sheffield United may get 5th. Leceister City have Sheffield United, Tottenham and us in the last game. Could see Leceister City dropping points in all those games.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
If we win our next 2, with leicester playing Spurs and Sheffield United and Chelsea playing Liverpool before we play West Ham.. There’s every chance that 3rd can be wrapped up by us beating West Ham at home. That would be the dream.. Then we can send the under 13s to Leicester to give the first team a break and prevent Chelsea getting CL :lol:

RiqCantona

Think we got 49 the season after, LVG’s first season we scored about 60.
Jesus, how did we only manage 49 goals in his second season.
Still the worst season post-Fergie in my book. I couldn't stand the way we played... the never ending back passes! Ugh! I remember we had 75% possession in most games but ended up having 3 shots on target at best.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Let’s just worry about Southampton first. We no longe have to see what other teams do. If we do our job we get a CL spot.

prateik

Just saw Wolves fixtures.. If they win their games and Chelsea lose against Liverpool (possible.. despite Liverpool being drunk), Wolves finish above Chelsea..
bloody hell..
Would love it if they snuck into 5th and the CL at Chelsea's expense.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Whenever it was crucial to win this season we struggled. So I hope that is once and for all behind us and we keep winning our games to make top 4

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Well I'm very relaxed, we'll beat Sheffield United comfortably I'm very confident about that. I was more concerned with Westham and Crystal Palace as they were both London derbies, we were playing away from home and both teams always raise their game in these fixture.
Sheffield, Norwich and Wolves will be routine wins for us, nothing fancy just professional job done.
Come out of your bunker and play you coward! :lol:

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Well I'm very relaxed, we'll beat Sheffield United comfortably I'm very confident about that. I was more concerned with Westham and Crystal Palace as they were both London derbies, we were playing away from home and both teams always raise their game in these fixture.
Sheffield, Norwich and Wolves will be routine wins for us, nothing fancy just professional job done.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SirAnderson

If we win our next 2, with leicester playing Spurs and Sheffield United and Chelsea playing Liverpool before we play West Ham.. There’s every chance that 3rd can be wrapped up by us beating West Ham at home. That would be the dream.. Then we can send the under 13s to Leicester to give the first team a break and prevent Chelsea getting CL :lol:
I believe we play on the same day with the West Ham match with Chelsea playing Liverpool with a later kick off than us.
Leicester then play 2 days later.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Just saw Wolves fixtures.. If they win their games and Chelsea lose against Liverpool (possible.. despite Liverpool being drunk), Wolves finish above Chelsea..
bloody hell..
Would love it if they snuck into 5th and the CL at Chelsea's expense.
I’ve just realised Wolves play tomorrow and Wednesday. That’s a bit cruel haha.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Two really tough games this week for us. Southampton are like Liverpool lite when they are on their game. Press the hell out of you. Won't be easy.

Palace away also tough. They always give us a tough game there and they were very unlucky to lose to Chelsea 2-3.

Havak

Pokemon master
That was a hugely damaging defeat for Chelsea. Thankfully for them, beating Norwich should be a given, but they may very well need to spoil Liverpool's party and avoid defeat to Wolves as well if they want to remain in the top four. Although, I expect Man City to be banned for one season and Chelsea should hold off Wolves to finish 5th at worst if they can get a draw against either Liverpool or Wolves (assuming they smash Norwich which I think they will).

Obviously, ourselves, Leicester and Wolves have to take advantage of this slip up for it to count. I highly doubt all three teams will win their next two games to punish Chelsea completely, for example.

ArjenIsM3

To be fair, it was nothing fancy and pretty routine for Chelsea this

Shark

@NotShark
Sorry but :lol:

always_hoping

Still the worst season post-Fergie in my book. I couldn't stand the way we played... the never ending back passes! Ugh! I remember we had 75% possession in most games but ended up having 3 shots on target at best.
And it didn't matter who United was playing at the time the boring style of play was the same. I still remember attending the FA Cup 3rd tie against Sheffield United who were a League One outfit at the time. In the game Man United had about 80% possession and no shot on target all game until a penalty was awarded in 93rd minute to win the match.

rotherham_red

No Maddison for Leicester again, he's a massive miss for them, they look toothless without him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Come on Bournemouth, do us a favour, AND make the relegation zone more interesting.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The way things are panning out, if we just beat Southampton tomorrow (which I believe we will), our Top 4 slot looks pretty much nailed on.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
We are pretty shit ourselves right now, but i dont see Leicester beating utd, sheff u, or spurs. Sticking to my guns, top is nailed on utd and chelsea IMO

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If we win our next 3 very winnable fixtures and Chelsea fail to win at Anfield then we would be out of sight from them come the Leicester game given our superior GD. We really have no excuses now.

rotherham_red

We are pretty shit ourselves right now, but i dont see Leicester beating utd, sheff u, or spurs. Sticking to my guns, top is nailed on utd and chelsea IMO
I tend to agree.

I can see you guys dropping 4 or 5 points between the Wolves and the Liverpool games, but I see Leicester dropping 4-7 points themselves between the games they have remaining.

EDIT - The good thing is there will be some proper clarity by 9:30 tomorrow morning, and it might be the case that we all qualify in any case.