Top 4 Race 19/20 | duffer: "We [Chelsea] are getting 3rd. Despite what the lunatics in here think, Man United are not all that."

TheLord

We will finish third. Last game's three points were crucial.
Chelsea vs Liverpool is a biggie.

Tarrou

West Ham will be bang up for it no matter what they do against Watford

Remember a few seasons ago when we needed to beat them on the last day for UCL? feckers played like their lives depended on it and the fans were acting like it was the Champions League final itself, the cnuts

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The thought of needing to beat West Ham reminds me of Van Gaal's last season. When we lost the last ever game at Upton Park and fecked it up
Yeah but that was at Upton park and with crowd. This game will be at Old trafford.

Pagh Wraith

Latest Betfair odds. United favourites by the tiniest of margins:

United: 1.28
Chelsea: 1.30
Leicester: 2.18

Stevondo8

What chances the United ole boys doing us a favour in gw37? Mourinho and spurs to beat Leicester by a couple, moyes to allow west ham to roll over and get spanked 5/6. We then go into Leicester game 3 points clear and 3/4 ahead on goal difference.

could do with a west ham win tonight so they’re safe by the time we play them.

Jev

If Spurs beat Leicester by two goals and we beat West Ham by four, we could even lose by one goal at Leicester and still finish above them. Not likely but stranger things have happened.

A West Ham win tonight would be a boost, and it's nice to have Leicester playing first so we know what we need vs West Ham. Such an exciting end to the season this!

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
If we defeat WH at OT and Mou makes Leicester drop 2 or 3 points, I'll forgive him for the abysmal autumn 2018.

Havak

Pokemon master
Best for us if West Ham can beat Watford tonight, although as long as they don't lose I think they'll be confident of staying up. I don't expect Villa to beat Arsenal or Watford to beat Man City and those games are before West Ham play us. If West Ham got that point or more tonight, they're safe in my eyes even with a defeat to us.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's kinda impressive how easily they beat Sheffield United with all these injuries.
I'd love to agree with you but Sheffield United were pedestrian.

I rarely saw any urgency or one touch passing from them, each player was happy to take 3-5 touches of the ball and hold onto it for a good few seconds before moving it on, and they rarely even did more than jog with the ball.

I think Sheffield United wouldn't have beaten Villa yesterday.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
So, if West Ham beat Watford and Bournemouth fail to beat Southampton/Aston Villa fail to beat Arsenal, that's West Ham safe before they face us.

lysglimt

Scout
We are actually a bit lucky because both Wolves and Spurs are in good form and have everything to play for....and I cant see this Leicester-side beat Spurs away - with Kane now finally scoring again. Not to mention that Spurs are desperate to keep Arsenal behind them to get a place in Europe

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Spurs vs Leicester

Chelsea vs Liverpool

You'd expect at least one of Chelsea or Leicester to drop points in those games.

Surely.

Alemar

Get through the West Ham game first, and see where we are then.

A shame Wolves drew the other day, would be much better if they come into the final day with the slimmest chance of top 4 (both Chelsea and Leicester need to lose their next match for that to be possible though). Still, they have Europa to play for.
wolves still have a back door route to CL via Europa League, we may play them in the final

Alemar

Spurs vs Leicester

Chelsea vs Liverpool

You'd expect at least one of Chelsea or Leicester to drop points in those games.

Surely.
If Chelsea draws against Liverpool, it doesn’t change anything for us. Only if they lose, or if Leicester drops points vs Spurs, we can get a draw in the last game - otherwise we will need a win against Leicester to qualify (unless, of course, we trash West Ham by 5 goals)

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Can't play Wolves in the final, only possible way to face them is in the semi final.
Mad scenario.

Utd and Leicester get into top 4.

Wolves win Europa, Chelsea recover against Bayern and win CL. 4th drops out of CL.

Siorac

If Chelsea draws against Liverpool, it doesn’t change anything for us. Only if they lose, or if Leicester drops points vs Spurs, we can get a draw in the last game - otherwise we will need a win against Leicester to qualify (unless, of course, we trash West Ham by 5 goals)
There's also the scenario where Chelsea draw against both Liverpool and Wolves while we beat West Ham but lose to Leicester and we sneak in ahead of Chelsea on GD. It's not impossible even though it's a lot of ifs.

cyberman

Chelsea could drop points to Wolves as well so a win v West Ham would get us there, which I think they will

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If Chelsea only manage a draw against Liverpool, and we beat West Ham, we go above them in the table. That's a huge advantage going into the final game of the season.

Anything less than three points against Liverpool will see Chelsea in trouble, depending on the results around them.

Alemar

There's also the scenario where Chelsea draw against both Liverpool and Wolves while we beat West Ham but lose to Leicester and we sneak in ahead of Chelsea on GD. It's not impossible even though it's a lot of ifs.
There are many scenarios. If Leicester wins against Spurs 1-0, and we win 5-1 against West Ham, then we will have identical GD and equal number of goals scored with Leicester.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There are many scenarios. If Leicester wins against Spurs 1-0, and we win 5-1 against West Ham, then we will have identical GD and equal number of goals scored with Leicester.
We also go above Chelsea (on GD) if they lose to Liverpool and we only manage a draw against West Ham.

Dorris

Weirdly, if Liverpool beat Chelsea and we beat West Ham (both the likely outcome), it actually suits us for Leicester to beat Spurs. We could be needing a draw last game against a team which is desperate for a win, or need a draw last game with a team that is delighted with a draw. I know which I’d prefer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
West Ham will be bang up for it no matter what they do against Watford

Remember a few seasons ago when we needed to beat them on the last day for UCL? feckers played like their lives depended on it and the fans were acting like it was the Champions League final itself, the cnuts
This is at Old Trafford. The only time I can remember them doing much at OT was the year Tevez scored. But I think we anyway won the league?

For me, it's all about Spurs. We need them to turn up and turn it on against Leicester. A win there for Leicester will be one foot in the top 4 for them. Anything else and we've got a decent chance.

DoubleLeg_Savage

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know about other Chelsea fans, but I would rather Utd beat Leicester and take the top four spot if it gives us a chance at getting top four, even if it means Utd end up finishing 3rd.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Weirdly, if Liverpool beat Chelsea and we beat West Ham (both the likely outcome), it actually suits us for Leicester to beat Spurs. We could be needing a draw last game against a team which is desperate for a win, or need a draw last game with a team that is delighted with a draw. I know which I’d prefer.
Yeah Chelsea play last though so there's no way I want Leicester to beat Spurs just in case Chelsea do get something out of the Liverpool game. I'd rather know we can get away with a draw if needed. I expect our forwards to score so only needing a draw makes us massive favourites in my eyes.

Dorris

Yeah Chelsea play last though so there's no way I want Leicester to beat Spurs just in case Chelsea do get something out of the Liverpool game. I'd rather know we can get away with a draw if needed. I expect our forwards to score so only needing a draw makes us massive favourites in my eyes.
Yeh I’ll defo be wanting Spurs to win, just a weird quirk. I think Liverpool beating Chelsea is the big one for me. Its important we go into the final game with Chelsea needing a win to have any chance of overtaking us. Gives us a nice second chance if we do balls it up. Wolves is not an easy game.

Evans999

Every time we play west ham at the end of a season they seem to turn into Barcelona. More nervous for that fixture than the Leicester.

If it comes down to it with Leicester on the last day the game will have a cup final feel to it.

Missing out out on goal difference would be heartbreaking, That 9-0 against Southampton may end up being the difference.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If the next round of games finish where us and Leicester just need a draw to qualify in the final day it’ll be a bizarre game to watch. I wonder how both teams would play it

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@sammsky1 i have an issue with your tag line when @Amadaeus is clearly the number one fan :lol:
To keep on topic, we’d have top four sewn up now if we’d taken on poch, obvs not really

Kaos

Feckin Southampton.

Concede NINE goals against Leicester, proceed to play the game of their lives against us, and then bottle it against relegation fodder the next game.

Riz

I don't know about other Chelsea fans, but I would rather Utd beat Leicester and take the top four spot if it gives us a chance at getting top four, even if it means Utd end up finishing 3rd.
Well.. obviously? Why would any Chelsea fan not want a result which benefits their chance of making the top 4?

Alemar

Actually, there is a very slight possibility of a play-off match between us and Leicester - if Leicester lose to Spurs but win against us by 1 goal, and at the same time we win against West Ham by many goals. GD, goals scored and head to head parameters may all be totally equal

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Actually, there is a very slight possibility of a play-off match between us and Leicester - if Leicester lose to Spurs but win against us by 1 goal, and at the same time we win against West Ham by many goals. GD, goals scored and head to head parameters may all be totally equal
Just play extra time/penalties in our game if that happens.